IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 09:33 AM   #2721
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Johnson has prevented Labour from tabling the VONC.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 09:56 AM   #2722
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Can I laugh at Javid not getting enough nominations?

Too late: I am laughing a lot.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 01:45 PM   #2723
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Yesterday Sunak was 11/8 clear favourite. Earlier today he'd moved out to 7/4, but a fair bit ahead of the rest. Now it's him and Mordaunt joint favs at 7/4.

Weird happenings. What a mess.
Old 12th July 2022, 03:55 PM   #2724
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"She's as strong a Brexiteer as either of us... Liz was always opposed to Rishi's higher taxes, that again is proper Conservatism"

Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees-Mogg back Liz Truss to be the next Conservative leader and PM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-p...ost_type=share
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 04:35 PM   #2725
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"She's as strong a Brexiteer as either of us... Liz was always opposed to Rishi's higher taxes, that again is proper Conservatism"

Nadine Dorries and Jacob Rees-Mogg back Liz Truss to be the next Conservative leader and PM

* p0lka kneads head.....

arggh.

Last edited by p0lka; 12th July 2022 at 04:36 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 02:44 AM   #2726
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Presumably a different Liz Truss to this one..

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 03:08 AM   #2727
catsmate
No longer the 1

Anyone for Tugendhat?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 03:22 AM   #2728
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Presumably a different Liz Truss to this one..

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...e93d139976.jpg
To be fair she probably didn't know there was a difference between a remainer and a brexiter. Can't expect her to understand such complicated stuff.
Old 13th July 2022, 03:31 AM   #2729
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Anyone for Tugendhat?
https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/...54929033601024

Quote:
Camilla Turner
@camillahmturner
One senior backbench MP who was in the room for the Common Sense group hustings tells me how Tom Tugendhat "completely fluffed" his answer to a question about Europe. "He was all about European team work and that fell flat on an audience that was full of Brexiteers," they said.
Maybe Tugendhat realises that he's unlikely to win this election, but by setting out his record for not denying the obvious, he's better placed to lead the Tories after the next General Election.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 04:26 AM   #2730
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I have seen some calling for this.

Tommy Robinson supporters though
They'd have to catch him first.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 04:44 AM   #2731
catsmate
No longer the 1

https://twitter.com/camillahmturner/...54929033601024

Maybe Tugendhat realises that he's unlikely to win this election, but by setting out his record for not denying the obvious, he's better placed to lead the Tories after the next General Election.
Ah, too sane for the current Conservatives.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 05:23 AM   #2732
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

People are banging on about his 'service' in the Army in Iraq and Afghanistan.
He was in the Territorial Army Educational and Training Services Branch.
He went to Afghanistan in a civilian capacity, for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
He never 'served' in a military capacity.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 05:25 AM   #2733
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He went to Afghanistan in a civilian capacity, for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.
In tory terms that makes him experienced enough to be the grand marshal of all military forces across all space and time!
Old 13th July 2022, 05:29 AM   #2734
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In tory terms that makes him experienced enough to be the grand marshal of all military forces across all space and time!
And he's probably over-qualified to be a Russian General.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 06:07 AM   #2735
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Meanwhile it looks as though Johnson is trying for a VONC in the government but not the PM.

If you can understand what I have just written, please let me know.

Old 13th July 2022, 06:08 AM   #2736
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
To be fair she probably didn't know there was a difference between a remainer and a brexiter. Can't expect her to understand such complicated stuff.
Oh that's harsh. Can't we remember her achievements for once link
Old 13th July 2022, 06:18 AM   #2737
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Aside from the current Tory soap opera, I have to say it's nice that the Home Office has decided not to punish Mo Farah for letting himself be trafficked and effectively enslaved as a teenager by stripping him of his citizenship and deporting him to a failed state. I'm sure the fact that he's a national sporting hero had no bearing on this outcome whatsoever.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 09:33 AM   #2738
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
And he's probably over-qualified to be a Russian General.

Dave
Well, he is still breathing.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 11:47 AM   #2739
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why was this fool elected to speaker? He’s pathetic!
Old 13th July 2022, 12:13 PM   #2740
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Why was this fool elected to speaker? He’s pathetic!
He's pathetic is why.

What has he done just now?

Old 13th July 2022, 12:36 PM   #2741
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He's pathetic is why.

What has he done just now?
Hoyle orders ALBA MPs Neale Hanvey and Kenny MacAskill out of the chamber for heckling Boris Johnson

Video in link.

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1547187346327699458

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 13th July 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 13th July 2022, 12:36 PM   #2742
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Cruella de Braverman is through to the final 6!!!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 13th July 2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 13th July 2022, 05:24 PM   #2743
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

According to Thomas Corbett-Dillon a "former Johnson adviser" on Tucker Carlson's show on Fox. If only Boris hadn't fallen into a woke globalist elite trap, he could have been more like Trump. And now the UK is vulnerable to 'leftists'.

Video in link

https://twitter.com/supertanskiii/st...71380422774785

If I send Boris a tweet with a recipe for a cake in it can I claim to be an 'advisor'?
I like how Tucker Carlson can keep his concerned look on his face and not burst out laughing.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 06:44 PM   #2744
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Anyone for Tugendhat?
As one of his constituents, I would describe him (if I were being charitable) as ineffectual, and somewhat...absent.

My assumption, when he announced his candicacy, was that he as trying to raise his profile in order to get a cabinet position from whoever won. The biggest thing in his favour may well be that (never having held a ministerial post) he hasn't been tainted by close association with any of the recent shitshows. I am mildly surprised that he got through the first vote.

However, it should be noted that it would be hard to describe his voting record as in any way progressive, or foward thinking, or anything other than bog-standard controlling tory crap

Last edited by junkshop; 13th July 2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Clarification
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 11:02 PM   #2745
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by junkshop View Post
As one of his constituents, I would describe him (if I were being charitable) as ineffectual, and somewhat...absent.

My assumption, when he announced his candicacy, was that he as trying to raise his profile in order to get a cabinet position from whoever won. The biggest thing in his favour may well be that (never having held a ministerial post) he hasn't been tainted by close association with any of the recent shitshows. I am mildly surprised that he got through the first vote.

However, it should be noted that it would be hard to describe his voting record as in any way progressive, or foward thinking, or anything other than bog-standard controlling tory crap
That's the thing, he makes the right noises, and has done for ages but doesn't back it up with voting against the government where he criticises it.

Old 14th July 2022, 03:26 AM   #2746
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Why do so many senior politicians apparently not understand how our representative system works? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2122959.html

If it was only Dorries who made claims about the 14 million vote mandate for BlowJob one could put it down to her general lack of brain cells, but other folk who aren't so obvioulsy lacking in the brain cell department do it.

Is it some form of of Joe Morgue's "proudly wrong" idea? Or do they assume that the British (especially English) voters are that stupid?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 03:53 AM   #2747
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

So, Truss, apparently, has a record of delivery and yet, at the same time, was part of several governments whose "business as usual economic management...has delivered low growth for decades".

Which bit of what she claims are we to believe? Or is delivering low economic growth what she's proud of? Can't see much else she's achieved...
Old 14th July 2022, 03:57 AM   #2748
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Why do so many senior politicians apparently not understand how our representative system works? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b2122959.html

If it was only Dorries who made claims about the 14 million vote mandate for BlowJob one could put it down to her general lack of brain cells, but other folk who aren't so obvioulsy lacking in the brain cell department do it.

Is it some form of of Joe Morgue's "proudly wrong" idea? Or do they assume that the British (especially English) voters are that stupid?
Well, 14 million of them did vote for the Tories/Johnson, and 17 million voted for Brexit.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 04:00 AM   #2749
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Suella Braverman MP tweeted

Quote:
@SuellaBraverman
I'm the only candidate who can stop the small boats crossing the channel because I'm the only one who knows we need to leave the ECHR. The British people won't forgive us unless we address this issue.
Video in link

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/...16107518509057
Old 14th July 2022, 06:39 AM   #2750
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Braverman's claim that she can stop the immigrants in small boats crossing the channel, by getting the UK out of the ECHR, is rather odd. I do not believe that will deter a single immigrant from using that method to access the UK.
Old 14th July 2022, 06:51 AM   #2751
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Braverman's claim that she can stop the immigrants in small boats crossing the channel, by getting the UK out of the ECHR, is rather odd. I do not believe that will deter a single immigrant from using that method to access the UK.
Maybe she simply wants to sink the boats in The Channel and/or ship any asylum seekers into international waters and abandon them.

Perhaps she wants to do away with the concept of refugees and asylum seekers altogether. If arrive at the border or you're in the country without the necessary leave to remain then you are simply deported to your point of origin or dumped in international waters. Once you're completely free from those pesky human rights, your list of options gets longer.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 06:53 AM   #2752
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Can I laugh at Javid not getting enough nominations?

Too late: I am laughing a lot.
The voters said, 'Enough is enough'.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 06:58 AM   #2753
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

AIUI he was something to do with intelligence.

(Having any of that would rule him out, I guess.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01lz1hw.jpg (69.4 KB, 8 views)

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 07:08 AM   #2754
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Braverman is knocked out. Sunak extends his lead.

If he gets in he will be the second UK PM to have a criminal conviction, BJ being the first.
Old 14th July 2022, 07:17 AM   #2755
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It's not just Braverman, Penny Mordaunt is prattling on about 'illegal immigrants'. However, it is already easy to get rid of people who have arrived illegally. Asylum seekers cannot be labelled 'illegal immigrants' as they have the full force of international law behind them, which protects people who are fleeing war or other intolerable situations, such as slavery. Simply trafficking them off to a country across the world against their will is going back to the 18th century practice of transportation of petty criminals to Australia for life.

I am sure the candidates fully understand this, which is why they prefer to use the term 'illegal immigrant'.

One thing asylums seekers have over some of the cabinet is that you can't call them 'economic migrants'. IOW it is not the ECHR protecting them. It serves more as an appeal court because an applicant has to show they have exhausted all domestic avenues first before applying to Strasburg. In addition, it can take literally years. So, one judge sitting in an emergency session at the ECHR and issuing an emergency stay of execution isn't actually interfering in UK law, as the Home Office should have applied its own parallel UK law HRA 1998 and allowed (a) a hearing for the individual to present his or her case and (b) the right to appeal a deportation decision.

Presumably the candidates also want to get rid of the police as the police stops them from breaking the law.

Old 14th July 2022, 07:22 AM   #2756
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Braverman is knocked out. Sunak extends his lead.

If he gets in he will be the second UK PM to have a criminal conviction, BJ being the first.
Yay, where's the bubbly?

Apparently Ress-Mogg and Dorries are spinning a conspiracy theory that Dominic Cummings is the eminence gris behind Sunak's 'treacherous' campaign against their beloved Boris.

Last edited by Vixen; 14th July 2022 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Edit - old article of 2017 deleted
Old 14th July 2022, 07:25 AM   #2757
ohms
Graduate Poster

Braverman is out of the running after the latest voting round.

A masochistic part of me would have liked to see Dorries run and win just to see how bad things could possibly get
Old 14th July 2022, 09:41 AM   #2758
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Mordaunt now warm fave at 8/13

Sunak 10/3

Truss 4/1

The rest nowhere.
Old 14th July 2022, 09:43 AM   #2759
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Mordaunt now warm fave at 8/13

Sunak 10/3

Truss 4/1

The rest nowhere.
Which was similar to the view at the start

Old 14th July 2022, 09:55 AM   #2760
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Maybe she thinks that by the time they've finished slashing our rights, standard of living & food standards, desperate people living in Middle Eastern war zones or psychopathic dictatorships will look around and think "Maybe I'll stay here, at least the weather's nice".

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills

Last edited by P.J. Denyer; 14th July 2022 at 09:56 AM.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics