IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 03:16 PM   #3441
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Another lawsuit was filed yesterday in Wisconsin. Brought by Dean Mueller asking for an emergency injunction by the State Supreme Court to block certification of the 2020 Presidential Election.

His complaint? He says the use of drop boxes was unconstitutional. That the Wisconsin Elections Commission cannot authorize this. Only the State legislature can.

The remedy he is asking?

That any ballots using the drop boxes to be illegal.

or

That the State must hold another election before December 14.

or

Have the State legislature choose the electors.

I'm really curious if the Wisconsin Supreme Court would even hear such a complaint given the timing. This issue could have been raised before the election but wasn't and the remedies is to disenfranchise a hell of a lot of voters or all Wisconsin voters.

Watching Legal Eagle's podcast tells me that the Doctrine of laches is what I'm searching for in describing Dean Mueller's attempt to reverse an election post hoc on a technicality.
Surely, the phrase you're searching for is 4d Chess.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 03:17 PM   #3442
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I was just pushed the news that some top Republicans are encouraging Trump to attend Biden’s inauguration, “...for the good of the party”.

I, for one, hope he doesn’t attend. If he does, much of the coverage and attention may end up being about Trump - how he does or doesn’t behave, that sort of thing. It can only detract from the solemnity and solemnity of Biden’s swearing in.

Just Stay Away!™️
Come on. Joe is boring. Joe doing boring rituals is super boring. A clown would make it much more fun.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 03:37 PM   #3443
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Yes, and at that time, she will (probably) still be a Senator. She'll be watching Mike Pence count electoral votes. The first time it convenes after January 20, she will be President of the Senate.
Old 29th November 2020, 03:42 PM   #3444
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Surely, the phrase you're searching for is 4d Chess.
That's good.

Mueller should tip over his king then.
Old 29th November 2020, 03:45 PM   #3445
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Come on. Joe is boring. Joe doing boring rituals is super boring. A clown would make it much more fun.
Can you imagine Trump being there after all this ridiculousness? About as appealing as a turd in a punch bowl.
Old 29th November 2020, 03:48 PM   #3446
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

That's good.

Mueller should tip over his king then.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th November 2020, 03:52 PM   #3447
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I was just pushed the news that some top Republicans are encouraging Trump to attend Biden’s inauguration, “...for the good of the party”.

I, for one, hope he doesn’t attend. If he does, much of the coverage and attention may end up being about Trump - how he does or doesn’t behave, that sort of thing. It can only detract from the solemnity and solemnity of Biden’s swearing in.

Just Stay Away!™️
There is no way he will attend. Which is probably for the best.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 04:18 PM   #3448
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Watching Legal Eagle's podcast tells me that the Doctrine of laches is what I'm searching for in describing Dean Mueller's attempt to reverse an election post hoc on a technicality.
Thank Odin for that guy. A rare voice of reason and intellect in a swamp of dickheads.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 04:47 PM   #3449
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Thank Odin for that guy. A rare voice of reason and intellect in a swamp of dickheads.
Want to learn the law? The Legal Eagle dissects cases and the law as well as anyone. Popehat and him are my favorites. Kirschner is off and on. Too often though Kirschner prattles on what should be right, not what is actually the legal issues.

About the only thing I don't like about the Legal Eagle is how he pitches everything from his suits to his tie clips to his hair products.
Old 29th November 2020, 04:55 PM   #3450
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Want to learn the law? The Legal Eagle dissects cases and the law as well as anyone. Popehat and him are my favorites. Kirschner is off and on. Too often though Kirschner prattles on what should be right, not what is actually the legal issues.

About the only thing I don't like about the Legal Eagle is how he pitches everything from his suits to his tie clips to his hair products.
His commercials are fine with me. It's stuff he uses and likes, and it helps him put more of the best yt legal content out there. I've been a subscriber almost from the start.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 05:11 PM   #3451
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

His commercials are fine with me. It's stuff he uses and likes, and it helps him put more of the best yt legal content out there. I've been a subscriber almost from the start.
It's ok. But most of what he pitches are vanity products. Don't I look like a high priced attorney who over-bills.

But the content of most of his videos is top notch.
Old 29th November 2020, 05:39 PM   #3452
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Krebs is on 60 minutes right now. Some new details about the election security but mostly him restating what he already said.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 06:28 PM   #3453
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
An anonymous character on the internet (you) points out that some internet guy has an opinion about a journalist's interpretation of the constitution.

All hail Kevin Bacon.
Old 29th November 2020, 06:53 PM   #3454
trustbutverify
Philosopher

It's ok. But most of what he pitches are vanity products. Don't I look like a high priced attorney who over-bills.

But the content of most of his videos is top notch.
I respectfully disagree. Viewers like the way he presents himself, and asked him about it. I don't think he looks like an over-priced attorney. Just a competently dressed professional.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 29th November 2020, 07:15 PM   #3455
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I respectfully disagree. Viewers like the way he presents himself, and asked him about it. I don't think he looks like an over-priced attorney. Just a competently dressed professional.
That's fair. Still, a little too much flash for my tastes. Too much focus on appearance.

I have also known far too many attorneys that dress the part and are idiots. He dresses the part, but he does an excellent job in explaining legal terms and processes
Old 29th November 2020, 07:37 PM   #3456
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Details on what Krebs had to say?

"Krib" notes on the big points are fine.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:02 PM   #3457
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets a 4 minute video of Diamond & Silk on Newsmax giving their verdict on voter fraud and the Constitution.

(Video in Link)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...47732218863616
How in the world did those two asshats ever come to prominence?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:18 PM   #3458
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Ooops forgot that all important link

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2020/11...-state-1000152
Really crappy writing on a crappy web site. Works for me.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:29 PM   #3459
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post

60 minutes segment:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/chris-...-2020-11-29/#x

I saw a chunk of this from the break room earlier tonight. He was being pitched examples of the Trump/Giuliani/et al claims. Krebs was (patiently) incredulous with each one as they came, due to one (or several) underlying farcical concepts they were built on.
Delphic Oracle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 08:54 PM   #3460
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
60 minutes segment:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/chris-...-2020-11-29/#x

I saw a chunk of this from the break room earlier tonight. He was being pitched examples of the Trump/Giuliani/et al claims. Krebs was (patiently) incredulous with each one as they came, due to one (or several) underlying farcical concepts they were built on.
Here's the 60 minutes segment on YouTube as well

https://youtu.be/YzBJJ1sxtEA
Old 29th November 2020, 08:59 PM   #3461
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
This election was a failure for Democrats in every way except the fact that Trump lost. <snip>
To add to the woes that Delvo cited, it's worse at the state level. The 2020 census will be used by the states for reapportioning. Sadly, the GOP owns more governorships and legislatures than they did in 2010 and I'm sure no one here needs to be reminded how that reapportioning went.

In fact, I think the 2020 USA election was in concert with a larger, world-wide shift toward right wing extremism. Worse, I think this trend will worsen in the decades ahead. As global warming worsens disaster after disaster, makes national and international organizations less effective, and causes mass migrations, the selling of fear will be easier. And selling fear is the primary skill of right wing "populists" like Trump, bibi, Boris Johnson and others.

I'm not going to be around much longer and that might just be a blessing in disguise.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:09 PM   #3462
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The latest alleged word from inside the Trump camp is that he is planning to hold a major news conference to announce his 2024 campaign during the Biden inauguration ceremony, in a puerile attempt to "steal coverage".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:16 PM   #3463
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post

The very short version would be:

There.is.a.paper.record.of.the.vast.majority.of.vo tes!

The.paper.record.matched.the.machine.count.when.ha nd.counts.were.done.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:19 PM   #3464
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

NO WAY WE LOST THIS ELECTION!

Pennsylvania can lead the way, just like it did many years ago. Very important things happening!
Quote Tweet

“Democrats suffered crushing down-ballot loss across America.” @nytimes.
This is true. All statehouses won, and in Washington we did great. So I led this great charge, and I’m the only one that lost? No, it doesn’t work that way. This was a massive fraud, a RIGGED ELECTION!

@60Minutes never asked us for a comment about their ridiculous, one sided story on election security, which is an international joke. Our 2020 Election, from poorly rated Dominion to a Country FLOODED with unaccounted for Mail-In ballots, was probably our least secure EVER!

We have some big things happening in our various litigations on the Election Hoax. Everybody knows it was Rigged. They know Biden didn’t get more votes from the Black community than Obama, & certainly didn’t get 80,000,000 votes. Look what happened in Detroit, Philadelphia, plus!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 29th November 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:21 PM   #3465
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Nope, no way does Trump cross the 75 million vote threshold.
The Biden estimate may be about right. Almost all the ballots
left to be counted are in NY.

I went back, corrected a few dozen numbers, recalculated the normal,
scaled for the expected size, and to my surprise the votes for Trump
shrank, Biden stayed about the same.

Biden 81.1 million votes
Trump 74.6 million votes
Others 2.9 million votes
Old 29th November 2020, 09:23 PM   #3466
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

General Flynn tweets

@GenFlynn
#TeamKraken wins a major injunction. Judge Batten issues an order to freeze all dominion machines in GA.

The devil may have gone down to GA, but it is light that shines bright today.

@SidneyPowell1
@abigailcfrye
@LLinWood
@marklevinshow
@realDonaldTrump
@tracybeanz twitter.com/llinwood/statu…
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:24 PM   #3467
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Here's the 60 minutes segment on YouTube as well

https://youtu.be/YzBJJ1sxtEA
Thanks guys, not much US news gets down here as our coverage is about the religious pilgrimage stuff right now.
It seems they got bored repeating some idiot keeps calling fraud every day.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:27 PM   #3468
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

NO WAY WE LOST THIS ELECTION!

Pennsylvania can lead the way, just like it did many years ago. Very important things happening!
Quote Tweet

“Democrats suffered crushing down-ballot loss across America.” @nytimes.
This is true. All statehouses won, and in Washington we did great. So I led this great charge, and I’m the only one that lost? No, it doesn’t work that way. This was a massive fraud, a RIGGED ELECTION!

@60Minutes never asked us for a comment about their ridiculous, one sided story on election security, which is an international joke. Our 2020 Election, from poorly rated Dominion to a Country FLOODED with unaccounted for Mail-In ballots, was probably our least secure EVER!

We have some big things happening in our various litigations on the Election Hoax. Everybody knows it was Rigged. They know Biden didn’t get more votes from the Black community than Obama, & certainly didn’t get 80,000,000 votes. Look what happened in Detroit, Philadelphia, plus!
Because the interview wasn't about or with you, you mango moron.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:27 PM   #3469
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The latest alleged word from inside the Trump camp is that he is planning to hold a major news conference to announce his 2024 campaign during the Biden inauguration ceremony, in a puerile attempt to "steal coverage".
Baby steps.... now toddler steps: he's announcing his way out, he'll supposedly run again in 2024.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:30 PM   #3470
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

General Flynn tweets

@GenFlynn
#TeamKraken wins a major injunction. Judge Batten issues an order to freeze all dominion machines in GA.

The devil may have gone down to GA, but it is light that shines bright today.

@SidneyPowell1
@abigailcfrye
@LLinWood
@marklevinshow
@realDonaldTrump
@tracybeanz twitter.com/llinwood/statu…
Kraken got krunked.

Quote:
Georgia court issues, then reverses order to prevent Dominion voting machines being ‘wiped’
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...0b5ca814495c91
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:43 PM   #3471
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Because the interview wasn't about or with you, you mango moron.
Not to mention it isn't as if we aren't getting Trump's side in hourly doses here.

It's refreshing that 60 minutes didn't play the all sides must be heard card.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 29th November 2020 at 09:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th November 2020, 09:49 PM   #3472
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From the 60 Minutes interview:

GA had paper ballots, counted by machine, then had a hand recount that confirmed the machine count of the paper ballots.

IIRC Trumpikins wanted another machine count to delay certification I believe. The machines crashed according to that link which interfered with the recount. Sounds like the judge said go forward the machine recount was useless anyway.

Someone correct me if I don't have that right.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:09 PM   #3473
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
From the 60 Minutes interview:

GA had paper ballots, counted by machine, then had a hand recount that confirmed the machine count of the paper ballots.

IIRC Trumpikins wanted another machine count to delay certification I believe. The machines crashed according to that link which interfered with the recount. Sounds like the judge said go forward the machine recount was useless anyway.

Someone correct me if I don't have that right.
As I read it (and I stand to be corrected), the suit was thrown out because the injunction brought was not against those responsible for the ballot but some other party who simply leases the machines to them. Looks like a fairly basic legal fail by people who should do their job a lot better: Make sure you are bringing suit against the correct people!
Old 29th November 2020, 10:23 PM   #3474
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

As I read it (and I stand to be corrected), the suit was thrown out because the injunction brought was not against those responsible for the ballot but some other party who simply leases the machines to them. Looks like a fairly basic legal fail by people who should do their job a lot better: Make sure you are bringing suit against the correct people!
Which suit? You have over 30 to choose from.
Old 29th November 2020, 10:38 PM   #3475
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Which suit? You have over 30 to choose from.
With the vote-fraud crowd, who the **** knows any more! It's a cavalcade of fail anyway, so one is as good as another, I imagine.

The one where they tried to have the servers prevented from being routinely cleared so they could be returned to their owner.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:04 AM   #3476
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I read this somewhere a while back, and it explains Trump perfectly to my mind.

Trump craves success and attention above all else, and he uses money as a means to measure success.

The *only* thing in his entire life, at which you could say he was legitimately successful at, was the Apprentice. (Much of the reason for that was the hard work of the people that made the show, but Trump was a perfect fit, a "poor mans vision of a rich man" and one who would happily play the clown)

So now all the things he learned from reality TV he applies to everything. He berates career politicians for being "dull boring guys", which in reality TV would be a real problem, but is actually a plus point in a lot of real world jobs.

He sees everything in terms of ratings and thinks that more coverage = more ratings = more winning = more money.

He doesn't care about policies or politics, he genuinely thinks that he has been "winning" all of the past 4 years, because he has been headline news almost every day of those 4 years.

Most ratings ever!

People will tune in to watch the bad guy get his come uppance just as much as they tune in to see the guy get the girl. His grasp of how ratings work is as shallow as his taste in interior decor.

As soon as he is no longer a useful idiot for the GOP (shortly after the GA runoff elections I'd guess) the career GOP politicians will wash their hands of him and he'll get relegated to OAN or Breitbart and parler and will whine loudly with an ever dwindling audience for the rest of his days.
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 12:27 AM   #3477
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post

Trump craves success and attention above all else, and he uses money as a means to measure success.
Mary Trump related? She certainly talked about that in an interview.

As soon as he is no longer a useful idiot for the GOP (shortly after the GA runoff elections I'd guess) the career GOP politicians will wash their hands of him and he'll get relegated to OAN or Breitbart and parler and will whine loudly with an ever dwindling audience for the rest of his days.
Chances are decent that he'll be quickly kicked off Twitter for his wrongs once he's not officially President anymore, yes. I doubt that very many of the GOP politicians will wash their hands of him, though, in any meaningful manner. He's become enough of a part of the alternate reality narrative that they've spun that he's not likely to immediately disappear - especially if he just keeps campaigning. If he vanishes from the public eye for a fair while, they'll likely be glad about that, but, shameless as most of them are, they're not likely to denounce him unless they see pointed advantage to doing so.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:27 AM   #3478
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The *only* thing in his entire life, at which you could say he was legitimately successful at, was the Apprentice. (Much of the reason for that was the hard work of the people that made the show, but Trump was a perfect fit, a "poor mans vision of a rich man" and one who would happily play the clown)

So now all the things he learned from reality TV he applies to everything. He berates career politicians for being "dull boring guys", which in reality TV would be a real problem, but is actually a plus point in a lot of real world jobs.

He sees everything in terms of ratings and thinks that more coverage = more ratings = more winning = more money.

He doesn't care about policies or politics, he genuinely thinks that he has been "winning" all of the past 4 years, because he has been headline news almost every day of those 4 years.

Most ratings ever! [snipped for space]
If you want to understand Trump's behavior take a glance through the 'Trump has pathologic narcissism' thread. Or read Mary Trump's book which explains how he got the way he is.

People watch and follow him because he's a very good con artist. But he's a phony. You could call the fact he gets out of his failures and continues to keep the con going a form of success.

He is incapable of admitting failure. I don't mean he just doesn't want to, I mean he is incapable. So he has manufactured this nonsense about voter fraud. His lawyers dropped out leaving behind the likes of Giuliani.

He won't concede but he will slink away to Mar-a-Lago at some point. I'm pretty sure our tax dollars and/or donations are paying to remodel the place before he lives there full time instead of going back to NY. He will continue to get whatever he can from us in the way of charging high rates for the secret service ex-presidents are entitled to.

But his escape from the law may be coming to an end and he knows that. He can't pardon himself from state crimes and some of his tax fraud can be prosecuted by the states. What I'm curious about is will he pardon himself from the money laundering he's been doing via his real estate deals? He'll have to admit to it if he wants to try to pardon himself for it.

It will also be interesting to see what crimes he pardons his kids for.
Old 30th November 2020, 12:31 AM   #3479
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The judge said that the request should have been made to local county jurisdictions, not the state. The state owns the machines but they are administered by the counties.

Quote:
“Any injunction the court issues would extend only to defendants and those within their control, and plaintiffs have not demonstrated that county election officials are within defendants’ control. Defendants cannot serve as a proxy for local election officials against whom the relief should be sought.”
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th November 2020, 01:01 AM   #3480
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Keystone lawyers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics