IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 12:12 PM   #3201
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Someone assure me that the PA case that is going to SCOTUS has no chance of SCOTUS ruling in its favor in any way, considering not only the merits (or lack thereof) of the case, but the nature of SCOTUS as well.

Are we sure that Roberts and Gorsuch are very, very, very likely to rule properly on that case?
I don't get it. Biden won, all the court cases except 2 minor ones have been kicked out of court. The states Trump was trying to change the outcome of have all certified their electors going to Biden except PA which will certify their electors for Biden Tues, I believe.

And your's is the third post here worrying Trump can still win.

No, he can't. It's over. Trump lost and now he's just making a fool of himself. Except for his adoring fans who continue to cheer him on and give him money.

The only case that might go to the SCOTUS is PA and there is no religious issue for the now Christian majority SCOTUS to hang their hats on.

If people want to worry, worry about the crazy alt-right white supremacists Trump is riling up. Worry about the damage Trump still has 7.5 weeks left to carry out. He has a serious pathology. We've seen how that works for the last 4 years. And that pathology is going to be escalating.

His fantasy that he won and was cheated might be enough to keep him calm for a while. But he's facing charges that he can't pardon himself out of. You'll know he knows he's leaving when he pardons all his family members, tries to pardon himself, and maybe he'll pardon Manafort, not sure why he hasn't done that yet.

Maybe he's waiting until he's on the way out the door because it would have affected his election chances if that were still on the table (it isn't) I will bet when there are no reasons to hold back he'll pardon Epstein's partner. He'll make sure to rub these pardons in the face of Cohen.

It's all about revenge and bilking fans out of money now.

McConnell is going to feign support for Trump until those last 2 Senate seats are decided. McConnell is all about his own power trip.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 28th November 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:27 PM   #3202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
https://twitter.com/JennaEllisEsq/st...003581954?s=19

There's an eventbrite link to the "public hearing" being held at a Hyatt Regency by "select members" of the AZ legislature.

Other members have noted the way they've set this up (only one party's members, held outside of the capitol without any notice) make their use of the term "public hearing" very suspect. It's a stunt for cameras.
You might want to warn people that Twitter feed is chock full of alt-right comments and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they aren't allowing any intrusion of reality.

It's nuts!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:34 PM   #3203
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You might want to warn people that Twitter feed is chock full of alt-right comments and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say they aren't allowing any intrusion of reality.

It's nuts!
So is today's GOP.

Senior Republicans are still backing President Trump ....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:41 PM   #3204
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

I think some of it is about the Trump's ego, but the money thing is a real factor too. FWIW, I'm somehow on this Republican/Trump mailing list. I get a few requests for donations every day. For example, a few hours ago I received,

Quote:
TRUMP PENCE MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

BREAKING

If EVERY Patriot chips in $45, President Trump and Vice President Pence will have what it takes to DEFEND the Election and WIN!

Can we count on you, Friend? Your 1000%-IMPACT is LIVE for 1 HOUR!
<sigh>
Old 28th November 2020, 12:42 PM   #3205
Paul2
Philosopher

I don't get it. Biden won, all the court cases except 2 minor ones have been kicked out of court. The states Trump was trying to change the outcome of have all certified their electors going to Biden except PA which will certify their electors for Biden Tues, I believe.

No, he can't. It's over. Trump lost and now he's just making a fool of himself. Except for his adoring fans who continue to cheer him on and give him money.

The only case that might go to the SCOTUS is PA and there is no religious issue for the now Christian majority SCOTUS to hang their hats on.

If people want to worry, worry about the crazy alt-right white supremacists Trump is riling up. Worry about the damage Trump still has 7.5 weeks left to carry out. He has a serious pathology. We've seen how that works for the last 4 years. And that pathology is going to be escalating.

His fantasy that he won and was cheated might be enough to keep him calm for a while. But he's facing charges that he can't pardon himself out of. You'll know he knows he's leaving when he pardons all his family members, tries to pardon himself, and maybe he'll pardon Manafort, not sure why he hasn't done that yet.

Maybe he's waiting until he's on the way out the door because it would have affected his election chances if that were still on the table (it isn't) I will bet when there are no reasons to hold back he'll pardon Epstein's partner. He'll make sure to rub these pardons in the face of Cohen.

McConnell is going to feign support for Trump until those last 2 Senate seats are decided. McConnell is all about his own power trip.
There's a difference between "no court can rule otherwise (or hear the case, etc.)" and "no court would rule otherwise (etc.)." The former is a legal certainty, while the latter is a probability, no matter how high or low.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 12:53 PM   #3206
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Pennsylvania certified the election already. States have their own deadlines, but the Federal deadline for resolving any and all Presidential election disputes is December 8th.

California's deadline for certification is actually December 11th? I don't know how they deal with the electors issue other than maybe certifying the Presidential election sooner than other races.

Last edited by acbytesla; 28th November 2020 at 01:00 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 01:37 PM   #3207
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

TRUMP TWEETS

Specific allegations were made, and we have massive proof, in the Pennsylvania case. Some people just don’t want to see it. They want nothing to do with saving our Country. Sad!!!

The Wisconsin recount is not about finding mistakes in the count, it is about finding people who have voted illegally, and that case will be brought after the recount is over, on Monday or Tuesday. We have found many illegal votes. Stay tuned!

The number of ballots that our Campaign is challenging in the Pennsylvania case is FAR LARGER than the 81,000 vote margin. It’s not even close. Fraud and illegality ARE a big part of the case. Documents being completed. We will appeal!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th November 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #3208
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

deleted

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 28th November 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #3209
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Quote:
Your 1000%-IMPACT is LIVE for 1 HOUR!
What the **** does that mean?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 01:49 PM   #3210
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
"A court ruled against the Second Amendment! It's time, folks, get your rifles!"

It would be beyond hilarious if one of their typo-riddled filings actually lead to them accidentally overturning their favorite amendment!
Old 28th November 2020, 01:52 PM   #3211
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
TRUMP TWEETS

Specific allegations were made, and we have massive proof, in the Pennsylvania case. Some people just don’t want to see it. They want nothing to do with saving our Country. Sad!!!

The Wisconsin recount is not about finding mistakes in the count, it is about finding people who have voted illegally, and that case will be brought after the recount is over, on Monday or Tuesday. We have found many illegal votes. Stay tuned!
He's right about one thing. The Wisconsin recount is not about finding mistakes in the count. It's about finding any technicality it can manufacture to invalidate and disenfranchise voters. This is what the GOP refers to as illegal votes.

I was mistaken yesterday. I was under the impression that the recount had been completed yesterday. Milwaukee county had finished. Dane County was about 80% done where the progress has been slower. Trump observers are objecting to almost everything. In several wards every single ballot one by one were objected to by Trump observers.

Still, it should be completed by Monday.
Old 28th November 2020, 01:53 PM   #3212
dasmiller

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
What the **** does that mean?
It's a 10:1 match, where every dollar you contribute is matched by 10 more dollars, though it's never been explained where those other 10 dollars come from. Seriously, are there some very rich donors out there saying, "I'll donate $1,000,000, Don, but only if your regular donors contribute $100,000 first?"

I've heard it claimed that the 10:1 refers to some automatic recurring payment thing, in which case you're doing your own 10:1 match (doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me), but the match ratio has varied over time, which doesn't fit the recurring payment thing.

The match was 500% back in June and has been gradually creeping up since then.
Old 28th November 2020, 01:58 PM   #3213
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
It's a 10:1 match, where every dollar you contribute is matched by 10 more dollars, though it's never been explained where those other 10 dollars come from. Seriously, are there some very rich donors out there saying, "I'll donate $1,000,000, Don, but only if your regular donors contribute $100,000 first?"

I've heard it claimed that the 10:1 refers to some automatic recurring payment thing, in which case you're doing your own 10:1 match (doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me), but the match ratio has varied over time, which doesn't fit the recurring payment thing.

The match was 500% back in June and has been gradually creeping up since then.
Thank you for explaining. I can't believe anyone would fall for this nonsense, but OK.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 02:01 PM   #3214
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
So is today's GOP.

Senior Republicans are still backing President Trump ....
Like I said, McConnell will back Trump as long as he thinks Trump can help keep those last 2 Senate seats in GOP hands.

After that, it will be interesting to see which Republicans change their POVs.

But just like the TEA Party took over the GOP first, the Trump Party is still the look of the party. Trump has so much of a donation draw, the next couple years will be interesting.
Old 28th November 2020, 02:02 PM   #3215
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I think some of it is about the Trump's ego, but the money thing is a real factor too. FWIW, I'm somehow on this Republican/Trump mailing list. I get a few requests for donations every day. For example, a few hours ago I received,

<sigh>
Revenge is Trump's ego.
Old 28th November 2020, 02:04 PM   #3216
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's a difference between "no court can rule otherwise (or hear the case, etc.)" and "no court would rule otherwise (etc.)." The former is a legal certainty, while the latter is a probability, no matter how high or low.
And?

I do believe it was mentioned that all those swing state election laws were not so loose as to allow the legislature to override the vote at their pleasure. The circumstances the legislatures have are limited.
Old 28th November 2020, 02:06 PM   #3217
dasmiller

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Thank you for explaining. I can't believe anyone would fall for this nonsense, but OK.
On the list of nonsensical things that some of them fall for, this wouldn't even make the top 20.
Old 28th November 2020, 02:12 PM   #3218
Paul2
Philosopher

And?

I do believe it was mentioned that all those swing state election laws were not so loose as to allow the legislature to override the vote at their pleasure. The circumstances the legislatures have are limited.
When you say, "he can't, it's over," that is only true for the latter of my cases, in which no court should rule in his favor, but a court could rule in his favor, merely by ignoring everything they should.

Scalia reportedly, not on the record, said that the ruling in Bush v Gore was a horrible one. However improbable, it is still a possibility that another horrible ruling could occur. It's greater than 0%.

So we have two kinds of "he can't, it's over:" the 0% kind, and the > 0% kind. I thought you meant the 0% kind, but it's not that kind of over, it's only over the > 0% kind.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 02:17 PM   #3219
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Someone assure me that the PA case that is going to SCOTUS has no chance of SCOTUS ruling in its favor in any way, considering not only the merits (or lack thereof) of the case, but the nature of SCOTUS as well.
My understanding is that given how Rudy appealed the district court ruling, a ruling in his favor by the Scotus would just kick the case back down to the district court. Rudy's appeal was primarily about the fact that he wasn't allowed to amend his complaint. The circuit court basically told him "yeah, and the judge was right not to let you. Your case has no chance, regardless of how you amend it."
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 02:24 PM   #3220
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

It would still be 0 anyway. Even if Pennsylvania's points somehow transferred to Trump, Biden would still win.

Last edited by Delvo; 28th November 2020 at 02:26 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 02:39 PM   #3221
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Scalia reportedly, not on the record, said that the ruling in Bush v Gore was a horrible one.
To add to that a bit - How many of the current justices were involved with Bush's legal team in Bush v Gore? 3. That should honestly be rather astounding and considered deeply problematic. Even if a horrible decision doesn't change the election results to a Trump win, horrible decisions can still cause horrible problems down the road a little - which, really, is the problem with the Republicans stacking the court with rather obviously partisan judges who pretend to be conservative, regardless.

Last edited by Aridas; 28th November 2020 at 02:41 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 02:57 PM   #3222
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
My understanding is that given how Rudy appealed the district court ruling, a ruling in his favor by the Scotus would just kick the case back down to the district court. Rudy's appeal was primarily about the fact that he wasn't allowed to amend his complaint. The circuit court basically told him "yeah, and the judge was right not to let you. Your case has no chance, regardless of how you amend it."
Agreed. Rudy seems to think there is a back door method of getting SCOTUS to hear the arguments of fraud despite himself saying he wasn't alleging fraud.

If/when Rudy appeals to SCOTUS, he seems to believe that they will ignore the amendment issue and the total absence of evidence presented at court so far.

That somehow SCOTUS will summarily invalidate a state/Presidential election and flip the results of an election that Trump lost by 6 million votes.

I may not like this court much but I don't believe they will take a hatchet to democracy and launch a civil war for Diarrhea Diaper Don.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:17 PM   #3223
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Agreed. Rudy seems to think there is a back door method of getting SCOTUS to hear the arguments of fraud despite himself saying he wasn't alleging fraud.

If/when Rudy appeals to SCOTUS, he seems to believe that they will ignore the amendment issue and the total absence of evidence presented at court so far.

That somehow SCOTUS will summarily invalidate a state/Presidential election and flip the results of an election that Trump lost by 6 million votes.

I may not like this court much but I don't believe they will take a hatchet to democracy and launch a civil war for Diarrhea Diaper Don.
I agree with you in principle, but am still not cracking the bubbly until Biden has been sworn in and moved into the WH.

And the civil war is likely in either case.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:23 PM   #3224
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The Third Circuit did slam team trump pretty good.
Quote:
“Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here...Voters, not lawyers, choose the president. Ballots, not briefs, decide elections.” New York Times article
Those words were written by Justice Stephanos Bibas. He was appointed to the Third Circuit by trump. There are still decent people out there.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 04:48 PM   #3225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I agree with you in principle, but am still not cracking the bubbly until Biden has been sworn in and moved into the WH.
Given how insane Trump's presidency has been, I don't blame you

And the civil war is likely in either case.
No, I don't think so.
Old 28th November 2020, 04:51 PM   #3226
dirtywick
Master Poster

Americans don’t have the fight in them to wear a mask for a few hours. Certainly not going to sack up for a war.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 04:52 PM   #3227
dirtywick
Master Poster

Americans don’t have the guts to wear a mask for a few hours in public. We don’t have the guts for a civil war.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 04:59 PM   #3228
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Americans don’t have the guts to wear a mask for a few hours in public. We don’t have the guts for a civil war.
Eh, they don't have the patience to do something they don't feel like doing. Shooting other Americans is something they've been itching to do. That's all the 2A fetishism we've had going around.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:01 PM   #3229
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Some Americans have the stupid in them to at least cause a lot of violence.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:09 PM   #3230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Million Maga March tweeted
@MilionMagaMarch
JAPAN TRUMP RALLY AGAINST ELECTION FRAUD
JAPANESE ARE RALLYING ACROSS JAPAN TO DEFEND PRESIDENT DOANLD J TRUMP FROM A CORRUPT & FRAUDULENT ELECTION

JAPANA SAYS #STOPTHESTEAL

THE WORLD IS WATCHING!!!
Old 28th November 2020, 05:12 PM   #3231
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No question about that. I'm still betting on the 101st.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:35 PM   #3232
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

More winning! The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed out the state lawsuit, the one that claimed that the law that expanded mail-in voting was unconstitutional. This is the case in which a PA judge had issued a stay to prevent PA officials from completing the vote certification process. Apparently the major problem that the PSC had was that the lawsuit needed to be filed before the election.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...-stop-election

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 28th November 2020 at 05:36 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:38 PM   #3233
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
More winning! The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed out the state lawsuit, the one that claimed that the law which expanded mail-in voting was unconstitutional. This is the case in which a PA judge had issued a stay to prevent PA officials from completing the vote certification process. Apparently the major problem that the PSC had was that the lawsuit needed to be filed before the election.

Yea, 180 days since the passage of ACT 77.

They only object after the election.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:40 PM   #3234
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets a 4 minute video of Diamond & Silk on Newsmax giving their verdict on voter fraud and the Constitution.

(Video in Link)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...47732218863616
Old 28th November 2020, 05:42 PM   #3235
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
More winning! The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed out the state lawsuit, the one that claimed that the law that expanded mail-in voting was unconstitutional. This is the case in which a PA judge had issued a stay to prevent PA officials from completing the vote certification process. Apparently the major problem that the PSC had was that the lawsuit needed to be filed before the election.

I was waiting for this one. The Trumplican disinfo sites have been crowing about that judge's memo, as if it meant something. I don't know why I get nervous about these things, because I don't think Trump can steal the election. But I do indeed get nervous. I'll be happy when it's all over.

ETA: Yeah, I know it's over, but I'll be happy when the EC is done, and happier still when Biden is inaugurated.

Last edited by eerok; 28th November 2020 at 05:44 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 05:53 PM   #3236
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I was waiting for this one. The Trumplican disinfo sites have been crowing about that judge's memo, as if it meant something. I don't know why I get nervous about these things, because I don't think Trump can steal the election. But I do indeed get nervous. I'll be happy when it's all over.

ETA: Yeah, I know it's over, but I'll be happy when the EC is done, and happier still when Biden is inaugurated.
I'd be a liar if I said I don't get nervous as well. Where it counts the courts have stopped Trump cold. The Pennsylvania State Supreme Court have now made two rulings slapping Trump around.
But I'll be happy after the next two weeks have passed.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:54 PM   #3237
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'll be happy after Jan 20 has passed and it hasn't made to to SCROTUS.
Old 28th November 2020, 05:55 PM   #3238
dirtywick
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets a 4 minute video of Diamond & Silk on Newsmax giving their verdict on voter fraud and the Constitution.

(Video in Link)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...47732218863616
Somebody needs to remind him that the press doesn’t decide the election
Old 28th November 2020, 05:58 PM   #3239
dirtywick
Master Poster

All those nuts like to throw their weight around when they’re the only ones with guns. They don’t have the stomach for war
Old 28th November 2020, 06:03 PM   #3240
eerok
Quixoticist

I'll be happy after Jan 20 has passed and it hasn't made to to SCROTUS.
That's certainly one of the things that will continue to make me nervous, though I think it's extremely unlikely that SCOTUS will stick their beaks in this mess.

What a disaster Trump has made of this election, though. It's disgusting and unforgivable what he's done.

Last edited by eerok; 28th November 2020 at 06:05 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics