IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 10:33 AM   #3521
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

@OANN WOW, total election corruption in Arizona. Hearing on now! Why isn’t

Trump legal team in Arizona and on @OANN now. Big “stuff”. Enjoy!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 10:34 AM   #3522
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Latest batch goes more than 3 to 1 Biden over Trump. NY doesn't seem to like its favorite son.

Biden: 80,301,585

Trump:73,978,678

Difference:6,322,907
Old 30th November 2020, 10:51 AM   #3523
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Probably not.
More to the point, it fairly certainly doesn't matter either way when the actual point is to keep trying to create and feed outrage and greivance.
Old 30th November 2020, 11:11 AM   #3524
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Another election lawsuit rejected by Pennsylvania today. This one attempted to invalidate all no excuse mail in votes. About 2.7 million votes. This was the 12th Election lawsuit brought on behalf of Donald Trump in the State of Pennsylvania.

No excuse mail in ballots were created through bipartisan legislation more than a year ago. This was before the pandemic. The Trump legal team says they will appeal to SCOTUS.
Old 30th November 2020, 11:19 AM   #3525
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The "hearing" was, of course, a Republicans-only press conference in a hotel.
Old 30th November 2020, 11:20 AM   #3526
slyjoe
Master Poster

AZ just finished certifying the election.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 11:25 AM   #3527
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The "hearing" was, of course, a Republicans-only press conference in a hotel.
Meanwhile at the State House, the Governor of Arizona just certified the 2020 election results. This happened 3 minutes ago.

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th November 2020 at 12:24 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 11:37 AM   #3528
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Is he asking why HIS people are not doing --- stuff? Is he the boss, or what?

Hans
Old 30th November 2020, 12:20 PM   #3529
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Is he asking why HIS people are not doing --- stuff? Is he the boss, or what?

Hans
He’s just not very good at this.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 12:33 PM   #3530
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's all Rudy's fault for bringing cold coffee.
Wait a minute! Does cold coffee = cofeve?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 12:36 PM   #3531
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
He’s just not very good at this.
FTFY.

Hans
Old 30th November 2020, 12:44 PM   #3532
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is interesting. Trump is doing worse in Manhattan then he did in the Bronx. Crushed in both however.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:49 PM   #3533
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This is interesting. Trump is doing worse in Manhattan then he did in the Bronx. Crushed in both however.
To know him is to love him, I guess.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:51 PM   #3534
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Donny is not just a bad loser, he's a ******* awful winner. He whined continuously about the 2016 election, and he won that one by "a landslide". Even his catch-cry of "You're fired!" is a whine about some employee.

Just face it. Donny's motivation to get out of his stinking, orange-stained cess of a bed every day is the fresh opportunity to whine about something. Anything, even if it is the same old horse-**** that he whined about yesterday which has been thoroughly debunked three ways from Sunday in Technicolor all the way through to Christmas 2030. So even if he got everything he wanted, which he has so far in his life, he would still find a reason to whine. He is an Olympian-level ******* whiner. he could whine for the USA and become world-champion.

So now that he is getting nothing he wanted, guess what he is going to do.

Yep, you got it.
At his very core, Trump sees himself as a victim. He's a victim when he loses and even when he wins. If he wins, he should have won even bigger if not for something or someone working against him. That's why he's so paranoid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 12:52 PM   #3535
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

It’s not really a surprise. They really never liked him in NYC. He was an amusing dancing monkey on the media from time to time but his stuff was always garish and he was just plain annoying to them. The only city that probably dislikes him more would be Atlantic City.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 01:15 PM   #3536
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This election seems to prove the following maxim,

Quote:
"If you can convince the lowest white man that he is better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket.

Hell, if you give him someone to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

---- Lyndon B. Johnson

Last edited by acbytesla; 30th November 2020 at 01:22 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 01:44 PM   #3537
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Trump Tweets

Hearing? RIGTH, more like a fan boy convention. I wonder how many showed up cosplaying Roger Stone?
Old 30th November 2020, 01:50 PM   #3538
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Are the Trumpanzees much quieter than prior to the election or am I just imagining it? Shouldn't they be all up in arms about how this election was stolen?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 02:01 PM   #3539
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Since before the 2016 election, no one in the Trump entourage has leaked more self serving stuff than Jared and Ivanka.
Five years on, and the US media still give them cover as "sources" or "person who spoke on the condition of anonymity", when they leak about themselves.
Are you suggesting the intervention didn't happen?

Or that Ivanka isn't the only person who has influence over her father?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 02:03 PM   #3540
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Calling a repeat election would (a) imply an admission that they were, and (b) leave him able to claim that both were rigged.

It's not going to happen - apart from anything else the Constitution wouldn't allow it - but doing anything other than following the correct procedure at this point is giving in to Trump's tantrums. Any parent of an unruly toddler should know that's a bad idea.

Dave
This ^

You don't give a toddler their way. You ignore the tantrum quietly if you can and wait for the child to realize the tantrum wasn't effective. They will give up eventually.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 02:05 PM   #3541
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sure.

My point is that REPUBLICANS, first and foremost McConnell, would never allow a second election to happen, because most likely they would do worse.
By calling the bluff, Democrats might be able to turn the ire of the Trump crowd against the GOP instead.
Yeah... no.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:05 PM   #3542
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Advice to Rudy Giuliani

Quote:
"Avoid hair dye, whining and lying."

----------Caroline Giuliani
Old 30th November 2020, 02:07 PM   #3543
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No, I'm basing it on their desperation to find any path forward that keeps their Savior in power.
And, yet another election is going to help this how?
Old 30th November 2020, 02:08 PM   #3544
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There's a concept in compromise that you can't/shouldn't compromise with the insane because they will just move further away from sanity and demand you compromise with that.

It's same with post-fact people.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 02:08 PM   #3545
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Retweeted

TRUMP IS STILL OUR PRESIDENT@9NEWSNANCY
“@RandPaul wants an explanation on WHY Trump's "defeat" happened in FOUR DATA DUMPS between 1:34 am & 6:31 am.
We all know Trump won this election.
If we don’t fight for truth here — we will FOREVER get evil by default.
#FreeAndFairElections
Like father like son.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:16 PM   #3546
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

TRUMP IS STILL OUR PRESIDENT@9NEWSNANCY
“@RandPaul wants an explanation on WHY Trump's "defeat" happened in FOUR DATA DUMPS between 1:34 am & 6:31 am.
Because that's when the votes arrived and/or were counted. Right?

What am I missing?

What time were the data dumps supposed to happen?
Old 30th November 2020, 02:16 PM   #3547
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
At his very core, Trump sees himself as a victim. He's a victim when he loses and even when he wins. If he wins, he should have won even bigger if not for something or someone working against him. That's why he's so paranoid.
It caused him pain that Hillary won the popular vote and more people went to Obama's inauguration. Trump believed (still does) that he is so special his election should have been a worldwide event. He always uses a version of this language: the best anyone has ever seen.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:18 PM   #3548
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Are the Trumpanzees much quieter than prior to the election or am I just imagining it? Shouldn't they be all up in arms about how this election was stolen?
I believe that enthusiasm has faded by attrition. Had there actually been any evidence I'm sure they'd still be excited.

As the curtain is pulled back further and further, more and more people see the con revealed.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th November 2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:23 PM   #3549
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It caused him pain that Hillary won the popular vote and more people went to Obama's inauguration. Trump believed (still does) that he is so special his election should have been a worldwide event. He always uses a version of this language: the best anyone has ever seen.
He's still a scared and lonely little child desperately seeking attention from any adult in the room. It is the only pang of sympathy I have for him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 02:27 PM   #3550
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Are you suggesting the intervention didn't happen?

Or that Ivanka isn't the only person who has influence over her father?
No way for us to know if and how Ivanka intervened.

What I'm suggesting is that the Kushners have been playing the journalists feeding on "access" for years.

In the early days of the Trump admin, when I was still sometimes watching parts of Morning Joe, you could hear Scarborough channelling Jared.

Each time Trump did something disgusting ( happened a lot), there inevitably was an article ( often in the NYT), telling how, according to sources, Ivanka was trying to mollify Trump.
There is no publicly available evidence that Ivanka was a moderating force in the WH, only anonymous sources claiming she was.

I do suggest (although I obviously can't prove it, as I'm not, say, Maggie Haberman) that those anonymous sources were mostly Jared and Ivanka.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #3551
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Wisconsin officially certifies election for Joe Biden

That's it.

All 6 key battleground states where Trump needed to win 3 have all certified the election for Joe Biden.
Old 30th November 2020, 02:44 PM   #3552
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I like this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

A Republican congressman from Michigan who decided to not run for reelection this time responded to a Trump tweet about election fraud, and ended his response tweet with #stopthestupid.

It's a pity that more Republican officials can't bring themselves to say that, even if not in such forceful terms. How about maybe, just maybe, some nice statement of, "It's time to accept the judgement of the people."

(It was hard to type that example sentence without including "moron", or, uhhh, something that the autocensor would just bleep out.)
Old 30th November 2020, 02:45 PM   #3553
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I like this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgdhp

A Republican congressman from Michigan who decided to not run for reelection this time responded to a Trump tweet about election fraud, and ended his response tweet with #stopthestupid.

It's a pity that more Republican officials can't bring themselves to say that, even if not in such forceful terms. How about maybe, just maybe, some nice statement of, "It's time to accept the judgement of the people."

(It was hard to type that example sentence without including "moron", or, uhhh, something that the autocensor would just bleep out.)
Old 30th November 2020, 02:46 PM   #3554
eerok
Quixoticist

That's it.

All 6 key battleground states where Trump needed to win 3 have all certified the election for Joe Biden.
Wisconsin certification makes my day complete. I might as well start drinking.

Now there's 8 December and 14 December to look forward to.
Old 30th November 2020, 03:04 PM   #3555
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost... little blue dents in the red wave.

... the people have made an unmistakable statement that they do not see the Democrats as offering what they want; the overall result is a thorough repudiation of Trump individually, and of democrats generally. And most Democrats are continuing to pay no attention to that fact.
What, specifically, do you suggest the Dems do about this, starting with Biden?
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Identify, and fight for, policy positions which are popular and easy for the Democrats to put their stamp on in contrast with Republican positions on the same issues.

It might sound obvious, as in "Well of course that's what political parties do because that's what politics is about", but it's not what most Democrats have been doing. How often have you seen & heard any of them pushing a message of exactly what they want the government to do and why they want it to do that? (And of the little sliver of samples of that, how often was the message clear, clearly different from the Republicans', and clearly on the side of what the people want?)

And this includes not just choosing which policies to push, but even the basic concept of choosing to spend their time in public view pushing policies at all, instead of distractions like "identity politics" and insult-competitions, which don't draw votes in their direction because they don't tell voters what they would have the government actually do about issues.
Which is exactly what McGovern did in 1972. You think the environment is better for sober policy discussion now?
Yes, but also, "sober discussion" isn't even the only way to focus on issues & policies and contrast yourself with the other party. Short slogans & sound bites can and should a draw clear distinction with the other party on issues & policies too.

Back when this idea of the Democrats needing to live in hiding and never dare mention a policy that might actually help the people began, the narrative was entirely controlled by just a few news entities which always agreed with each other on things like being scared of the Commies. But now, there are more information sources available, so people can find perspectives that the few big gatekeepers who were around back then can't control, both bad and good. Nobody's scared of the Commies anymore.

One sign that the environment is better for campaigning on policies now is the fact that the word "socialist" doesn't even have a negative effect on one's public image anymore. But that's been found not only by surveys but also by election campaigns & results; focus on policies & issues has been the single most accurate predictor of electoral success. In the last few rounds of elections, since a bit more of the talk in the news has been about progressives coming out of the closet and campaigning on issues & policies, Democrats who campaigned on a policy message won, and those who lost were those who had no particular policy message. The strategy of avoidance and trying to blend in with the Republicans and be unnoticed, which had its death-grip on the party for decades before, is how they lost hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of seats all over the country just since Obama's time alone.

On top of that, although the latter (those who lost) were quick to dishonestly blame the former (those who won) for their losses, the types of Republican campaigns & ads that were actually run against them show the reality of how their Republican opponents beat them. The successful Republicans didn't equate these losing Democrats with other further-left Democrat who won, or touch "socialism", or touch popular left-wing policy positions that these Democrats weren't even running on anyway, or even touch "defund the police". The successful Republicans were the ones who depicted their Democrat opponents as exactly the opposite of the left-wing hippie Democrat who wants the government to do too much good for the people: the rich corrupt bribed corporate elitist Democrat who's only in it for the money for himself/herself. Republican ads on other stuff like "socialist" and "defund the police", which most Democrats were so scared of, not only were rare but also weren't even effective when tried.

And, of course, the only two Democrats who've won the Presidency since the 1980s without a deranged & drugged-up orangutan for an opponent ran on campaigns about how much they were going to "change" everything and how much more the government should do for its people, while all the Democrat candidates in the same period who ran the allegedly "safe" way, promising to do nothing in particular except keep the Republicans happy, invariably lost.

For this most recent election, all you needed to do to predict what would happen was look at the two parties' national conventions. The Republicans talked about all the nifty Republican stuff they had (supposedly) done or wanted to do. The Democrats didn't mention ever actually doing anything. The closest they got was implication by way of who was and wasn't included in the show, and that not only failed to draw a distinction from Republicans but even actually favored Republicans over the badwrongevil (might disrupt our corrupt gravy train) side of their own party. As I said at the time, one party was trying to win by giving voters a reason to vote for them, and the other was trying to lose by making sure there was nothing positive about them to want to vote for. Well, now that the results are in for this election overall, it's clear that, outside of the Presidency, they both succeeded.

Republicans mostly go with what works and avoid what doesn't, because they campaign to win. Most Democrats don't, and as long as that remains the case (starting with denying that elections have been coming out the way they've been coming out), they'll continue getting results that look like it.

Last edited by Delvo; 30th November 2020 at 03:43 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 03:07 PM   #3556
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Wisconsin certification makes my day complete. I might as well start drinking.

Now there's 8 December and 14 December to look forward to.
Yep, Safe Harbor and the Electoral College vote.
Old 30th November 2020, 03:20 PM   #3557
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He's still a scared and lonely little child desperately seeking attention from any adult in the room. It is the only pang of sympathy I have for him.
I lost all sympathy for the SOB a long time ago.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 03:22 PM   #3558
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That's it.

And now the attention of the Bsdger state will focus on if the Packers can make the playoffs...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 03:25 PM   #3559
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
It’s not really a surprise. They really never liked him in NYC. He was an amusing dancing monkey on the media from time to time but his stuff was always garish and he was just plain annoying to them. The only city that probably dislikes him more would be Atlantic City.
Nobody in NYC Liked Trump;people who did business with him least of all.
People do not get that Trump's reputation in the New York BUsiness world has been terrible for a long,long time. He always screws over his business partners. That is why he has to get overseas money;nobody in the US will fund him.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th November 2020, 03:25 PM   #3560
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

No way for us to know if and how Ivanka intervened.
Yeah we do.

The intervention was reported by a source MSNBC deemed credible. Ivanka has been known to influence 'daddy'.

... There is no publicly available evidence that Ivanka was a moderating force in the WH, only anonymous sources claiming she was....
Don't know don't care who the reliable source was. Other people were in the room including Hope Hicks.

But as for the public evidence, Trump has a long history, his life is on public display.

NBC Insiders Describe ‘Nightmare’ of Working with Donald Trump on ‘The Apprentice’

There is a ton of this stuff out there. In particular there is Noel Casler who has ignored his NDA to speak out.

This is the 30 minute version. I listened to an hour+ long podcast interviewing this guy.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Ignoring the stuff about Trump's issues with incontinence, fact checking this guy panned out that he is telling the truth.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics