IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 07:52 PM   #3321
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,068
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.

He will win no matter what it takes.

The simmering civil war will get hot
Fat militia types will cause some deaths, and it will be on on Trumpís hands, but they will fold like a cheap suit when the heat is on.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:55 PM   #3322
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
For all the Trump zealots there were many more Americans who hate and despise Trump.
That's true. This was very much a referendum on Trump, and that's what drove the huge number of voters.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Biden was the perfect candidate to run against Trump because he is everything Trump is not. He's kind, empathetic and cares about others. Trump only cares about himself.
And that's also true. One sound bite I always liked is when Biden is asked if he's the opposite of Trump. "I hope so," he replies.

Don't we all.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:56 PM   #3323
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,652
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
He doesn't have the BBs for it.

He'll never be classy or honorable about anything.
I meant this guy.

Orange Man Done will be at Mar A Lago, ******** his diaper.
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:57 PM   #3324
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,794
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.

He will win no matter what it takes.

The simmering civil war will get hot
Will you be enlisting as a Brownshirt or a death camp guard?
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 07:58 PM   #3325
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,652
Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Fat militia types will cause some deaths, and it will be on on Trumpís hands, but they will fold like a cheap suit when the heat is on.
They'll end up like that imbecile at Comet Pizza: all AR, no brain.
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:02 PM   #3326
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 28,901
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
But let's get this perfectly clear. Biden didn't win this election because the citizens loved Biden. No this was a referendum on Trump. No politician in history encouraged people to vote for and against him like Trump.


Yep. Love him or hate him, one thing we can all agree on is that Trump's presidency has been characterized by one unprecedented thing after another.

So why is it so surprising that he might lose the election in an unprecedented manner? That's nothing more than what should have been expected.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:05 PM   #3327
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.

He will win no matter what it takes.

The simmering civil war will get hot
Trump will probably not give up. Reality has never wrinkled his brow so far, and this is unlikely to change. Once a clown, always a clown.

He lost the election, though, and there are no judges stupid enough to throw away the law and declare Trump king. There was no election fraud. Trump is a liar.

Some Poor Boys will behave poorly, some idiots online will continue to bark nonsense, but there will be no civil war.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:06 PM   #3328
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I meant this guy.
I hope that guy shows up, for sure.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:08 PM   #3329
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,784
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.
Donald Trump says he will leave the White House if Joe Biden is confirmed by electoral college
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...house/12926866

Bye Bye Donald. Bye Bye Bubba!
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:09 PM   #3330
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The fact is Biden outperformed Hillary throughout most states nationwide.

But let's get this perfectly clear. Biden didn't win this election because the citizens loved Biden. No this was a referendum on Trump. No politician in history encouraged people to vote for and against him like Trump.

For all the Trump zealots there were many more Americans who hate and despise Trump.

Biden was the perfect candidate to run against Trump because he is everything Trump is not. He's kind, empathetic and cares about others. Trump only cares about himself.



Not that you are, of course, abctesla, but that post is a great example of the power of MSM, and especially Social Media.

The 2020 documentary "The Social Dilemma" (Netflix) has former insiders from FaceBook, Twitter, etc revealing in precise detail how the social giants influenced this election, manipulating perceptions and views of users. The speakers are disillusioned with the industry, and seemed afraid to answer some questions about who and why regarding the problem.

In a (leaked video) 2017 google meeting, the boss guy said: We failed in the 2016 election cycle. We will not fail in 2020's election cycle

For partly understanding this election, we recommend watching "The Social Dilemma"

Here are some Trailers and commentaries on youtube:

Take your pick:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ial+Dilemma%22
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:10 PM   #3331
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 85,811
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I agree with you in principle, but am still not cracking the bubbly until Biden has been sworn in and moved into the WH.

And the civil war is likely in either case.


Trump lost. Biden won. It's all over except putting away the folding chairs.

As for a civil war? I don't think a group of rag-tag men in camo open-carrying guns is somehow going to be magically transformed into a cohesive army. Who are they going to attack? A single governor? Someone to hold hostage as if that would get them anywhere.

Some of them may very well do stupid dangerous things. Maybe they'll go to Bundy's ranch or the Malheur Wildlife Refuge and hold out until someone listens to their grievances.

Trump losing by a normal election is not in any way the same as the SCOTUS overturning an election where Trump lost by millions of votes. Millions of people would be in the streets that day.

There hasn't been any evidence millions are going to march for Trump. Thousands maybe, in a couple cities maybe. Obviously millions of people voted for Trump. That's scary on its face. We should be ready for acts of terrorism.

But Trump lost, it's over and no revolution is coming.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:12 PM   #3332
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,784
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Take your pick
The people did. They picked Biden & Harris.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:17 PM   #3333
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
In a (leaked video) 2017 google meeting, the boss guy said: We failed in the 2016 election cycle. We will not fail in 2020's election cycle
Obviously the failure was in not preventing Russian interference. If Hillary hadn't been trashed by a flood of baseless smears and propaganda from Russian bots and Wikileaks, she would've been president.

The fact that the joke candidate won would tell any sensible person that something went terribly wrong.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:18 PM   #3334
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 85,811
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Some Americans have the stupid in them to at least cause a lot of violence.
Yes some do. This is from your link:
Quote:
According to David Neiwert, the Proud Boys recruit with emphasis on right-wing 15–30 year old white males who come primarily from suburbs and exurbs.[62] The Proud Boys say they have an initiation process that has four stages and includes hazing. The first stage is a loyalty oath, on the order of "I’m a proud Western chauvinist, I refuse to apologize for creating the modern world"; the second is getting punched until the person recites pop culture trivia, such as the names of five breakfast cereals; the third is getting a tattoo and agreeing to not masturbate; and the fourth is getting into a major fight "for the cause."[18][34][63][64][65][66]...

The total number of Proud Boys members is unknown. Reports estimate membership between several hundred up to 6,000.[68][69][70] In July 2018, the Proud Boys L.A. branch had 160 members and up to 300 pending applicants, according to the unidentified Proud Boys L.A. president.[71]


Not exactly an army and it's not one that might appeal to a lot of people.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:19 PM   #3335
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 24,758
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I was waiting for this one. The Trumplican disinfo sites have been crowing about that judge's memo, as if it meant something. I don't know why I get nervous about these things, because I don't think Trump can steal the election. But I do indeed get nervous. I'll be happy when it's all over.

ETA: Yeah, I know it's over, but I'll be happy when the EC is done, and happier still when Biden is inaugurated.
I think we all get nervous because the very fact that any of this is happening at all suggests that there are lots of people in the United States, including some in government, who don't get "democracy" as an idea, or as an end in itself. They would throw the whole thing away to get what they want. They want lower taxes, or a land free of Mexicans, or making it once again socially acceptable to insult queers, or whatever it was that they really liked that they thought Donald would do to make America great again.

So, when we see a whole lot of people saying that we should ignore the votes, and making up phony rationalizations about why we shouldn't accept the votes, we know that there is something deeply rotten in America today, and that sooner or later, what we know of as America might simply stop.

And if we are being really honest, we know that if the shoe were on the other foot, there are plenty of people on the left that would do the same thing.
__________________
Yes, yes. I know you're right, but would it hurt you to actually provide some information?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:20 PM   #3336
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 85,811
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
...

ETA: Yeah, I know it's over, but I'll be happy when the EC is done, and happier still when Biden is inaugurated.
+1
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:21 PM   #3337
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post


Trump lost. Biden won. It's all over except putting away the folding chairs.

As for a civil war? I don't think a group of rag-tag men in camo open-carrying guns is somehow going to be magically transformed into a cohesive army. Who are they going to attack? A single governor? Someone to hold hostage as if that would get them anywhere.

Some of them may very well do stupid dangerous things. Maybe they'll go to Bundy's ranch or the Malheur Wildlife Refuge and hold out until someone listens to their grievances.

Trump losing by a normal election is not in any way the same as the SCOTUS overturning an election where Trump lost by millions of votes. Millions of people would be in the streets that day.

There hasn't been any evidence millions are going to march for Trump. Thousands maybe, in a couple cities maybe. Obviously millions of people voted for Trump. That's scary on its face. We should be ready for acts of terrorism.

But Trump lost, it's over and no revolution is coming.


For months the black bloc brats have been keeping it simmering with arson, smashing, and looting in key cities, and the guy who said "I am 100% Antifa" murdered someone in Portland. The MSM supports it with under reporting and false narratives.

They will turn it up if Trump prevails.


On the other side are some veterans and others believing Trump's votes were stolen. They are less likely to riot if Biden prevails.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:22 PM   #3338
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Obviously the failure was in not preventing Russian interference. If Hillary hadn't been trashed by a flood of baseless smears and propaganda from Russian bots and Wikileaks, she would've been president.

And just like that....this election had no russian collusion, and they did not even notice.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:25 PM   #3339
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 24,758
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Monday morning Kamala will resign from Senate, explaining she meant to do it right after the MSM named her VP-elect, but it slipped her mind in all the excitement.
Huh? Why would she do that? I'm guessing at some point she will inform the President of the Senate, or possibly the Governor of California, that she intends to resign her Senate seat effective noon on January 20, 2021.


ETA: Unless she works out something with Newsom, and they arrange something. The point is she won't leave that seat vacant. If Newsom can make an immediate appointment, she'll work something out with him.

And she'll be back in the Senate the first time it convenes after January 20, but this time the senators will be calling her "Madam President."
__________________
Yes, yes. I know you're right, but would it hurt you to actually provide some information?

Last edited by Meadmaker; 28th November 2020 at 08:31 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:27 PM   #3340
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 85,811
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I hope Trump Baby makes it to the Biden inauguration.
... and gets stopped at the door because he won't put on a mask,
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:29 PM   #3341
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
that there are lots of people in the United States, including some in government, who don't get "democracy" as an idea, or as an end in itself. They would throw the whole thing away to get what they want.


Nonsense

They see the death of democracy, and worse, in a stolen election.


Quote:


And if we are being really honest, we know that if the shoe were on the other foot, there are plenty of people on the left that would do the same thing.

Like Dominion's Antifa Eric Coomer
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:32 PM   #3342
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
For months the black bloc brats have been keeping it simmering with arson, smashing, and looting in key cities, and the guy who said "I am 100% Antifa" murdered someone in Portland. The MSM supports it with under reporting and false narratives.

They will turn it up if Trump prevails.


On the other side are some veterans and others believing Trump's votes were stolen. They are less likely to riot if Biden prevails.
Trump "prevails"?

What kind of fantasyland do you live in? Trump lost. He lost by 6.3 million votes.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:33 PM   #3343
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Will you be enlisting as a Brownshirt or a death camp guard?


Can you name the Democrats already calling for "Truth and Reconciliation" tribunals, and detainment camps, for people guilty of supporting Trump??
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:33 PM   #3344
Bubba
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,188
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump "prevails"?

What kind of fantasyland do you live in? Trump lost. He lost by 6.3 million votes.

Time will tell
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:35 PM   #3345
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,652
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Time will tell
It told.

306 - 232

Ovah!

Orange Man Done!!
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:38 PM   #3346
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 18,652
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump "prevails"?

What kind of fantasyland do you live in? Trump lost. He lost by 6.3 million votes.
How much time you got?
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:40 PM   #3347
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,476
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
And just like that....this election had no russian collusion, and they did not even notice.
The haunting questions of the 2016 election caused the 2020 election to be the most secure and carefully executed election in American history.

You probably didn't know that Stone had set up a "stop the steal" campaign in 2016 because no one expected Trump to win. This is how fake the election fraud claims are now.

Betting on Trump's failure was always a good way to go in the long run.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:42 PM   #3348
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Nonsense

They see the death of democracy, and worse, in a stolen election.
Keep telling yourself that. Keep pushing a conspiracy theory that even Trump's allies have not advocated for in an actual courtroom. Go back a week where under examination by Judge Brann Trump's lead attorney Rudy Giuliani didn't allege fraud.

Clock is ticking boy. And every state is certifying the election for Biden. The key states keep aligning with Biden. Every single one of them.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:48 PM   #3349
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Time will tell
That's right. Time will tell. 27 states have certified their election results. Including Georgia, Michigan and Pennsylvania. Wisconsin and Arizona will certify by Tuesday and Arizona is a fait acompli. What are you waiting for? California?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:51 PM   #3350
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 24,758
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Nonsense

They see the death of democracy, and worse, in a stolen election.
That's the rationalization part.

Rationalization is an interesting phenomenon, and so, so, common in humans.

They will convince themselves that up is down if it means they get what they want.

Biden got more votes, including the special sort of votes in electoral college math. However, that's not what some people want, so they will say it didn't happen. They can't bring themselves to actually say something anti-democratic, so they invent a fantasy of votes being counted multiple times, or dead people voting, or software that changes votes....and yet somehow a manual recount that is performed without the benefit of software matches the software record.

The Trump legal team, and the various yappers on the radio, and expert witnesses and whoever else is being quoted on OANN and Newsmax are making claims that could be verified, and yet, they aren't. I watched that security expert who "testified" at Gettysburg. He made testable claims. He could have also provided the evidence needed to test those claims, but he didn't.

I know polls were pretty bad this year, but what would you expect? Start with 2016, and ask who, among people who voted for Hillary Clinton that time, would vote for Donald Trump this time? It seems to me that would be a pretty small group. However, among people who voted for Donald Trump last time, there are lots of people turned off by his unpresidential behavior, and lots more people who don't like the results of his coronavirus response. So, we would expect at least a small shift toward a Democratic opponent. That's what we got, so Biden won. Some people can't accept that, so they make up phony reasons why it didn't really happen.
__________________
Yes, yes. I know you're right, but would it hurt you to actually provide some information?

Last edited by Meadmaker; 28th November 2020 at 08:52 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 08:52 PM   #3351
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,625
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Joe Biden LOST every bellwether county but one...
With global warming, perhaps the bell weather isn't what it used to be.

There is no demographic reason that these "bellwether counties" are representative of the nation as a whole. They are almost all counties with small populations, mostly outside of urban areas where the politics tend towards conservatism. That they were wrong this time is an artefact of the current polarized political environment.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:27 PM   #3352
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,784
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Can you name the Democrats already calling for "Truth and Reconciliation" tribunals, and detainment camps, for people guilty of supporting Trump??
No as that would be like the Nazi party. Remember, it's you and your Trump team, that likes Nazis and wants a right wing coup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neo Nazis 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 6 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:28 PM   #3353
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो
 
Delvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 9,206
Bubba's denialism of the fact that Trump lost is pitiful, but one of the posts (s)he made about it somewhere back there contained some things that Democrats seem to have equally pitiful denialism over. And the latter is more self-destructive; it will do its bearers more harm if they don't snap out of it.

This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. Biden underperformed even the worst-case-scenario projections, getting 306 when he was supposed to get 320-360. Trump's share of various demographic groups that the Democrats think they own, such as black, Latino, homosexual, and I think women (not sure on that last one, not going looking for it) only increased since last time. Regardless of which way the two Senate runoffs go, the Democrats will have lost a bunch of seats in Congress. The Senate probably won't end up in the best-case scenario for Democrats, looking like a tie with a Democrat tiebreaker, but even if it does, that won't do any good legislatively because they seldom have 100% agreement within their own party; some like Manchin have already declared their intention to vote with Republicans on certain issues. Yes, Trump's spectacular self-immolation is the most highly visible part of the big picture, and there were a few Republican losses in Congress, but those are little blue dents in the red wave.

Trump loss deniers seem to claim that this somehow means Trump couldn't have really lost, as if it weren't possible for multiple simultaneous elections to fail to all favor the same party. Of course it doesn't really mean that; it just means that Trump was so terrible that he managed to motivate a record level of votes against himself, even from people who had no interest at all in voting for Biden and voted more for other Republicans but not Trump. But one election out of lots & lots of simultaneous elections does not define the overall pattern and the overall pattern here is perfectly clear. Aside from the big distracting outlier, the people have made an unmistakable statement that they do not see the Democrats as offering what they want; the overall result is a thorough repudiation of Trump individually, and of democrats generally. And most Democrats are continuing to pay no attention to that fact.
Delvo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 09:31 PM   #3354
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,784
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Time will tell
So Trump finished the wall in time? Has Mexico paid yet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trump Borderwall.jpg (558.9 KB, 5 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:05 PM   #3355
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 7,326
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Proving how sharp his political instincts are, the former VP managed to gather a record number of votes while consistently trailing President Trump in measures of voter enthusiasm. Biden was so savvy that he motivated voters unenthusiastic about his campaign to vote for him in record numbers.
Hmm? I'm going to echo acbytesla here a bit. Trump managed to make the election very much about Trump, because that's the way Trump works.

Trump is horrendous. He was propped up by extremely biased right-wing propaganda and lies and the very divisive partisanship that the right wing has been ever more successful with since right wing extremist activists worked to steal control of various organizations like the NRA and use them to spread divisive disinformation for political ends.

Most of the country is very well aware of this, with some of the country intensely disturbed by how remarkably well the Trump era has mirrored Germany in the period just before the Nazis seized power and trying to prevent that from happening again. It looks like we've succeeded, at least to stave that off, either way.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.

He will win no matter what it takes.

The simmering civil war will get hot
"Hot" as in extremist right-wing terrorism will continue to rise? Sure, maybe, because of the manufactured outrage over nonsense that the right so loves. An actual civil war? I suppose if the right keeps working to make it so that American citizens DON'T get a fair chance and then keep effectively redirecting that dissatisfaction towards those who are actually trying to make it so that they will get a fair chance, it might get there, but it would be incredibly messy and likely very quickly doomed.

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think we all get nervous because the very fact that any of this is happening at all suggests that there are lots of people in the United States, including some in government, who don't get "democracy" as an idea, or as an end in itself. They would throw the whole thing away to get what they want. They want lower taxes, or a land free of Mexicans, or making it once again socially acceptable to insult queers, or whatever it was that they really liked that they thought Donald would do to make America great again.

So, when we see a whole lot of people saying that we should ignore the votes, and making up phony rationalizations about why we shouldn't accept the votes, we know that there is something deeply rotten in America today, and that sooner or later, what we know of as America might simply stop.

And if we are being really honest, we know that if the shoe were on the other foot, there are plenty of people on the left that would do the same thing.
I'd call this largely a fair statement. There are, in fact, very significant differences that are the case when it comes to people on the left compared to the right, but there would likely be some similar behavior as the result, albeit expressed differently. Also... it may be worth it to point out that "we know that there is something deeply rotten in America today, and that sooner or later, what we know of as America might simply stop" as being something that's the case anyways, regardless of this election.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
For months the black bloc brats have been keeping it simmering with arson, smashing, and looting in key cities,
Not just them, of course. To be perfectly clear, though, said "black bloc brats" are largely not appreciated by most of the protestors, and pretty clearly not by BLM. Moving past that, though, there's distinct hypocrisy in the way (especially, but not only) right wing propaganda treats those morons compared to the various other intentional causers of damage and bad behavior.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
and the guy who said "I am 100% Antifa" murdered someone in Portland.
By his own telling, it was a killing that happened in self-defense, which is entirely feasible given that the person he killed had already gone well out of their way to cause harm to others - and then that guy was hunted down and murdered, himself, after having made it perfectly clear that he was willing submit to the Justice system and be put on trial for his actions. Invoking that case does NOT help your argument, even before you get to the various police officers and citizens that right wing terrorists are already killing anyways.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
And just like that....this election had no russian collusion, and they did not even notice.


Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Can you name the Democrats already calling for "Truth and Reconciliation" tribunals, and detainment camps, for people guilty of supporting Trump??
How many of those Democrats are in positions of power, incidentally, and have been quoted accurately and in context?

How many of those Democrats are actually real people, for that matter?
__________________
So sayeth the crazy little dragon.

Last edited by Aridas; 28th November 2020 at 11:19 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:06 PM   #3356
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,794
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Bubba's denialism of the fact that Trump lost is pitiful, but one of the posts (s)he made about it somewhere back there contained some things that Democrats seem to have equally pitiful denialism over. And the latter is more self-destructive; it will do its bearers more harm if they don't snap out of it.

This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. Biden underperformed even the worst-case-scenario projections, getting 306 when he was supposed to get 320-360. Trump's share of various demographic groups that the Democrats think they own, such as black, Latino, homosexual, and I think women (not sure on that last one, not going looking for it) only increased since last time. Regardless of which way the two Senate runoffs go, the Democrats will have lost a bunch of seats in Congress. The Senate probably won't end up in the best-case scenario for Democrats, looking like a tie with a Democrat tiebreaker, but even if it does, that won't do any good legislatively because they seldom have 100% agreement within their own party; some like Manchin have already declared their intention to vote with Republicans on certain issues. Yes, Trump's spectacular self-immolation is the most highly visible part of the big picture, and there were a few Republican losses in Congress, but those are little blue dents in the red wave.

Trump loss deniers seem to claim that this somehow means Trump couldn't have really lost, as if it weren't possible for multiple simultaneous elections to fail to all favor the same party. Of course it doesn't really mean that; it just means that Trump was so terrible that he managed to motivate a record level of votes against himself, even from people who had no interest at all in voting for Biden and voted more for other Republicans but not Trump. But one election out of lots & lots of simultaneous elections does not define the overall pattern and the overall pattern here is perfectly clear. Aside from the big distracting outlier, the people have made an unmistakable statement that they do not see the Democrats as offering what they want; the overall result is a thorough repudiation of Trump individually, and of democrats generally. And most Democrats are continuing to pay no attention to that fact.
What, specifically, do you suggest the Dems do about this, starting with Biden?
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:15 PM   #3357
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,355
I don't think the Dems can do anything, really, but wait it out.
We can already see that the Trump Revolution is eating its own children, and will continue to do so.
I'm waiting for Fox to answer Trump's attacks in kind.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo fox et amicis esse delendam.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:33 PM   #3358
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 10,190
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Trump will not give up.

He will win no matter what it takes.

The simmering civil war will get hot
...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E94069DA-90E1-4AAC-BABB-36C79C262CA3.jpg (58.6 KB, 7 views)
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:45 PM   #3359
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,625
Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. Biden underperformed even the worst-case-scenario projections, getting 306 when he was supposed to get 320-360. Trump's share of various demographic groups that the Democrats think they own, such as black, Latino, homosexual, and I think women (not sure on that last one, not going looking for it) only increased since last time. Regardless of which way the two Senate runoffs go, the Democrats will have lost a bunch of seats in Congress. The Senate probably won't end up in the best-case scenario for Democrats, looking like a tie with a Democrat tiebreaker, but even if it does, that won't do any good legislatively because they seldom have 100% agreement within their own party; some like Manchin have already declared their intention to vote with Republicans on certain issues. Yes, Trump's spectacular self-immolation is the most highly visible part of the big picture, and there were a few Republican losses in Congress, but those are little blue dents in the red wave.

Trump loss deniers seem to claim that this somehow means Trump couldn't have really lost, as if it weren't possible for multiple simultaneous elections to fail to all favor the same party. Of course it doesn't really mean that; it just means that Trump was so terrible that he managed to motivate a record level of votes against himself, even from people who had no interest at all in voting for Biden and voted more for other Republicans but not Trump. But one election out of lots & lots of simultaneous elections does not define the overall pattern and the overall pattern here is perfectly clear. Aside from the big distracting outlier, the people have made an unmistakable statement that they do not see the Democrats as offering what they want; the overall result is a thorough repudiation of Trump individually, and of democrats generally. And most Democrats are continuing to pay no attention to that fact.
I can't say that I agree that this election was a repudiation of the Democratic Party. I think that you're basing your conclusion on them not doing as well as the polls predicted. The Democrats are in much better shape than they were 4 years ago. They lost seats in the House, but they gained an unusually large amount in 2018, so I don't know that this represents any sort of significant long-term shift in the electorate. They picked up at least 1 seat in the Senate. I will agree, however, that the Democrats ran a poor campaign, such as focusing too much on the pandemic.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:54 PM   #3360
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,625
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Holy moly! A lot of Americans turned out for a Washington politician who’s been in office for nearly 50 years. Consider this: no incumbent president in nearly a century and a half has gained votes in a re-election campaign and still lost.
Holy moly! In 2016, 62 million people voted for a presidential candidate who had no experience in government, who had run multiple businesses into bankruptcy, and who had recently been forced to refund more than $20 MILLION to people whom he had cheated by running a fake university.

Holy moly! In 2020, 73 million people voted for an incumbent president whose term in office was notable only for its incompetence, dishonesty, corruption, and continual turnover of senior personnel.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan



Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 28th November 2020 at 10:55 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.