ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags shooting incidents , Texas incidents

Old 6th November 2017, 05:29 AM   #241
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reheat View Post
No, that is not true. The vast majority of American contrary to implication on this site are not homicidal. However, the number is increasing and it is a problem. I am not young and I've never encountered another person that was even close to being homicidal. Contrary to popular believe on this site it is rare. The US is a large and diversified County with a diverse population. Stop spreading this myth because or recent events. There are elements within our society that should disappear or be rehabilitated. MAny of these are copy cat type crimes from disgruntled and evil people. It does not extend to the entire population....
The post you were replying to certainly was not saying that the US had a lot of homicidal people. He was saying that every nation has a small number of homicidal people. The difference between our nation and all those other nations is that the small number of homicidal people in America have easy access to guns. A homicidal Brit does not have easy access to guns. As a result, there are fewer homicides in Britain.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 05:40 AM   #242
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Do you understand what a varmint is? Based on your response, apparently not.
Indeed, I don't
Old 6th November 2017, 05:40 AM   #243
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I disagree. Criminals will want to have guns. It might be hard for them to get them. It might make them suspicious while trying to get them. They might get caught getting them or having them illegally.
Some of the criminals will in the end get guns. More of them will find another way. But still it would have some effect.
It depends on your definition of 'want', in the UK the advantages of carrying a gun are so outweighed by the disadvantages that the majority of criminals don't carry. Obviously the deterrent side of the equation, any hint of a gun runs you straight to the top of police priorities and consequences ranging from five years inside to being shot dead by highly trained firearms officers, is well discussed, but the other side of the equation is also valid, in a country where you're not going to find yourself cornered by a good guy with a gun willing to shoot you dead for stealing your telly there is considerably less reason to risk any of the negative consequences of carrying.

Obviously there is no magic wand, or even easy route from the current situation. But it's worth acknowledging.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 05:42 AM   #244
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

We should skip this silly investigation of what happened.
RT and Alt-right bloggers knew within minutes that the shooter was an Antifa liberal Atheist.
It's almost suspicious how well informed they are.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #245
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #246
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The post you were replying to certainly was not saying that the US had a lot of homicidal people. He was saying that every nation has a small number of homicidal people. The difference between our nation and all those other nations is that the small number of homicidal people in America have easy access to guns. A homicidal Brit does not have easy access to guns. As a result, there are fewer homicides in Britain.
I can not totally disagree, but I would rather be shot than spend the rest of my life with a disfiguring facial chemical dis-figuration.

Good freaking luck on getting rid of guns in the US. I realize you know this, but it needs to be said anyway. I would prefer to live like we are than experience another Civil War.
Old 6th November 2017, 05:55 AM   #247
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Thanks
I apologize for being curt with you and not providing a link to a definition, but I felt that your reply was discourteous too. I am not an idgit and don't intend to be treated as one.

Coyotes are a huge problem all over the US. They prey on young calves and young wildlife. Wild hogs are also a tremendous problem in recent years. They cause millions of $$ in damage to property.

Both species are not game animals and are shot on sight. I wasn't implying the other definition of varmint of the people variety. That is a more recent prevalent problem.

There has been a dramatic increase in the people problem and that is what we're discussing now. There were a few scoundrels in years past, but not to the extend we're seeing in recent years.

Last edited by Reheat; 6th November 2017 at 06:00 AM.
Reheat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 05:59 AM   #248
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Is that like all Japanese are responsible for atrocities committed by the Imperial Japanese army in China?
Trump signed a law allowing mental nutjobs to have access to guns. This was done (by trump's admission) by a mental nutjob.

Sometimes 1+1 = 2. Deal with it.
Old 6th November 2017, 06:03 AM   #249
Reheat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Trump signed a law allowing mental nutjobs to have access to guns. This was done (by trump's admission) by a mental nutjob.

Sometimes 1+1 = 2. Deal with it.
Who are those mental nutjobs to which you're referring?
Old 6th November 2017, 06:15 AM   #250
erlando
Graduate Poster

Good freaking luck on getting rid of guns in the US. I realize you know this, but it needs to be said anyway. I would prefer to live like we are than experience another Civil War.
Are your country that unstable that introducing stricter gun laws would result in civil war?

Are you all that insanely crazy?

"Trump". Oh, nevermind.
Old 6th November 2017, 06:25 AM   #251
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I would prefer to live like we are than experience another Civil War.
I think what worries some of us is that you may end up doing both.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:26 AM   #252
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I can not totally disagree, but I would rather be shot than spend the rest of my life with a disfiguring facial chemical dis-figuration.
I guess it depends on how bad it turns out to be.

It also assumes that one (having a gun) would necessarily prevent the other (having someone throw acid in your face) or that the incidence of one (gun attacks in the US) is similar to the other (acid attacks in the UK).

An acid attack in the UK is national headline news, sometimes for days. OTOH in the US gun deaths (much less just gun attacks) barely make the local news unless it's a multiple homicide or someone notable is attacked.

Is anyone suggesting getting rid of guns entirely. There are an enormous number of alternatives between the current situation and getting rid of guns altogether and, as opinion polls seem to show, some of the more moderate ones may command considerable public support.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:28 AM   #253
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Are your country that unstable that introducing stricter gun laws would result in civil war?

"Trump". Oh, nevermind.
According to some, as soon as the number of privately held guns drops below a certain threshold, the Government (notice the capital G) will declare Material Law and become a dictatorship.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:31 AM   #254
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by erlando View Post

"Trump". Oh, nevermind.
The problem with users like the one you quoted is their laughable assertion that there are a host of people that want to get rid of all guns. It's just not a realistic thing to worry about.

We want to have reasonable restrictions based on the type of person who commits these crimes and we want them to accept that there is a need to compromise.

But apparently if we don't have the perfect solution we're not supposed to even talk about it. Nope. Nothing to see here. Mentally defective scumbags need access to their guns because they're white 'Murican
Old 6th November 2017, 06:33 AM   #255
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
We should skip this silly investigation of what happened.
RT and Alt-right bloggers knew within minutes that the shooter was an Antifa liberal Atheist.
It's almost suspicious how well informed they are.
According to this article, he was an atheist.

I would hazard a guess from what his FB pals are saying about him and his Bad Conduct discharge from the airforce, he has some kind of Anti-Social Behaviour personality disorder. Add to this, his assaulting his wife and kid, and uploading a pic of his AK-assault rifle onto FB.

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/201...rings-shooter/

Quote:
Devin Kelley: He was popular among the outcasts at school.

Told Nava via the dailymail: ‘I went to school with him. We had a few conversations here and there. It’s not something I expected from him.

‘He was an outcast but not a loner. He was popular among other outcast. I haven’t spoke to him since high school.’

Another former classmate, who asked to remain anonymous: ‘I grew up going to school with him… Always creeped me out and was different.’

She said she moved away from the area while she was in junior high and lost touch with a lot of people.

However, Kelley recently commented on one of her Facebook posts.

‘I said I just want to move back to Texas,’ she said. ‘And he said something along the lines of “Texas isn’t any better”. Pretty much said he didn’t like Texas.
There seems to be a competition amongst the alienated types to see who can take out the most people for fifteen minutes of notoriety.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:40 AM   #256
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

No, that is not true. The vast majority of American contrary to implication on this site are not homicidal. However, the number is increasing and it is a problem. I am not young and I've never encountered another person that was even close to being homicidal. Contrary to popular believe on this site it is rare. The US is a large and diversified County with a diverse population. Stop spreading this myth because or recent events. There are elements within our society that should disappear or be rehabilitated. MAny of these are copy cat type crimes from disgruntled and evil people. It does not extend to the entire population....

The murder rate in the US is up to six times higher than that of comparable countries, it is perfectly reasonable to suggest that either the population as a whole is more inclined toward homicidal behaviour (which I actually indicted against BTW) or the easy access to lethal weaponry leads to what would otherwise be non lethal confrontations escalating. If you have a third option I'd be interested to hear it, really.

I am obviously not suggesting that every American is a homicidal maniac, that is a strawman, and the fact that you've not knowingly met anyone homicidal doesn't discount the difference in murder rates between the US and it's peers. This isn't something that can be handwaved away.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:42 AM   #257
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

But apparently if we don't have the perfect solution we're not supposed to even talk about it. Nope. Nothing to see here. Mentally defective scumbags need access to their guns because they're white 'Murican
Actually it indeed seems that race of mass shooters more or less copies typical racial distribution in US. You can feel united in this aspect ..
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:47 AM   #258
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Domestic Abuse and gun violence are significantly correlated. Atheism and gun violence aren't.
Old 6th November 2017, 06:58 AM   #259
sadhatter
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm of the view in the USA it is not the number of guns that are the issue but the culture in regards to guns. We have a similar problem in the UK at the moment with knives and certain parts of our society.
And you have some of the strictest knife laws in the first world.

What does that say?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:59 AM   #260
Ranb
Philosopher

If the murderer had bought the gun at a gun show will that now mean the gun seller will be prosecuted?
That would depend upon the state in which it was bought.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:14 AM   #261
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Seems odd. Typically one absolutely sure way to lose your right to own a gun in the US is to have a domestic violence problem.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:16 AM   #262
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It is legal in Texas, though I have not seen it established that he was not allowed to own firearms legally.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:18 AM   #263
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Seems odd. Typically one absolutely sure way to lose your right to own a gun in the US is to have a domestic violence problem.
But it is texas and how was anyone in the secondary market supposed to know if he was even barred from owning firearms?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:18 AM   #264
Castro
Muse

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us...ect/index.html
Quote:
...Kelley purchased the Ruger AR-556 rifle in April 2016 from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law enforcement official told CNN...
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:19 AM   #265
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This tirade is total and utterly BS. This kind of rhetoric is part of the problem. Please stop, but I fully realize that is a futile request.
It is not BS, it is a statement based on facts and evidence. Adding guns to heated arguments can easily lead to homicide, evidence shows that it often does.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:19 AM   #266
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
So law abiding gun owner before yesterday.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:24 AM   #267
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Do you realise that getting shot in the head can lead to you living with a disfiguring facial chemical-kinetic dis-figuration?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:24 AM   #268
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
And another atheist goes on a rampage.
And?
Old 6th November 2017, 07:25 AM   #269
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm of the view in the USA it is not the number of guns that are the issue but the culture in regards to guns. We have a similar problem in the UK at the moment with knives and certain parts of our society.
Certain parts of your society?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:26 AM   #270
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports are saying that he was court-martialed for assaulting his wife and child.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:27 AM   #271
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

There has been a dramatic increase in the people problem and that is what we're discussing now. There were a few scoundrels in years past, but not to the extend we're seeing in recent years.
Obvious answer: Russian divisive propaganda. The media, by spreading their Fake News, has helped us raise a subculture of people who hate our society, and attack groups of it. Churches, Las Vegas, gay night clubs. And it all started in the 50s, after McCarthy gave them the idea.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:28 AM   #272
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post

What does that say?
In the absence of any other information (such as comparative figures from around the world), not too much - especially when knives are very easy to obtain, have a host of other uses (I have dozen or more "weapons" in my kitchen and several more in the workshop) and where there aren't any particular rules about safe storage (at least as far as I am aware of).

At least order(s ?) of magnitude fewer people are deliberately killed with knives in the UK than are killed with guns in the United States, it's significantly more difficult to kill several (much less tens) of people with a knife and people standing several metres away from a knife-wielding assailant are less likely to be hit by ricochets or caught in any crossfire.

Indeed the UK knife homicide rate (around 0.3 per 100,000) is half the US knife homicide rate (around 0.7 per 100,000) so maybe those knife laws are working
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 07:29 AM   #273
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I apologize for being curt with you and not providing a link to a definition, but I felt that your reply was discourteous too. I am not an idgit and don't intend to be treated as one.

Coyotes are a huge problem all over the US. They prey on young calves and young wildlife. Wild hogs are also a tremendous problem in recent years. They cause millions of $$ in damage to property.

Both species are not game animals and are shot on sight. I wasn't implying the other definition of varmint of the people variety. That is a more recent prevalent problem.

I wasn't aware of all that and don't mind being taught.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:30 AM   #274
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

You asked for samples of mental nutjobs in a thread where one of them is the focus. I can't help it if you don't accept reality.
Yep any mass killing by white people in america is all mental health, unlike killings by brown people. So Vegas, Oklahoma city, Aurora, Charleston. The shootings at Richard Spencer's speeches and so on.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:30 AM   #275
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Specifically London and a few other big cities.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:30 AM   #276
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post

What does that say?
Not following you? What does what say about what?
Old 6th November 2017, 07:32 AM   #277
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I wasn't aware of all that and don't mind being taught.
Coyotes have even returned to suburbs and cities in the USA /DERAIL
Old 6th November 2017, 07:33 AM   #278
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Mainly, yes.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:45 AM   #279
Reheat
Illuminator

Mainly, yes.
I am consider visiting England again. I lived there for 3 years in the 80's. I was in East Anglia, but in London many times. Where or whom should I avoid.
Old 6th November 2017, 07:46 AM   #280
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I am consider visiting England again. I lived there for 3 years in the 80's. I was in East Anglia, but in London many times. Where or whom should I avoid.
I'd say nowhere and no one.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events