ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:18 PM   #1041
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
No one can forgive Trump supporters because they will never apologize.
Article: I Voted for Trump and I Sorely Regret It
Old 4th December 2017, 10:19 PM   #1042
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I recall reading that when it was published, and immediately concluding that the writer must be, at the very least, both a horrible judge of character and a low-information voter. Toupee Fiasco's many failings have been obvious, and widely reported, for decades. He was plainly far inferior to Clinton, likely Johnson, and certainly McMullen as well.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 05:05 AM   #1043
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I recall reading that when it was published, and immediately concluding that the writer must be, at the very least, both a horrible judge of character and a low-information voter. Toupee Fiasco's many failings have been obvious, and widely reported, for decades. He was plainly far inferior to Clinton, likely Johnson, and certainly McMullen as well.
Never underestimate venality. There were piles of money out here for Trump pundits from demographics he polled abysmally with.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 03:37 PM   #1044
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Does anyone have a good theory on why Americans over 50 are (overall, not all of "you"...only about half) the most gullible electorate in the developed world?

The only thing I can think of is that it was the cold war. Being the other superpower in a real battle for world domination had a bunch of long-term side effects on people's minds, which are now culminated as support for DJT.
I am over 70 and clearly loathe trump and his b-buddies.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 11:26 PM   #1045
fuelair
Suspended

Trump supporters are so delusional that they believe they are the majority.
Only because of the abject stupidity that is the electoral college!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2017, 11:33 PM   #1046
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Only because of the abject stupidity that is the electoral college!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And they think the polls are all fake.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:24 AM   #1047
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

And they think the polls are all fake.

Only the ones with results they don't like.
Old 6th December 2017, 01:26 AM   #1048
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I am over 70 and clearly loathe trump and his b-buddies.
Again, it's only about half the folks in your age demographic (and the slightly younger one) who seem to have this peculiar problem.

I don't know a single person in their 30's who gets basically all their news from Fox and hate radio and voted for Trump. I know exactly one person in their 40's who did.

Of course, most of my friends are liberals, and my conservative friends generally call themselves "libertarians" now, but the hard-right skewing older thing is definitely real. You can see it here:
http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/fil...tbuilder_2.png
Old 6th December 2017, 02:45 AM   #1049
Minoosh
Philosopher

I think I've forgiven my Trump-voting family members - I never felt there was anything to forgive, really. It's a brother and nephew and their votes (I'm sure they voted) are canceled out by my sister-in-law and niece (pretty sure they voted ... I have a theory some Hillary supporters convinced themselves there was no need). Anyway I think I detect some slight softening in my brother's/nephew's support, although that may be wishful thinking.

On the other hand, friends? I'm not likely to be friends with anyone who voted for Trump. We just wouldn't have enough in common. All the boomers in my circle of close friends were appalled by Trump.

I ran into some teenagers who were pro-Trump because I see a huge variety in various schools. One school was essentially all-Latino with a fair number of "dreamers" who were hurt, bewildered and angered by his campaign rhetoric. In whiter schools opinion was mixed. One boy wore a T-shirt that said, "Reagan/Bush 2016." So not a fan, but a Republican.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 08:31 AM   #1050
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I think I've forgiven my Trump-voting family members - I never felt there was anything to forgive, really. It's a brother and nephew and their votes (I'm sure they voted) are canceled out by my sister-in-law and niece (pretty sure they voted ... I have a theory some Hillary supporters convinced themselves there was no need). Anyway I think I detect some slight softening in my brother's/nephew's support, although that may be wishful thinking.

On the other hand, friends? I'm not likely to be friends with anyone who voted for Trump. We just wouldn't have enough in common. All the boomers in my circle of close friends were appalled by Trump.

I ran into some teenagers who were pro-Trump because I see a huge variety in various schools. One school was essentially all-Latino with a fair number of "dreamers" who were hurt, bewildered and angered by his campaign rhetoric. In whiter schools opinion was mixed. One boy wore a T-shirt that said, "Reagan/Bush 2016." So not a fan, but a Republican.
He was popular in a lot of high schools.

https://nypost.com/video/fans-at-a-h...uild-the-wall/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3e8bdcf5bdf8

Making america white again appealed across many age ranges.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 10:16 AM   #1051
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Beyond this, it is a bit rich to accuse people pointing out these facts (which I would say are indisputable), given the utterly ridiculous accusations against Clinton that Trump and the Alt Right have been promoting
I'm having a bit of trouble following your logic here.

Some people, with whom I am not interacting, have done stupid things. And because those people, with whom I'm not interacting, have done stupid things, I am precluded from pointing out when people with whom I am interacting are doing slightly less stupid things?

Would we call this reductio ad whataboutism absurdum?
Old 6th December 2017, 01:39 PM   #1052
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Quote:
Beyond this, it is a bit rich to accuse people pointing out these facts (which I would say are indisputable), given the utterly ridiculous accusations against Clinton that Trump and the Alt Right have been promoting
I'm having a bit of trouble following your logic here.

Some people, with whom I am not interacting, have done stupid things. And because those people, with whom I'm not interacting, have done stupid things, I am precluded from pointing out when people with whom I am interacting are doing slightly less stupid things?

Would we call this reductio ad whataboutism absurdum?
You are accusing me of an attitude akin to religiosity for pointing out indisputable facts - Trump lies in a different way to other politicians, with no regard for the truth, or the importance of the lie.

As far as I see it, the religiosity is all in the Trump supporters who have sufficient faith in the Alt-Right conspiracy theories. Either they are knaves (and don't believe what they are pushing) or they are fools.

Sometimes one side is unequivocally right. More often, one side is unequivocally wrong. In this case, people who are still supporting Trump are obviously being wilfully blind. It is not religiosity to point this out. Trump's corruption is well documented. His utter disregard for the truth - even on things that don't matter and are easily disproven is painfully obvious ("largest inauguration crowd" is the most blinding example )
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2017, 01:43 PM   #1053
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Sometimes one side is unequivocally right. More often, one side is unequivocally wrong. In this case, people who are still supporting Trump are obviously being wilfully blind. It is not religiosity to point this out. Trump's corruption is well documented. His utter disregard for the truth - even on things that don't matter and are easily disproven is painfully obvious ("largest inauguration crowd" is the most blinding example )
But he needed to put his enemies in the CIA in their place by disrespecting their dead, because of how they would argue that russia helped him get elected. Russia doesn't even exist after all, totally made up by the deep state.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics