IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Nathan Larson , pedophiles , Virginia elections , Virginia politics

Reply
Old 1st June 2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,350
Another pedophile running for Congress

In Virginia this time; his name is Nathan Larson and he has run pro-pedophilia message boards, as well as one for "incels" which advocates "making the jailbaits our rape-slaves" as a solution to their frustrations. This Huffington Post article contains a few quotes from some of his posts and some of them are quite amazing. He self-describes as a "hebephilic rapist" although at one point he expresses a desire to have sex with his daughter, who is three years old (and not in his custody, thankfully).

He believes that running a pro-Trump platform will garner votes despite his pro-rape/pro-pedophile/pro-womenkilling positions because that camp of voters will turn a blind eye to questions of morality or ethics as long as a candidate parrots the faux anti-establishment populism closely enough - which is correct of at least a good portion of them, as we have all witnessed over the past year (Moore being a shining example).
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 41,468
In before partisan accusations of "He's a Typical Republican/Democrat".


He's running as an independent. No one claims him.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,164
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
He believes that running a pro-Trump platform....
Let me just point out that the reference to his "pro-Trump platform" in the original article consists of this one quote at the end of the piece:

Quote:
He continued, “A lot of people who disagreed with someone like Trump … might vote for them anyway just because the establishment doesn’t like them.”
They voted for him they might vote for me doesn't sound like he's endorsing Trump, by any means. It sounds like a Hail Mary pass.

BTW, guess who we have to thank for the fact that this clown can vote, let alone run for office? Terry McAwful:

Quote:
Larson’s political ambitions span more than a decade. He first ran for Congress in Virginia’s 1st District in 2008 on what he described as an “anarcho-capitalist” platform. That same year, he sent a letter to the Secret Service threatening to kill the president, which landed him in federal prison for 14 months and barred him from seeking public office.

But in 2016, then-Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) restored voting and other civil rights to thousands of felons, allowing Larson to campaign yet again. In 2017 he ran in Virginia’s House of Delegates District 31 and secured less than 2 percent of the vote. Now he is gunning for a seat in Virginia’s 10th Congressional District.
And the president he threatened to kill was George W. Bush.

So I'm going to go with total kook with zero connection to Trump or the Republicans. Only connection to the Democrats is that this is the kind of guy they think should have his voting rights restored.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.

Last edited by Brainster; 1st June 2018 at 12:42 AM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:47 AM   #4
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,295
...

...

Well, technically, that just means he's *attracted* to children. As long as he doesn't actually advocate hurting them, I guess maybe there's some possi-

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
In Virginia this time; his name is Nathan Larson and he has run pro-pedophilia message boards, as well as one for "incels" which advocates "making the jailbaits our rape-slaves" as a solution to their frustrations.
dammit. Well, that puts him firmly in R. Kelly territory, then. Nope, no use for him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:13 AM   #5
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,350
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
They voted for him they might vote for me doesn't sound like he's endorsing Trump, by any means.
Well, you know what - that's fair. But:

Quote:
“A lot of people are tired of political correctness and being constrained by it,” he said. “People prefer when there’s an outsider who doesn’t have anything to lose and is willing to say what’s on a lot of people’s minds.”

...

According to Larson’s campaign manifesto, his platform as a “quasi-neoreactionary libertarian” candidate includes protecting gun ownership rights, establishing free trade and protecting “benevolent white supremacy,"...

...

In the manifesto, Larson called Nazi leader Adolf Hitler a “white supremacist hero.” He urged Congress to repeal the Violence Against Women Act, adding, “We need to switch to a system that classifies women as property, initially of their fathers and later of their husbands.” He also showed sympathy for men who identify as involuntary celibates, or incels, suggesting it is unfair that they “are forced to pay taxes for schools, welfare, and other support for other men’s children.”
There's a very specific and well-defined political philosophy that's on display in these statements; and as a practical matter of fact it is a philosophy whose adherents in the present day support Donald Trump. There is nothing at all that ambiguous about it.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:41 AM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,164
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well, you know what - that's fair. But:



There's a very specific and well-defined political philosophy that's on display in these statements; and as a practical matter of fact it is a philosophy whose adherents in the present day support Donald Trump. There is nothing at all that ambiguous about it.
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?

I'll tell you why. Because McAwful couldn't be bothered reviewing every case to see who deserved their rights restored or not, for the simple reason that they assumed most ex-felons would vote for the Democrats. Let them all vote.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:48 AM   #7
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,281
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Let me just point out that the reference to his "pro-Trump platform" in the original article consists of this one quote at the end of the piece:



They voted for him they might vote for me doesn't sound like he's endorsing Trump, by any means. It sounds like a Hail Mary pass.
I wouldn't say he running a Trump platform, but he makes a connection to Trump himself. From his site (archived link):

Quote:
"Donald Trump has already brought about a cultural change by ushering in a new era of politicians whose passionate desire to have sex with their own daughters is so intense that they cannot resist expressing it to the whole world."
Quote:
"(If you oppose fascism, then I would say, don't worry about Donald Trump becoming strong enough to crush all his enemies under his boot. Worry about Trump not being strong enough to control his own supporters. Worry about the men whom Trump disavows as being too dangerous for him to associate with. Be smart like the Jews; they know that Trump protects them by serving as a calming influence on the more radical fascist elements, keeping them satisfied with various token gestures in support of their agenda. Support Trump, love Trump, because he is the one who keeps you safe at night. But also put up resistance against Trump, because in so doing, you create the appearance of Trump's gaining victories against a vigorous opposition, and thereby keep most of the fascists distracted from the behind-the-scenes collusion that is really going on. Unfortunately for you, not all fascists will fall for that.)
Quote:
"In gathering signatures, you're also asking women to do what you want, and they're saying yes, because society has said what you're asking them to do is totally normal and beneficial. Well, isn't that just how they're going to be after the revolution? Society will say to young women, 'You should marry this incel' and they'll do it because women tend to happily go with the flow when given instructions by the patriarchs in their family, their church, their society? As a candidate for public office, you're sort of a quasi-patriarch, so they automatically feel drawn to obey what you tell them to do. (As Donald Trump said, 'when you're a star, they let you do it.')
Quote:
"Do I favor Trump over his opponents? I voted for Gary Johnson, but I would've voted for Trump over Hillary if those had been the only two choices. Still, I wouldn't have weeped if Hillary had won, because I know she's not really all that different than Trump, other than in her rhetoric. At any rate, accelerationism is a plausible idea.
So he disagrees with Trump, but certainly draws inspiration from him.

Quote:
Only connection to the Democrats is that this is the kind of guy they think should have his voting rights restored.
That's as fair as saying the NRA thinks Omar Mateen is the kind of guy they think should have the right to bear arms.
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:50 AM   #8
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,174
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?

I'll tell you why. Because McAwful couldn't be bothered reviewing every case to see who deserved their rights restored or not, for the simple reason that they assumed most ex-felons would vote for the Democrats. Let them all vote.
Yeah, this guy having the right to vote is clearly the upsetting part here. Not that there is a rather large portion of Trump voters who might well be interested in a platform like this.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:57 AM   #9
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)
 
Tsukasa Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,281
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?

I'll tell you why. Because McAwful couldn't be bothered reviewing every case to see who deserved their rights restored or not, for the simple reason that they assumed most ex-felons would vote for the Democrats. Let them all vote.
Right, it certainly isn't because, as it is most other democracies, people believe that disenfranchisement of felons is wrong. And Democrats support social welfare spending because they want to bribe voters too, I'm sure .
__________________
As cultural anthropologists have always said "human culture" = "human nature". You might as well put a fish on the moon to test how it "swims naturally" without the "influence of water". -Earthborn
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 06:27 AM   #10
zorro99
Muse
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 938
He sure sounds like a Trumpian
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 06:34 AM   #11
Arcade22
Philosopher
 
Arcade22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6,769
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
They voted for him they might vote for me doesn't sound like he's endorsing Trump, by any means. It sounds like a Hail Mary pass.
Hey, if you are stupid and crazy enough to even consider voting for Donald Trump, let alone doing so, then WHY NOT?!
__________________
We would be a lot safer if the Government would take its money out of science and put it into astrology and the reading of palms. Only in superstition is there hope. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 1st June 2018 at 07:04 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:03 AM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,017
Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Hey, if you are stupid crazy and enough to even consider voting for Donald Trump, let alone doing so, then WHY NOT?!
I'm just gonna leave this here:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:08 AM   #13
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?

I'll tell you why. Because McAwful couldn't be bothered reviewing every case to see who deserved their rights restored or not, for the simple reason that they assumed most ex-felons would vote for the Democrats. Let them all vote.
Sorry, you think the major issue[1] here is that an ex-felon has a right to vote?

The overwhelming majority of ex-felons are not as whackadoodle as this guy and this guy would be a whackadoodle whether he had been convicted previously or not.

[1] Honestly, I don't see a "major" issue here in any case. Local nutjob runs for office, loses obviously. Roy Moore had a shot at it, but this guy don't.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:13 AM   #14
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 39,664
Yeah, he gets like what, maybe 30 votes? Not losing sleep over this.
__________________
If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:22 AM   #15
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,595
It's not about how many votes he gets. It's about the fact that he feels empowered to run.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump

Last edited by Toontown; 1st June 2018 at 07:24 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,017
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
It's not about how many votes he gets. It's about the fact that he feels empowered to run.
He also feels that having sex with children is a good idea. How exactly do you think you can read anything meaningful out of his feelings?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 07:58 AM   #17
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yeah, this guy having the right to vote is clearly the upsetting part here. Not that there is a rather large portion of Trump voters who might well be interested in a platform like this.
Er, have we really established that a rather large portion of Trump voters support this platform?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:08 AM   #18
ahhell
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 3,370
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well, you know what - that's fair. But:



There's a very specific and well-defined political philosophy that's on display in these statements; and as a practical matter of fact it is a philosophy whose adherents in the present day support Donald Trump. There is nothing at all that ambiguous about it.
I'm not sure I'd consider "Quasi-neoreactionary libertarian" well defined. Add quasi to anything pretty much makes it ambiguous.

Last edited by ahhell; 1st June 2018 at 08:09 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:09 AM   #19
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
It's not about how many votes he gets. It's about the fact that he feels empowered to run.
That doesn't really bother me. I don't think that this incident normalizes his nonsense. (Really, "nonsense" is too gentle a word for his avowed position, which is, evidently, missionary with a prepubescent.)
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 08:25 AM   #20
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Quote:
He is also a pedophile, as he admitted to HuffPost on Thursday, who has bragged in website posts about raping his late ex-wife.
HuffPo no longer uses editors? That is a terribly constructed sentence.

Sorry, just pedantic bitching, but still.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 09:41 AM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 30,662
Meh. Not a serious candidate, much like the Illinois Nazi Republican. There's lots wrong with that party, this isn't one of those things.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:25 AM   #22
Mooseman
Thinker
 
Mooseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 219
I agree he did his time, rights should be restored. No surprise that the are strange people no side owns the lot. Now how many votes will he get? ! or 2 percent?
Mooseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:49 AM   #23
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,983
Headline:

Quote:
Congressional Candidate In Virginia Admits He’s A Pedophile
OMG see! All the Republicans are sick bastards!


Sentence in actual story:

Quote:
Nathan Larson, a 37-year-old accountant from Charlottesville, Virginia, is running for Congress as an independent candidate in his native state.
Oh so it's just some idiot and he's not running as a Repunlican. But hey that headline will get people talking! Who reads the articles if they agree with how I feel?

This headline proves that conservatives are rapists - I mean it's a platform conservatives can get behind, or so I've read in this thread. Critical thinking has left the building.

Some quality journalism going on these days. Hey, I hear racism may still be going on. But that's okay because Starbucks made their employees watch videos of blacks being beaten by cops as part of the racial awareness training.

This is going so well.
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 10:58 AM   #24
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Headline:



This headline proves that conservatives are rapists - I mean it's a platform conservatives can get behind, or so I've read in this thread. Critical thinking has left the building.[/hilite]
The headline of the article does not support your screed - it makes no mention of party affiliation, or political slant. Way to prove the highlighted point.
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:19 AM   #25
logger
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 11,145
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
The headline of the article does not support your screed - it makes no mention of party affiliation, or political slant. Way to prove the highlighted point.
He’s clearly and obviously talking about this threads opinion coming from the left.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:27 AM   #26
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 22,048
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yeah, he gets like what, maybe 30 votes? Not losing sleep over this.
Thirty seems a bit high. I bet he's looking for something in the lower teens. But even lower could be fine, apparently.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:31 AM   #27
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 13,076
A great candidate...for the nature walk.
__________________
Music is what feelings sound like

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:44 AM   #28
Border Reiver
Philosopher
 
Border Reiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,685
Originally Posted by logger View Post
He’s clearly and obviously talking about this threads opinion coming from the left.
Given that one of the first posts clearly stated that the candidate in question was an independent, the article stated so clearly, and the title of both made no connection to the political leanings of the candidate - why would anyone take the criticism of the candidate as anything but a criticism of the candidate?

The only criticism from the "left" here seems to be that the candidate is truly a reprehensible human being that is trying to emulate some of the "political outsider" schtick that got some other people elected and that we are hoping that people don't fall for it.

This an opportunity for the political divide to reach across the aisle and criticize someone that no one in their right mind would want as a political representative.
__________________
Questions, comments, queries, bitches, complaints, rude gestures and/or remarks?
Border Reiver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 11:57 AM   #29
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 26,350
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And Terry McAuliffe restored his right to vote and to seek office, there is nothing ambiguous about that either. And why? I mean, who in their right mind would say this is a man who deserves a say in our political system?
Being able to vote, or even being able to run for office, isn't the issue here. As Toontown said, it's the fact that he feels confident running and expressing his political views openly. While the pro-child-molestation stuff is less common, as a right-wing neo-nazi/white-supremacist/misogynist, this fellow is really just another part of the alt-right "bubble", wherein people with this ideology who used to have to keep these kinds of opinions closer to the vest, have now crawled out from under their various rocks and are attempting to become a cultural force, unburdened by the across-the-board condemnation and ridicule that open Nazis dealt even a decade or two ago. And whether or not they agree totally with Donald Trump, or whether they like to call themselves Republican or Democrat or libertarian or independent, like Nathan Larson they all recognize the crucial role Trump has played in empowering that emergence.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002

Last edited by Checkmite; 1st June 2018 at 11:58 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:04 PM   #30
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Headline:



OMG see! All the Republicans are sick bastards!


Sentence in actual story:



Oh so it's just some idiot and he's not running as a Repunlican. But hey that headline will get people talking! Who reads the articles if they agree with how I feel?

This headline proves that conservatives are rapists - I mean it's a platform conservatives can get behind, or so I've read in this thread. Critical thinking has left the building.

Some quality journalism going on these days. Hey, I hear racism may still be going on. But that's okay because Starbucks made their employees watch videos of blacks being beaten by cops as part of the racial awareness training.

This is going so well.
The headline doesn't suggest that the candidate is a Republican. What are you going on about?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:06 PM   #31
zorro99
Muse
 
zorro99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 938
Roy Moore was also a pedophile. Trump endorsed him.
__________________
There is nothing as deceptive as an obvious fact.
zorro99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:09 PM   #32
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 48,017
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Being able to vote, or even being able to run for office, isn't the issue here. As Toontown said, it's the fact that he feels confident running and expressing his political views openly.
How do you know we hasn't always expressed his views openly? You aren't hearing about him just because he's speaking out, you're also hearing about him because he's being reported. But reporters don't scientifically sample events. They cherry pick.

So how do you know this reflects an actual change, that it isn't just another Summer of the Shark?
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 12:10 PM   #33
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Roy Moore was also a pedophile. Trump endorsed him.
Roy Moore denied the allegations and was focused on high school girls. This guy not only admits wanting to have sex with young girls, he includes his daughter on his wish list.

Endorsing Moore and endorsing this guy are not moral equivalents. Endorsing Moore was bad but endorsing this guy would be much, much worse.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:07 PM   #34
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Let me just point out that the reference to his "pro-Trump platform" in the original article consists of this one quote at the end of the piece:



They voted for him they might vote for me doesn't sound like he's endorsing Trump, by any means. It sounds like a Hail Mary pass.

BTW, guess who we have to thank for the fact that this clown can vote, let alone run for office? Terry McAwful:



And the president he threatened to kill was George W. Bush.

So I'm going to go with total kook with zero connection to Trump or the Republicans. Only connection to the Democrats is that this is the kind of guy they think should have his voting rights restored.
He sure sounds trumpf like to me!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:12 PM   #35
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He also feels that having sex with children is a good idea. How exactly do you think you can read anything meaningful out of his feelings?
Given the first sentence, I must assume he has a death wish.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 01:14 PM   #36
fuelair
Banned
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 58,581
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, have we really established that a rather large portion of Trump voters support this platform?
Well, given that trumpf voters knew by his own statements he went into the dressing rooms of underage girls I am forced to accept that they do support that.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 02:48 PM   #37
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,424
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Roy Moore denied the allegations and was focused on high school girls. This guy not only admits wanting to have sex with young girls, he includes his daughter on his wish list.

Endorsing Moore and endorsing this guy are not moral equivalents. Endorsing Moore was bad but endorsing this guy would be much, much worse.
And what does it all mean when it's a rapist doing the endorsing?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 03:11 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 8,472
This guy sounds like a deeply disturbed individual. DEEPLY disturbed, on many levels. Not even tangentially impinging on reality. So I'm going to take his stated intentions of running for office with the same level of concern as if he said he was the Queen of England. That is, zero. He's a disturbed nutjob; his political career is entirely imaginary.

He is far more likely to commit a crime very shortly that will put him back behind bars for an extended period of assessment and treatment, or possibly even taking an early morning walk to a state-sanctioned dirt-nap.

His likelihood of standing for office is zero. Even if, by some extraordinary circumstances, he did stand, he would get only one vote - his own. And possibly not even that because he doesn't sound the least bit mentally competent.

So the idea that he is a Donny or DNC disciple is entirely moot. That Donny would endorse him is another matter. That possibly could happen, but only if there was something in it personally for Donny.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 03:50 PM   #39
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,714
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
And what does it all mean when it's a rapist doing the endorsing?
I've not seen conclusive evidence that Trump is a rapist. He claims to have engaged in sexual assault and some have alleged such. His ex also alleged rape, but none of this has been proved.

Don't get me wrong. He's a bastard, but I won't call him a rapist without conclusive evidence.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2018, 04:07 PM   #40
Fudbucker
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 8,537
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Er, have we really established that a rather large portion of Trump voters support this platform?
Roy Moore got a lot of votes, and the pedophilia charges against him were very credible. So I'd say there's a significant portion of conservatives that don't see pedophilia as being a disqualifier.

ETA: He was also endorsed by Trump and I believe the RNC (after some initial misgivings).

Last edited by Fudbucker; 1st June 2018 at 04:09 PM.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:21 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.