IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: The raid was...
Absolutely a good thing - no question 127 77.44%
An outrage, a travesty - what about Magna Carta? Did she die in vain? 4 2.44%
I'll wait before I make a judgement thank you. 27 16.46%
Mar-X-Lago! 6 3.66%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th August 2022, 01:19 PM   #601
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
I just got back and I don't know if this has been made available yet, but here is a link to the warrant from CNN:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...ch-warrant.pdf
Old 12th August 2022, 01:21 PM   #602
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The idiotic governor of my state is generally seen as the clear front runner for the 2024 Republican Nomination if Trump doesn't get it.
Cheers, I wondered but the trouble is "idiotic governor" meant that I wasn't sure if it was actually reporting something that was*literally* true, not just metaphorically true.

Basically, I have lost the ability to distinguish between bizarro world, satire and reality. It just seems a strange fever dream.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 12th August 2022 at 01:25 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:23 PM   #603
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Basically, I have lost the ability to distinguish between bizarro world, satire and reality. It just seems a strange fever dream.
Dude don't worry, we're all there. I get my post office to send my mail to "Strange Fever Dream" to save time.
Old 12th August 2022, 01:25 PM   #604
shemp

Just get your mail sent to "Planet X" and we'll sort it out for you.
Old 12th August 2022, 01:32 PM   #605
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From a Twitter DM group

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:34 PM   #606
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So I guess Trump is no longer going to go with the "Stuff was planted by the FBI!!" then?
Old 12th August 2022, 01:36 PM   #607
shemp

Are you kidding? That's too big, his dick and balls would slip right out of that!
Old 12th August 2022, 01:36 PM   #608
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
So I guess Trump is no longer going to go with the "Stuff was planted by the FBI!!" then?
No much in the same way COVID was a Chinese Bio-Weapon but also didn't exist and the President controls the price of gas when it goes up but not when it goes down they'll just maintain both narratives.

The stuff was planted but also wasn't but also wasn't a big deal but also...
Old 12th August 2022, 01:39 PM   #609
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"The absolute funniest thing Trump could do right now is die." - Seen on Twitter
Old 12th August 2022, 01:39 PM   #610
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The wheel's still spinning, let's see if it comes up as an excuse again.

It's not like him saying he had already declassified whatever it was they may have planted during the raid would come off as a contradiction to anyone who bothers to listen to him anyway.
Old 12th August 2022, 01:43 PM   #611
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Him and Frank Dux are probably big fans of each other.
They were tag-team partners in the partners division of Kumite....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:45 PM   #612
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Qué?
De Santis of Florida is widely seen as being the main alternastive to Trump for the GOP in 2024.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:45 PM   #613
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This thread seems to be vacant of Trump supporters for some reason....

Warp12? Zig? Prestige?

What's up with that?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:45 PM   #614
Wudang
BOFH

Interesting article about the serious consequences of SIGINT material was involved.
https://www.stonekettle.com/2022/08/...ink-ships.html
Old 12th August 2022, 01:46 PM   #615
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

Warp12? Zig? Prestige?

What's up with that?
Well one of them is still in time out and the other two haven't been told what to think yet.

We NEVER have Trumpers for like the first... 12 hours or so. Orders from the top have to come down as to what the story is.
Old 12th August 2022, 01:48 PM   #616
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post

Warp12? Zig? Prestige?

What's up with that?
Warp12 is suspended until the 18th

The other two know they have no way to credibly spin what has been happening.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 01:48 PM   #617
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Well one of them is still in time out and the other two haven't been told what to think yet.

We NEVER have Trumpers for like the first... 12 hours or so. Orders from the top have to come down as to what the story is.
Right. I think once Trump's bluffs were called, they lost all control of their fabricated narrative.
Old 12th August 2022, 01:53 PM   #618
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Warp12 is suspended until the 18th

The other two know they have no way to credibly spin what has been happening.
They might be planning on defecting to De Santis.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:00 PM   #619
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I just got back and I don't know if this has been made available yet, but here is a link to the warrant from CNN:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documen...ch-warrant.pdf
Page 6: "2A - Various classified/TS/SCI documents"

TS = Top Secret of course, but SCI... that's Sensitive Compartmented Information, the highest level of security. Being in possession of this stuff is a criminal offense....

18 USC § 2071 - Concealment, removal, or mutilation generally

a) Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

(b) Whoever, having the custody of any such record, proceeding, map, book, document, paper, or other thing, willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, falsifies, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; and shall forfeit his office and be disqualified from holding any office under the United States. As used in this subsection, the term “office” does not include the office held by any person as a retired officer of the Armed Forces of the United States.

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th August 2022 at 02:01 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:04 PM   #620
catsmate
No longer the 1

Where are the forum's resident Trumpettes and apologists? Rather quiet.....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:05 PM   #621
Wudang
BOFH

Potential violations of the Espionage Act
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...tions-00051507
Old 12th August 2022, 02:06 PM   #622
shemp

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Interesting article about the serious consequences of SIGINT material was involved.
Everybody here should read this.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:07 PM   #623
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I refer my learned colleague to the answer given in post 622 above.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:08 PM   #624
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Kevin McCarthy:
“Why wouldn’t they just ask the president if they had something there that they want? He surely would have provided it to them. Why did they have to show up in the manner that they did?”

It must be easy to be a Republican. You start with the assumption that your electorate either is pig ignorant or is willing to reshape reality to maintain their beliefs. You never have to use facts or evidence. You never have to avoid logical fallacies. You never have to construct cogent arguments.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:09 PM   #625
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
TS = Top Secret of course, but SCI... that's Sensitive Compartmented Information, the highest level of security. Being in possession of this stuff is a criminal offense....

shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
There had been some confusion about this earlier in the thread, but the addition of SCI does raise the bar to the point that preclusion from holding office kicks in. I am not a lawyer, but I also think this violation would be considered well settled law (as opposed the Presidential Records Act which is not so well tested).
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:11 PM   #626
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Apparently they writers of their narrative haven't come up with something for the current slew of facts.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:12 PM   #627
shemp

My dream: That he was selling nuclear secrets to the Saudis. Can they still hang people for this?
Old 12th August 2022, 02:17 PM   #628
azazal
Ninja Wave: Techno Ninja

Talking

My dream: That he was selling nuclear secrets to the Saudis. Can they still hang people for this?
If only...

Sung to the tune of It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas - It's beginning to look a lot like Gitmo
Old 12th August 2022, 02:31 PM   #629
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Yeah, I agree 100%.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:33 PM   #630
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Beheading might be considered more appropriate...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:38 PM   #631
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Beheading might be considered more appropriate...
Hmm. How long would it take for him to notice?
Old 12th August 2022, 02:39 PM   #632
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

"Interesting" does not suffice... I consider that to be "fascinating"!
Old 12th August 2022, 02:43 PM   #633
stanfr
Master Poster

"The absolute funniest thing Trump could do right now is die." - Seen on Twitter
Oh no...we would have to start an entire new forum just to handle all the CTs...
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:44 PM   #634
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Kevin McCarthy:
“Why wouldn’t they just ask the president if they had something there that they want? He surely would have provided it to them. Why did they have to show up in the manner that they did?”

It must be easy to be a Republican. You start with the assumption that your electorate either is pig ignorant or is willing to reshape reality to maintain their beliefs. You never have to use facts or evidence. You never have to avoid logical fallacies. You never have to construct cogent arguments.
Nothing good comes out of Bakersfield. Nothing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:46 PM   #635
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The Possible Espionage act violations means the nickname :"Benedict Donald" is more fitting then every.
Mind boggling. I'm investing in popcorn futures.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:47 PM   #636
catsmate
No longer the 1

No, lethal injection. With dodgy drugs usually. However the spoilsport Attorney General Merrick Garland imposed a moratorium on Federal executions. Unlike Trump, who had thirteen people killed to boost his approvals.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:52 PM   #637
Wudang
BOFH

I've lost count of how many twitter accounts I follow that have said the same.
Old 12th August 2022, 02:59 PM   #638
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

So how hard will it be to find 12 people (and alternates) to serve on a jury without having at least one or two engaging in jury nullification?

The prosecutors might have settle for a minimum felony sentencing in order to get a plea deal.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 02:59 PM   #639
welshdean
Michael McDonald 1967 - 2021

Hmm. How long would it take for him to notice?
As soon as he couldn't find the cheeseburger hole.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2022, 03:18 PM   #640
ZiprHead
Muse

Reality Winner got five years for one document. How many years can you get for hundreds?

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics