IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Closed Thread
Old 3rd June 2022, 04:31 PM   #1
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Trans women are not women (IX)

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
This is an interesting and relevant thread which includes discussion of circular definitions and the fallacy of appealling to borderline cases and anomalies - apparently actually called "the fallacy of the beard". I also like the "coastline paradox".

https://twitter.com/wokal_distance/s...88890397327361
Oh, nicely presented!
Old 3rd June 2022, 04:37 PM   #2
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And explaining exactly when they ought to be treated as the opposite sex, even when we know they aren't, is a complicated subject and there is much less agreement among us trans-exclusive folks on that question, but that doesn't seem like a topic you are interested in pursuing.
I'd also add that most of us Gender Criticals were previously quite willing to make accommodations on a case-by-case basis as the need presented itself. But we keep being told that we cannot make case-by-case decisions, that we *MUST* grant accommodation and access to *ANY* male who claims a gendery feel, and if we do not do so, we are transphobic bigots.

And when we're forced to choose between all or none, well, my answer is none.
Old 3rd June 2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Someone in another thread told me that gender identity is largely a matter of which public toilet you choose, that if you knew to choose the men's toilet then you knew you were a man

It didn't make a lot of sense to me but he/she said he couldn't clarify it or answer any questions about it and that thread and that I should ask about it in this thread.

Anyone know anything about this?

If not then sorry to interrupt but the two people who were pushing this theory were insistent I come over.here if I wanted to know more about it.

Yes, maybe they were just yanking my chain (so to speak) but they seemed very sincere.

Last edited by Robin; 3rd June 2022 at 04:55 PM.
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:14 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Someone in another thread told me that gender identity is largely a matter of which public toilet you choose, that if you knew to choose the men's toilet then you knew you were a man

It didn't make a lot of sense to me but he/she said he couldn't clarify it or answer any questions about it and that thread and that I should ask about it in this thread.

If not then sorry to interrupt but the two people who were pushing this theory were insistent I come over.here if I wanted to know more about it.

Yes, maybe they were just yanking my chain (so to speak) but they seemed very sincere.
For avoidance of doubt, please quote the specific question you want answered. Not a rephrase or reframe, but the actual question itself as it was posed in the other thread.
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Meadmaker

That's a new one.

For my answer, I would respond much as I did to Dani. Give me a definition, and maybe I can answer, but definitions are kind of sparse in this neighborhood. They are sought far more than they are provided.

Maybe more context would make it make more sense, but I'm puzzled given just the stuff you have there.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd June 2022, 06:37 PM   #6
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

There are relatively few situations when one is forced to choose between gender roles, i.e. the set of "behaviors...generally considered acceptable, appropriate, or desirable" for males or the set considered acceptable for females. Upthread we've discussed various sports leagues, changing rooms, sleeper cars, swimming or spa facilities, clothing stores, etc. but the situation which comes up most often in everyday life would have to be public toilets.

Last edited by d4m10n; 3rd June 2022 at 06:43 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 07:25 AM   #7
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Trans women are not women (IX)

Mod Warning I have moved some bickering to AAH, and given cards to a couple of posters

Try to behave with some civility
Responding to this modbox in thread will be off topic Posted By:jimbob

Mod Info continued from http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=356361

I tried to sort out what posts were not insults in the last few pages and gave up
Posted By:jimbob

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 4th June 2022 at 07:34 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 08:10 AM   #8
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Upthread we've discussed various sports leagues, changing rooms, sleeper cars, swimming or spa facilities, clothing stores, etc. but the situation which comes up most often in everyday life would have to be public toilets.
A quick addendum to this post. The everyday act of having to choose between behaviour considered socially acceptable for males (entering the men's restroom) and behaviour considered socially acceptable for females (entering the women's restroom) is generally considered oppressive by transgender individuals who identify as non-binary. This is why progressive conferences like Skepticon will go to some pains to provide gender neutral restrooms among other accessibility features. I imagine that agender folks (like Robin) would enjoy not having to undergo the ordeal of implicitly self-identifying whenever they need to take a leak.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th June 2022 at 08:14 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th June 2022, 08:40 AM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 6th June 2022, 05:02 AM   #10
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Interested in a skeptical take on the claims about puberty blockers just after 9:40 or so.
Old 6th June 2022, 07:29 AM   #11
Rolfe
Adult human female

We've discussed this several times in the thread. The claims are completely false.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th June 2022 at 07:31 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 07:53 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
For avoidance of doubt, please quote the specific question you want answered. Not a rephrase or reframe, but the actual question itself as it was posed in the other thread.
Hello Robin! Just wanted to let you know I'm still happy to answer your question, and do the best I can to further explain my views if you want a followup discussion, any time you're ready!
Old 6th June 2022, 08:24 AM   #13
Rolfe
Adult human female

I see that thing that never happens has happened again. And again, and again.

Trans-Identified Male Paedophile Avoids Jail After Being Caught With 125,000 Child Sex Abuse Images

Quote:
A trans-identified male paedophile has avoided jail after after a judge deemed that prison would make it too difficult for him to “cope” with his transition and anxiety.

Peter Selby, 68, was found with over 125,000 pieces of child sexual abuse media after a police raid in 2019, some of which depicted children as young as three years old. Selby is male but identifies as a transgender ‘woman.’ [....]

In recent months, there have been multiple instances of trans-identified male paedophiles being turned out into the community on suspended sentences in the United Kingdom.

In April, a 60-year-old paedophile who claimed to identify as a 5-year-old girl avoided jail despite having breached a long-standing sexual harm prevention order by approaching and kissing two children.

Weeks prior to that, another trans-identified male was spared jail on a suspended sentence after being caught with over 250 pieces of child sexual abuse media, some of which included toddlers being sexually tortured.

I do not know whether this should be interpreted as indicating a particularly pernicious propensity for abhorrent behaviour on the part of transwomen, or the opportunistic behaviour of sex offenders who have realised that claiming a trans identity may spare them prison entirely, and even if it doesn't, is likely to see them serving their sentences locked up with a bunch of women who can't get away from them. It doesn't really matter, because with self-ID there is no way to tell the difference, and in practical terms the effect is the same.

Last edited by Rolfe; 6th June 2022 at 08:25 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 08:38 AM   #14
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I see that thing that never happens has happened again. And again, and again.

Trans-Identified Male Paedophile Avoids Jail After Being Caught With 125,000 Child Sex Abuse Images

I do not know whether this should be interpreted as indicating a particularly pernicious propensity for abhorrent behaviour on the part of transwomen, or the opportunistic behaviour of sex offenders who have realised that claiming a trans identity may spare them prison entirely, and even if it doesn't, is likely to see them serving their sentences locked up with a bunch of women who can't get away from them. It doesn't really matter, because with self-ID there is no way to tell the difference, and in practical terms the effect is the same.
I guess evidence that this sentence was unusually lenient is supposed to be assumed?

The judge in the case cited a number of factors, including the offender seeking counseling after arrest, good behavior pending trial, an assessment by court officials that Selby was "manageable" in the community.

Is there any evidence that a cis person in a similar circumstance would not have received a similar outcome?
Old 6th June 2022, 08:57 AM   #15
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

We've discussed this several times in the thread. The claims are completely false.
I was hoping for a little more detailed discussion rather than conclusory assertion.

On the one hand, we have articles like this one, which claims "Puberty blockers, GnRh agonists like the injectable Lupron or the implant Supprelin, suppress puberty by modifying hormone release. Such drugs have been used off-label safely for more than 30 years to stop early puberty."

On the other hand, we have articles like this one.
Old 6th June 2022, 08:58 AM   #16
Rolfe
Adult human female

Honestly, it's in this actual thread and I spent a lot of time typing it all out. It was a pretty in-depth discussion.
Old 6th June 2022, 08:59 AM   #17
Rolfe
Adult human female

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I guess evidence that this sentence was unusually lenient is supposed to be assumed?

The judge in the case cited a number of factors, including the offender seeking counseling after arrest, good behavior pending trial, an assessment by court officials that Selby was "manageable" in the community.

Is there any evidence that a cis person in a similar circumstance would not have received a similar outcome?

Tell you what. You find a comparable example where a man who didn't play the "lady feelz" card wasn't imprisoned for a similar offence. Good luck.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:00 AM   #18
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Tell you what. You find a comparable example where a man who didn't play the "lady feelz" card wasn't imprisoned for a similar offence. Good luck.
Right, so you're just asserting this without a lick of evidence. As I thought.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:08 AM   #19
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I do not know whether this should be interpreted as indicating a particularly pernicious propensity for abhorrent behaviour on the part of transwomen, or the opportunistic behaviour of sex offenders who have realised that claiming a trans identity may spare them prison entirely, and even if it doesn't, is likely to see them serving their sentences locked up with a bunch of women who can't get away from them.
Neither of those would be a competent inference.

Quote:
It doesn't really matter, because with self-ID there is no way to tell the difference, and in practical terms the effect is the same.
Every self-id proposal I've seen requires a statutory declaration, so there's a very obvious way to tell the difference.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 09:16 AM   #20
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post

Every self-id proposal I've seen requires a statutory declaration, so there's a very obvious way to tell the difference.
The UK has invented quite a pointlessly complex problem because it technically allows people to officially transition and avoid any ambiguity, but in practice makes this a long and difficult process to complete.

The UK law requires trans people to have been living their gender identity for at least 2 years before any legal recognition is granted. This obviously creates an opportunity for ambiguity where an "out" trans person is still not granted any official status for years at a time.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:16 AM   #21
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Took me two seconds.

https://www.scdailypress.com/2016/10...ild-porn-case/

Here's a local case, if that matters to you. I had to use slightly different search terms, so this took me about five seconds.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/west-midlands...hibited-images

Last edited by mumblethrax; 6th June 2022 at 09:22 AM.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 09:29 AM   #22
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly, it's in this actual thread and I spent a lot of time typing it all out. It was a pretty in-depth discussion.
Quite sorry that I missed it, I was out of the loop throughout Lent.

Can anyone remember where the best systematic review of the evidence on puberty blockers was posted?
Old 6th June 2022, 09:41 AM   #23
mumblethrax
Species traitor

The UK has invented quite a pointlessly complex problem because it technically allows people to officially transition and avoid any ambiguity, but in practice makes this a long and difficult process to complete.

The UK law requires trans people to have been living their gender identity for at least 2 years before any legal recognition is granted. This obviously creates an opportunity for ambiguity where an "out" trans person is still not granted any official status for years at a time.
Sure, but when Rolfe moans about trans self-id, she's talking about the proposed reforms in Scotland.

The reality is that an insincerely motivated declaration in order to avoid prison would be pretty easy for the courts to suss out. Just look at when it happened.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:43 AM   #24
Elaedith
Master Poster

I was hoping for a little more detailed discussion rather than conclusory assertion.

On the one hand, we have articles like this one, which claims "Puberty blockers, GnRh agonists like the injectable Lupron or the implant Supprelin, suppress puberty by modifying hormone release. Such drugs have been used off-label safely for more than 30 years to stop early puberty."

On the other hand, we have articles like this one.
Puberty blockers are used very differently for precocious puberty compared to their use with gender dysphoria.
Children prescribed blockers for precocious puberty are prescribed them when the onset of puberty falls below the normal range, and are on them for a relatively short time, then resume puberty within the normal time frame.
Puberty blockers for GD are prescribed to prevent puberty within the normal time frame and can be prescribed as early as Tanner Stage 2 of puberty, which can be 10-12 years. Even in not prescribed until age 12, most children stay on them until the begin CSH treatment at 16, which is much longer than when use for PP.
If the child then goes off blockers, they will be undergoing puberty outside the normal time frame and not in synchrony with their peers. The long-term social, cognitive, neurological and physical effects of this are not known.
Almost all children prescribed blockers go on to CSH, yet before the advent of the affirmation-only approach the majority of cases of GD resolved at puberty. Puberty blockers may prevent the natural resolution of GD at puberty.
If children go straight to CSH treatment they will never go through natural puberty. There is no evidence that treatment with CSHs produces the same effects as natural puberty, - particularly the effects on brain development, which occurs in complex stages during natural puberty.
The claim that blockers are reversible is false, even if children do resume normal puberty. The effects of not going through puberty during the normal time scale are not reversible, and the long-term effects of delaying are not known, since it is argued that puberty is a critical period for brain development.

Last edited by Elaedith; 6th June 2022 at 09:44 AM.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 09:50 AM   #25
Elaedith
Master Poster

Quite sorry that I missed it, I was out of the loop throughout Lent.

Can anyone remember where the best systematic review of the evidence on puberty blockers was posted?
You might want to look at the Cass review, even though it is only an interim report. You can download here.
Old 6th June 2022, 09:52 AM   #26
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, but when Rolfe moans about trans self-id, she's talking about the proposed reforms in Scotland.

The reality is that an insincerely motivated declaration in order to avoid prison would be pretty easy for the courts to suss out. Just look at when it happened.
Canada springs to mind as the obvious test-case for such claims. Surely Scottish criminals are no more perfidious than their Canadian counterparts.

Self-ID by declaration has been the law since 2017 and changing gender is a matter of filling out a few forms.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:02 AM   #27
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Self-ID by declaration has been the law since 2017 and changing gender is a matter of filling out a few forms.
Seems to be province-by-province in Canada, similar to the US. But that's probably even better for answering questions like "Is there a surge of opportunistic trans self-identification among those accused of possessing child pornography when self-id is introduced?" if anyone is genuinely interested in that question.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:37 AM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

How did they miss the opportunity to title this thread installment Trans women are not Women (YX)?
Old 6th June 2022, 10:40 AM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
How did they miss the opportunity to title this thread installment Trans women are not Women (YX)?
I think they were going for a "Title IX" joke.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:54 AM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I think they were going for a "Title IX" joke.
Or maybe the Y was pictorially emasculated?
Old 6th June 2022, 11:26 AM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Or maybe the Y was pictorially emasculated?
Are Trans-Is Is, or are they just Ys cosplaying as Is?
Old 6th June 2022, 11:48 AM   #32
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Are Trans-Is Is, or are they just Ys cosplaying as Is?
I feel like there's an "I with a strap-on" gag bouncing around in there somewhere, but that's likely why I don't get invited to classier parties.
Old 6th June 2022, 11:55 AM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I feel like there's an "I with a strap-on" gag bouncing around in there somewhere, but that's likely why I don't get invited to classier parties.
"K".
Old 6th June 2022, 01:26 PM   #34
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
You might want to look at the Cass review, even though it is only an interim report. You can download here.
Thanks! Will do.

Puberty blockers are used very differently for precocious puberty compared to their use with gender dysphoria.
Right, but if they prove dangerous in the former case then surely they are at least as dangerous in the latter.

Even if not prescribed until age 12, most children stay on them until the begin CSH treatment at 16, which is much longer than when use for PP.
Right, and we seem to lack studies comparing CSH to natural puberty in terms of brain and body development.

Almost all children prescribed blockers go on to CSH, yet before the advent of the affirmation-only approach the majority of cases of GD resolved at puberty.
If this claim is true, then sending young people down the path of blockers followed by cross-sex hormones may be denying them resolution to their dysphoria in addition to denying them ordinary sexual function. I would think those who advocate for trans youth would be very concerned about this possibility.

The claim that blockers are reversible is false, even if children do resume normal puberty. The effects of not going through puberty during the normal time scale are not reversible, and the long-term effects of delaying are not known, since it is argued that puberty is a critical period for brain development.
Sounds to me like they are only partially reversible, depending on time frame and follow-on treatment.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th June 2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 6th June 2022, 02:18 PM   #35
Elaedith
Master Poster

Right, and we seem to lack studies comparing CSH to natural puberty in terms of brain and body development.
The Cass review mentions a study on page 39, section 3.33 'An international interdisciplinary panel42 has highlighted the importance of understanding the neurodevelopmental outcomes of pubertal suppression and defined an appropriate approach for investigating this further. However, this work has not yet been undertaken.'

This study is 'Chen D, Strang JF, Kolbuck VD, Rosenthal SM, Wallen K, Waber DP, et al (2020). Consensus parameter: research methodologies to evaluate neurodevelopmental effects of pubertal suppression in transgender youth.
Transgender Health 5(4). '

The article is about establishing the best approach to study the long-term effects of puberty blockade on brain development, given that we don't know anything about these effects in humans.

This article is the same one linked to on Science Based Medicine's guest article (by a pro-affirmation doctor) to support a claim that 'Studies on brain development have found no significant differences in youth on blockers'. This was pointed out several times in comments and never corrected. They literally don't care that they are linking to articles that blatantly contradict the claims.

Quote:
If this claim is true, then sending young people down the path of blockers followed by cross-sex hormones may be denying them resolution to their dysphoria in addition to denying them ordinary sexual function. I would think those who advocate for trans youth would be very concerned about this possibility.
There are good reasons to think that going through puberty is linked to the resolution of early-onset gender dysphoria, but activists will claim that the high percentages going on to cross-sex hormones just proves therapists are picking out the ones who would persist.
Moreover, they don't actually care anyway - if you press the point they will say it doesn't matter and you are being transphobic by implying that being trans is worse than being cis.
Old 6th June 2022, 03:01 PM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure that in every way that matters, being trans is worse than being cis. That is, suffering from gender dysphoria, and having to make a substantial effort to mitigate the distress (including hormonal subversion and extensive body modification), and still having to deal with a society that responds more positively to cis coding, has got to be worse than not dealing with any of that.

Kind of like how having BIID is worse than... not having BIID. Even if you do feel better after cutting off your legs.

On the other hand, if you just want to "queer" or "hack" the social constructs of gender for fun or ideology, I don't think that's any worse than playing along with them.

On the third hand (the one that the the third sex uses for third sex stuff), if you want to "queer" or "hack" sex segregation for whatever reason, then again we're back to that being worse than not that.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th June 2022 at 03:04 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 05:22 PM   #37
Emily's Cat

So... here's the thing. That group of drugs are NOT dangerous for precocious puberty, but they ARE dangerous as puberty blockers, and they ARE dangerous post-puberty.

They disrupt the body's production of sex hormones. Pre-pubertal kids don't have those hormones in any material amounts. Precocious puberty occurs when one set of pubertal processes occurs much earlier than normal - and occurs out of concert with the other processes. In particular, there are two major processes that make up puberty: the pituitary process and the adrenal process. The pituitary process prompts the body to produce sex hormones, and the development of mature sexual organs and some secondary sex characteristics. The adrenal process prompts the lengthening of the long bones and the development of leg and pubic hair. The two are supposed to happen in concert over a period of time, they're processes that depend on each other to operate correctly. In precocious puberty, the pituitary process starts early, before the adrenal process begins. And it leads to health risks when the two don't happen in tandem.

So for a person with precocious puberty, the blockers prevent their body producing sex hormones until the adrenal process begins.

On the other hand... if the adrenal process begins but the pituitary process does NOT trigger... there are a lot of health problems too. Bones density accretion is blocked, leading to fragile bones and osteopenia/osteoporosis. Cognitive maturation is derailed, as sexual maturity and interactions around romantic partnering are developed during puberty. The risk of several other illnesses (can't remember them all) is increased as well.

This is what puberty blockers do when they are applied to a child who should be going through pubertal development. It also happens with some other medical conditions, and those kids need to take hormone supplements to counter those risks.

Blocking hormones in adults is also a problem, as we're evolved to use those hormones as adults. There are a lot of late-age problems in women that are directly caused by the reduction in estrogen that we experience in menopause. Men experiencing a reduction in testosterone also have health problems.
Old 6th June 2022, 08:35 PM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
So... here's the thing. That group of drugs are NOT dangerous for precocious puberty, but they ARE dangerous as puberty blockers, and they ARE dangerous post-puberty.
What always struck me as weird about the claim that puberty blockers are reversible is that for precocious puberty, you don’t want the effects to be reversible. You want to absolutely prevent precocious puberty from happening, because it produces bad effects. And when you take a child off puberty blockers later, precocious puberty doesn’t resume. You have permanently prevented it. If the effects were reversible, it wouldn’t be much use for that treatment.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th June 2022, 10:44 PM   #39
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What always struck me as weird about the claim that puberty blockers are reversible is that for precocious puberty, you don’t want the effects to be reversible.
The effect is, like it says on the tin, blocking puberty. I'd think you would eventually want to reverse that.

Quote:
And when you take a child off puberty blockers later, precocious puberty doesn’t resume.
It's like you think the proverbial "early bird" is a distinct species.

Precocious puberty doesn't resume because precocious puberty is not a process. Puberty is.

Quote:
You have permanently prevented it. If the effects were reversible, it wouldn’t be much use for that treatment.
So you're saying that we aren't capable of literally turning back time? A thoroughly reasonable interpretation of what "reversible" means in this context.
Old 7th June 2022, 03:07 AM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The effect is, like it says on the tin, blocking puberty. I'd think you would eventually want to reverse that.
Puberty which happens too early doesn’t produce normal results.

Puberty which happens too late doesn’t produce normal results.

Neither of these is reversible. The effects of using puberty blockers is not reversible. The claim that they are is a lie, and a transparent one at that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events