IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 15th July 2022, 01:44 PM   #2801
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY!
Interesting parrelel in US History: Warren G Harding was completly unknown outside of Ohio before he got the GOP Presendital Nod in 1920. He got it because the convention was deadlocked over the other, front running, candidates.
And, of course, he became one of the worst presidents in US History.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2022, 02:23 PM   #2802
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Interesting parrelel in US History: Warren G Harding was completly unknown outside of Ohio before he got the GOP Presendital Nod in 1920. He got it because the convention was deadlocked over the other, front running, candidates.
And, of course, he became one of the worst presidents in US History.
From elsewhere - "Masterful promotion of conservatism by the tories really.
7 minorities and women candidates yet the middle aged cis het white man is the only one you’d piss on if they were on fire." Also he's one who's got almost no chance.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2022, 02:32 PM   #2803
shuttlt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
From elsewhere - "Masterful promotion of conservatism by the tories really.
7 minorities and women candidates yet the middle aged cis het white man is the only one you’d piss on if they were on fire." Also he's one who's got almost no chance.
The Tory's aren't a conservative party.
shuttlt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2022, 03:51 PM   #2804
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Of the TV debate, Crace says -

" “I’ve delivered the impossible,” said Truss, blinking rapidly and sounding like a superannuated 1980s Amstrad computer. As AI goes, Liz makes the Maybot look human. At least Theresa May was vaguely aware there was a reality from which she was detached. Truss is just some free floating atoms in search of a personality and ideas. Virtually nothing she said made any sense. And if it did, it was entirely accidental. She is everyone’s preferred comedy candidate."

**giggle** Gotta love Crace and Hyde
Old 15th July 2022, 06:05 PM   #2805
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This is getting to be like a Monty Python skit.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2022, 06:22 PM   #2806
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Crace lays the boot in and then the stilleto and torches the remains - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ll-the-convict

Roll on Marina Hyde tomorrow!
I watched some of those speeches. The candidates were all saying what a mess the Tory party had been for the last decade and that they would do better. Shouldn't they be saying they should all resign?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th July 2022, 11:15 PM   #2807
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
I watched some of those speeches. The candidates were all saying what a mess the Tory party had been for the last decade and that they would do better. Shouldn't they be saying they should all resign?
It's worked for the last 10 years or so, each successive government blames the current shambles on the last one and they are so bland and unrecognisable that the majority of the British public don't realise that they're exactly the same people.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 02:25 AM   #2808
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It's worked for the last 10 years or so, each successive government blames the current shambles on the last one and they are so bland and unrecognisable that the majority of the British public don't realise that they're exactly the same people.

I thought they were still blaming Labour.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 02:46 AM   #2809
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This part of Mark Thomas' acceptance speech for an honorary doctorate at Kent is quite something!

Video in link

https://twitter.com/KentBylines/stat...01133678841857

Full speech from 1 hour 14 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uARb...iversityofKent

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th July 2022 at 02:48 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 03:29 AM   #2810
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Last night, a candidate didn't say that she isn’t a trained or paid reservist, she’s never qualified or been commissioned as an officer or that how she has presented herself, and how she has allowed herself to be presented, have been misleading.

Another candidate should have said he wasn't actually Laurence of Arabia.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th July 2022 at 03:34 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 04:52 AM   #2811
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Last night, a candidate didn't say that she isn’t a trained or paid reservist, she’s never qualified or been commissioned as an officer or that how she has presented herself, and how she has allowed herself to be presented, have been misleading.

Another candidate should have said he wasn't actually Laurence of Arabia.
According to her wikipedia entry:

Quote:
Mordaunt was a member of the Royal Naval Reserve from 2010 until 2019.[79] From 2010 until 2015, she served as an acting sub-lieutenant, at shore establishment HMS King Alfred on Whale Island, Portsmouth.[80][81] In May 2015 she was placed onto Reserve 'List 6',[82] a category for personnel unable to meet their training commitment for more than a year.[83] She remained on List 6 until April 2019, at which point she left the Reserve.[84] She was made an honorary commander in April 2019,[85] and an honorary captain on 30 June 2021.[86]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt

One weird detail that caught my eye, her 'claim to fame' is:

Quote:
Through her mother she is a relative of Philip Snowden, the first Labour Chancellor of the Exchequer.[7] The actress Dame Angela Lansbury is her grandmother's cousin,[8][9] and she is thus distantly related to the former Labour leader George Lansbury.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 05:09 AM   #2812
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

From the various clips I've seen - admittedly I haven't seen the entire debate - if I were a Conservative MP or party member I would back Liz Truss. I hate that she seems to be a bit of a fashion victim but I couldn't warm to all the brinkmanship and trampling over of bodies of the other candidates.

A friend sent me a pointed WhatsApp message, 'Rikki [sic] didn't waste much time', and 'Tricky Rikki [sic] was a slick operation'.

Although I like Sunak in some ways, my problem with him is his over-egging the affability card. Plus he is one of these nouveau riche types whose families think they can simply buy their way into the establishment. 'Nouveau-richey Rishi'.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 05:45 AM   #2813
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The Labour Party should send Boris a thank you card for destroying the Conservative Party.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 07:58 AM   #2814
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Johnson skips another COBRA meeting

of course he does
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 08:19 AM   #2815
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post

Marina Hyde, over two years ago:

Quote:
The thing about Johnson is that he desperately wanted to become prime minister, and he desperately wanted to have been prime minister. It’s just the bit in between he struggles with.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 08:31 AM   #2816
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Trouble is he wants to have been prime minister for a long time
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 09:26 AM   #2817
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Well, there is a party to be had, so what does anyone expect from a Buller Boy?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 11:48 AM   #2818
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Truss the fashion victim:

https://twitter.com/jbdunster/status...396416/photo/1
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th July 2022, 12:25 PM   #2819
wobs
Master Poster

This part of Mark Thomas' acceptance speech for an honorary doctorate at Kent is quite something!

Video in link

https://twitter.com/KentBylines/stat...01133678841857

Full speech from 1 hour 14 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uARb...iversityofKent
He gave me covid a few weeks ago, when he came to Hull. Good speech though.
Old 16th July 2022, 12:55 PM   #2820
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pictures of Penny Mordaunt going around wearing Dolphins.

She has never done the escape tower at HMS Dolphin and was never on a submarine.

She isn't entitled.

I did the escape tower so I could take part in an exercise in the Orkneys where I had to do a job on HMS Otter for a week. I could have worn Dolphins if I wanted but didn't feel I was entitled.
Old 16th July 2022, 01:21 PM   #2821
Wudang
BOFH

Seems Struss dressed up like Thatcher. Anyone else thinking of Norman Bates other clothing?
Old 16th July 2022, 01:26 PM   #2822
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
He gave me covid a few weeks ago, when he came to Hull. Good speech though.
He personally gave you Covid?

I went to see him when he recorded his show in Whitby.
Old 17th July 2022, 12:56 AM   #2823
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

She has never done the escape tower at HMS Dolphin and was never on a submarine.

She isn't entitled.

I did the escape tower so I could take part in an exercise in the Orkneys where I had to do a job on HMS Otter for a week. I could have worn Dolphins if I wanted but didn't feel I was entitled.
I did the ten yards swimming certificate aged 11 and I don't wear dolphins.

But all credit to her, Morbid did warn us all of the 76 million Turks on their way to freeload, so disaster averted.

Old 17th July 2022, 01:40 AM   #2824
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

She isn't entitled.

As someone said on Twitter, they aren't dolphins, they're not fit for porpoise.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 06:30 AM   #2825
Garrison
Philosopher

Sunak once again promising to get rid of EU red tape, which begs the question what were the government doing since Brexit went into effect? Why haven't they already carried out this apparently vital work?
Old 17th July 2022, 06:37 AM   #2826
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Sunak once again promising to get rid of EU red tape, which begs the question what were the government doing since Brexit went into effect? Why haven't they already carried out this apparently vital work?
Labour's fault.
Old 17th July 2022, 07:41 AM   #2827
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably that's the same red tape that allows us to trade with the EU. Get rid of that and the delays exiting the UK at Dover are suddenly and miraculously solved.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 08:13 AM   #2828
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Quite seriously - I heard a good one during the week when walking the dog, apparently the lockdowns were Labour's fault, they should have voted against the government!
Old 17th July 2022, 08:32 AM   #2829
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Quite seriously - I heard a good one during the week when walking the dog, apparently the lockdowns were Labour's fault, they should have voted against the government!

You need to get a more intelligent dog.

Old 17th July 2022, 08:35 AM   #2830
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Building more houses is “Stalinist” apparently.
Old 17th July 2022, 08:48 AM   #2831
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Building more houses is “Stalinist” apparently.

Of course it is, sufficient affordable housing would depress house prices and upset the Daily Wail. We need a large homeless population pour encourager les autres, just as we need the threat of unemployment to force people into the gig economy.

Old 17th July 2022, 09:18 AM   #2832
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I am not sure Liz Truss has quite got the hang of jack boot Nazism. She plans to send asylum seekers to Spain and Turkey, as well as Rwanda.

Can you imagine the 'fury' of the DAILY EXPRESS and the Brexiteers when they discover all the sun beds in that Black Sea resort or Marbella have been taken by early rising immigrants...

They'll be choking on their cornflakes.

Old 17th July 2022, 09:46 AM   #2833
KDLarsen
Illuminator

IIRC both Frost and Reese-Mogg had to go around to the Scum readers to try and come up with laws to repeal. Apparently all the latter ever managed was to come up with an idea to create a website displaying which laws they had managed to uncover and repeal.

And of course there's this from Bloomberg:
Quote:
Documents seen by Bloomberg show that a senior Treasury official working for Sunak when he was still Chancellor of the Exchequer privately demanded that EU-derived tax laws be exempted from legislation to scrap so-called retained EU law, or REUL.

Lucy Frazer, the financial secretary to the Treasury, said in a letter that it was not feasible to simply rip up EU laws that had been integral to British tax policy and case law for four decades. She argued that the Treasury should take charge of more carefully repealing the laws during future finance bills to prevent the government from becoming mired in litigation. She also suggested it would not be possible to sunset retained EU law by 2026.
Bloomberg: Sunak’s promise on EU law defies advice of his treasury team
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 10:00 AM   #2834
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
IIRC both Frost and Reese-Mogg had to go around to the Scum readers to try and come up with laws to repeal. Apparently all the latter ever managed was to come up with an idea to create a website displaying which laws they had managed to uncover and repeal.

And of course there's this from Bloomberg:

Bloomberg: Sunak’s promise on EU law defies advice of his treasury team
The current UK law 'captures' EU law but allows future divergence. No need to do anything else.

Would be interesting how much UK law has been created to replace the EU laws we helped craft.

Last edited by Lothian; 17th July 2022 at 10:01 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 10:09 AM   #2835
Carrot Flower King
Master Poster

Having just listened to File on 4 on Radio 4 about sexual assaults by unregulated (yes, I know, none of them are regulated) massage "therapists", one can certainly make an argument for more red tape...

Not to mention having some regulations on the behaviour of politicians along the lines of the professional regulation a mere nurse like me had.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 10:16 AM   #2836
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
The current UK law 'captures' EU law but allows future divergence. No need to do anything else.

Would be interesting how much UK law has been created to replace the EU laws we helped craft.
Good point. People tend to forget, when talking about the EU, that actually, the UK was a key player in EU decision-making. The UK wasn't just passively having EU laws foisted on it.

Interesting to see Tom Tugendhat says he wouldn't get rid of the ECHR affiliation. Now that is true 'common sense'.

Old 17th July 2022, 12:23 PM   #2837
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Admiral Mordaunt queries why Rishi Sunak has not pledged to increase defence spending in line with commitments in the Tory manifesto and to Nato.

Sunak says he won't fund defence based on "arbitrary targets" but on a "threat-based approach".

Whatever that means.
Old 17th July 2022, 01:03 PM   #2838
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Admiral Mordaunt queries why Rishi Sunak has not pledged to increase defence spending in line with commitments in the Tory manifesto and to Nato.

Sunak says he won't fund defence based on "arbitrary targets" but on a "threat-based approach".

Whatever that means.
It means it depends on what polls best with the focus groups of Tory voters.
Old 17th July 2022, 01:46 PM   #2839
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
According to her wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Mordaunt

One weird detail that caught my eye, her 'claim to fame' is:
Dilution makes the fame stronger.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th July 2022, 02:05 PM   #2840
Garrison
Philosopher

It means it depends on what polls best with the focus groups of Tory voters.
Well if you mean the membership of the Tory party then being less brown than Sunak polls pretty well.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics