IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree to get rid of weapons?
Agree 22 32.35%
Disagree 46 67.65%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th July 2022, 07:38 PM   #681
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
When a country need goods or ressources they don't threat them with their weapons they just pay the price on the market.
Russia invaded and stole Ukraine's grain at gunpoint.
Old 27th July 2022, 01:42 PM   #682
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Oh right sorry, i forgot, no one in history has ever gone to war to gain resources.
Yes but it was a long time ago, before the United Nation, now the wars are caused because of weapon threats from countries. Now on it is no more acceptable a war to steal ressources.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2022, 04:09 PM   #683
sarge
Philosopher

Mod Warningstop with the off-topic and uncivil content
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:sarge
Old 30th July 2022, 06:46 AM   #684
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

When a country need goods or ressources they don't threat them with their weapons they just pay the price on the market.

And if said "goods or ressources" from the originating country just aren't "on the market", or you just can't afford them?

Yes but it was a long time ago, before the United Nation, now the wars are caused because of weapon threats from countries. Now on it is no more acceptable a war to steal ressources.
And yet that is still exactly what happens when you control a country by force of arms. You gain control of their "goods or ressources". Whether anyone else finds it "acceptable" or not. Heck, I expect those having their "goods or ressources" taken by force of arms never found it "acceptable".

Fine, let's says that someone is trying to gain control of another countries "goods or ressources" by force of arms. Just what do you think those that find such an action as "no more acceptable" should do about it?
Old 1st August 2022, 06:29 AM   #685
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

He's right. Remember all those weapons of mass destruction they found in that country that may or may not have just happened to have a lot of oil?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 08:54 AM   #686
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
He's right. Remember all those weapons of mass destruction they found in that country that may or may not have just happened to have a lot of oil?
If you consider it that way it is just one more reason to get rid of weapons. Beside that natural ressources on this planet should belongs to everybody or nobody no matter where you live.

Last edited by Gaetan; 1st September 2022 at 08:59 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 08:57 AM   #687
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

If you consider it that way it is just one more reason to get rid of weapons.
And all those poor people starving is a reason to get rid of poverty and hunger. The problem is not that it's a good thing to do, it's that nobody's ever come up with anything remotely like a workable way to achieve it.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2022, 12:23 PM   #688
trustbutverify
Philosopher

If you consider it that way it is just one more reason to get rid of weapons. Beside that natural ressources on this planet should belongs to everybody or nobody no matter where you live.
As I've told you before, convince your nation and your special friend Putin to eliminate ALL weapons for a decade. Once ten years of benefits become apparent, the rest of the world will decide to follow. Set an example.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 1st September 2022 at 12:43 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 05:21 PM   #689
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

That's a lovely idea. Unfortunately it bears absolutely no resemblance to reality.
Old 8th September 2022, 04:14 AM   #690
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

What a noble sentiment!

However, you repeatedly destroy your noble sentiments by supporting murderers like Vladimir Putin.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 04:53 PM   #691
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
What a noble sentiment!

However, you repeatedly destroy your noble sentiments by supporting murderers like Vladimir Putin.
He is just trying to defend his country against NATO aggressors.
Old 8th September 2022, 05:08 PM   #692
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You support genocide.
Old 8th September 2022, 05:42 PM   #693
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You support genocide.
A guy bother his neighbour and a fight begin, who is responsible?
Old 8th September 2022, 05:43 PM   #694
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

A guy bother his neighbour and a fight begin, who is responsible?
The guy who bothered his neighbour.

In other words, Putin.
Old 8th September 2022, 05:53 PM   #695
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The guy who bothered his neighbour.

In other words, Putin.
That's Zelinski and NATO leaders who began
Old 8th September 2022, 05:56 PM   #696
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's Zelinski and NATO leaders who began
...massing troops on the borders of Russia for a year before invading?

Nope, didn't happen. It was the other way around.
Old 8th September 2022, 05:58 PM   #697
junkshop
Graduate Poster

Please give evidenced examples of this purpoted NATO aggression against Russia.

Please note that any NATO actions that occurred after Russia stole territory from another nation don't count.
Old 8th September 2022, 06:44 PM   #698
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Just repeating Po-Po's blundering propaganda verbatim, is that the idea? I guess that's one way to go.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th September 2022, 06:52 PM   #699
Gaetan
Suspended

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Just repeating Po-Po's blundering propaganda verbatim, is that the idea? I guess that's one way to go.
I don't hear Putin propaganda, all i hear is Trudeau or Biden propaganda but you know what? I don't believe them. They can say they love black but they hate them punto final.
Old 8th September 2022, 06:55 PM   #700
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't hear Putin propaganda...
That's odd, since you repeat it word-for-word.
Old 8th September 2022, 06:56 PM   #701
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I don't hear Putin propaganda, ...
LOL, good one.

Wait, you're not serious, are you?
Old 8th September 2022, 09:46 PM   #702
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure it matters anyway. To admit to making up nonsense and lies rather than believing that of others does not make them better for their freshness. Lies are not like tomatoes or fish.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2022, 03:16 AM   #703
Gaetan
Suspended

The Prime Minister of Canada and the President of the United States can say that they are against guns but they are among the main exporters of arming in the world to facilitate the task of people who kill each other, you must not believe what they say but believe what they do
Old 9th September 2022, 07:33 AM   #704
trustbutverify
Philosopher

The Prime Minister of Canada and the President of the United States can say that they are against guns but they are among the main exporters of arming in the world to facilitate the task of people who kill each other, you must not believe what they say but believe what they do
Here is your solution... if you're actually serious about any of this- which I doubt.

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
As I've told you before, convince your nation and your special friend Putin to eliminate ALL weapons for a decade. Once ten years of benefits become apparent, the rest of the world will decide to follow. Set an example.
Get to work.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 9th September 2022 at 07:34 AM.
Old 9th September 2022, 07:36 AM   #705
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"I don't hear 2+2=5 propaganda. All I hear is 2+2=4 propaganda and when everyone in the room is saying the same thing, it's vitally important that I disagree to prove that at least I'm thinking for myself."
Old 10th September 2022, 10:20 AM   #706
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well then if this is the case, then I finally understand why you want all of the nations of the world, except for Russia, to get rid of their weapons.

Because if all of the nations of the world, except for Russia, do get rid of their weapons, then it would be much, much easier for Russia to take over the world.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 05:56 PM   #707
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That's a lovely idea. Unfortunately it bears absolutely no resemblance to reality.
The British spent centuries helping others share their natural resources with them.

[Eyes Canadian forests.]
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 15th September 2022 at 05:57 PM.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2022, 05:59 PM   #708
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm a little confused about the latest off-topic split, since I for one was asking some very pertinent and on-topic questions. But okay.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events