IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 10th November 2020, 09:10 AM   #561
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,014
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And that's the "Well if bought off the refs that's the same thing as playing fairly" mentality.

You can't "Don't hate the player, hate the game" us into a dictatorship.
It seems that the GOP can - or at least is willing to give it the good ol' college try.

IMO it will be devastating for US democracy if the GOP are successful and President Trump remains in the White House - unless of course they are actually able to provide evidence which shows hundreds of thousands of votes cast illegally.

Of course I suppose they can change the definition of illegal post-hoc to, for example, throw out all postal votes in Pennsylvania.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:11 AM   #562
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,046
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
If the two teams can't agree on what the rules of the game are then the congressional delegations are the final ref. I'd be stunned if it got there.
The two teams agreed to the rules. Ahead of time. The Pennsylvania legislature passed laws about how to operate the elections. They did that. They followed the rules.

Trump is now crying the rules aren't fair because he lost.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:11 AM   #563
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
If the two teams can't agree on what the rules of the game are then the congressional delegations are the final ref. I'd be stunned if it got there.
I suppose behind them the final final ref is the People and the fallout that would come from what ever is decided. Same with impeachment. Each congress creature has to go back to their state and answer for their vote.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:11 AM   #564
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,360
Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I fired an employee at my store but never followed through on the paperwork after he refused to leave so I let him stay which was a disaster. I wonder if we are gonna end up with two presidents come Jan 20. The fact that so many countries aren't calling Biden is telling; they must know something that we don't.

So you didn't really fire him. You just said "Get out," and he said "You can't do that." But in the case of Trump, our paperwork is in order. And world leaders are congratulating Biden, just not the ones who have been his best pals. Putin hasn't said a word.
Quote:
(CNN)A stream of world leaders congratulated President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on their victory in the 2020 US presidential election on Saturday, with many striking a jubilant tone on social media.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/07/ameri...ntl/index.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:15 AM   #565
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 29,865
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I suppose behind them the final final ref is the People and the fallout that would come from what ever is decided. Same with impeachment. Each congress creature has to go back to their state and answer for their vote.
You mean the voice of the people that the Right isn't accepting and lying about and fighting?
__________________
Yahtzee: "You're doing that thing again where when asked a question you just discuss the philosophy of the question instead of answering the bloody question."
Gabriel: "Well yeah, you see..."
Yahtzee: "No. When you are asked a Yes or No question the first word out of your mouth needs to be Yes or No. Only after that have you earned the right to elaborate."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:18 AM   #566
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,173
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The only way to find out would be to go look. Somebody should go look, with witnesses representing the stakeholders close enough to witness the checks.
The only way to find out if you have committed pedophilia is to go look. And until we have looked, the proposition that you have committed pedophilia is equally valid to the proposition that you havenít.

Agreed?

If not, why?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:20 AM   #567
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
The two teams agreed to the rules. Ahead of time. The Pennsylvania legislature passed laws about how to operate the elections. They did that. They followed the rules.
The rules are not necessarily 100% precise, or consistent. I believe Trump argued before the election that late ballots shouldn't be counted based on a constitutional argument and the supreme course in their wisom decided not to make a decision until after the election.

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Trump is now crying the rules aren't fair because he lost.
I think Trumps argument is that the rules say he won. You are disagreeing with him about the rules. The way that disagreement gets decided seems to be first legally within the state, then the supreme court, then politically in the state, and then politically in congress.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:25 AM   #568
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You mean the voice of the people that the Right isn't accepting and lying about and fighting?
I think the argument is about whether the result represents the voice of the people. You are assuming your own conclusions.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:26 AM   #569
Olmstead
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The rules are not necessarily 100% precise, or consistent. I believe Trump argued before the election that late ballots shouldn't be counted based on a constitutional argument and the supreme course in their wisom decided not to make a decision until after the election.


I think Trumps argument is that the rules say he won. You are disagreeing with him about the rules. The way that disagreement gets decided seems to be first legally within the state, then the supreme court, then politically in the state, and then politically in congress.
What rules where?

Trump's argument is that he won because he's Trump, so people should go find something, anything, that will make it so. Do you disagree that this is Trump's position?
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:29 AM   #570
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,173
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I think the argument is about whether the result represents the voice of the people. You are assuming your own conclusions.
Upon what evidence is this argument based?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:29 AM   #571
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,216
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I think Trumps argument is that the rules say he won. You are disagreeing with him about the rules.
I wonder in what universe Trump could possibly be construed as saying anything that coherent. He initially claimed that he'd won before the ballot counting had even been completed in key states, then demanded that the count be stopped in the states he was winning but continued in the states he was losing. He then got a bit confused and started demanding that the count stopped in states he was losing. He's now saying that the states in which he lost should change the rules to make it so he won, but has no interest in applying rules consistently. There is no rationale to his claim that he's won, no invocation of what the rules are or should be; he's simply expecting that if he screams "I won!" loudly enough and often enough, everybody will award him the win. He's a spoiled child whom nobody has ever stood up to. Failing to stand up to him now will make him even worse.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:30 AM   #572
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 17,274
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I think Trumps argument is that the rules say he won.

The rules would say he won, if they were the rules of Quiddich, and Mitch McConnell caught the Golden Snitch sometime in the late evening of Election Day.

Unfortunately for Trump's claim, neither of those conditions appear to be true.
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:30 AM   #573
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,234
Quote:
Pres. Trump’s legal team has challenged a grand total of 180 rejected ballots in Maricopa County. Biden leads in AZ by 14,746 votes -
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ts/6229767002/

Really closing that lead!

These kinds of tactics would work in a Bush v Gore type of scenario. Recall that Florida was decided by a margin of 537 votes. Biden's lead is simply too big here for any such strategy to pay off.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:36 AM   #574
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,216
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It looks like they've determined that there are 180 votes that may have been incorrectly rejected, with no information as to whom they were votes for. The end result may as easily be to increase Biden's vote as Trump's.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:39 AM   #575
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,046
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It looks like they've determined that there are 180 votes that may have been incorrectly rejected, with no information as to whom they were votes for. The end result may as easily be to increase Biden's vote as Trump's.

Dave
Well, given the current distribution in mail-in votes in Arizona, we would expect that batch to make a difference of a 20 votes in Trump's favor. They only need to find 1000 more examples and they will take Arizona.

That would bring Biden's EC vote count down to 295.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:41 AM   #576
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,542
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Well, given the current distribution in mail-in votes in Arizona, we would expect that batch to make a difference of a 20 votes in Trump's favor. They only need to find 1000 more examples and they will take Arizona.

That would bring Biden's EC vote count down to 295.
Trump picked up 140 votes on Monday out of 6K votes. There were 38K left, and Biden leads by almost 15K. Trump's people should be able to do the math.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:41 AM   #577
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,355
Why do I get the feeling that this kind of counting is going to continue right up until November 2024?
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo fox et amicis esse delendam.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:43 AM   #578
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,234
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this kind of counting is going to continue right up until November 2024?
I don't think so. Trump may deny the legitimacy of any result in which he isn't the winner, but his consent is not required for states to certify their results. They will certify and the electoral college will vote regardless of what Trump says. He can try to keep rehashing the same old nonsense, but the states will move right along without him.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 10th November 2020 at 09:48 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:43 AM   #579
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
I don't remember Hillary shouting fraud after the election and the Democrats launching a blind search for irregularities.
Not only did Hillary concede the election the next morning but Obama invited Trump to the White House to begin the transition. It should be noted that Hillary lost Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania by smaller margins then Trump just lost them.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:45 AM   #580
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,542
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Not only did Hillary concede the election the next morning but Obama invited Trump to the White House to begin the transition. It should be noted that Hillary lost Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania by smaller margins then Trump just lost them.
Did you run a Benford Law analysis on 2016 results, hmmm?
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 10th November 2020 at 09:47 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:46 AM   #581
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,360
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
I think the argument is about whether the result represents the voice of the people. You are assuming your own conclusions.
If the question is about "the voice of the people," Biden won almost five million more votes than Trump. Biden won more votes than any previous candidate in history. "The people" are speaking pretty loudly.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:47 AM   #582
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this kind of counting is going to continue right up until November 2024?
I don't think so. This will fade. Either that, or this is the end of democracy in the United States. In which eventuality, votes won't matter.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:50 AM   #583
CORed
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 9,999
Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
The rules are not necessarily 100% precise, or consistent. I believe Trump argued before the election that late ballots shouldn't be counted based on a constitutional argument and the supreme course in their wisom decided not to make a decision until after the election.


I think Trumps argument is that the rules say he won. You are disagreeing with him about the rules. The way that disagreement gets decided seems to be first legally within the state, then the supreme court, then politically in the state, and then politically in congress.
The rules that Trump claims were broken are rules that exist only in his head, with the primary, but unspoken one being that he has to win.

Last edited by CORed; 10th November 2020 at 09:52 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:53 AM   #584
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 27,938
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Did you run a Benford Law analysis on 2016 results, hmmm?
Frankly, I have absolutely no idea WTF Benford's law is or what people are talking about. I also don't believe that almost anyone bringing it up to throw shade on the election do either. I'm not a mathematician or statistician. It sounds like jibber jabber to me.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:55 AM   #585
shuttlt
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 7,314
Originally Posted by CORed View Post
The rules that Trump claims were broken are rules that exist only in his head, with the primary, but unspoken one being that he has to win.
In that case, I assume he will be unsuccessful.
shuttlt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:55 AM   #586
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,014
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If the question is about "the voice of the people," Biden won almost five million more votes than Trump. Biden won more votes than any previous candidate in history. "The people" are speaking pretty loudly.
Yes but if the millions of illegal votes are stripped out...,
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 09:56 AM   #587
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster
 
ServiceSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,619
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
As far as I know, there is no evidence that you are a pedophile.

But I guess there should be an investigation to be sure. Agreed?
The police should only investigate if you or somebody else makes that claim. I would even go as far as saying you have duty to report what you know about me or anybody else being a pedophile. If you swear on your testimony that would lend even more validity to your claim. The police don't randomly think up possible crimes and investigate. Something or somebody prompts them to investigate. That is why these claims of investigating invisible dragons and such are disingenuous attempts at mockery. Police investigate on hearsay all the time.

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Your fallacy is: equivocation. An official investigation cannot be mandated unless sufficient evidence is offered, which may have been uncovered by a private organisation investigating on its own behalf.

Dave
You didn't read the historical example of actual election fraud that took place in 1982 Chicago, did you? Those true events and investigation will allow you to speak about voter fraud investigations with more intelligence of how things have actually occurred, and less posturing, narrative selection, and general tomfoolery.

Equivocation is calling two different things by the same name. Here is a equivocation from Wiki:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Since only man is rational.
And no woman is a man.
Therefore, no woman is rational.[1]
Show me how my statement below is an equivocation.

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
What a quandary you have constructed there! You cannot investigate unless you have evidence, but you cannot get evidence unless you investigate
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:00 AM   #588
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,216
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Frankly, I have absolutely no idea WTF Benford's law is or what people are talking about. I also don't believe that almost anyone bringing it up to throw shade on the election do either. I'm not a mathematician or statistician. It sounds like jibber jabber to me.
It's a perfectly respectable piece of statistical analysis, and in the right situation a useful one in detecting whether data is suspicious enough to warrant further investigation. It would be extremely unsafe to consider it sufficient evidence for anything on its own, and there is quite clearly not a consensus amongst experts that it's applicable to election results, as evidenced by the papers referenced upthread. No Other clearly thinks otherwise, but mathematical proof is not determined by who shouts the loudest.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:01 AM   #589
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,216
Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Show me how my statement below is an equivocation.
I already did. Would you like me to explain it more simply?

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:04 AM   #590
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,014
What are the specifics behind Rudy Giuliani's claim of 300,000 illegal votes in Philadelphia?

Is there hard evidence, or is it the usual baseless speculation?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:06 AM   #591
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 12,360
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this kind of counting is going to continue right up until November 2024?
It really can't. Once the states certify their counts and the Electoral College votes, it's over.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:08 AM   #592
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 30,608
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why do I get the feeling that this kind of counting is going to continue right up until November 2024?
Counting, no. Whining, yes, certainly.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:12 AM   #593
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,216
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Counting, no. Whining, yes, certainly.
Hopefully it'll continue at least up to November 2028.

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:14 AM   #594
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,355
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Counting, no. Whining, yes, certainly.
That's what I mean.

In 2024, there will still be people claiming that, actually, Trump got 270 votes.
__________________
Ceterum autem censeo fox et amicis esse delendam.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:15 AM   #595
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 30,608
By the way, I skipped to the last page of the thread from about page 8 and found the content indistinguishable. As I do with some other threads, I shall now put it on semi-ignore, clicking only to the last post instead of first new post!
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:17 AM   #596
Explorer
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,167
A blow to Trump?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1605019318
Explorer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:20 AM   #597
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,046
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Quote:
ďIt is critical, however, that candidates act responsibly by presenting and arguing legitimate claims before the courts, not unsubstantiated or harmful speculation in the public media.Ē
It doesn't matter to Trumpets
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:28 AM   #598
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 20,046
This thread has been focused on the lame attempts of accusations in the media, but is there a good list of the actual court cases in the works?
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:30 AM   #599
No Other
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Since you claim expertise in this, let's construct a hypothetical.
I do not claim to be an Expert.

Quote:
Suppose there is an election in which all counting districts are chosen so that the expected vote total from each is 1000 votes, and the votes counted fall within 10% of this figure. Suppose also that the two candidates each poll close to 50% overall, and the variance between counting districts turns out to be within 20% of this figure (i.e. all districts report between 30/70 and 70/30 votes for all candidates). Based only on the above information, would it be possible to use Benford's Law on the first digits of the numbers of votes cast to determine whether the results were, or were not, suspect?

I'll supply the answer later, if anyone hasn't got it immediately.

Dave
Benford's Law does not determine anything; it is a tool to be used as a comparison.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 10:32 AM   #600
No Other
Muse
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 633
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It's a perfectly respectable piece of statistical analysis, and in the right situation a useful one in detecting whether data is suspicious enough to warrant further investigation. It would be extremely unsafe to consider it sufficient evidence for anything on its own, and there is quite clearly not a consensus amongst experts that it's applicable to election results, as evidenced by the papers referenced upthread. No Other clearly thinks otherwise, but mathematical proof is not determined by who shouts the loudest.

Dave
You are correct when you say proof is not determined by who shouts the loudest.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.