IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Rust" , alec baldwin , gun incidents

Old 17th August 2022, 09:47 AM   #241
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
The post you are replying to explained why that is looking at the problem from the wrong direction. The set safety procedures are intended to prevent any actor handling a lethal weapon in the first place, whether it's a light sabre, a hand grenade, stick of dynamite or whatever. The fact that in this case the prop was supposed to look like a loaded gun without really being one, and that on a gun range there are procedures to safely accept real guns seems to be a red herring.

What if the prop had been a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse? Or a car, which might potentially have faulty brakes or innumerable other unsafe parts?

Do you think there should be mandatory cuts for safety checks every time one movie character picks up a gun or hands a gun to another character?
I think that when a movie character picks up a gun that character should, in character and as part of the movie, follow the safe procedure and provide a check of the gun before doing anything else with it. Likewise a character who receives a gun from another character. Then a whole lot more gun nuts who love violent movies would be exposed to procedures that they are likely not aware of. A small number might even learn something from it.

The "set safety procedures" are proven to be inadequate. Additional procedures are required.
Old 17th August 2022, 09:56 AM   #242
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I think that when a movie character picks up a gun that character should, in character and as part of the movie, follow the safe procedure and provide a check of the gun before doing anything else with it. Likewise a character who receives a gun from another character. Then a whole lot more gun nuts who love violent movies would be exposed to procedures that they are likely not aware of. A small number might even learn something from it.

The "set safety procedures" are proven to be inadequate. Additional procedures are required.
Are the procedures inadequate when they are not followed?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 09:58 AM   #243
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Fine. But maybe the analogy is overstretched. My point is that the safety rules on movie sets don't appear to rely on each actor having expertise with whatever prop they're pretending to use. It's someone else's job to ensure they don't, for example, get handed a real hand grenade.
I can't sustain my belief in the right to bear arms, except on the principle that everyone is and should be responsible for their own basic gun safety. Even an actor on set should be responsible enough to not point guns at people. Even if he has complete faith in the armorer to be competent in their specialty.

So I'm not saying it was on Baldwin to expertly examine the gun, correctly identify the details of the trigger mechanism, and properly ensure it was not loaded with live ammo. I am saying it was on Baldwin to treat every gun that ends up in his hand as potentially loaded, and not put his finger on the trigger while there's people downrange.

I am also saying that it was on Baldwin to use his star power to refuse to rehearse while there were people downrange, just in case.

And I am also saying that as a producer of the film, it was on Baldwin as "management" to do due diligence in hiring a competent armorer, and due diligence in hiring senior production staff who were oversee the armorer's proper discharge of her responsibilities.

I don't expect Baldwin to know all the details of how to make a working firearm safe for a film set. I just expect him to practice basic gun safety at all times.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:01 AM   #244
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Personally I think all the accidents from people concealed carrying prove that there are not sufficient restrictions to promote proper safety of that. More constant paperwork is clearly the answer.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 10:05 AM   #245
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

The post you are replying to explained why that is looking at the problem from the wrong direction. The set safety procedures are intended to prevent any actor handling a lethal weapon in the first place, whether it's a light sabre, a hand grenade, stick of dynamite or whatever. The fact that in this case the prop was supposed to look like a loaded gun without really being one, and that on a gun range there are procedures to safely accept real guns seems to be a red herring.

What if the prop had been a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse? Or a car, which might potentially have faulty brakes or innumerable other unsafe parts?

Do you think there should be mandatory cuts for safety checks every time one movie character picks up a gun or hands a gun to another character?
All good points.

I happened to catch Django Unchained on the TV the other day. Lots of scenes of actors handing weapons to each other, lots of scenes of guns being fired directly at the camera. None of those things could be done on a gun range but were essential parts of the story-telling of the movie.

Movie sets are not gun ranges and asking numerous actors, both big and small names, to be expert in firearm handling is unreasonable.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 10:07 AM   #246
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
All good points.

I happened to catch Django Unchained on the TV the other day. Lots of scenes of actors handing weapons to each other, lots of scenes of guns being fired directly at the camera. None of those things could be done on a gun range but were essential parts of the story-telling of the movie.

Movie sets are not gun ranges and asking numerous actors, both big and small names, to be expert in firearm handling is unreasonable.
Also gun safety rules for the public are clearly inadequate as evidenced by the thousands of accidental deaths per year. We need to take away everyone's guns until we can come up with a fool proof system.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:47 AM   #247
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

All good points.

How many of those scenes of "guns being fired directly at the camera" involved working guns? How many of the scenes involved working guns, with competent armorers on set doing their jobs?

I don't think it's too much to ask, even of an actor, that they insist on only handling firearms under the direct supervision of the production armorer.

Last edited by theprestige; 17th August 2022 at 10:48 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 10:50 AM   #248
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I get that we all want to save Baldwin's reputation, and throw the armorer under the bus. I just can't figure out why we all want this.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:51 AM   #249
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's 2022. If a low budget horror movie can deep fake 60 lines of dialogue to remove the "F" word to get a PG-13 rating, any movie can just give actors static prop guns and CGI in the muzzle flash later.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:55 AM   #250
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's 2022. If a low budget horror movie can deep fake 60 lines of dialogue to remove the "F" word to get a PG-13 rating, any movie can just give actors static prop guns and CGI in the muzzle flash later.
Exactly.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:56 AM   #251
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

You mean the "actors" should actually "act"? Preposterous! We have been told that this would not look real enough.
Old 17th August 2022, 10:58 AM   #252
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I get that we all want to save Baldwin's reputation, and throw the armorer under the bus. I just can't figure out why we all want this.
Because that's exactly the armorers job, to make sure the weapons on the set are safe to use.

"You tosser! You had one job!"

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 11:06 AM   #253
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You mean the "actors" should actually "act"? Preposterous! We have been told that this would not look real enough.
I mentioned this in the other thread, the original about this incident.

If the "real feel of recoil" is THAT important you can make something akin to The Mill Blackbird.

The Mill Blackbird is a device to simulate cars in car commercials. Funny fact in the last 10 years or so you've probably rarely seen an actual real car driving in a car commercial. Ironically you sometimes have to start shooting a car commercial before the car is production ready so all you have is a static model and production specs.

So you get the Mill Blackbird. It's basically just a stripped chassis that adjust its length and width to the dimensions of most any road car and it has a 360 camera and bunch of reference points for CGI on it. You film the Mill Blackbird driving along your mountain roads and your wet highways at night and all that, you just CGI the car over when the design is finalized. The car you see people sitting in and putting the children in are almost always static mockups.

So just do that but for guns. Have a pistol, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, etc mockup that you adjust the size of to fit any gun (advantage you could make fake or sci fi guns a lot easier this way). It can simulate recoil, you could put a light to simulate muzzle flash to make the CGI guys work easier since they would have a lighting reference. You could then motion track a photorealistic gun model over it later. It just couldn't shoot anything ever.

Again, to keep all my cards face up and on the table, I'm still sorta on team "3 deaths, really 2 of this type, in 70+ years is actually a pretty good safety record given how much gunplay is in modern fiction" but the solution isn't that hard either.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th August 2022 at 11:15 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 11:35 AM   #254
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Again, to keep all my cards face up and on the table, I'm still sorta on team "3 deaths, really 2 of this type, in 70+ years is actually a pretty good safety record given how much gunplay is in modern fiction" but the solution isn't that hard either.
Also both revolve around basic failures on the part of the armorer to follow procedures.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:46 AM   #255
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Fine. But maybe the analogy is overstretched. My point is that the safety rules on movie sets don't appear to rely on each actor having expertise with whatever prop they're pretending to use. It's someone else's job to ensure they don't, for example, get handed a real hand grenade.
Indeed. Or, perhaps, a loaded ******* gun.
Old 17th August 2022, 11:47 AM   #256
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Because that's exactly the armorers job, to make sure the weapons on the set are safe to use.

"You tosser! You had one job!"
My view is that basic gun safety is everyone's job, including screen actors.

And hiring competent armorers, and competent senior production staff to oversee them, is specifically a producer's job.

And insisting on the presence and due diligence of the armorer on set, is the job of everyone else on the set, cast and crew alike.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:25 PM   #257
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I see Baldwin as jointly culpable based on his producer and marquee star status. He was in a position of power to make the set safe and he failed to do so. Even if another actor had been holding the gun I think Baldwin would share responsibility. Along with the armorer.

My hesitation with making an actor liable for production failings is that an actor could be a toddler like the one I saw in a gun safety billboard pointing a revolver like a play toy. Or a nine year old. Or an adult who knows less about guns than the nine year old. Or a teen who thinks he knows everything about guns. Hell, I can’t even figure out which of those examples is most dangerous.

I don’t need actors to know anything about guns if the production is run properly.

Just like I don’t need Matt Damon to know algebra to film Good Will Hunting. I just need him to act.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:36 PM   #258
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect even actors to abide by the basic gun safety principle of not pointing guns at people.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect actors specifically to insist on only handling guns under the supervision of the production armorer.
Old 17th August 2022, 01:05 PM   #259
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe the procedures were simply not followed.
What additinal procedures do you recommend?
ANd yes, I fear that some :Progressives won't be satified until every single action an indvidual can do is reglated by the government.
BTW your total contempt for anybody who owns a gun is noted.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th August 2022 at 01:08 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 01:12 PM   #260
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

From John Wick V: Shooting the Fourth Wall

JOHN WICK and MOOK simultaneously pick up pistols from among the weapons scattered on the floor during the previous action scene.

JOHN WICK "Hey, is that gun safe?"

MOOK Checks gun.

JOHN WICK Shoots MOOK in the face. "Mine isn't!"
Old 17th August 2022, 01:21 PM   #261
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Robert Rodriguez was filming "Once Upon a Time Mexico" and there was customs hangup of some kind with the functional prop guns, the ones that could fire blanks, and all they had was static prop guns, essentially solid lumps of rubber with no moving parts at all, so he just decided to shot most (maybe all, I'll have to go back and listen to the Director's Commentary again) of the movie with no "movie guns" to speak off and the film has some of the best gunplay ever put to film and the only production problem was Antonio Banderas kept making gun noises with his mouth while filming.
Old 17th August 2022, 01:25 PM   #262
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, it looks like no opinions have changed since the last time we all went round on this, so I'll bow out here.
Old 17th August 2022, 01:27 PM   #263
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well because it's a weird situation. How do you parse an easy solution to a problem that statistically never happens.

Don't get me wrong it's a tragic incident, it should be investigated, but it seems like everyone wants to turn into the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire for film production but this kind of thing just doesn't happen that often.
Old 17th August 2022, 02:20 PM   #264
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect even actors to abide by the basic gun safety principle of not pointing guns at people.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect actors specifically to insist on only handling guns under the supervision of the production armorer.
Then how do they act like bad guys? Or, good guys who are pointing guns at bad guys?

Not use guns? I’m good with that, actually. But if you are going for visual authenticity that may be difficult. But maybe that’s the direction we need to head. Is that what you’re proposing for scenes where actors appear to be pointing weapons at the camera or at other actors?

I completely agree that no gun should be handed to an actor without the armorer on set. Even if assistants are handing out guns because you have so many, no armorer, no guns.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 03:11 PM   #265
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

No set of rules or procedures is any better the people in charge of enforcing or supervising them.
I think some people here are looking for a set of rules about guns that will work regardless of who is in charge of enforcing them. That is simply delusional.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 04:08 PM   #266
Axxman300
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No set of rules or procedures is any better the people in charge of enforcing or supervising them.
I think some people here are looking for a set of rules about guns that will work regardless of who is in charge of enforcing them. That is simply delusional.
Yup.

The issue here isn't gun control, or the 2nd Amendment. The issue is an accidental shooting on a movie set which ended with one dead, and one wounded.

The protocols for the use of "hot weapons" [real guns, loaded with blanks, or with dummy rounds] has been repeatedly laid out. The Armorer is responsible for the guns, their safe keeping, cleaning, function, and loading of rounds. The actors and extras are responsible for the safe handling of the weapons at all times, while in their possession.

The evidence is clear. There was an unprofessional attitude towards gun safety on the set of that movie by the production staff , and this attitude permeated all levels of the set to include the armorer, and Baldwin. The list of those at fault in the death of Halyna Hutchins is disgustingly long. The criminality is up for debate in a court of law.
Old 17th August 2022, 06:28 PM   #267
rockinkt
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
They are not universally accepted standards because they do not apply on film sets. I know this, because I work on film sets and I've been handed weapons I'd never normally get to handle, and I've read the gun safety risk assessments.

Film sets are not shooting ranges, they are industrial workplaces with all manner of things/behaviours which would not be allowed in regular life, for example unsafe vehicles, explosives, high ledges with handrails which are designed to break when leant against.

An actor is required to do as directed, which often means trusting the assigned safety expert over his or her own instincts. Requiring an actor to always check a weapon handed to them is unworkable, because, for example, the weapon may be handed to them in the middle of a scene by another actor. An actor may be required to load a gun using ammo given by another actor from their pocket or bag. That actor may be required to point that gun at another actor and pull the trigger. That actor may be too young to be trusted with a gun, or otherwise unqualified. This is why gun range 'best practices' don't work on a film set. What would be considered unsafe unhandling on a gun range, is virtually required behaviour on a film set. That is why gun safety is handed very differently by ensuring the weapons are safe before they go onto the set so there are no limits placed on what the actor can or can't do with that weapon.

There was NO direction from anyone indicating that Baldwin should draw his fully functional firearm and point it at Souza and Hutchins and pull the trigger. Baldwin took the firearm out of the holster after being handed it by the AD1 - not the armorer - and began "rehearsing" what he thought he would do. That is not protocol in any way, shape, or form.
Here's what happened:

While the trio behind the monitor were repositioning the camera to remove a shadow, Baldwin began explaining to the crew how he planned to draw the firearm. He said, "So, I guess I'm gonna take this out, pull it, and go, 'Bang!'" When he removed it from the holster, the gun was fired a single time.

I've also been on the set of movies/TV shows. When the firearm is handed to the actor on set - the actor and anyone else who may come in contact with that firearm in that scene - is shown by the armorer that the firearm is safe and that the bullets are dummies/blanks.
The 1AD was not the armorer on set. Baldwin knew this so he knew that proper protocol was not being followed. That was willful negligence on his part to ignore that serious safety breach. That - along with the "rehearsing" that I pointed out above - shows two acts on his part that are not proper protocol.

BTW - What to heck was the 1AD doing pretending he was the armorer? Nobody in my universe hands a working firearm to an actor on set but the armorer - or in the case of a very large production and armed cast - the armorer's assistant.
Again - why would Baldwin accept the word of a 1AD when he knows the proper protocol was to have the firearm proofed and cleared by the armorer?

BTW - I have seen many actors check firearms every time they are handed one. There were numerous actors who were on the Rust set that stated that they checked their firearms every time they were handed one. I cited that in the other thread.

Furthermore - George Clooney stated this when asked about the shooting in question:

Every single time I’m handed a gun on the set — every time — they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it too, I show it to the crew,” Clooney said. “Every single take.” Then, “You hand it back to the armor when you’re done.” He said. Part of it is because of what happened to Brandon. Everyone does it. Everyone knows” that is the protocol to follow. “Maybe Alec did that — hopefully he did do that. But the problem is dummies are tricky because they look like real [rounds]. They got a little tiny hole in the back [from which] somebody’s [removed] the gunpowder.
https://deadline.com/2021/11/george-...ty-1234874907/

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 06:52 PM   #268
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Yup.

The issue here isn't gun control, or the 2nd Amendment. The issue is an accidental shooting on a movie set which ended with one dead, and one wounded.

The protocols for the use of "hot weapons" [real guns, loaded with blanks, or with dummy rounds] has been repeatedly laid out. The Armorer is responsible for the guns, their safe keeping, cleaning, function, and loading of rounds. The actors and extras are responsible for the safe handling of the weapons at all times, while in their possession.

The evidence is clear. There was an unprofessional attitude towards gun safety on the set of that movie by the production staff , and this attitude permeated all levels of the set to include the armorer, and Baldwin. The list of those at fault in the death of Halyna Hutchins is disgustingly long. The criminality is up for debate in a court of law.
This.
And , I submit, given how shocking this was, the current rules and prodecures for firearm safety on movie sets seem to work pretty well.
Sadly, you had a bunch of idiots in charge here. ANd nor set of rules will work when that happens.
Nohting made by humans will work 100% of the time.
I love the poster who suggested that the people who watch these kind of movies are really the ones to blame.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th August 2022 at 06:54 PM.
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:16 AM   #269
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Why is it so hard for people to just blame Baldwin? In the end, the gun was in his hand and he pulled the trigger. If this were any other circumstance other than a movie set, it'd be pretty cut and dried.
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:23 AM   #270
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Why is it so hard for people to just blame Baldwin? In the end, the gun was in his hand and he pulled the trigger. If this were any other circumstance other than a movie set, it'd be pretty cut and dried.
Simply because it actually did happen on a movie set. Other people have defined duties that make them responsible too.

I forget the other names but the evidence I'm familiar with points to four people: Baldwin, person that handed him the weapon and misled him, armorer, and ammo supplier.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 22nd August 2022 at 06:24 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:23 AM   #271
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
There was NO direction from anyone indicating that Baldwin should draw his fully functional firearm and point it at Souza and Hutchins and pull the trigger. Baldwin took the firearm out of the holster after being handed it by the AD1 - not the armorer - and began "rehearsing" what he thought he would do. That is not protocol in any way, shape, or form.
Here's what happened:

While the trio behind the monitor were repositioning the camera to remove a shadow, Baldwin began explaining to the crew how he planned to draw the firearm. He said, "So, I guess I'm gonna take this out, pull it, and go, 'Bang!'" When he removed it from the holster, the gun was fired a single time.

I've also been on the set of movies/TV shows. When the firearm is handed to the actor on set - the actor and anyone else who may come in contact with that firearm in that scene - is shown by the armorer that the firearm is safe and that the bullets are dummies/blanks.
The 1AD was not the armorer on set. Baldwin knew this so he knew that proper protocol was not being followed. That was willful negligence on his part to ignore that serious safety breach. That - along with the "rehearsing" that I pointed out above - shows two acts on his part that are not proper protocol.

BTW - What to heck was the 1AD doing pretending he was the armorer? Nobody in my universe hands a working firearm to an actor on set but the armorer - or in the case of a very large production and armed cast - the armorer's assistant.
Again - why would Baldwin accept the word of a 1AD when he knows the proper protocol was to have the firearm proofed and cleared by the armorer?

BTW - I have seen many actors check firearms every time they are handed one. There were numerous actors who were on the Rust set that stated that they checked their firearms every time they were handed one. I cited that in the other thread.

Furthermore - George Clooney stated this when asked about the shooting in question:

Every single time I’m handed a gun on the set — every time — they hand me a gun, I look at it, I open it, I show it to the person I’m pointing it too, I show it to the crew,” Clooney said. “Every single take.” Then, “You hand it back to the armor when you’re done.” He said. Part of it is because of what happened to Brandon. Everyone does it. Everyone knows” that is the protocol to follow. “Maybe Alec did that — hopefully he did do that. But the problem is dummies are tricky because they look like real [rounds]. They got a little tiny hole in the back [from which] somebody’s [removed] the gunpowder.
https://deadline.com/2021/11/george-...ty-1234874907/
Clooney doesn’t even know how Dummies are made, they are reloaded cases where the powder Is not put in, the hole is drilled and BB are put in instead of Powder. I wouldn't take Clooney's word, on this.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 06:25 AM   #272
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

It's not hard that's what everyone is trying too do, I simply believe in Innocent until proven Guilty not shoot and as Questions later.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:01 AM   #273
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because at least on the standard of his actions he did nothing wrong in his handling of the gun. Do you blame the pilots for the crashes of the Boeing 737s?
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:13 AM   #274
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Clooney doesn’t even know how Dummies are made, they are reloaded cases where the powder Is not put in, the hole is drilled and BB are put in instead of Powder. I wouldn't take Clooney's word, on this.
Clooney's probably been on more sets with more gun props of all kinds, than you or I could shake a stick at. There's more than one way to make a dummy bullet. Nowadays, you can even print one and paint it to look real on screen. Just because Clooney says "dummy" in reference to a prop bullet made by some other method, that doesn't mean he's wrong. I'd take his word over yours, about what goes on on a safe movie set.
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:18 AM   #275
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
It's not hard that's what everyone is trying too do, I simply believe in Innocent until proven Guilty
The principle of "innocent until proven guilty" is a restriction we place on the government, to not infringe on someone's rights without clearing a very high bar of proof. We are not bound by the same restriction in the court of public opinion. We know enough about this case to reasonably conclude that Baldwin bears a significant moral responsibility for this death. Even if the state never does make a convincing case for legal responsibility.

Quote:
not shoot and as Questions later.
Ironically, "shoot and ask questions later" seems to be exactly Baldwin's belief system, on the set that day.

If he'd stopped to ask questions like, "where's the armorer?" and "can someone show me that this gun has been properly safed?", Hutchins would still be alive, and his pet project would still be on track.
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:39 AM   #276
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Clooney's probably been on more sets with more gun props of all kinds, than you or I could shake a stick at. There's more than one way to make a dummy bullet. Nowadays, you can even print one and paint it to look real on screen. Just because Clooney says "dummy" in reference to a prop bullet made by some other method, that doesn't mean he's wrong. I'd take his word over yours, about what goes on on a safe movie set.
He said a hole is drilled into the side to remove the gun powder, that's a good way to set off the smokeless powder.

Used or empty cases are most often used for Dumbies just put a Bullet in one. Drill a hole and done.
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:42 AM   #277
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

The principle of "innocent until proven guilty" is a restriction we place on the government, to not infringe on someone's rights without clearing a very high bar of proof. We are not bound by the same restriction in the court of public opinion. We know enough about this case to reasonably conclude that Baldwin bears a significant moral responsibility for this death. Even if the state never does make a convincing case for legal responsibility.

Ironically, "shoot and ask questions later" seems to be exactly Baldwin's belief system, on the set that day.

If he'd stopped to ask questions like, "where's the armorer?" and "can someone show me that this gun has been properly safed?", Hutchins would still be alive, and his pet project would still be on track.
I would have spun the cylinder too make sure their were all dented primers in the cylinders. But even that wouldn't be fool proof.
Old 22nd August 2022, 05:50 PM   #278
autumn1971
Illuminator

I’m thinking that at least four or five people are absolutely responsible, one of them being Baldwin.
I think civil penalties should be handed out to many, with Baldwin on the hook for a bunch of money to the victims’ families.
I think the armorer is criminally negligent.

I’m flexible on this, though. Baldwin being found criminally negligent would sit okay with me.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2022, 02:19 AM   #279
erwinl
Illuminator

This still ends up with people trusting other people to do the due dilligence with regards to these weapons in order for things to be safe on set. Something you say, should not be done by a dedicated armourer to check for all people present.
Old 23rd August 2022, 05:22 AM   #280
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
This still ends up with people trusting other people to do the due dilligence with regards to these weapons in order for things to be safe on set. Something you say, should not be done by a dedicated armourer to check for all people present.
As I said before, the easy way is too have all dumby rounds marked with green plastic instead of a primer cap, and all blanks used on set marked with a red Primer. Hollywood being cheap causes these accidents.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories