IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags propaganda , Russia issues , Russia-Ukraine relations , Russia-Ukraine war , Ukraine issues , vladimir putin , Volodymyr Zelenskiy

Old 28th March 2022, 08:54 PM   #201
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
The devil is in the details and has double standards
What are the standards of the Russian Orthodox Church when it comes to LGBTQ?
Old 28th March 2022, 11:05 PM   #202
threadworm
Graduate Poster

The detail is that a warmongering fascist is murdering innocent people to prop up his dictatorship. Putin is elbow deep in corruption like a vet in a cow.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2022, 01:51 AM   #203
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Do please name the countries in which Ukrainian proxies are using Ukrainian weapons against civilian targets, to benefit Ukrainian military and political aims.

Only then will you have a tiny chance of that analogy being valid.
Yes, you're right. It's easy to make vague analogies, but much harder if you're asked to substantiate them with actual details.
Does this mean you recognise that your comparison of Ukraine with Iran was wrong?

Cosmic Yak on this forum.
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2022, 05:22 AM   #204
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Wouldn't that make you the devil?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2022, 07:05 AM   #205
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Wouldn't that make you the devil?
I don't think it would.
The expression means that something may seem simple, but in fact the details are complicated and likely to cause problems.
Checking this led me to learn something new, which is that it was originally 'God is in the details', and the two were essentially interchangeable.
Source. (This presumably ended when God stopped being in the details and fled to the gaps, where it was safer.)
Anyway, I think the devil is actually the details of Gaetan's analogy, which basically render it invalid: it can't be sustained at anything more than a trite and generalised level, and even then only very tenuously. If you examine it in any more depth, it falls apart completely.

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2022, 08:06 AM   #206
eerok
Quixoticist

Here's the detail you're missing.

Old 29th March 2022, 10:48 AM   #207
Axxman300
Philosopher

I think the war would be over by now had the CIA not stolen that super secret Russian weapon system, and smuggled it out of the country on the MS Estonia in 1994.

No need to thank us.
Old 29th March 2022, 03:11 PM   #208
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I don't think it would.
The expression means that something may seem simple, but in fact the details are complicated and likely to cause problems.
Checking this led me to learn something new, which is that it was originally 'God is in the details', and the two were essentially interchangeable.
Source. (This presumably ended when God stopped being in the details and fled to the gaps, where it was safer.)
Anyway, I think the devil is actually the details of Gaetan's analogy, which basically render it invalid: it can't be sustained at anything more than a trite and generalised level, and even then only very tenuously. If you examine it in any more depth, it falls apart completely.
If, as Gaetan claims, the Devil has double standards then I can't think of a better candidate for the title.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2022, 04:45 PM   #209
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Details aren't working out too well for your arguments. I'd stick to vague insinuations if I were you.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 06:28 AM   #210
Gaetan
Suspended

What i mean by details is that you can say anything to justify the embargo in Iran, Venesuela, the war in Iraq, Vietnam, Afagnistan but it is bull ****, you have double standards, one easy for you and one hard for your ennemies.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 06:42 AM   #211
threadworm
Graduate Poster

What i mean by details is that you can say anything to justify the embargo in Iran, Venesuela, the war in Iraq, Vietnam, Afagnistan but it is bull ****, you have double standards, one easy for you and one hard for your ennemies.
As opposed to the bull **** used by warmongering fascist Putin to justify his expansionist land grab and murder civilians to prop up his bankrupt dictatorship. Those kind of double standards seem to suit you fine when you offer support to a power mad despot.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 06:45 AM   #212
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
If, as Gaetan claims, the Devil has double standards then I can't think of a better candidate for the title.
Gaetan admires the way Putin is working to turn Russia into a country without money.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 07:00 AM   #213
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Those aren't details: they are yet more generalisations.
Do please list the military interventions Ukraine has initiated, that could compare with Iran's. You could then compare the theocracy in Iran with the government of Ukraine, and show how you think they're similar.
But you won't.

Old 30th March 2022, 07:15 AM   #214
Hercules56
Master Poster

Ukraine's Minister of Foreign Affairs says the demilitarization of Russia is going as planned.

Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 08:28 AM   #215
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Putin's goons are not going to be happy with how this thread is going. Gaetan should watch what he sprinkles on his food.

Apollo Hoax Debunked
Old 30th March 2022, 08:40 AM   #216
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Gaetan admires the way Putin is working to turn Russia into a country without money.
THAT is a good and key point given what was said in that 'other thread'.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 11:01 AM   #217
Gaetan
Suspended

All excuses are good for you, no excuse are good for your ennemies
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 03:05 PM   #218
Axxman300
Philosopher

Said every loser ever.

If you knew history as well as you know lame propaganda you would be embarassed.
Old 30th March 2022, 03:07 PM   #219
Papermache
Thinker

Death, taxes, and idiocy from Gaetan. In these uncertain times, there is some comfort in the universal constants.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Papermache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2022, 03:52 PM   #220
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Actually, that applies to you.
Old 30th March 2022, 03:57 PM   #221
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The details are thus: you claim it's the responsibility of the invaded to surrender unconditionally and disarm if and only if the invaded is your enemy. An entirely different story when the invaded is your ally. It's as simple as that.
Old 30th March 2022, 06:30 PM   #222
Gaetan
Suspended

Your president just gave 500 millions to Ukraine and at the same time medias do their best to hide the corruption of your president and the government of Zelinski, guess where the money goes.
Old 30th March 2022, 07:03 PM   #223
Axxman300
Philosopher

Our President AND CONGRESS just gave $500 million IN AID to Ukraine, in the form of medical supplies, and cool weapons which will kill more Russian invaders. The money goes to Lockheed and Raytheon, among others.

Oh hey, where did all that money the Russian government gave to their generals go? Just asking because it didn't seem to go towards new weapons.
Old 30th March 2022, 07:10 PM   #224
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Your president just gave 500 millions to Ukraine and at the same time medias do their best to hide the corruption of your president and the government of Zelinski, guess where the money goes.
My president gave 500 million to help the victims of an atrocious crime defend themselves, while a bunch of Putin's numskull Western collaborators cheer him on.
Old 30th March 2022, 07:23 PM   #225
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by michaelsuede View Post
Putin is going to expose them all with this invasion, which is why they are all going berserk. Even George Soros just put out a tweet calling for the West to stop Putin at all costs. Of course, he sold out his people to the Nazis once before, so this is nothing new for him.
Putin has failed to expose them.
Old 30th March 2022, 07:23 PM   #226
zorro99
Graduate Poster

To Ukraine
Old 30th March 2022, 07:48 PM   #227
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Putin has failed to expose them.
Man, that michaelsuede guy sure seems to disappear when things go sideways.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 30th March 2022 at 07:52 PM.
Old 30th March 2022, 08:35 PM   #228
Gaetan
Suspended

To Ukraine
Then back to US to pay the medias to win the next election, you fellows are very naive,
Old 30th March 2022, 09:45 PM   #229
Axxman300
Philosopher

Then back to US to pay the medias to win the next election, you fellows are very naive,
No guarantee he gets re-elected.

The only one who can count on re-election is Putin and his sycophants.
Old 30th March 2022, 10:10 PM   #230
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
No guarantee he gets re-elected.

The only one who can count on re-election is Putin and his sycophants.
When a media says something you have to believe the opposite., they are all paid to lie.
Old 30th March 2022, 10:30 PM   #231
Hans
Philosopher

When a media says something you have to believe the opposite., they are all paid to lie.
So, who is paying you then?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 01:51 AM   #232
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

So neither Ukraine nor Russia actually exist, then?

Old 31st March 2022, 01:52 AM   #233
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

I don't have a president.

Old 31st March 2022, 03:27 AM   #234
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Public service/pet peeve announcement...
"Media" is plural. Thus Gaetan's "they" is correct, but "a media" is not.
  • The medium is the message.
  • The media are the message.
And placing a comma immediately after a period is seldom correct.

But those errors, which involve Gaetan's linguistic medium, are far less important than the fundamental error of Gaetan's message.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2022, 05:54 AM   #235
eerok
Quixoticist

Just believe the opposite, don't expend any thought on the matter. Baa aa aa. I mean, sure thing.
Old 31st March 2022, 05:55 AM   #236
eerok
Quixoticist

Not everyone's as crooked as Putin.
Old 31st March 2022, 07:40 AM   #237
zorro99
Graduate Poster

You lie.
Old 31st March 2022, 08:42 AM   #238
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

You lie.
It is necessary to know a thing before you can lie about it. I suspect we are dealing with a poster who has little capacity for lying,
Old 31st March 2022, 10:55 AM   #239
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Which means when Putin's propaganda outlets say, for example, that his armies invaded to free Ukraine from Nazis, it actually means they invaded to enslave Ukraine to Nazis. Right?
Old 31st March 2022, 10:58 AM   #240
Axxman300
Philosopher

In Russia, this is the rule of thumb.

I have over 20 news sources available to me. Not one of them is CNN or the NY Times.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories