IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 24th July 2020, 02:20 PM   #401
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Apparently the U.K. could require foreign states to name their spies operating in the country on a government register
https://trib.al/KmU2lLz

Meanwhile Priti Patel says all burglars must wear striped tops and masks carrying a bag marked “swag”
Not as daft as you make it sound. Australia and the US already have similar legislation. I doubt they expect all spies to be declared, but any that are not registered and then discovered can be dealt with by prosecution and/or deportation.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:38 PM   #402
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
How about

"There'll be be be blue clouds (of diesel) over
The white cliffs of Dover"

?
The road is long
With many a lorry park
That leads us to you know where
You know where
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:51 PM   #403
Ulf Nereng
Muse

(Lorry driver song!)

Many borders to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Paperwork just sucks
As I'm parked along the white cliffs of Dover
Many borders to cross
And it's only my lunch that keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years
And I merely survive because of my pride
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's such a drag to be on your own
We left the EU and I don't know why
Well I guess, I have to try

(Sorry, I'm in a strange mood right now)
Ulf Nereng is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:31 AM   #404
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris has quietly scrapped manifesto plans to set up a 'Constitution, Democracy and Human Rights Commission'.
Instead he is forming an 'expert panel' of advisers in the Cabinet Office to look at the role of Judicial Review with a view to curbing courts 'interference' in politics and their powers to "conduct politics by another means"

Wonder who he will put on his 'panel'?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:32 AM   #405
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This Cummings government has almost total control of the democratic institutions, except the independent Judiciary. It is going to use the summer recess to destroy that.
It can then do whatever it wants without checks.

The Tory Reich
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:43 AM   #406
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Boris has quietly scrapped manifesto plans to set up a 'Constitution, Democracy and Human Rights Commission'.
Instead he is forming an 'expert panel' of advisers in the Cabinet Office to look at the role of Judicial Review with a view to curbing courts 'interference' in politics and their powers to "conduct politics by another means"

Or, to put it another way, the revenge against the Supreme Court begins here.
Old 25th July 2020, 08:44 AM   #407
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

This Cummings government has almost total control of the democratic institutions, except the independent Judiciary. It is going to use the summer recess to destroy that.
It can then do whatever it wants without checks.

The Tory Reich

Well the Tory Party is the political arm of an establishment that ultimately goes back to titles doled out by William the Conqueror. So how long is that?...

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 01:26 PM   #408
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Well the Tory Party is the political arm of an establishment that ultimately goes back to titles doled out by William the Conqueror. So how long is that?...
Close to a thousand years
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:11 PM   #409
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Close to a thousand years
I can't help but feel that number is somehow significant....

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 11:09 PM   #410
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I can't help but feel that number is somehow significant....
You're reich, I mean right.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 12:03 AM   #411
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
(Lorry driver song!)

Many borders to cross
But I can't seem to find my way over
Paperwork just sucks
As I'm parked along the white cliffs of Dover
Many borders to cross
And it's only my lunch that keeps me alive
I've been licked, washed up for years
And I merely survive because of my pride
And this loneliness won't leave me alone
It's such a drag to be on your own
We left the EU and I don't know why
Well I guess, I have to try

(Sorry, I'm in a strange mood right now)

While we're on the road
To where? Who knows where!
But the load doesn't weigh me down at all
He's fricking heavy he's our PM.

I'm going now.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 03:31 AM   #412
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Andrea Jenkyns thinks that trading with the EU solely on WTO terms will be a great thing.
She can't name which other countries do this though.
The list is Cuba, Venezuela, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, North Korea...
Old 26th July 2020, 03:48 AM   #413
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Andrea Jenkyns thinks that trading with the EU solely on WTO terms will be a great thing.
She can't name which other countries do this though.
The list is Cuba, Venezuela, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, North Korea...
It's worked well enough for Russia, they had enough spare cash to fund at least two Brexit organisations
Old 26th July 2020, 04:10 AM   #414
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Old 27th July 2020, 06:58 PM   #415
Wudang
BOFH

Well played gentlemen both.
Old 28th July 2020, 11:24 PM   #416
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Missed this from a month ago but A Different Bias Youtube video brought this to my attention.

Quote:
The pound is now an emerging-market currency in all but name, according to analysts at Bank of America, who say that Brexit has turned it into a mirror of the “small and shrinking” UK economy.
https://www.ft.com/content/4fd04fd9-...1-97466f226159

This isn't new to Remoaners like me but surely this should be some kind of wake-up call to the Government ?

So much Brexit good news

Quote:
But on-off trade talks between the UK and the EU have hurt sentiment towards the pound. The possibility of the Bank of England pursuing negative interest rates has also curbed the currency’s rally — as has the country’s ballooning fiscal deficit following a huge increase in spending to alleviate the worst effects of coronavirus.

Headwinds are continuing to build for sterling, said Mr Sharma, given the year-end deadline for finalising the EU trade relationship and the country’s persistent current account deficit.

“We believe sterling is in the process of evolving into a currency that resembles the underlying reality of the British economy: small and shrinking with a growing dual deficit problem similar to more liquid [emerging market] currencies,” he said.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:57 PM   #417
Ulf Nereng
Muse

Missed this from a month ago but A Different Bias Youtube video brought this to my attention.

https://www.ft.com/content/4fd04fd9-...1-97466f226159

This isn't new to Remoaners like me but surely this should be some kind of wake-up call to the Government ?

So much Brexit good news
Doesn't "emerging market" sort of indicate that it is growing, becoming more important? They need a new term, methinks.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:15 AM   #418
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If only there had been some kind of project to warn people. But I fear not.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:32 AM   #419
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
https://i.imgur.com/VuA7Pe3.png?1

Brexit voters aren't going to get away that easily

That looks like something that whatever party business Nigel Farage is currently shilling for would have produced. I presume that the subtext is that had he been in charge of the negotiations, it would have been the easiest deal in history - instead the Conservative Party's lack of commitment to the cause has resulted in this failure.

If Brexit voters voted for having all the benefits of EU membership but none of the responsibilities, then they are as culpable as the people who promised them that it was possible.
Old 30th July 2020, 03:18 AM   #420
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

https://i.imgur.com/VuA7Pe3.png?1

Wait so "We were lying but when they told the same lies we thought they were telling the truth" has replaced "We knew we were lying but your side was telling the truth when we said you were lying and so this is what we knowingly voted for" as the official excuse line?

The steps of the Self Harm Tango are so damn complicated.

Old 30th July 2020, 04:48 AM   #421
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Brexit: Boris Johnson faces Eurotunnel test

Quote:
Unless there is an overarching deal with one body responsible for legal disputes regarding the entire 30-mile (50km) tunnel there will be chaos, insiders say.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:17 AM   #422
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Brexit: Boris Johnson faces Eurotunnel test

Quote:
Unless there is an overarching deal with one body responsible for legal disputes regarding the entire 30-mile (50km) tunnel there will be chaos, insiders say.
FTFY

Last edited by The Don; 30th July 2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 30th July 2020, 05:34 AM   #423
Mojo
Mostly harmless

That looks like something that whatever party business Nigel Farage is currently shilling for would have produced. I presume that the subtext is that had he been in charge of the negotiations, it would have been the easiest deal in history - instead the Conservative Party's lack of commitment to the cause has resulted in this failure.

If Brexit voters voted for having all the benefits of EU membership but none of the responsibilities, then they are as culpable as the people who promised them that it was possible.

If only the Tories had put Brexiteers in charge of the Foreign Office, the Department for International Trade and the Department for Exiting the European Union, I’m sure we would have a marvellous deal in place by now.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:37 AM   #424
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

We voted to have our cake and eat it to and it's everyone eles fault we're not getting that.
What is it with the English idea that if people vote for it it MUST happen?
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:45 AM   #425
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If only the Tories had put Brexiteers in charge of the Foreign Office, the Department for International Trade and the Department for Exiting the European Union, I’m sure we would have a marvellous deal in place by now.
The trouble is that they were undermined by their civil servants (which is why the civil service must be reformed), Conservatives who weren't behind Brexit, the opposition parties, and the 48% of people who voted Remain.

If only everyone in the UK had wanted it badly enough then the EU would have buckled and the UK would have got the deal we demanded wanted requested deserved.
Old 30th July 2020, 06:24 AM   #426
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

The trouble is that they were undermined by their civil servants (which is why the civil service must be reformed), Conservatives who weren't behind Brexit, the opposition parties, and the 48% of people who voted Remain.

If only everyone in the UK had wanted it badly enough then the EU would have buckled and the UK would have got the deal we demanded wanted requested deserved.
I think the problem is that we will.

Old 30th July 2020, 08:52 AM   #427
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes "the obvious lies, told by people who are well-known liars, turned out to be lies!" isn't much of a defence, really.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:02 AM   #428
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
We voted to have our cake and eat it to and it's everyone eles fault we're not getting that.
What is it with the English idea that if people vote for it it MUST happen?
Well there was that unfortunate promise made by the then prime minister that whatever people voted for they would do. Of course he didn't imagine there was any real risk the people would be mad enough to vote for magic cake.

But over the coming year or so I expect we'll see a variety of excuses for why the chumps who voted for magic cake weren't in any way to blame when it turns out the cake is a lie.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:42 AM   #429
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well there was that unfortunate promise made by the then prime minister that whatever people voted for they would do. Of course he didn't imagine there was any real risk the people would be mad enough to vote for magic cake.
He might have had some inkling, since he only said it would be abided by, rather than making it actually binding. Then he saw catastrophe coming and went "oh well, not my problem, ta-ra!"
Old 30th July 2020, 02:59 PM   #430
ceptimus
puzzler

The tunnel is owned by Getlink - a French company, so it makes sense for any internal disputes regarding tunnel operation to be decided by the ECJ.

The British will, of course, reserve the right to stop all traffic and passengers entering and leaving the tunnel at the British end if they are sufficiently unhappy with any ECJ rulings - and the ECJ will have no power to prevent that.

It's no different to the way foreign airlines operate in and out of airports in independent countries. It's just the usual nonsense from remain supporters trying to imagine problems where internationally accepted solutions have already existed for decades or centuries.

Last edited by ceptimus; 30th July 2020 at 03:00 PM.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 12:42 AM   #431
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
The tunnel is owned by Getlink - a French company, so it makes sense for any internal disputes regarding tunnel operation to be decided by the ECJ.

The British will, of course, reserve the right to stop all traffic and passengers entering and leaving the tunnel at the British end if they are sufficiently unhappy with any ECJ rulings - and the ECJ will have no power to prevent that.

It's no different to the way foreign airlines operate in and out of airports in independent countries. It's just the usual nonsense from remain supporters trying to imagine problems where internationally accepted solutions have already existed for decades or centuries.
Has this change you outline been announced? I missed it. Previously all UK checks were done in France and vice versa, in order to avoid delays on arrival and to reduce the problem of illegal immigrants entering Britain. We didn't let them on trains.

Are we now abandoning that internationally accepted solution and will instead have checks and delays in the UK and the evil French loading illegals onto trains for us to deal with?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 05:31 AM   #432
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Yes "the obvious lies, told by people who are well-known liars, that we were told were lies, turned out to be lies!" isn't much of a defence, really.

FTFY

Old 31st July 2020, 05:41 AM   #433
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FTFY
I honestly can't make sense of that sentence now. What are you trying to say?
Old 31st July 2020, 07:49 AM   #434
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Remember folks, it's the EU that's the undemocratic institution.

BBC Politics
@BBCPolitics
Cricket legend Sir Ian Botham to join House of Lords
http://bbc.in/2PbZ3Vl
Old 31st July 2020, 08:00 AM   #435
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I honestly can't make sense of that sentence now. What are you trying to say?
That not only were the lies obvious, and the people telling them known liars, but it was repeatedly made clear that lies were being told ?
Old 31st July 2020, 09:27 AM   #436
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Cominic Dummings and Joris Bohnson, the two "Nissan executives" that told him earlier in the year that the company would drop it's European markets in a no deal brexit scenario.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 02:51 PM   #437
catsmate
No longer the 1

Sigh. Then France complains to the EU and sanctions are imposed on the tattered remnants of the UK economy.
There's also the teeny matter of the Treaty of Canterbury but I wouldn;t expect a Brexiteer to understand that, let alone comprehend the niceties of international relations.

Sigh. Yes it is different. You may not want to accept this uncomfortable reality, but it is.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd August 2020 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Broken quote tags
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 02:56 PM   #438
catsmate
No longer the 1

That not only were the lies obvious, and the people telling them known liars, but it was repeatedly made clear that lies were being told ?
Because the whole Brexit nonsense appealed to the 3Ds, i.e.the UK's equivalent of Trumpettes.
Those too Dumb to realise that they were being told a rather obvious pack of lies, mixed with fear and dislike of those more skilled, intelligent and educated than they.
Those Desperate enough to believe any nonsense because their communities had been devastated by economic decay and they needed someone (Europeans, immigrants, small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri) else to blame.
The Deplorables; the racists, Little Englanders, xenophobes and general bigots.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 04:15 PM   #439
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because the whole Brexit nonsense appealed to the 3Ds, i.e.the UK's equivalent of Trumpettes.
Let us consider that.

Those too Dumb to realise that they were being told a rather obvious pack of lies, mixed with fear and dislike of those more skilled, intelligent and educated than they.
Fear? Or jealousy? It is merely the extension of the English class system. It is endemic in English society. If you take the time to rise from the lower classes and obtain an education, then you must be torn down.

Those Desperate enough to believe any nonsense because their communities had been devastated by economic decay and they needed someone (Europeans, immigrants, small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri) else to blame.
And when they achieve that, what will be the next excuse for failure? The UK depends on an army of brown people to bolster their economy. What will happen when they ban them?

The Deplorables; the racists, Little Englanders, xenophobes and general bigots.
That would be the folks who still think they have an EMPIRE. Or that they even matter a whole lot. Those are wingnuts.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 05:51 PM   #440
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris has given Jo his Remain-supporting younger brother, who quit as a minister last year in protest at government policy a peerage.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics