IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 16th August 2022, 10:43 AM   #1841
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
There's a video of MTG where she breaks character, looks up and says "this is insane" laughing at what she is saying. To me, she looks like she is playing a role, similar to how Boris Johnson plays a slightly dim, posh buffoon character.

The video of MTG is on the link below, 45 seconds in is where she "breaks character".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Qult_Headqu...tm_name=iossmf

She knows what she is saying is bat-crap crazy, she also knows she can make a lot of money out of the idiots that believe this *****.
Jesus. She is a soulless parasite.
Old 16th August 2022, 11:01 AM   #1842
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Hannity:

I've heard that phrase (the correct one) used a lot in the last few days -- every time I wondered when someone would get it wrong. I can't even be sure Hannity didn't misspeak on purpose, but I'm dying to make a Photoshop graphic of it.
It's no accident that the "if they can do this to a POTUS, then the FBI can do this to you" (or a variation thereof) fear mongering started almost immediately and was repeated ad nauseum by the Trump acolytes. It's like they got a memo that read "This is the phrase that needs to be pushed".
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 11:16 AM   #1843
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It's no accident that the "if they can do this to a POTUS, then the FBI can do this to you" (or a variation thereof) fear mongering started almost immediately and was repeated ad nauseum by the Trump acolytes. It's like they got a memo that read "This is the phrase that needs to be pushed".
And their targeted audience is so dumb that they don't understand the truthfulness of the message, which is along the lines of: If you steal government secrets and hide them in your basement, they can come get them from you.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 11:26 AM   #1844
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And their targeted audience is so dumb that they don't understand the truthfulness of the message, which is along the lines of: If you steal government secrets and hide them in your basement, they can come get them from you.
So true. The first time I heard that phrase used, I thought "Well, duh! If I broke the law by taking home documents I shouldn't have, they'd search my house, too. That's the FBI's job!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 11:31 AM   #1845
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

So true. The first time I heard that phrase used, I thought "Well, duh! If I broke the law by taking home documents I shouldn't have, they'd search my house, too. That's the FBI's job!"
Actually, the concept is reversed. It's not that "if they can do this to Trump, they can do it to you" it's "since they can do it to you, why can't they do it to Trump?"

Because, you damn straight they can do it to you. The feds carry out search warrants on citizens of the US every day.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 12:36 PM   #1846
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

"If they can do it to me, they can do it to you" is a very clever rhetoric: it suggests, contrary to all evidence, that there is no significant difference between the average Republican voter and the Elites of the GOP. The appeal is not "I'm the last line of defense for you", but "we are all victims together".
Old 16th August 2022, 12:47 PM   #1847
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Actually, the concept is reversed. It's not that "if they can do this to Trump, they can do it to you" it's "since they can do it to you, why can't they do it to Trump?"

Because, you damn straight they can do it to you. The feds carry out search warrants on citizens of the US every day.
If they can do it to a former President, imagine what they can do to you.” Rep. Lauren Boebert, R-Colo., tweeted, “This #DepartmentofInjustice must be held accountable. It was President Trump today, but it’s you next if we don’t take a stand.”

"Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., tweeted, “If they weaponize the FBI to go after President Trump, they will surely weaponize the IRS’s 87,000 new agents to go after you.”

The above are from a very interesting article on how the GOP is "message laundering". It's well worth reading:

GOP ‘message laundering’ turns violent, extremist reactions to search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago into acceptable political talking points
Old 16th August 2022, 01:07 PM   #1848
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
"If they can do it to me, they can do it to you" is a very clever rhetoric: it suggests, contrary to all evidence, that there is no significant difference between the average Republican voter and the Elites of the GOP. The appeal is not "I'm the last line of defense for you", but "we are all victims together".
Exactly. Trump has long played the victim as "The most persecuted person in the history of our country". But, conservatives, in general, have often played the victim card. As this article in The Atlantic points out:

Quote:
The central concept in modern conservatism is victimhood.
Quote:
After the attempted coup, the mood in the pro-Trump world became one of profoundest self-pity. The president’s supporters compare themselves to victims of Stalin’s purges, to the unpersons of George Orwell’s 1984. They watch their Twitter followers disappear as the company closes QAnon accounts, and they feel persecuted. They invoke Martin Niemöller’s famous poem about Nazi Germany: First they came for those who plotted the violent overthrow of the U.S. government, and I said nothing.
Quote:
Even as Trump commits one constitutional, legal, and ethical abuse after another, his followers depict themselves as somehow the people truly suffering unfairness. Trump was a perpetrator who thought himself a victim, and American society has indulged that same illusion among Trump supporters.

Hawley described himself as a victim of a “woke mob” after his publisher terminated his book contract because of his leadership role in propagating the falsehoods that inspired the attack. Cruz, who shoved himself to the forefront of the movement to overturn the 2020 election, has accused his critics, beginning with Biden, of “vicious, partisan rhetoric that tears our country apart.” The head of the American Conservative Union—a lobbyist married to Trump’s communications director—lamented that he and his fellow Trump supporters were being sent to a “digital Gulag.” A co-publisher of the conservative news site Human Events tweeted: “The conservative movement is about to face a level of collective discrimination by the institutions of our society not seen since Jim Crow.” The op-ed editor of the New York Post topped that analogy: “We're now going to see US sanctions—ŕ la Iraq and Iran—applied to religious conservatives, economic leftists and others who reject the reigning corporate woke orthodoxy. Oh, you don't think there are 157 genders? There goes your access to banking!”
Old 16th August 2022, 01:13 PM   #1849
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

"Rep. Andrew Clyde, R-Ga., tweeted, “If they weaponize the FBI to go after President Trump, they will surely weaponize the IRS’s 87,000 new agents to go after you.”
Yeah, because that’s where the money is - nabbing rural Kentuckians who didn’t report the $180 they made from selling bad Jesus artwork at the township’s Christmas festival.

Last edited by Ladewig; 16th August 2022 at 01:22 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 01:40 PM   #1850
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yeah, because that’s where the money is - nabbing rural Kentuckians who didn’t report the $180 they made from selling bad Jesus artwork at the township’s Christmas festival.
Exactly. It's fear mongering message laundering. Combine people's established dislike of the IRS (I mean, who likes the IRS?) with persecution and you've got a great combination for outraging conservatives.
Old 16th August 2022, 01:41 PM   #1851
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yep. There's a deep, deep, deep cultural fear of "The Revenue Man" in a lot of rural US that goes even beyond simple "Nobody actually likes paying taxes" stuff.
Old 16th August 2022, 01:47 PM   #1852
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. It's fear mongering message laundering. Combine people's established dislike of the IRS (I mean, who likes the IRS?) with persecution and you've got a great combination for outraging conservatives.
In Kentucky I believe the word is “revenooers”!
Old 16th August 2022, 01:51 PM   #1853
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The revenue man wanted granddaddy bad,
Headed up the holler with everything he had,
It was before my time but I've been told
YA NEVER COME BACK FROM COPPERHEAD ROAD!
(Epic guitar and drum part)

.... sorry. I do love that song.
Old 16th August 2022, 02:03 PM   #1854
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm all for generating talking points -- but now I feel a bit foolish because the bit I was actually talking about is highlighted below.

Quote:
Hannity:
Quote:
“Make no mistake,” Hannity said, “if you are associated with Donald Trump in any way, you better cross all your i’s and dot all your t’s, because they’re coming for you with the full force of the federal government.”
/Quote

I've heard that phrase (the correct one) used a lot in the last few days -- every time I wondered when someone would get it wrong. I can't even be sure Hannity didn't misspeak on purpose, but I'm dying to make a Photoshop graphic of it.
Mea culpa for not clarifying in the first place. Carry on!

Last edited by alfaniner; 16th August 2022 at 02:05 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 02:06 PM   #1855
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm all for generating talking points -- but now I feel a bit foolish because the bit I was actually talking about is highlighted below.

LOL! Talk about seeing what you expect to see and your brain filling it in for you! I never even noticed that!
Old 16th August 2022, 02:18 PM   #1856
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Sidney Powell and other Trump lawyers are in another heap o' trouble:

Quote:
Quote:
Embattled Trump attorney Sidney Powell helped coordinate with a team of computer experts who succeeded in breaching Georgia election files in rural Coffee County and accessing election data that included voter check-in computers and ballot memory cards, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Local election officials reportedly gave the group access to equipment that was meant to be protected.
Quote:
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation confirmed to The Journal-Constitution on Tuesday that it has opened a criminal investigation into the Coffee County breach, which took place one day after the Capitol riot on January 6, 2021.

Details about the breach and related efforts came to light last week through a subpoena issued to SullivanStrickler as part of an ongoing federal lawsuit over the security of Georgia's voting systems. Emails, texts, and other records produced on Friday indicate that the extent of the endeavor was more successful than previously reported.

"The breach is way beyond what we thought," David Cross, a lawyer representing the plaintiffs in the Georgia election lawsuit told The Post. "The scope of it is mind-blowing."
Old 16th August 2022, 02:26 PM   #1857
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's true that for most rational people, the rational reaction would be to applaud the idea that nobody is either above or below the law. I suspect, though, that, for the intended audience (the folks whose ideas of politics are bumper-sticker deep), the focus of the message is not the ideal of an even-handed justice system, but rather on the "this"- the implication, as a given, that the "raid" itself was somehow unlawful, in spite of the fact that the law was strictly adhered to both in the issuance of the warrant and its execution.

My response to folks who want to rely on that meme would be along the lines of "at least Trump, unlike the Breonna Taylors in America, didn't have to worry about getting shot during the raid."

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 16th August 2022 at 02:30 PM. Reason: clarify
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 02:44 PM   #1858
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
There's a video of MTG where she breaks character, looks up and says "this is insane" laughing at what she is saying. To me, she looks like she is playing a role, similar to how Boris Johnson plays a slightly dim, posh buffoon character.

The video of MTG is on the link below, 45 seconds in is where she "breaks character".

https://www.reddit.com/r/Qult_Headqu...tm_name=iossmf

She knows what she is saying is bat-crap crazy, she also knows she can make a lot of money out of the idiots that believe this *****.
Your theory appears to be the only way to explain that clip.
Old 16th August 2022, 02:44 PM   #1859
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's just like Trump's claim/threat that if he were impeached, it would result in every President being impeached as soon as the opposing party controlled Congress. He clearly did nothing wrong, so it was obvious persecution by his political enemies.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 03:14 PM   #1860
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Not sure what to call that sort of linguistic flip, malapropism(?), but it's done for humorous effect frequently if not commonly. Like a Yogi Berra (or George Bush) impression. I've done it, and numerous examples exist. I'm surprised you don't recognize it.
I'm 99% sure this example was intentional.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 16th August 2022 at 03:17 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th August 2022, 04:42 PM   #1861
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Your theory appears to be the only way to explain that clip.
The funny thing is, it makes no difference either way. She's a despicable jackass no matter how you look at her.
Old 16th August 2022, 04:57 PM   #1862
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Not sure what to call that sort of linguistic flip, malapropism(?), but it's done for humorous effect frequently if not commonly. Like a Yogi Berra (or George Bush) impression. I've done it, and numerous examples exist. I'm surprised you don't recognize it.
I'm 99% sure this example was intentional.
"Spoonerism", perhaps? I most commonly see that sort of thing when they use "overstate" or "underestimate" the exact opposite of the way they intend. (different definition, I know).
Old 16th August 2022, 09:50 PM   #1863
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I got it from the start. Everything Hannity says is dotty and cross-eyed.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 10:38 AM   #1864
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump gets his second term, he'll expect the whole government to work for him.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...enda-2024-bid/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 11:05 AM   #1865
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Russians think Trump is losing his effectiveness (for them).
Quote:
Having recovered from their initial shock over the FBI’s search of Donald Trump’s Florida estate, Russian experts and pundits started to dismiss it as much ado about nothing, albeit a convenient tale they could use to smear American democracy. Now they’re singing a different tune. In the most recent broadcast of the state TV show Sunday Evening With Vladimir Solovyov, host Vladimir Solovyov remarked, “I’m very worried for our agent Trump. They found everything at Mar-a-Lago, they got packages of documents. In all seriousness, they say he should be executed as a person that was ready to hand off nuclear secrets to Russia.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia...rewed?ref=home
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:06 PM   #1866
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

As much as I dislike and distrust trump I couldn't believe this:
Quote:
“I’m very worried for our agent Trump...they say he should be executed as a person that was ready to hand off nuclear secrets to Russia.” - Russian-state TV show host Vladimir Solovyov.
But it's absolutely true. A Russian state TV host referred to trump as "our agent." (My ex-Boss etc.)

But that's not all, the International Business Times reports
Quote:
Maria Zakharova, a spokeswoman of the Russian Foreign Ministry, also appeared on Solovyov's show where she blasted the FBI for raiding Trump's residence in a move that she claimed to be a "persecution." Zakharova also suggested that the raid is connected to Trump's stance on gender identity. "In the run-up to the upcoming electoral battles, one of the contenders for a political role— the most important political role in the United States — Donald Trump steps up and says, 'We've gone too far. There are only two genders: male and female.' Immediately, practically momentarily, dozens of cars of U.S. intelligence agencies, dozens—approaching hundreds — of special agents, FBI and so on, searched his home, seized boxes of some papers... and started to say that he broke the law," Zakharova said. IBT link
Would even donald trump hand off nuclear secrets to Russia? Hey, they know him well, probably better than most Americans do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg He can be useful to us of course.jpg (63.9 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:07 PM   #1867
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean Russia is saying Trump is on their side, the Democrats are saying Trump is on Russia's side, but on the other hand Trump is saying he's on Russia's side.

I just don't know which side to believe; the side the says Trump is Russia's boy, the side that says Trump is Russia's boy, or the side that says Trump is Russia's boy.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 17th August 2022 at 12:09 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:22 PM   #1868
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Burden of proof is on Trump on him not being a Russian asset.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:22 PM   #1869
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean Russia is saying Trump is on their side, the Democrats are saying Trump is on Russia's side, but on the other hand Trump is saying he's on Russia's side.

I just don't know which side to believe; the side the says Trump is Russia's boy, the side that says Trump is Russia's boy, or the side that says Trump is Russia's boy.
And no one is actually saying that Trump is not Russia's boy.
Old 17th August 2022, 12:36 PM   #1870
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víđarr

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
You mean that the token the Dems selected isn't a viable candidate? Shocker.
Don't worry! Hillary will save us!
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:42 PM   #1871
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If Trump gets his second term, he'll expect the whole government to work for him.
I'm all for going back to 19th century government and vote counting! Bring back the good old days when ward heelers would stand outside the polls and buy your vote with a couple shots of whiskey! And the KKK would be there to make sure no undesirables got in to vote!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:47 PM   #1872
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
L'Etat, Cest Moi.
Of course, I think that within six months, if Trump gets elected, The USA will be pretty much in a state of Civil War.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 17th August 2022 at 12:48 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:48 PM   #1873
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
As much as I dislike and distrust trump I couldn't believe this:

But it's absolutely true. A Russian state TV host referred to trump as "our agent." (My ex-Boss etc.)

But that's not all, the International Business Times reports

Would even donald trump hand off nuclear secrets to Russia? Hey, they know him well, probably better than most Americans do.
Are you kidding? For the right price, Trump would slit his mother's throat from ear to ear! (Yes, of course she's already dead, but he would exhume her.)

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 12:50 PM   #1874
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Are you kidding? For the right price, Trump would slit his mother's throat from ear to ear! (Yes, of course she's already dead, but he would exhume her.)
Trump will slit his mother's throat for the right price and screw the deal up so bad he's wind up paying to do it, and still brag about it later.
Old 17th August 2022, 02:19 PM   #1875
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I'm all for going back to 19th century government and vote counting! Bring back the good old days when ward heelers would stand outside the polls and buy your vote with a couple shots of whiskey! And the KKK would be there to make sure no undesirables got in to vote!
Sadly, this is what republicans want. They've always hated voting rights for anyone who isn't white and male.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 05:25 PM   #1876
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Don't worry! Hillary will save us!
I'd rather have Hillary than Trump or ANY Republican.
Old 17th August 2022, 06:32 PM   #1877
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

I'd rather have Hillary than Trump or ANY Republican.
Hillary was so right about Trump.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 06:34 PM   #1878
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
Hillary was so right about Trump.
The "basket of deplorables" was an understatement.
Old 17th August 2022, 07:47 PM   #1879
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Democrats need to do everything they can to make Trump the issue in this election.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th August 2022, 07:51 PM   #1880
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump will insist on being the issue - it's his second to last chance to be of relevance to the outcome.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics