IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 28th November 2020, 10:57 PM   #3361
dirtywick
Master Poster

a lot of stuff never happened until it happened
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 10:59 PM   #3362
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
So Trump finished the wall in time? Has Mexico paid yet?
I have it on good authority (Trump supporters on Instagram) that Mexico has indeed paid for the walls .

They also informed me that when we make accusations of Trump lying, we are just splitting hairs. And that the lists of lies by Politico et al are "fake", whatever that means.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 11:05 PM   #3363
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It is interesting how the "argument from incredulity" cuts both ways when it comes to the Election.

That is a good indication that, all in all, it was a fair election.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:25 PM   #3364
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Hmm? I'm going to echo acbytesla here a bit. Trump managed to make the election very much about Trump, because that's the way Trump works.

Trump is horrendous. He was propped up by extremely biased right-wing propaganda and lies and the very divisive partisanship that the right wing has been ever more successful with since right wing extremist activists worked to steal control of various organizations like the NRA and use them to spread divisive disinformation for political ends.

Most of the country is very well aware of this, with some of the country intensely disturbed by how remarkably well the Trump era has mirrored Germany in the period just before the Nazis seized power and trying to prevent that from happening again. It looks like we've succeeded, at least to stave that off, either way.

"Hot" as in extremist right-wing terrorism will continue to rise? Sure, maybe, because of the manufactured outrage over nonsense that the right so loves. An actual civil war? I suppose if the right keeps working to make it so that American citizens DON'T get a fair chance and then keep effectively redirecting that dissatisfaction towards those who are actually trying to make it so that they will get a fair chance, it might get there, but it would be incredibly messy and likely very quickly doomed.

I'd call this largely a fair statement. There are, in fact, very significant differences that are the case when it comes to people on the left compared to the right, but there would likely be some similar behavior as the result, albeit expressed differently. Also... it may be worth it to point out that "we know that there is something deeply rotten in America today, and that sooner or later, what we know of as America might simply stop" as being something that's the case anyways, regardless of this election.

Not just them, of course. To be perfectly clear, though, said "black bloc brats" are largely not appreciated by most of the protestors, and pretty clearly not by BLM. Moving past that, though, there's distinct hypocrisy in the way (especially, but not only) right wing propaganda treats those morons compared to the various other intentional causers of damage and bad behavior.

Quote:
by Bubba View Post
and the guy who said "I am 100% Antifa" murdered someone in Portland.

By his own telling, it was in self-defense,
which, given that the person he killed had already gone well out of their way to cause harm to others is entirely feasible - and then that guy was hunted down and murdered, himself, after having made it perfectly clear that he was willing submit to the Justice system and be put on trial for his actions. Invoking that case does NOT help your argument, even before you get to the various police officers and citizens that right wing terrorists are already killing anyways.

Not true. Security cams have Mr 100% Antifa stalking his victim, pulling his gun while concealed, and then, off camera, shooting the victim, who was seen walking on sidewalk close to where Mr Antifa had been concealed. Victim and companion had just exited parking garage nearby.

Last edited by Bubba; 28th November 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 11:38 PM   #3365
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Not true. Security cams have Mr 100% Antifa stalking his victim, pulling his gun while concealed, and then, off camera, shooting the victim, who was seen walking on sidewalk close to where Mr Antifa had been concealed. Victim and companion had just exited parking garage nearby.
that is one interpretation.

it is also wrong.
Old 28th November 2020, 11:42 PM   #3366
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Bubba's denialism of the fact that Trump lost is pitiful, but one of the posts (s)he made about it somewhere back there contained some things that Democrats seem to have equally pitiful denialism over. And the latter is more self-destructive; it will do its bearers more harm if they don't snap out of it.

This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. Biden underperformed even the worst-case-scenario projections, getting 306 when he was supposed to get 320-360. Trump's share of various demographic groups that the Democrats think they own, such as black, Latino, homosexual, and I think women (not sure on that last one, not going looking for it) only increased since last time. Regardless of which way the two Senate runoffs go, the Democrats will have lost a bunch of seats in Congress. The Senate probably won't end up in the best-case scenario for Democrats, looking like a tie with a Democrat tiebreaker, but even if it does, that won't do any good legislatively because they seldom have 100% agreement within their own party; some like Manchin have already declared their intention to vote with Republicans on certain issues. Yes, Trump's spectacular self-immolation is the most highly visible part of the big picture, and there were a few Republican losses in Congress, but those are little blue dents in the red wave.

Trump loss deniers seem to claim that this somehow means Trump couldn't have really lost, as if it weren't possible for multiple simultaneous elections to fail to all favor the same party. Of course it doesn't really mean that; it just means that Trump was so terrible that he managed to motivate a record level of votes against himself, even from people who had no interest at all in voting for Biden and voted more for other Republicans but not Trump. But one election out of lots & lots of simultaneous elections does not define the overall pattern and the overall pattern here is perfectly clear. Aside from the big distracting outlier, the people have made an unmistakable statement that they do not see the Democrats as offering what they want; the overall result is a thorough repudiation of Trump individually, and of democrats generally. And most Democrats are continuing to pay no attention to that fact.
LOL! You don't think the Dems learned a thing or two?

Cry more, snowflake!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th November 2020, 11:52 PM   #3367
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Too bad that we'll not see that evidence reviewed (and that interpretation likely shown to be utter BS) in court, given that he was murdered after the right-wing extremists pushed for his murder so hard.

But whatever. We already know that the left didn't do the same to all those numerous right wing murderers.

Last edited by Aridas; 28th November 2020 at 11:56 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 12:17 AM   #3368
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

"According to the police affidavit, Danielson had a loaded Glock pistol in a holster and was holding a can of bear spray and an expandable metal baton"
https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...ecm-story.html

Really? You are lying again Bubba. Show us these security video.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 12:28 AM   #3369
Aridas

Deleted - had a senior moment.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th November 2020 at 12:30 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 12:33 AM   #3370
dirtywick
Master Poster

This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. Biden underperformed even the worst-case-scenario projections, getting 306 when he was supposed to get 320-360. Trump's share of various demographic groups that the Democrats think they own, such as black, Latino, homosexual, and I think women (not sure on that last one, not going looking for it) only increased since last time. Regardless of which way the two Senate runoffs go, the Democrats will have lost a bunch of seats in Congress. The Senate probably won't end up in the best-case scenario for Democrats, looking like a tie with a Democrat tiebreaker, but even if it does, that won't do any good legislatively because they seldom have 100% agreement within their own party; some like Manchin have already declared their intention to vote with Republicans on certain issues. Yes, Trump's spectacular self-immolation is the most highly visible part of the big picture, and there were a few Republican losses in Congress, but those are little blue dents in the red wave.
Well I disagree with this, it's overly pessimistic and not really reflective of what happened. In one hand, the Dems also over performed in Congress during the midterms, and may even take the Senate majority. It's obviously disappointing that they didn't win a few more seats, but that brings me to my next point.

pollsters this year again were people who didn't know what they were talking about and thought that Biden was going to win a landslide and the dems were going to clean up in both the House and Senate, but instead Biden merely won convincingly and dems have a real chance at holding a majority in both houses of congress, is something that's Biden's or the Dem's fault. but it was their bad projections that set unrealistic expectations that you're point out the dems couldn't meet.

they simply had terrible projections. people think Trump was a joke opponent because he's an idiot, but he wasn't. he got 73M votes, you need to realize he wasn't nearly as unpopular as you were led to believe and neither is the R party.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 01:25 AM   #3371
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

J
1. 80 Million Votes

Holy moly! A lot of Americans turned out for a Washington politician who’s been in office for nearly 50 years. Consider this: no incumbent president in nearly a century and a half has gained votes in a re-election campaign and still lost.

President Trump gained more than ten million votes since his 2016 victory, but Biden’s appeal was so substantial that it overcame President Trump’s record support among minority voters. Biden also shattered Barack Obama’s own popular vote totals, really calling into question whether it was not perhaps Biden who pulled Obama across the finish lines in 2008 and 2012.

Proving how sharp his political instincts are, the former VP managed to gather a record number of votes while consistently trailing President Trump in measures of voter enthusiasm. Biden was so savvy that he motivated voters unenthusiastic about his campaign to vote for him in record numbers.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/11/23...lection-norms/
The author completely misses the point of what happened. He is right that Joe Biden was uninspiring, and didn't do much of anything to get out the vote.

This election was all about Trump. I kind of like Joe Biden. He's not awful, but he's way too old to take on the Presidency. However, he has one characteristic that made him very, very, appealing.

He is not Donald Trump.

Donald Trump inspired millions of new voters who had never voted before to come out and vote. The problem is that he inspired more people to vote against him than to vote for him.

Read a George Will column for Pete's sake. George Will. Recognize that name? All my life, a Republican columnist, until 2016...or was it 2017 that he made it official. I don't remember. There are lots of people like George Will who are staunch conservatives, and solid Republicans, who would never under any circumstances vote for Donald Trump, and in many cases would do anything they could to get rid of him.

Trump's negatives were just too high to win re-election.

And we are not told that Joe Biden won, we counted the votes. Joe had more or them.
Old 29th November 2020, 01:31 AM   #3372
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
I can't say that I agree that this election was a repudiation of the Democratic Party. I think that you're basing your conclusion on them not doing as well as the polls predicted. The Democrats are in much better shape than they were 4 years ago. They lost seats in the House, but they gained an unusually large amount in 2018, so I don't know that this represents any sort of significant long-term shift in the electorate. They picked up at least 1 seat in the Senate. I will agree, however, that the Democrats ran a poor campaign, such as focusing too much on the pandemic.
Because bungling the handling of a pandemic that has already killed >250,000 people wasn't an important issue?
Old 29th November 2020, 01:48 AM   #3373
Aridas

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because bungling the handling of a pandemic that has already killed >250,000 people wasn't an important issue?
It's an important issue, but not the only one, by far. This goes back to your oft repeated complaint, though. Democrats are generally bad at messaging in comparison to Republicans. In the end, the pandemic was a good reason to vote against Trump, but I didn't get the impression that it was used all that well to make the issue actually pro-Biden or more generally pro-Democrat. Same for a lot else, really. Biden was sold strongly as... a decent guy. That, in reality, is incredibly tepid as a pro-Biden thing. Biden, policy-wise, was vastly better in pretty much every way. Policy was never all that much of a focus for the campaigning, though, which let the GOP try nearly unimpeded to shape the conversation about what Biden would actually push.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th November 2020 at 01:52 AM.
Old 29th November 2020, 01:53 AM   #3374
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
that is one interpretation.

it is also wrong.

Thats what the cam footage looked like to me

What did it look like to you?
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 02:08 AM   #3375
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I hope Trump Baby makes it to the Biden inauguration.
I hope not. This is the dawning of a new era. Trump, in any form, has no part in it.
Old 29th November 2020, 02:10 AM   #3376
Bubba
Philosopher

Some internet guy's opinion

Quote:
THIS FROM CNN'S FAREED ZAKARIA, OF ALL PLACES....You think they are starting to get very, very nervous? Considering their stance towards Trump & on the election, payback could be brutal - and should be. What he means is that if the electoral college does not make a decision AND the Congress does not accept it, the choice falls on the US House of Representatives - where every state has one vote, so (e.g.) Delaware or Mississippi have the same voting power as California or New York....

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...49702165170463
Old 29th November 2020, 03:20 AM   #3377
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The governors or secretaries of state/of the commonwealth have already summoned the Democrat slate of electors in Georgia, Pennsylvania and Michigan. Arizona and Nevada will soon do that same. The EC will elect Joe Biden. No state legislature will convene to seat new electors. Trump's "legal and landscaping team" and that Powell person just lose and lose and lose. They don't even allege fraud in court.
Old 29th November 2020, 04:02 AM   #3378
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yea, 180 days since the passage of ACT 77.

They only object after the election.
No, they only objected when too many people voted the wrong way...
Old 29th November 2020, 04:06 AM   #3379
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Being as both are dead and not from a swing state, what they hell does this have to do with the election?
Old 29th November 2020, 04:09 AM   #3380
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
No, they only objected when too many people voted the wrong way...
The concurring statement by Justice Wecht is worth a read:

Quote:
Having delayed this suit until two elections were conducted under Act 77’s new, no-excuse mail-in voting system, Petitioners—several of whom participated in primary elections under this system without complaint—play a dangerous game at the expense of every Pennsylvania voter. Petitioners waived their opportunity to challenge Act 77 before the election, choosing instead to “lay by and gamble upon receiving a favorable decision of the electorate.”
Unsatisfied with the results of that wager, they would now flip over the table, scattering to the shadows the votes of millions of Pennsylvanians. It is not our role to lend legitimacy to such transparent and untimely efforts to subvert the will of Pennsylvania voters.

Courts should not decide elections when the will of the voters is clear.

http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinio...final.pdf?cb=2
(bodling mine)

Last edited by Firestone; 29th November 2020 at 04:10 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 04:20 AM   #3381
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

(bodling mine)
Well, that's just nitpicking isn't it?
Old 29th November 2020, 04:41 AM   #3382
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post

(bodling mine)
So, I'm not a lawyer. I was an immigration officer and adjudications officer for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. In that capacity I read a LOT of precedent decisions. Immigration law tends to be very vague and courts have been forced to fill in a lot of the gaps. When adjudicating applications for immigration benefits (I mostly did cases of suspected marriage fraud) you have to read and apply your governing circuit court decisions.

Judges, never write like this. They just don't. There's a basic assumption that both parties are acting in good faith and within the bounds of ethics for the legal profession. Decisions tend to be very precise legal determinations written in very disciplined language. These judges were venting their spleens.

This decision wasn't written for a respected member of the legal profession doing his/her utmost to protect a client's interest. This is a pretty stunning rebuke.
Old 29th November 2020, 04:54 AM   #3383
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So, I'm not a lawyer. I was an immigration officer and adjudications officer for the Immigration and Naturalization Service. In that capacity I read a LOT of precedent decisions. Immigration law tends to be very vague and courts have been forced to fill in a lot of the gaps. When adjudicating applications for immigration benefits (I mostly did cases of suspected marriage fraud) you have to read and apply your governing circuit court decisions.

Judges, never write like this. They just don't. There's a basic assumption that both parties are acting in good faith and within the bounds of ethics for the legal profession. Decisions tend to be very precise legal determinations written in very disciplined language. These judges were venting their spleens.

This decision wasn't written for a respected member of the legal profession doing his/her utmost to protect a client's interest. This is a pretty stunning rebuke.
(bolding mine)

Indeed, same for the other decisions in PA this week.

But I can understand them. These Trump and Republican cases are egregious, with a staggering dis-proportionality between the claims and the requested relief.
I'm not aware of any similar cases in any Western democracy in our times.

Last edited by Firestone; 29th November 2020 at 05:05 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 05:27 AM   #3384
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Thats what the cam footage looked like to me

What did it look like to you?
Off topic for this thread.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 05:50 AM   #3385
wareyin
Philosopher

It's an important issue, but not the only one, by far. This goes back to your oft repeated complaint, though. Democrats are generally bad at messaging in comparison to Republicans. In the end, the pandemic was a good reason to vote against Trump, but I didn't get the impression that it was used all that well to make the issue actually pro-Biden or more generally pro-Democrat. Same for a lot else, really. Biden was sold strongly as... a decent guy. That, in reality, is incredibly tepid as a pro-Biden thing. Biden, policy-wise, was vastly better in pretty much every way. Policy was never all that much of a focus for the campaigning, though, which let the GOP try nearly unimpeded to shape the conversation about what Biden would actually push.
The modern GOP has never let actual facts, stated goals, or legislative history of a candidate get in the way of their "shaping the conversation about what [any Democratic candidate] would actually push." There is nothing the Dems could do or say to prevent the modern GOP shrieking about every Dem being a "radical liberal" no matter how centrist, tepid, or bland that candidate really is. Falling into the trap of blaming the Dems for what the Reps say about them is foolish and dangerous.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 05:57 AM   #3386
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dinesh D'Souza tweeted

@DineshDSouza
Biden “won” in the same way that Lance Armstrong “won.” Yes, Armstrong crossed the finish line first. But his victory was bogus because he cheated. That’s what we’re saying about Biden. He cheated—and we’re going to try and prove this in court
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:25 AM   #3387
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dinesh D'Souza tweeted

@DineshDSouza
Biden “won” in the same way that Lance Armstrong “won.” Yes, Armstrong crossed the finish line first. But his victory was bogus because he cheated. That’s what we’re saying about Biden. He cheated—and we’re going to try and prove this in court
You can try, little convicted felon, but you need actual evidence.

And you are the last person on Earth who has a right to complain about someone cheating.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:32 AM   #3388
8enotto
Graduate Poster

A noted change in language.

"We are going to TRY and prove this in court".

From " We WILL (do action) " used in other messages.
Reality is known if not being respected.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:46 AM   #3389
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
A noted change in language.

"We are going to TRY and prove this in court".

From " We WILL (do action) " used in other messages.
Reality is known if not being respected.

Hopefully we'll soon be at the point where he starts saying "We are going to FAIL to prove this in court".
Old 29th November 2020, 06:49 AM   #3390
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Like I said, McConnell will back Trump as long as he thinks Trump can help keep those last 2 Senate seats in GOP hands.

After that, it will be interesting to see which Republicans change their POVs.

But just like the TEA Party took over the GOP first, the Trump Party is still the look of the party. Trump has so much of a donation draw, the next couple years will be interesting.
The overlap between the Trumpists and the mainstream GOP is considerable. The Trumpists will be brought inside as were the Tea Party and as will QAnon.

The fact is that President Trump represents the modern day GOP, not because he has hijacked it, but because 90% of the GOP agree with what he says and does.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:59 AM   #3391
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The author completely misses the point of what happened. He is right that Joe Biden was uninspiring, and didn't do much of anything to get out the vote.

This election was all about Trump. I kind of like Joe Biden. He's not awful, but he's way too old to take on the Presidency. However, he has one characteristic that made him very, very, appealing.

He is not Donald Trump.

Donald Trump inspired millions of new voters who had never voted before to come out and vote. The problem is that he inspired more people to vote against him than to vote for him.

Read a George Will column for Pete's sake. George Will. Recognize that name? All my life, a Republican columnist, until 2016...or was it 2017 that he made it official. I don't remember. There are lots of people like George Will who are staunch conservatives, and solid Republicans, who would never under any circumstances vote for Donald Trump, and in many cases would do anything they could to get rid of him.

Trump's negatives were just too high to win re-election.

And we are not told that Joe Biden won, we counted the votes. Joe had more or them.
Yep, probably Biden was perfectly aware that one of his most powerful political assets was the fact that he wasn't Donald Trump.

Probably one of Trump's most powerful political assets in 2016 was that he wasn't Hillary Clinton. I worked next to a Trump voter for more than a year (really nice guy, in case anyone was wondering) and he didn't talk about Trump much. But he sure hated Hillary Clinton.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 07:09 AM   #3392
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Dinesh D'Souza tweeted
[...] He cheated—and we’re going to try and prove this in court
That "going to" seems a little inaccurate.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 07:17 AM   #3393
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Yes some do. This is from your link:
Not exactly an army and it's not one that might appeal to a lot of people.
That "not masturbate" thing is actually clever, even if they do not know about it themself. It will increase aggression and stress levels, making Proud Boys more prone to violence.

In general, you dismiss these movements at your peril.

This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost.
You are almost as bad as Trump. Bernie lost primaries many, many months ago. GET OVER IT.
Old 29th November 2020, 07:31 AM   #3394
Aridas

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
The modern GOP has never let actual facts, stated goals, or legislative history of a candidate get in the way of their "shaping the conversation about what [any Democratic candidate] would actually push." There is nothing the Dems could do or say to prevent the modern GOP shrieking about every Dem being a "radical liberal" no matter how centrist, tepid, or bland that candidate really is. Falling into the trap of blaming the Dems for what the Reps say about them is foolish and dangerous.
To be clear, I'm not blaming the Dems for what the Reps say about them. What blame there is on the Dems there is that the Dems didn't manage to say so much about what the Dems actually push compared to the Republican lies about what they push. That's hardly only the Dems fault, especially when it comes to how the MSM and social media work, but when a huge part of the actual campaign strategy for Biden was "Biden's a 'decent' guy," that is little more than "Biden's not Trump." That's not really a ringing endorsement of Biden or the Democrats, nor, normally, reason to get all that enthusiastic.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th November 2020 at 07:33 AM.
Old 29th November 2020, 07:49 AM   #3395
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

'Biden is not Trump' was pretty much the only message that could cut through normal and right-wing media alike.

When Fox and the like could tear down Obamacare by confusing people into thinking it's something other than the ACA, there is nothing Dems can do to set things straight: only emotions matter.
Old 29th November 2020, 08:00 AM   #3396
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

To be clear, I'm not blaming the Dems for what the Reps say about them. What blame there is on the Dems there is that the Dems didn't manage to say so much about what the Dems actually push compared to the Republican lies about what they push.
That’s quite the dilemma.

It might have seemed like a good idea for Biden to have a press conference where he clearly laid out why he was NOT in any way a socialist. But knowing human psychology, it would have probably just cemented the false narrative that he WAS a socialist - why else would he spend so much time talking about it? Same for “open borders” or “destroying the suburbs” or “hurting God”. I think that’s why “The Big Lie” works as well as it does.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:13 AM   #3397
Tero
Master Poster

Trending WP article
Quote:
On the afternoon of Nov. 13, a Friday, Trump called Giuliani from the Oval Office while other advisers were present, including Vice President Pence; White House counsel Pat Cipollone; Johnny McEntee, the director of presidential personnel; and Clark.

Giuliani, who was on speakerphone, told the president that he could win and that his other advisers were lying to him about his chances. Clark called Giuliani an expletive and said he was feeding the president bad information. The meeting ended without a clear path, according to people familiar with the discussion.

The next day, a Saturday, Trump tweeted out that Giuliani, Ellis, Powell and others were now in charge of his legal strategy. Ellis startled aides by entering the campaign’s Arlington headquarters and instructing staffers that they must now listen to her and Giuliani.

“They came in one day and were like, ‘We have the president’s direct order. Don’t take an order if it doesn’t come from us,’ ” a senior administration official recalled.

Clark and Miller pushed back, the official said. Ellis threatened to call Trump, to which Miller replied, “Sure, let’s do this,” said a campaign adviser.

It was a fiery altercation, not unlike the many that had played out over the past four years in the corridors of the West Wing. The outcome was that Giuliani and Ellis, as well as Powell — the “elite strike force,” as they dubbed themselves — became the faces of the president’s increasingly unrealistic attempts to subvert democracy.

The strategy, according to a second senior administration official, was, “Anyone who is willing to go out and say, ‘They stole it,’ roll them out. Rudy Giuliani, Jenna Ellis, Sidney Powell. Send [former acting director of national intelligence] Ric Grenell out West. Send [American Conservative Union Chairman] Matt Schlapp somewhere. Just roll everybody up who is willing to do it into a clown car, and when it’s time for a press conference, roll them out.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...on/ar-BB1bs02h

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:13 AM   #3398
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

When one side lies and enough people believe them, what are you going to do? Hire better PR people? Tell the believers that they are schmucks? It's not like there's a straightforward way to tackle this, but everyone's always so smart about how things should've been done.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:28 AM   #3399
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
When one side lies and enough people believe them, what are you going to do? Hire better PR people? Tell the believers that they are schmucks? It's not like there's a straightforward way to tackle this, but everyone's always so smart about how things should've been done.
Judging from history, this kind of thing is quite often resolved with violence.

I can only hope fate of republicans will be like fate of nazis (those that survived anyway). You know, those old nazi farts living their last days in Germany and talking in pub how even Hitler could not do anything against Jewish menace, holocaust didn't happen and they deserved that nonexistent holocaust anyway.

But between now and this distant future there will be a lot of suffering. Republican dystopia justifies the means, after all.

Last edited by Mader Levap; 29th November 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:58 AM   #3400
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I hope Trump Baby makes it to the Biden inauguration.
I beg to differ. Right now we can say stuff in relief and hope it's over, but from then on, it should back to maturity and honorable conduct. The world has had all the crap it needs for a long time to come.

Either Trump shows up in person and behaves himself, or he is out and forgotten.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics