ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer

Old 27th October 2017, 12:41 AM   #161
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
I do not know, whether they are existing, existed in past or can exist in future. But if we are doubting, such possibilty could be there. Otherwise why we even thought about them.

Do you have any evidence that they exist?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:50 AM   #162
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I do not know, whether they are existing, existed in past or can exist in future. But if we are doubting, such possibilty could be there. Otherwise why we even thought about them.

OK, Kumar, here's a list. Let us know whether you think each one exists:

Unicorns
The Loch Ness Monster
Frankenstein
Magnum PI
Non-Catholic gods
Darth Vader
The Phantom of the Opera
The Beast of Craggy Island

Just say yes or no for each one.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:37 AM   #163
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OK, Kumar, here's a list. Let us know whether you think each one exists:

Unicorns
The Loch Ness Monster
Frankenstein
Magnum PI
Non-Catholic gods
Darth Vader
The Phantom of the Opera
The Beast of Craggy Island

Just say yes or no for each one.
I do not know their basis as not in my culture. So can not comment.

Anyway, discussions in this topic are over for relevant subjects. We can get or give, as we are entitled. So no use to continue here except to talk TTTTs and waste each other time & energy. If anything really relevant ONLY to Cancer, will be there, I shall attend, not otherwise. Best luck.
Old 27th October 2017, 01:46 AM   #164
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Anyway, discussions in this topic are over for relevant subjects. We can get or give, as we are entitled. So no use to continue here except to talk TTTTs and waste each other time & energy. If anything really relevant ONLY to Cancer, will be there, I shall attend, not otherwise. Best luck.
This isn't your cancer thread.
But fair enough, only scientific foundations of homeopathy here...

Since you still haven't provided any, are you going to admit that homeopathy is not scientific?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 03:28 AM   #165
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post

Since you still haven't provided any, are you going to admit that homeopathy is not scientific?
This is my common thread for all science related.
Old 27th October 2017, 05:05 AM   #166
Peregrinus
Muse

Wherein you talk a great deal and say nothing.
Peregrinus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 05:14 AM   #167
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

As I said: You still haven't provided the promised scientific foundations of homeopathy.
Since you want to end this discussion, does that mean you are admitting that there are none?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 05:18 AM   #168
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Wherein you talk a great deal and say nothing.
Everywhere other than TTTTs. Mostly a deducated and dynamic competent research scientist can better understand cancer related substances in the 3 threads. Now, I am further looking for some common route to all or most infections, cancer and few inflamatory diseases. Seems possible.
Old 27th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #169
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

At least one of them can be answered from a book from your culture which you have previously mentioned here thus showing you have knowledge of it. Since you imply knowledge coming from said book you must know which one and why it is clearly one!!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 06:58 AM   #170
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Everywhere other than TTTTs. Mostly a deducated and dynamic competent research scientist can better understand cancer related substances in the 3 threads. Now, I am further looking for some common route to all or most infections, cancer and few inflamatory diseases. Seems possible.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:00 AM   #171
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
At least one of them can be answered from a book from your culture which you have previously mentioned here thus showing you have knowledge of it. Since you imply knowledge coming from said book you must know which one and why it is clearly one!!!!!!!!!
In all fairness though, your difficulties with English may make properly phrasing your answer somewhat difficult. Not our fault as we have long suggested getting help in that area!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:06 AM   #172
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
So when confronted with what your link actually says you engage in dodge and weave.

Is it hard to admit you didn't actually read it and that your use of terms is fallacious?
Embiggening, emboldening and embrowning courtesy of fuelair who wishes simply to note the dodging and weaving involved so often in these posts and threads!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 27th October 2017, 07:25 AM   #173
fagin
Illuminator

Yeah, right!

Spelling inflammatory would be a tiny, baby step.
Old 27th October 2017, 07:55 AM   #174
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So according to Kumar, if one studies Unicorns, then Unicorns must exist.

I wonder what he makes of this?

https://www.unicornshops.com/
Probably, basis of doubt may be some hídden truth.
Hmm, so if someone studies unicorns 'probably' they exist?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar

Last edited by Dancing David; 27th October 2017 at 07:56 AM.
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 07:57 AM   #175
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Game set match

the mic has been dropped
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 08:09 AM   #176
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Game set match

the mic has been dropped
Kumar has revealed a LOT about how he approaches mysteries. He assumes there must be some truth to unicorn myths because unicorn myths exist. He assumes there must be some scientific validity to homeopathy because people believe homeopathy works.

For Kumar, belief is more important than any objective efforts at exploring the world.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 11:33 AM   #177
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Obvioulsy do unicorns not only exist, but they are exploited by the sinister cadre of card carrying carnivores!

Look at this ad, in a prominent web page

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Can.../dp/B0089KZPNU

Such travesties must stop. I think that Kumar should write a letter to these people telling them to cease and desist their threat to the gentle unicorn. Or maybe suggest to PETA that they put it on their agenda.

I mean, once this kind of thing gets started what's next. Some rich rapper will be keeping a pet hippogriff in a cage, and phoenixes (or is that phoenices - grammovores need to know!) will be ingloriously plucked of their plumage for hats.

I at least promise to taper off on my sparkle habit.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 12:16 PM   #178
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Obvioulsy do unicorns not only exist, but they are exploited by the sinister cadre of card carrying carnivores!

Look at this ad, in a prominent web page

https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Can.../dp/B0089KZPNU

Such travesties must stop. I think that Kumar should write a letter to these people telling them to cease and desist their threat to the gentle unicorn. Or maybe suggest to PETA that they put it on their agenda.

I mean, once this kind of thing gets started what's next. Some rich rapper will be keeping a pet hippogriff in a cage, and phoenixes (or is that phoenices - grammovores need to know!) will be ingloriously plucked of their plumage for hats.

I at least promise to taper off on my sparkle habit.
OMFG, I can't even BEGIN to imagine the indignities needed to harvest unicorn farts!

https://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Cotto...dp/B01E9D0OR2/

Dragon meat is also for sale:
https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-TG8...dp/B00FAW08VE/

And the poor vegetarian Yetis, how many must die to feed this niche food culture?
https://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Can...dp/B01KQM3ILO/
Old 27th October 2017, 12:31 PM   #179
Crawtator
Student

Boy...I hate being completely off topic, but that probably isn't a problem in this thread, since it's been off-topic from the snap.

That being said: some of the reviews of the dragon meat posted by halleyscomet are GREAT! My favorite:

"3.0 out of 5 starsExplosively Delicious!!
ByBeverly Hillon December 4, 2013
I was a little disappointed that there was no warning label on the can alerting consumers that after eating this that they would sh#t fire for three days. On my last trip to the bathroom the shower curtains melted and the wallpaper caught on fire, quickly spreading into the attic. I managed to throw a wet towel around my seared bottom and crawl to a neighbor's house where I called 911. Although the fire department responded quickly, they had to call in additional fire departments from surrounding counties to assist with the rapidly spreading blaze. After several hours they finally enlisted the aid of the local airport and brought in a sprayer using Class A Fire Retardant Foam to put out the fire. Sadly, by the time the flames were finally extinguished the town was reduced to ash leaving only the carousel at the mall intact.

Despite the fire, third degree burns and a statement issued by the Environmental Protection Agency that the radioactive levels in the ash would make rebuilding the town anytime in the next 500 years problematic I give this product a solid 3 stars due to the delectable taste of the dragon! I expected the dragon to be tough and chewy, but instead it sizzled delightfully on the tongue and melted into sheer bliss! I would order this product again if we still had a post office."
Crawtator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 01:05 PM   #180
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Since this is already a thread about fantasy and magic:

1. The Bard: http://imgur.com/gallery/pgWCH
2. The Cleric: http://imgur.com/gallery/Q8GiD
3. The Druid: http://imgur.com/gallery/AEtZR
4. The Enchantress: http://imgur.com/gallery/6Ki6K
5. The Monk: http://imgur.com/gallery/nCFTG
6. The Paladin: http://imgur.com/gallery/3gadC
7. The Rogue: http://imgur.com/gallery/1oVs9
8. The Wizard: http://imgur.com/gallery/ByLE7
Old 27th October 2017, 01:31 PM   #181
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crawtator View Post
Boy...I hate being completely off topic, but that probably isn't a problem in this thread, since it's been off-topic from the snap.

That being said: some of the reviews of the dragon meat posted by halleyscomet are GREAT! My favorite:

"3.0 out of 5 starsExplosively Delicious!!
ByBeverly Hillon December 4, 2013
I was a little disappointed that there was no warning label on the can alerting consumers that after eating this that they would sh#t fire for three days. On my last trip to the bathroom the shower curtains melted and the wallpaper caught on fire, quickly spreading into the attic. I managed to throw a wet towel around my seared bottom and crawl to a neighbor's house where I called 911. Although the fire department responded quickly, they had to call in additional fire departments from surrounding counties to assist with the rapidly spreading blaze. After several hours they finally enlisted the aid of the local airport and brought in a sprayer using Class A Fire Retardant Foam to put out the fire. Sadly, by the time the flames were finally extinguished the town was reduced to ash leaving only the carousel at the mall intact.

Despite the fire, third degree burns and a statement issued by the Environmental Protection Agency that the radioactive levels in the ash would make rebuilding the town anytime in the next 500 years problematic I give this product a solid 3 stars due to the delectable taste of the dragon! I expected the dragon to be tough and chewy, but instead it sizzled delightfully on the tongue and melted into sheer bliss! I would order this product again if we still had a post office."
Still a better love story than Twilight.

Still more plausible than homeopathy.
Old 27th October 2017, 02:02 PM   #182
Peregrinus
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
Still more plausible than homeopathy.
A great many (if not most) things are more plausible than homeopathy.
Peregrinus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 06:40 PM   #183
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know about the meat, but I was once married to a dragon, and let me tell you though they're hot at one end they're cold at the other.

bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2017, 09:09 PM   #184
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post

That was a mistake on some other part.
Old 27th October 2017, 09:10 PM   #185
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, so if someone studies unicorns 'probably' they exist?
We may need to achieve A&F level for it.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:01 AM   #186
Peregrinus
Muse

We may need to achieve A&F level for it.
Ain't never gonna happen.
Old 28th October 2017, 01:42 AM   #187
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Ain't never gonna happen.
Yes because it is not anticipated here.
Old 28th October 2017, 05:18 AM   #188
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

That was a mistake on some other part.
And I am sure I know which one. Primary exhaust port!!!

Wash this space!

Old 28th October 2017, 05:19 AM   #189
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

All is anticipated based on past postings of abomnibbles!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 28th October 2017, 06:00 AM   #190
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I mean, once this kind of thing gets started what's next. Some rich rapper will be keeping a pet hippogriff in a cage, and phoenixes (or is that phoenices - grammovores need to know!)...

Does phoenix need a plural? I thought there was only one at a time, with the new one born out of the ashes of the old one.

Old 28th October 2017, 07:45 AM   #191
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Does phoenix need a plural? I thought there was only one at a time, with the new one born out of the ashes of the old one.
You may be right. Ancients seem uncertain on the subject, due to its rarity, the grammatical conundrum complicated by the question of whether it is even possible to speak of "a" phoenix. The omission of articles in Latin doesn't help, as translators may err. But I suspect that there are fewer than one now flying whatever their numbers once were back in the days of pure pure nature.

Last edited by bruto; 28th October 2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 28th October 2017, 08:40 AM   #192
Peregrinus
Muse

Your tagline says "To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire..." then you say it is not anticipated. One more glaring inconsistency. Self-negation. Contradiction. Plainly stupid comment.

On a simple level,it can be seen that your comments are not even good enough to be wrong.
Old 28th October 2017, 12:32 PM   #193
sackett
Philosopher

"Not in my culture." When you think about it, that's a remarkably all-purpose dodge.

Those of us brought up to recognize different ways of life (and to respect them, if we can) will, out of decency, give somebody some grace if they use the "not in my culture" reply instead of actually addressing an idea or an issue. He may really be in difficulties; let's proceed on.

I'm talking about face-to-face encounters, of course. Here on the innerweb, where anybody can look up a term in seconds, NIMC doesn't go down so readily; decency cuts both ways, after all, and a civil regard for the intelligence of your interlocutor rather obliges you to make an effort to reply. Hell, you might learn something in the process.

It sounds just a tad snotty to these old ears when somebody tries NIMC. He may be saying, "Sir, that is not in MY culture. Too bad about YOURS."

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil

Last edited by sackett; 28th October 2017 at 12:34 PM.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2017, 08:36 PM   #194
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Your tagline says "To try reach to Absolute & Final(A&F) is my honest desire..." then you say it is not anticipated. One more glaring inconsistency. Self-negation. Contradiction. Plainly stupid comment.

On a simple level,it can be seen that your comments are not even good enough to be wrong.
From my POV. it is my honest desire but from your POV it is odd anticipation. We both are interacting since long, but still we do not recognize each other face, it is A&F. If so, how can you anticipate A&F is not possible?
Old 28th October 2017, 08:41 PM   #195
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
"Not in my culture." When you think about it, that's a remarkably all-purpose dodge.

Those of us brought up to recognize different ways of life (and to respect them, if we can) will, out of decency, give somebody some grace if they use the "not in my culture" reply instead of actually addressing an idea or an issue. He may really be in difficulties; let's proceed on.

I'm talking about face-to-face encounters, of course. Here on the innerweb, where anybody can look up a term in seconds, NIMC doesn't go down so readily; decency cuts both ways, after all, and a civil regard for the intelligence of your interlocutor rather obliges you to make an effort to reply. Hell, you might learn something in the process.

It sounds just a tad snotty to these old ears when somebody tries NIMC. He may be saying, "Sir, that is not in MY culture. Too bad about YOURS."
No when I feel I do not know a thing because it didn't remained in my culture or in my learning, it is telling truth not a remarkably all-purpose dodge or even a slightest dodge.
Old 29th October 2017, 05:32 AM   #196
Peregrinus
Muse

... how can you anticipate A&F is not possible?
Very odd choice of words, that. (Anticipate; you might consult a dictionary.)

As you have described A&F the simple laws of thermodynamics, the principles describing how the Universe works, say it just is not going to work. And don't run about with claiming I say the Universe is not going to work; the workings of the Universe say your thinking is not going to work.
Old 29th October 2017, 05:34 AM   #197
Peregrinus
Muse

No when I feel I do not know a thing because it didn't remained in my culture or in my learning, it is telling truth not a remarkably all-purpose dodge or even a slightest dodge.
If I understand that, then my response is that you are committing the logical fallacy of special pleading.
Old 29th October 2017, 05:44 AM   #198
EHocking
Philosopher

It is commonly felt. Google it. Later, we can discuss it in seprate topic. Big subject. Meantime,
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_of_nature
I have posted this reply before to you when you last quoted that wiki article.

Paragraph 3 starts, “The theory that nature is permanently in balance has been largely discredited,...”

We all agree that your written English is barely comprehensible, but we also know that you are capable of reading English.

In short, the link you posted re: balance of nature, debunks the notion you think the link “proves”.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2017, 06:10 AM   #199
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
We all agree that your written English is barely comprehensible, but we also know that you are capable of reading English.

Evidence?

Quote:
In short, the link you posted re: balance of nature, debunks the notion you think the link “proves”.

In other words, the link has been kumared.

Old 29th October 2017, 07:46 AM   #200
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

From my POV. it is my honest desire but from your POV it is odd anticipation. We both are interacting since long, but still we do not recognize each other face, it is A&F. If so, how can you anticipate A&F is not possible?

Pigs can’t fly, Kumar.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology