ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags compulsion , deception , idiocy , Nobility , ratitude , violence

Old 13th October 2017, 02:26 AM   #361
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I will bounce this on right back to you, Kumar. You don't understand the responses here, you don't understand the links you post, I even suspect you don't always know what your own posts actually mean.

Hans
Ok as you calculate. It is personal not valid universally. Yes, due to overload some bounces can be possible but not all.
Old 13th October 2017, 03:15 AM   #362
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Suppose for example, if we have to opt either living like a bee or like that cows, what we shall prefer?
Philosophers are already referring to this as "Kumar's Dilemma"
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:05 AM   #363
Mojo
Mostly harmless

If you are sleeping, I can't wake you up. Anyway, limit to topic.

Kumar, you implied, in the last paragraph of this post, that other posters were "resist[ing] morality" and arguing against you because of vested interests.

What do you think those vested interests are, and what evidence do you have to back up your implication?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:12 AM   #364
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Kumar, you implied, in the last paragraph of this post, that other posters were "resist[ing] morality" and arguing against you because of vested interests.

What do you think those vested interests are, and what evidence do you have to back up your implication?
Better try to carefully read whole thread and know by yourself. You can do so. If cant, then forget it.
Old 13th October 2017, 04:23 AM   #365
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

This is Religion and Philosophy forum. One should talk on these levels not on science forum level by asking proofs, evidences etc.Pls take care.
Old 13th October 2017, 04:29 AM   #366
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

This is Religion and Philosophy forum. One should talk on these levels not on science forum level by asking proofs, evidences etc.Pls take care.
Bollocks.

You do understand the word bollocks, don't you? In this instance, it means that what you have just written is wrong. Completely wrong. Every single thread in this sub-forum has people routinely asking for evidence. You have no foundation for suggesting otherwise.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:46 AM   #367
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Wrong. This is the Religion and Philosophy sub-forum of the International Skeptics Forum, a forum dedicated to skeptical discussion of any topic of interest to the members within certain rules. A fundamental attribute of every part of the forum is that an unsupported claim may, and most probably will, be met with requests for evidence in support of the claim.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:56 AM   #368
Argumemnon
World Maker

I think, there is no autonomic mechanism in plants.
Amazing.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 04:58 AM   #369
Argumemnon
World Maker

Yes true. I often loose rationality for getting/interpreting the truth. My even or odd.
In preferring for a strong and heavy metal(truth) car one can be devoid of its latest features(rationality).
...what?

Sorry, it is beyond my understanding.
Yes.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:03 AM   #370
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Wrong. This is the Religion and Philosophy sub-forum of the International Skeptics Forum, a forum dedicated to skeptical discussion of any topic of interest to the members within certain rules. A fundamental attribute of every part of the forum is that an unsupported claim may, and most probably will, be met with requests for evidence in support of the claim.

Dave
Ok then, I am skeptical on all partially cooked evidences of any system. Prove all, fully. Henceforth do not call for idiocy of any evidence unless it is A&F. Making base of partially cooked evidences but asking for fully cooked one is nothing but is one sidedness, wrong perception or vested interest.
If I like to take more and more milk products, then if i say to get it ANYWAY from animals, it is nothing other then my vested interest.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:11 AM   #371
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Ok then, I am skeptical on all partially cooked evidences of any system. Prove all, fully. Henceforth do not call for idiocy of any evidence unless it is A&F. Making base of partially cooked evidences but asking for fully cooked one is nothing but is one sidedness, wrong perception or vested interest.
I suggest you research into the actual definition of skepticism rather than making up one of your own and pretending it's the same one everyone else uses. The concept of absolute and final knowledge is a foreign one to scientific skepticism; scientific understanding is always open to revision in the light of new evidence, but if current understanding is consistent with all the available evidence then it continues to be accepted. The demand "Prove all, fully" has nothing to do with scientific skepticism.

We can only guess at what you mean by "partially cooked" and "fully cooked" as it relates to evidence. I suspect it's as nonsensical as everything else you post here.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:34 AM   #372
Peregrinus
Muse

If I like to take more and more milk products, then if i say to get it ANYWAY from animals, it is nothing other then my vested interest.
Again falling back on a pathological need for "A&F," for which no rational explanation, either quantitative or philosophical, has ever been brought forth. Kumar is, if you'll pardon the expression, trying to milk a dead horse.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:34 AM   #373
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You know there is no such thing as a happy milking animal, don't you Kumar? The only reason they are lactating artificially is because their off-spring were removed from them unnaturally early.

So given that milk isn't available under your previously criteria, I ask again: what human population is sustainable using your feeding methods, and what are you going to do about the billions who would starve to death?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 05:47 AM   #374
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Again falling back on a pathological need for "A&F," for which no rational explanation, either quantitative or philosophical, has ever been brought forth. Kumar is, if you'll pardon the expression, trying to milk a dead horse.
If you can not show me any A&F evidence i.e with 100% positive results at all stages of any study including its clinical/practícal/field signíficance, do not ask for any idiocy of any such evidence. Later, I may check here many studies which you accept and is not skeptical on those even though they are not yet A&F.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:51 AM   #375
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You know there is no such thing as a happy milking animal, don't you Kumar? The only reason they are lactating artificially is because their off-spring were removed from them unnaturally early.

So given that milk isn't available under your previously criteria, I ask again: what human population is sustainable using your feeding methods, and what are you going to do about the billions who would starve to death?
Are you talking on truth or on rationals? Truth can suggest bést to take milk from happy cows but rationals and vested interests may suggest to take milk anyway. It depend on you. Here we have many happy cows.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:52 AM   #376
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Unsurprisingly, you have no idea what evidence is, Kumar. Further, you don't get to redefine it.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:53 AM   #377
Argumemnon
World Maker

Are you talking on truth or on rationals? Truth can suggest bést to take milk from happy cows but rationals and vested interests may suggest to take milk anyway. It depend on you. Here we have many happy cows.
What in the blue hell are you saying, anyway? Are you a random post generator?

Old 13th October 2017, 05:54 AM   #378
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I suggest you research into the actual definition of skepticism rather than making up one of your own and pretending it's the same one everyone else uses. The concept of absolute and final knowledge is a foreign one to scientific skepticism; scientific understanding is always open to revision in the light of new evidence, but if current understanding is consistent with all the available evidence then it continues to be accepted. The demand "Prove all, fully" has nothing to do with scientific skepticism.

We can only guess at what you mean by "partially cooked" and "fully cooked" as it relates to evidence. I suspect it's as nonsensical as everything else you post here.

Dave
If all that have cooked as per own liking, it does not mean it can also be true in A&F. People also followed Hitler etc.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:55 AM   #379
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Are you talking on truth or on rationals?
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Quote:
Truth can suggest bést to take milk from happy cows but rationals and vested interests may suggest to take milk anyway. It depend on you.
I have said that under your criteria there is no such thing as a happy cow giving milk.

Quote:
Here we have many happy cows.
Great. I am sure you do. But it was your silly notion that cows giving milk have to be happy, and I simply pointed out that if it was giving milk it was because it had had a calf forcibly removed prematurely. In other words "happy" and "milk producing" are incompatible notions.
Old 13th October 2017, 05:56 AM   #380
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

If all that have cooked as per own liking, it does not mean it can also be true in A&F. People also followed Hitler etc.
Gibberish. Sheer, incomprehensible gibberish. Nice touch with the Godwin, though.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:01 AM   #381
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, in view of many bounces, I request all to avoid TTTTs.

I am very well discussing with [b]JayUtah[\b], with healthy exchanges of views, so please avoid derailing those discussions. Sorry and Thanks.

Last edited by Kumar; 13th October 2017 at 06:04 AM.
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:05 AM   #382
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Anyway, in view of many bounces, I request all to avoid TTTTs..........
What on earth is this?
Old 13th October 2017, 06:10 AM   #383
Dave Rogers

Hitler was, of course, a leading proponent of animal welfare, probably informed by his vegetarianism (though shutting down kosher slaughterhouses was also a particularly effective means of persecuting the Jews). Animal welfare provisions formed a significant plank of Nazi party policy, to the extent that vivisection was a crime punishable by being sent to a concentration camp.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 13th October 2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:37 AM   #384
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What makes you think religion and philosophy don't involve proof? The religion section of a skeptics' forum will almost certainly revolve around attempts to prove or test religion claims. There is a lively discussion right now about proof that the Qu'ran is divine. We had a similar one over the summer about the Book of Mormon. There is another one regarding the historical and doctrinal validity of the Catholic church. A guy came back yesterday who has been trying for five years to prove mathematically that he has an immortal soul. The notion that just because you're speaking under the umbrella of religion and philosophy you have no burden of proof for allegations of fact is simply absurd.

You are making testable allegations of fact. The moral argument you wish to propound is based on the allegation that animals have the same cognitive ability and emotional depth as humans. That is a scientific claim, not a religious one. That is, it is exactly the sort of question science is meant to address. You don't get to tell science to wait outside just because you want to skip over the facts and land on the moral outrage.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:39 AM   #385
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I am very well discussing with [b]JayUtah[\b], with healthy exchanges of views, so please avoid derailing those discussions. Sorry and Thanks.
No, in an honest debate you don't get to pick and choose your opponents and you don't get to place limits on what parts of your argument your opponents may address. If you believe a post is off-topic, refer it to the moderators. Otherwise, you are responsible for addressing all arguments and all opponents. Don't blame your critics for your failure.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:40 AM   #386
Humots
Critical Thinker

"Partially cooked". Sounds a lot like what you'd get if you ran "half baked" through an English to whatever translator, and then ran the result through a whatever to English translator.

Didn't someone suggest that Kumar was writing his screeds and putting them through such a process to create his gibberish?
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 06:44 AM   #387
Argumemnon
World Maker

Fine then. You're wrong because the Zeus-Vishnu-YogSothoth pantheon is clearly the one true source of objective truth.

Old 13th October 2017, 06:45 AM   #388
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Ok then, I am skeptical on all partially cooked evidences of any system. Prove all, fully.
No, that's not how knowledge works. At some point, sooner or later, every fringe claimant tries this ploy, where he thinks that unless his opposition has all the answers, he need not respect the ones they do have. It's his mark of desperation.
Old 13th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #389
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It is true. Travel by walking id basic truth. But today, practicing only it, is irrational.
And this is a contradiction. If you can't see the contradiction between admitting you're irrational and at the same time speaking the truth, then no one here can help you. You need professional help.

Quote:
It is upto you to agree or not. But however, if you will go on impressing me that my views matches with PETA views, I shall say, grouping or common thinking exist in nature(like 12 signs/groups suggested in astrology) so I shall go deep inti PETA affairs and will thank you for provoking me,if note that their views are really good and natural.
You're the one who keeps defending PETA after having cited them both as a moral authority for your beliefs and as the academic authority for your allegations of fact. You're the one who is falling all over himself trying to find a way to defend them that doesn't sound silly. Every time you have the opportunity to denounce them, you find a way to do it that circles back around to you needing them for your argument.

At first you stonewalled, believing the accusations about PETA to be obscure, undocumented claims. In fact the most basic information anyone could have found out about them listed those and supplied the factual documentation. By demanding your critics produce the evidence, you revealed that you hadn't done even the slightest due diligence yourself on whether your source was a good one. Then you tried to say that the accusations were probably just one side of a story, when in fact PETA doesn't deny them. You tried to say PETA wasn't important to your argument, but then couldn't explain why you kept defending them. You told us you couldn't imagine how a viable organization could be so irrational, so they must somehow be okay. The claims PETA makes are not secret, and they are exactly that irrational. This is why other animal rights groups eschew them. Finally you concluded it would still be morally okay to selectively pick and choose from among their supporting statements and turn a blind eye to the moral abuses, contributions to criminals, etc.

This is not the behavior of someone who is indifferent to that group or who has evaluated them critically before relying upon them.
Old 13th October 2017, 07:02 AM   #390
sackett
Philosopher

Yesterday, for fun if not much profit, I ran a Kumar paragraph through Google Translate, English to Urdu and then back to English. It made very little difference, suggesting that Kumar composes in his native tongue and then uses machine translation to English. IOW, incoherence in, incoherence out. Who's surprised?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 07:41 AM   #391
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Good writing. Simply:

Whether bees prefer that by their own will/nature and Cows get that by their own will/nature? Whether a person is nursing and saving cows is to give service to them or to increase his profits/values in selfish commercial interests? Suppose for example, if we have to opt either living like a bee or like that cows, what we shall prefer?
Are we imagining ourselves in an alternative universe or a furry convention? Me, I prefer my present residence in the land of milk and honey.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 11:03 AM   #392
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post

No, in an honest debate you don't get to pick and choose your opponents...

It must be quite a novelty for you to find that you have been designated as LCP, though.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 11:17 AM   #393
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

No. We can atleast learn naturality from them who are living in & following nature.
Humans are animals, yes?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 11:21 AM   #394
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

How water will be getting life from its evaporation? A plant moving towards sunlight or towards nutrient souce will be getting life--so having sense of life.
You still did not define 'sense of life'?

A plant transpiring water is very similar to water evaporating from a pan.
In fact you could mechanically create the whole process (at an exaggerated scale), from root cells, to stem cells to leaf cells and create a model of transpiration in plants that transpires.

So define the actual difference.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 11:23 AM   #395
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, it is beyond my understanding.
the actions of plants do not involve thought or neural transmission.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:10 PM   #396
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Better try to carefully read whole thread and know by yourself. You can do so. If cant, then forget it.

I have read the whole thread. You have provided no evidence for your accusation that other posters are opposing you because they have vested interests. If you can't provide the evidence, you need to withdraw the accusation and apologise.

Old 13th October 2017, 01:06 PM   #397
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

MMm, Kumar, I just read some of the old threads you participated in. Please, as an old ... kind of ... friend, what has happened to you? Your English, while never very good, used to be far better. A few years ago, you generally seemed to be able to read other people's posts and reply in a somewhat comprehensible way.

What has happened? Is something wrong?

Hans
Old 13th October 2017, 02:01 PM   #398
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
MMm, Kumar, I just read some of the old threads you participated in. Please, as an old ... kind of ... friend, what has happened to you? Your English, while never very good, used to be far better. A few years ago, you generally seemed to be able to read other people's posts and reply in a somewhat comprehensible way.

What has happened? Is something wrong?

Hans
Too much homeopathy and not enough meat has produced odds
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 02:24 PM   #399
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

OT, but I had an elderly lady neighbor that had an indoor/outdoor kitty named "Moses"

Mrs. B was hard of hearing and Moses had a soft meow - Moses learned pretty quick he could meow at my door, I'd answer and he could lead me home so I'd knock on his door to get him indoors.

That was a smart animal.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2017, 02:35 PM   #400
Peregrinus
Muse

If you can not show me any A&F evidence i.e with 100% positive results at all stages .........
You are pathetically and pathologically seeking that which does not exist. Any number of attempts to tell you that have been fruitless. Perpetually seeking that which does not exist is a fool's errand.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy