IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political parties , reform party

Old 16th August 2022, 06:58 AM   #161
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
And if they were half so demanding of the representatives within their party who actively work against them they wouldn't have as much criticism to object to. The Emperor has no clothes but it's the kid's fault for being so impolite as to point it out.
If you think Dems haven't been critical of Manchin, you have your head in the sand.

If you think Manchin cares what Dems outside of WV want or think, you have your head in the sand.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:09 AM   #162
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It didn't need torture to make it worthless. It was an invalid non-analogous non-analogy from the start.

For one thing, in sports, there's no role within the system for talking about each other (or each other's performance) to play,
Nonsense. Players talk to each other, about each other, and their performances all the time. We know it happens in the locker rooms, and it happens in public interviews as well.

But here's the thing:you and I aren't the players, here. We're the fans. And I keep hearing claims about how you all support one team followed by nothing but attacks on the team that you claim to support. When some guy wearing a Cowboys hat walks into a Steelers Bar and just hates on the team, any claims he makes that no, really, he's a Steelers fan are going to be just as believable as the "vote blue no matter who" claims made by those who can't stop telling people how bad blue is.

but in politics, talking about each other and each other's policies is exactly how the whole thing's supposed to work; it's the whole point. A better analogy for that in basketball would be not players talking but players shooting, passing, blocking, and dribbling.

Also, the way the analogy was given here reverses the positions of the people doing the talking. In real life in the DP, all of the internal attackery is not perpetrated by the few good players and aimed at the majority bad players to tell them to do better. It's coming from the majority bad players and aimed at the few good ones to tell them to do worse. Part of the attack method just happens to also include false accusations that it's going in the opposite direction. Thus, the whole idea of "the only team that can beat the other team" is obvious nonsense because the ones doing the internal attacks on their own team aren't doing anything to beat the other team; they keep throwing the games and then blaming the good players for the sin of actually wanting to win.
Yeah, this thread is full of people saying how bad progressives are, rather than the other way around, isn't it?

(One thing about this analogy that is good is that it brings up the subject of why one team keeps throwing games: because there's an outside person or group of people, not on either team, who pays them to do so.)
Oooh, ooh, tell me this outside group is the Lizardpeople overlords!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:21 AM   #163
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
When something is this obvious, demands for a demonstration aren't being made in good faith.
Don't say something is demonstrable if you can't demonstrate it.

Quote:
Wait, you seriously want to assert that, all evidence to the contrary, Manchin speaks for "possibly" most Democrats? Frankly, that's ludicrous and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of political realities.

Of course you want to ignore the actual way people voted, and pretend that they totally would have voted opposite of what they actually did, all the while blaming everyone else for failing to get Manchin on board rather than blaming Manchin for holding out. Don't blame Manchin or the GOP for being intransigent, blame the Dems for...not having the votes to overcome that intransigence. Because people like you have been shouting to the rooftops about how bad the Dems are so the "meh" voters either stay home, throw away their votes on a third party, or actually vote the GOP in.
People like you have been blaming Manchin from one side of their mouth and defending him with the other. Is he a Dem or not? Do his actions reflect on his party or not? If he personally is to blame, what explains the complete lack of action from Dem leadership to bring him into line? If he is representative of Dems, as "the best we can do from WV I guess," why shouldn't his actions be considered equally representative?

Quote:
And yet, here in reality, that number was actually zero. But don't let that stop you.
The number of passed bills protecting the rights of women, yes. Zero.

Quote:
Look, I myself claim to vote blue no matter who (in the privacy of the voting booth that can't be demonstrated), but how dare you criticise me for spending all my time and energy telling everyone else to not vote blue because they're so corrupt and so what that they all voted yes on abortion rights except Manchin, I'm imagining that they secretly wanted to vote no because they're all so awful!
You're going to need to find a quote where I tell people not to vote Democrat. I'm saying the party hasn't been earning their votes, and as we saw with the rust belt there's only so long you can coast on "slightly better than the alternative" before those votes disappear.

I'm holding out hope for a blue wave in November because the alternative has proven to be much worse than anticipated for most people, but if we get one, those people are going to want action. They're going to want justice. They're going to want protected abortion rights. They're going to want a balanced SCOTUS. If Dems are still in power next year, they're going to need to deliver on those. If all you've got in two years is all you've had here, BS about how one person is to blame and really you're the problem because how dare you accuse Dems of not being able to accomplish anything just because they can't accomplish anything don't you see you're being divisive, those voters will not show up again. They won't need anyone to tell them voting was a waste of their time.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:22 AM   #164
Suddenly
No Punting

No, Dems don't want your soul, and they obviously don't have and aren't going to get your undying allegiance. It's more of a polite request to stop spending so much time helping the side that you yourself say helping is basically treason against humanity.

How much time am I permitted to spend? Is there a schedule? Do I submit a request to the party?

Do I get credit for any outside work, or do we assume that this forum is what matters and is my whole life.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:25 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again why is nobody asking themselves why the Right doesn't have this problem?

And sure you can just shrug and spout off a truism about how it's because they are stupid and can't think for themselves and don't have any morals and all of that is 100% true but where does that get us exactly?
Old 16th August 2022, 07:28 AM   #166
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Kompromat. The whole damn thing is a suicide pact, from top to bottom. One bigass RICO case that's too big to charge because you'd literally have to arrest half of Congress.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:38 AM   #167
Suddenly
No Punting

But here's the thing:you and I aren't the players, here. We're the fans.
If anything, we are the players and they are the ownership. Except we can't retire or quit.

The idea of politics as a spectator sport has caused untold damage and is the dynamic causing Trump in the first place. Horse race journalism that skipped over the fact that Trump was a lying fascist and went straight to whether being a lying fascist would affect his political prospects.

These decisions affect real people. If it was just a matter of fandom and none of this directly affected me I'd never vote for the Democrats for the same reason I ignore the Pirates. I'm not in the business of encouraging incompetents who are taking my support for granted and leveraging same for personal gain.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 07:39 AM   #168
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Kompromat. The whole damn thing is a suicide pact, from top to bottom. One bigass RICO case that's too big to charge because you'd literally have to arrest half of Congress.
Okay, again, where does that live us?

We're basically back to arguing idealism/reality yet again.

If our morals and qualities and standards aren't actually accomplishing anything what's the bloody point?
Old 16th August 2022, 07:55 AM   #169
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Okay, again, where does that live us?

We're basically back to arguing idealism/reality yet again.

If our morals and qualities and standards aren't actually accomplishing anything what's the bloody point?
Gives us a goal, at least. What broke the mob was a crackdown on judiciary corruption and the courage to prosecute. The tools to address the issue were there, as they are today. What was lacking was the will to use them to their fullest. Idealism won out over pragmatism. We need to become willing to arrest half of congress in the pursuit of justice, if that's where it leads. Or even anyone in power at all, Mister Attorney General. Otherwise you're right, what good does it do us to hold the knowledge but lack conviction?
Old 16th August 2022, 08:00 AM   #170
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And we're back to a point I've been making for years.

Basically the American dream right now is a Democratic (Centrist or Progressive literally nobody outside of political fanboys cares) who isn't a pussy.

That's the one thing that Trump always understood on some level, somewhere in that tiny, malformed third testicle he called a brain that America was ripe, literally begging, for a leader who acted like not only they were right, but that it as so obviously that if you disagreed you weren't worth talking to.

Again so nobody has to @ me about something I didn't say yes absolutely every functional way Trump put that into practice was new levels of horrible, but that's the spark he had that go him where it did.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:03 AM   #171
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Don't say something is demonstrable if you can't demonstrate it.
Ok, fine, I'll play your stupid game. Democrats as a party don't want to lose because they all, individually, campaign to actually win office. And once in office, 99% of them work together to win.

I can demonstrate that water is wet for you, next, if you need that as well.

People like you have been blaming Manchin from one side of their mouth and defending him with the other. Is he a Dem or not? Do his actions reflect on his party or not? If he personally is to blame, what explains the complete lack of action from Dem leadership to bring him into line? If he is representative of Dems, as "the best we can do from WV I guess," why shouldn't his actions be considered equally representative?
See, this is the whole bit where you demonstrate complete ignorance of the political realities. Saying that Manchin is a Dem is not "defending him". Saying that when 99% of the party votes one way, but Manchin votes the other, Manchin's actions reflect the party is demonstrably wrong. (Yes, the fact that Manchin's actions are against the rest of the party demonstrates that his actions don't represent the party for those who need it proven that water is wet again).

And we see again and again these claims that "Dem leadership" should "bring him into line", but each and every time the person making that demand hasn't got the foggiest idea how that should be done.

The number of passed bills protecting the rights of women, yes. Zero.
No, the number of Democratic Senators who voted the way you imagine they all wanted to.

You're going to need to find a quote where I tell people not to vote Democrat. I'm saying the party hasn't been earning their votes, and as we saw with the rust belt there's only so long you can coast on "slightly better than the alternative" before those votes disappear.
You certainly make it easy to find a quote of you saying what you went on to say in the very next sentence in that paragraph!

I'm holding out hope for a blue wave in November because the alternative has proven to be much worse than anticipated for most people, but if we get one, those people are going to want action. They're going to want justice. They're going to want protected abortion rights. They're going to want a balanced SCOTUS. If Dems are still in power next year, they're going to need to deliver on those. If all you've got in two years is all you've had here, BS about how one person is to blame and really you're the problem because how dare you accuse Dems of not being able to accomplish anything just because they can't accomplish anything don't you see you're being divisive, those voters will not show up again. They won't need anyone to tell them voting was a waste of their time.
That's nice. How, exactly, are Dems to balance the SCOTUS if they don't have two thirds of both houses of Congress? Oh, right, they can't. But that won't stop the people who are trying to convince everyone to vote GOP (or simply allow the GOP to win by not voting against them) from claiming it proves the Dems didn't want to do it.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:04 AM   #172
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
How much time am I permitted to spend? Is there a schedule? Do I submit a request to the party?

Do I get credit for any outside work, or do we assume that this forum is what matters and is my whole life.
Oh, spend all the time you like. Just don't act like we're all stupid and can't see what you're choosing to spend your time and effort telling people.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:11 AM   #173
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

If anything, we are the players and they are the ownership. Except we can't retire or quit.

The idea of politics as a spectator sport has caused untold damage and is the dynamic causing Trump in the first place. Horse race journalism that skipped over the fact that Trump was a lying fascist and went straight to whether being a lying fascist would affect his political prospects.

These decisions affect real people. If it was just a matter of fandom and none of this directly affected me I'd never vote for the Democrats for the same reason I ignore the Pirates. I'm not in the business of encouraging incompetents who are taking my support for granted and leveraging same for personal gain.
These decisions definitely affect real people. You, individually, are not in a position to make these decisions. You have to pick the person who is going to have the positions closest to yours. And when you do nothing but attack that person because they only want 99% of what you want, then you're working to promote the person who wants 0% of what you want. Because each of us influences those around us, and if your influence is "blues haven't earned my vote" then you've taken some number of votes away from blue and made red more likely to win.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:13 AM   #174
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

This is so much why we need ranked choice voting, it cuts the argument out of all of this.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:44 AM   #175
Suddenly
No Punting

These decisions definitely affect real people. You, individually, are not in a position to make these decisions. You have to pick the person who is going to have the positions closest to yours. And when you do nothing but attack that person because they only want 99% of what you want, then you're working to promote the person who wants 0% of what you want. Because each of us influences those around us, and if your influence is "blues haven't earned my vote" then you've taken some number of votes away from blue and made red more likely to win.
Where has this policy of ruthless triangulation gotten the Democratic Party? An existential battle with Donald Trump. No universal healthcare, a badly fraying safety net, disappearing civil rights, and a court crisis they seem determined to underestimate and ignore.

Good job? The idea that criticizing them is bad because it will make it harder for them to keep up their stellar record of guiding us into the abyss is the Democratic Party strategy in a nutshell.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:50 AM   #176
Suddenly
No Punting

And we see again and again these claims that "Dem leadership" should "bring him into line", but each and every time the person making that demand hasn't got the foggiest idea how that should be done.
Asking for my vote, failing, and then telling me not to whine because I couldn't do any better is not exactly a sign of leadership.

"The buck stops with you unless you tell me how to do my job"
Old 16th August 2022, 08:51 AM   #177
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Where has this policy of ruthless triangulation gotten the Democratic Party? An existential battle with Donald Trump. No universal healthcare, a badly fraying safety net, disappearing civil rights, and a court crisis they seem determined to underestimate and ignore.

Good job? The idea that criticizing them is bad because it will make it harder for them to keep up their stellar record of guiding us into the abyss is the Democratic Party strategy in a nutshell.
Ok, fine, continue in your strident efforts to get the Republican Party into permanent power. I'm sure that will get you universal healthcare, an improved safety net, restored civil rights, and a unified court.

Oh, wait, the Reps that you're assisting are the whole reason we don't have universal healthcare, and are the party working to erode the safety net, destroy our civil rights, and the Reps are the reason we have a Conservative majority on the SC.

So, hey, you're backing the winners here! Too bad you, like most Rep voters, are working against your own self interest as long as you can stick it to those people who only work for 99% of the stuff you want.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:53 AM   #178
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Asking for my vote, failing, and then telling me not to whine because I couldn't do any better is not exactly a sign of leadership.

"The buck stops with you unless you tell me how to do my job"
'You should get Manchin in line!'

'Ok, how?'

'I don't know, it's not my job to wave a magic wand, it's yours!'

'We don't have a magic wand.'

'That's it, you haven't earned my vote! I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue, that'll teach you!'
Old 16th August 2022, 09:05 AM   #179
Suddenly
No Punting

Ok, fine, continue in your strident efforts to get the Republican Party into permanent power. I'm sure that will get you universal healthcare, an improved safety net, restored civil rights, and a unified court.

Oh, wait, the Reps that you're assisting are the whole reason we don't have universal healthcare, and are the party working to erode the safety net, destroy our civil rights, and the Reps are the reason we have a Conservative majority on the SC.
You have this completely backwards. That the Democrats have failed to deliver is the reason we have conservative majorities. They have no path forward to get these things that is rooted in political reality, but somehow I'm the traitor to the cause for pointing this out.
Quote:

So, hey, you're backing the winners here! Too bad you, like most Rep voters, are working against your own self interest as long as you can stick it to those people who only work for 99% of the stuff you want.
You attack the people who at least vote for you by lying about them and insulting them. Somehow they are the ones that are the problem.

If indeed dissent is not tolerated within the Democratic Party, I'm out. At that point there is literally no reason to vote for them.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:13 AM   #180
Suddenly
No Punting

'You should get Manchin in line!'

'Ok, how?'

'I don't know, it's not my job to wave a magic wand, it's yours!'

'We don't have a magic wand.'

'That's it, you haven't earned my vote! I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue, that'll teach you!'
Maybe I should take this tact in my professional life. If something goes bad I can just tell my clients that they couldn't have done any better and tell them not to complain even when they continue to retain my services.

Sounds like a winning plan, really.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:13 AM   #181
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

You have this completely backwards. That the Democrats have failed to deliver is the reason we have conservative majorities. They have no path forward to get these things that is rooted in political reality, but somehow I'm the traitor to the cause for pointing this out.
Nonsense. In many ways even approaching universal healthcare with "Obamacare" and "death panels" was what helped the GOPers to get their majority. Dems are campaigning on strengthening the safety net, Reps are claiming it's a hammock for lazy people.

You attack the people who at least vote for you by lying about them and insulting them. Somehow they are the ones that are the problem.
Wait, who voted for me? Or who did (my Senator) Raphael Warnock lie about and insult that voted for him? You seem to be mixing up a lot of things and thus your claims aren't really coherent here.

If indeed dissent is not tolerated within the Democratic Party, I'm out. At that point there is literally no reason to vote for them.
If you won't put up with me attacking you, then I'm just going to keep attacking you! I'd rather have the GOP completely dismantle democracy than vote Dem! At least they'd let me keep complaining about stuff I don't understand!
Old 16th August 2022, 09:15 AM   #182
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe I should take this tact in my professional life. If something goes bad I can just tell my clients that they couldn't have done any better and tell them not to complain even when they continue to retain my services.

Sounds like a winning plan, really.
Oh, my. I'd love to see you take this tact in real life. Some yahoo who has no clue how things are done tells you that you should just do "x". When you explain that there is literally nothing in your power to do "x", then they get to whine about passing the buck, incompetence, trying to lose, etc. Somehow I don't think you'd agree with that tactic, then.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:21 AM   #183
Suddenly
No Punting

Nonsense. In many ways even approaching universal healthcare with "Obamacare" and "death panels" was what helped the GOPers to get their majority. Dems are campaigning on strengthening the safety net, Reps are claiming it's a hammock for lazy people.
Exactly. They had a massive majority, passed a GOP plan, and still lost their majority. It's a great example of political malpractice.
Quote:

If you won't put up with me attacking you, then I'm just going to keep attacking you! I'd rather have the GOP completely dismantle democracy than vote Dem! At least they'd let me keep complaining about stuff I don't understand!
It's more the lie that I'm voting GOP. If we are policing this board for conduct that makes the Democratic Party look bad, well, demanding purity in thought and deed doesn't seem all that helpful.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:32 AM   #184
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. They had a massive majority, passed a GOP plan, and still lost their majority. It's a great example of political malpractice.
If you're going to claim the the thing the GOP was screaming about "deathpanels" over was a GOP plan, I don't think we live in the same reality.

It's more the lie that I'm voting GOP. If we are policing this board for conduct that makes the Democratic Party look bad, well, demanding purity in thought and deed doesn't seem all that helpful.
You may or may not be voting GOP. We'll never know. All we know is that you're promoting their ideas, and attacking their opponents, usually with unfair demands or claims. Just like the GOP does, actually. 'Joe Biden caused gas prices to go too high, so you shouldn't vote Warnock because defund the police!'
Old 16th August 2022, 09:35 AM   #185
Suddenly
No Punting

When you explain that there is literally nothing in your power to do "x", then they get to whine about passing the buck, incompetence, trying to lose, etc. Somehow I don't think you'd agree with that tactic, then.
If I promised x they'd be within their rights and I'd not respond by demanding their unquestioned loyalty.
Old 16th August 2022, 09:53 AM   #186
Suddenly
No Punting

If you're going to claim the the thing the GOP was screaming about "deathpanels" over was a GOP plan, I don't think we live in the same reality.
I'm saying that not being able to handle something as stupid as the "deathpanels" nonsense is a sign of political incompetence.

They worry about what might happen when they lose power so much that they both don't use political power to the fullest when they do have it, and they haven't figured out that no matter what they do the GOP response is going to be a wave of bad faith BS.
Old 16th August 2022, 10:16 AM   #187
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

If I promised x they'd be within their rights and I'd not respond by demanding their unquestioned loyalty.
Good thing no Democrat has ever claimed they'd force Manchin to vote however they want to, then.

Yet, here we are. Nobody claimed they'd be able to, they have literally no mechanism to do so, but we have yahoos claiming that the fact that they didn't do what they never said they'd do nor have the power to do is evidence that you should let the other team win.

I'm saying that not being able to handle something as stupid as the "deathpanels" nonsense is a sign of political incompetence.

They worry about what might happen when they lose power so much that they both don't use political power to the fullest when they do have it, and they haven't figured out that no matter what they do the GOP response is going to be a wave of bad faith BS.
Well, you have the GOP bad faith BS, and then you have the "progressive" wave of bad faith BS, but sure, blame the people you helped smear for having been smeared.
Old 16th August 2022, 01:53 PM   #188
ahhell
Philosopher

And sure you can just shrug and spout off a truism about how it's because they are stupid and can't think for themselves and don't have any morals and all of that is 100% true but where does that get us exactly?
What problem exactly? Did you miss the last 6 years where they were basically the victims of a hostel take over by a guy that was good buddies the the Clintons 7 years ago? Or the way where they've essentially expelled one of their most conservative members for insufficient revolutionary zeal?

Jonah Goldberg has a line about how both parties are basically competing for permanent minority status.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 06:01 PM   #189
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Can the rest of the Forward Party please keep Andrew Yang off television? He got savaged by Jim Acosta on Sunday afternoon. It was funny for a bit but after a while, I just wanted it to end.
Old 17th August 2022, 03:57 AM   #190
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Can the rest of the Forward Party please keep Andrew Yang off television? He got savaged by Jim Acosta on Sunday afternoon. It was funny for a bit but after a while, I just wanted it to end.
It's not the messenger, it's the message.

Every political party in history has basically formed the same way. A bunch of people with similar political agendas gets together and forms a voting block. These loonies are trying to reverse the process, forming a political party and then deciding what their agenda is.

I mean, you can say that their agenda is to unify and bipartisan and all that, but that ignores why political parties exist in the first place. People disagree about things, and some things people disagree about cannot be ignored or compromised away.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:14 AM   #191
I Am The Scum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I like how the interview is being described as a real beatdown when all that the guy did was ask follow-up questions.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 07:16 AM   #192
Donal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
What problem exactly? Did you miss the last 6 years where they were basically the victims of a hostel take over by a guy that was good buddies the the Clintons 7 years ago? Or the way where they've essentially expelled one of their most conservative members for insufficient revolutionary zeal?

Jonah Goldberg has a line about how both parties are basically competing for permanent minority status.
Again, this isn't new. It has been happening for a long time.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:38 AM   #193
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
I like how the interview is being described as a real beatdown when all that the guy did was ask follow-up questions.
Sadly, asking follow up questions in an interview is a real beatdown when all you have is bumper-sticker policies.
Old 17th August 2022, 09:22 AM   #194
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

In time since I've last had to fill my gas tank Biden has, with only a 50/50 Congress

- Cancelled 3.9 billion dollar in student loan debt, the entire amount for students of what was the largest for profit university in the US.
- Killed the leader of the largest terrorist group in the world.
- The largest ever government action to stop climate change.
- A 15% minimum tax on large corporations
- All without being a national embarrassment.

Yep, sure can't do anything.
Old 17th August 2022, 09:58 AM   #195
Venom
Philosopher

In time since I've last had to fill my gas tank Biden has, with only a 50/50 Congress

- Cancelled 3.9 billion dollar in student loan debt, the entire amount for students of what was the largest for profit university in the US.
- Killed the leader of the largest terrorist group in the world.
- The largest ever government action to stop climate change.
- A 15% minimum tax on large corporations
- All without being a national embarrassment.

Yep, sure can't do anything.
And yet the Democrats can't seem to communicate these facts to the public very effectively. Wonder why. I'm not fond of the childish nicknames, but "Sleepy Joe" sticks for a reason.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 10:14 AM   #196
wareyin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
And yet the Democrats can't seem to communicate these facts to the public very effectively. Wonder why. I'm not fond of the childish nicknames, but "Sleepy Joe" sticks for a reason.
I wonder whether it's an inability to communicate so much, or whether it's more simply not what people want to hear.

I still have ads on my TV/youtube videos from the GOP ranting and raving about Biden causing gas prices to be so high. I also still have the local yokels putting "I did that" Biden stickers on the gas pumps around here. Never mind that they're like down $1/per gallon from just a couple months ago, never mind that the President doesn't set prices, people around here just want to complain about it all being Biden's fault.

I also get ads against my Dem Senator Warnock, complaining that because the cost of a burger is now $15, Warnock shouldn't have approved of some casino being built in some other state. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't have to. It's <bad thing> therefore Democrat's fault. What, Al-Zarwahiri was killed? Who? Who cares, gas prices were high a couple months ago argle bargle! What, we're taking action on climate change? Global warming is all fake anyhow and besides, Biden didn't get Manchin to vote for an abortion rights bill!
Old 17th August 2022, 10:20 AM   #197
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's been the major news story for the last couple of days. What do you expect Biden to come around and tell you personally?
Old 17th August 2022, 01:38 PM   #198
Venom
Philosopher

I wonder whether it's an inability to communicate so much, or whether it's more simply not what people want to hear.
It's been the major news story for the last couple of days. What do you expect Biden to come around and tell you personally?
I'm saying at the very least I want to see Democrats blast the airwaves with these talking points with the same fanatical enthusiasm that Republicans have when they kiss Trump's ass to stay electable.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 01:41 PM   #199
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm saying at the very least I want to see Democrats blast the airwaves with these talking points with the same fanatical enthusiasm that Republicans have when they kiss Trump's ass to stay electable.
The Democrats aren't a Cult. We don't do that.
Old 17th August 2022, 03:32 PM   #200
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That might just be what some radicals on the left want. under the idea that "The sooner we have fascism, the sooner we will have the revolution".
Problem with Suddenly and a couple of other here is they cannot accept that relatively few voters are as far to the left as they are. They think there is some vast lost tribe of left wing voters just waiting for hte right candidate or party to come along to lead them to the promised land. They are wrong, of course.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th August 2022 at 03:38 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics