IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 10:31 AM   #961
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The best and the brightest? Not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The tee-er-rashiest.jpg (126.8 KB, 23 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 11:40 AM   #962
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Sarah Palin et famille have been supplanted as GOP Trashiest Couple.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th August 2022, 11:59 AM   #963
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ehh, that's a title that I would think that there's just too many contenders to select one. That probably shouldn't be surprising, though, given that the current Republican party is pretty much being run as a political crime family.
Old 14th August 2022, 04:22 AM   #964
Donal
Philosopher

I dunno, they built quite a legacy. Are you including baby daddies or just people with the last name Palin?
Old 14th August 2022, 12:53 PM   #965
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I dunno, they built quite a legacy. Are you including baby daddies or just people with the last name Palin?
Definitely including baby daddies!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 05:53 AM   #966
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The best and the brightest? Not.
When you are grading on enough of a curve they might be. These are the best and brightest MAGA has to offer.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 05:12 PM   #967
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I might have missed it, but has anyone else mentioned the latest Ted Cruz nonsense, this time about Whether Elizabeth Warren has a penis?

Class act, classy audience too.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 11:54 PM   #968
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I might have missed it, but has anyone else mentioned the latest Ted Cruz nonsense, this time about Whether Elizabeth Warren has a penis?

Ted Cruz is typical of today's GOP: Nothing is too low, too disgusting, too crazy, too sick as long as it gets attention. That TX keeps electing such a loathsome POS is enough reason for me never to set foot there.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:59 AM   #969
Donal
Philosopher

Definitely including baby daddies!
Then Bobert has quite a way to go before she is anything more than a clearance rack Palin.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:35 AM   #970
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

What a dick!
Old 16th August 2022, 10:11 AM   #971
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What a dick!
For people that claim those on the left are perverts for attempts at inclusion, they seem inordinately obsessed with strangers' private parts.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 12:32 PM   #972
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Arizona Republican Secretary of State nominee kept 'Treason Watch List' and posted about stockpiling ammunition on Pinterest

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/polit...est/index.html
Old 19th August 2022, 07:18 AM   #973
Aridas

This is not immediate stupidity from a particular politician, but rather some fallout from mass stupidity/evil.

‘Mind-blowing what they tried to convince us of’: Florida teachers on new, ‘very skewed’ curriculum

Really short version? White supremacist lite apologism, by the look of it. Can't let white kids be exposed to most US History where white people collectively wronged everyone else in so many ways. DeSantis Republican fascism at work, with a cooperative side of Christian Nationalist revisionism.
Old 19th August 2022, 01:55 PM   #974
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
This is not immediate stupidity from a particular politician, but rather some fallout from mass stupidity/evil.

‘Mind-blowing what they tried to convince us of’: Florida teachers on new, ‘very skewed’ curriculum

Really short version? White supremacist lite apologism, by the look of it. Can't let white kids be exposed to most US History where white people collectively wronged everyone else in so many ways. DeSantis Republican fascism at work, with a cooperative side of Christian Nationalist revisionism.
Apparently, they entirely skip Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow laws and "skip right to the Civil Rights Movement".
Holy crap. History a la the GOP.
Old 20th August 2022, 07:23 AM   #975
Disbelief
Illuminator

More from the party of law and order.

https://news.yahoo.com/body-bag-sara...132727227.html

Quote:
A Sarasota candidate for Congress says he would have killed the FBI agents who searched former President Donald Trump's property if they tried to do the same thing to his home.

"I wish they'd turn up at my home 'cause they'd have gone home in a body bag," Sarasota businessman Martin Hyde says in a new video.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 09:04 AM   #976
slyjoe
Illuminator

But wait, there's more!

Quote:
Luis Miguel, who's running in Florida's House District 20, said on Twitter that under his plan, federal agents could be shot on sight in the state. He told the website Florida Politics that Twitter had notified him that his account had been permanently suspended, which he later confirmed to NBC News on Friday.

A Twitter spokesperson said the account is permanently suspended for violating the company's hateful conduct policy.

Miguel confirmed to NBC News that his tweet on Thursday said: “Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!”
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...gent-rcna44020
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 09:15 AM   #977
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
It's no surprise that the age of BS has led to the age of idiots. I can't wait to see what comes next.
Old 20th August 2022, 12:04 PM   #978
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
More from the party of law and order.

https://news.yahoo.com/body-bag-sara...132727227.html
The GOP has gone crazy.

These are all from one Trump speech. How times have changed:

Speech: Donald Trump Holds a Campaign Rally in Rochester, Minnesota - October 30, 2020

"Biden and the far left incite violence with their vile anti-Police rhetoric"

"In a second term, we will increase funding for law enforcement."

"With your support, we will continue to... support our great police"

"Biden and the left wing Democrats treat law enforcement like criminals"

"These wealthy liberal hypocrites want to defund the police"
Old 20th August 2022, 01:33 PM   #979
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

But wait, there's more!

Originally Posted by raving idiot
Miguel confirmed to NBC News that his tweet on Thursday said: “Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!”
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...gent-rcna44020
This begs a simple question: How are all these "bad guys" going to be identified as "bad guys" "on sight"? By the tattoos on their foreheads? Their Star Trek red shirts? Or is this proposal simply to gun down anyone this idiot even suspects of being "a Fed" just in case they are, and then "let God sort them out"?

It's raging gun-nuttery plus complete paranoia plus raging hysterical lunacy. A Perfect recipe for policing safe streets in Florida.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2022, 01:49 PM   #980
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
This begs a simple question: How are all these "bad guys" going to be identified as "bad guys" "on sight"? By the tattoos on their foreheads? Their Star Trek red shirts? Or is this proposal simply to gun down anyone this idiot even suspects of being "a Fed" just in case they are, and then "let God sort them out"?

It's raging gun-nuttery plus complete paranoia plus raging hysterical lunacy. A Perfect recipe for policing safe streets in Florida.

The 'good guys' will be wearing MAGA hats, Silly!
Old 20th August 2022, 01:56 PM   #981
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The 'good guys' will be wearing MAGA hats, Silly!
That certainly creates a target-rich environment...

It also means I will NEVER get to see Cape Canaveral or Miami's Art Deco scene.

Welcome to Florida! The tourist-friendly state! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 12:42 AM   #982
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
It's no surprise that the age of BS has led to the age of idiots. I can't wait to see what comes next.
……
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st August 2022, 05:02 AM   #983
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Those apes couldn't do any worse than these ones.
Old 21st August 2022, 06:24 PM   #984
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That certainly creates a target-rich environment...

It also means I will NEVER get to see Cape Canaveral or Miami's Art Deco scene.

Welcome to Florida! The tourist-friendly state! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!
An upside of climate change is that a whole lot of Florida is going to be underwater before too long.
Old 21st August 2022, 06:26 PM   #985
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
An upside of climate change is that a whole lot of Florida is going to be underwater before too long.
That will just push them north. Who wants that?
Old 21st August 2022, 07:30 PM   #986
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
It can't come soon enough.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:21 AM   #987
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Does his plan also apply to FEMA agents? Coast Guard? Army Corps of Engineers? Looks like it to me. Good luck dealing with hurricanes all by yourself, Florida!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:26 AM   #988
Donal
Philosopher

Are these the "kitchen table" issues Democrats are supposed to be losing on?
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:33 AM   #989
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

More wisdom from aspiring senator H. Walker:
Quote:
“They continue to try to fool you that they are helping you out. But they’re not,” Walker said. “Because a lot of money, it’s going to trees. Don’t we have enough trees around here?”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...eorgia-senate/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 11:39 AM   #990
Donal
Philosopher

He will still get at least 45% of the vote. What really saddens me is even Mitch McConnell is open about what a garbage crop of candidates the GQP is running, but even then, there's a good chance they can retake the Senate. Hell, JD Vance will likely win Ohio. What is wrong with the Democrats?
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:12 PM   #991
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
He will still get at least 45% of the vote. What really saddens me is even Mitch McConnell is open about what a garbage crop of candidates the GQP is running, but even then, there's a good chance they can retake the Senate. Hell, JD Vance will likely win Ohio. What is wrong with the Democrats?
I think the better question is "What is wrong with the Republicans"? Nothing a Democrat could say or do would sway the vote of an idiot who would vote for Walker or Vance.
Old 22nd August 2022, 12:14 PM   #992
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I think the better question is "What is wrong with the Republicans"? Nothing a Democrat could say or do would sway the vote of an idiot who would vote for Walker or Vance.
I think it might be more a case of who cares if they are an idiot as long as they vote as they are told to. I mean it isn't like legislators are writing laws, that is what lobbyists are for after all.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:04 PM   #993
Aridas

It's an unfortunate situation all around, but it's honestly not the Democratic Party's responsibility (or ability, really) to fix the Republican Party. That HAS to be done by the Republicans, themselves. Just like it's not the Republican Party's responsibility to "fix" the Democratic Party.

Elsewhere, though, for more of what's wrong with the Republican Party, a Oklahoma GOP hopeful who's previously said that it's totally just to stone homosexuals for being homosexuals is still pretty terrible.

Last edited by Aridas; 22nd August 2022 at 10:08 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:56 PM   #994
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's an unfortunate situation all around, but it's honestly not the Democratic Party's responsibility (or ability, really) to fix the Republican Party. That HAS to be done by the Republicans, themselves. Just like it's not the Republican Party's responsibility to "fix" the Democratic Party.
Agreed. Do you think I was saying it was?

Quote:
Elsewhere, though, for more of what's wrong with the Republican Party, a Oklahoma GOP hopeful who's previously said that it's totally just to stone homosexuals for being homosexuals is still pretty terrible.
That's not surprising at all. Sick, disgusting, pathetic and a whole host of other synonyms, but not surprising.
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:04 AM   #995
Aridas

Do you think I was saying it was?
Nope. Just adding to the sentiment.
Old 23rd August 2022, 12:13 AM   #996
Susheel
Illuminator

Haven't we had posters on this forum who suggested that it is all the Democrat's fault that the Republican party is now inundated with "the dumb."
Old 23rd August 2022, 01:58 AM   #997
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. Just adding to the sentiment.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:57 AM   #998
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Haven't we had posters on this forum who suggested that it is all the Democrat's fault that the Republican party is now inundated with "the dumb."
Yes. We've also had a few posters who want to try to convicne everyone how horrible every Democratic candidate is, and then complain that that Dem didn't get a larger share of the vote they told people shouldn't go to that Dem.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:07 AM   #999
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Everything is the Democrat's fault. It's all "Well I would be a decent human being but one time I heard that a Democrat say we need a gender neutral Mr. Potato Head so now I have no choice but to be a Nazi."
Old 23rd August 2022, 06:18 AM   #1000
Donal
Philosopher

Yes, they get their feelings hurt when someone points out problems but blame the person pointing out the problems rather than the problems in the system.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics