IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abortion

Closed Thread
Old 24th June 2022, 10:53 AM   #1
esquel
Collector of Meteorites

Roe v. Wade overturned -- this is some BS

I don't normally post here, but this scares the crap outta me. I went to sleep in the US, and woke up in Gilead. I believe that this is the top of a greased slope, where rights are going to be under fire at an ever quickening pace (unless it involves guns).

Anyone have a good vetted list of places to donate to help people in trouble because their state has forbidden abortion?

Last edited by esquel; 24th June 2022 at 10:55 AM.
esquel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 11:28 AM   #2
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Planned Parenthood
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 11:42 AM   #3
Jimbo07
Illuminator

Originally Posted by esquel View Post
rights are going to be under fire
What women who protest abortion clinics don't seem to understand, is that their own rights are threatened, not just those of the baby murderersTM.

ETA: When you disenfranchise women, all of society suffers, but I guess we're just doomed to keep having to learn things the hard way, over and over.

Atoms in supernova explosion get huge business -- Pixie of key

Last edited by Jimbo07; 24th June 2022 at 11:44 AM.
Jimbo07 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 11:52 AM   #4
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You gotta love these morons on the court. Gun violence is a problem. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.

The number of homeless is growing. Resources are limited. And what do they do? Make the problem worse.
Old 24th June 2022, 11:57 AM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Many companies are providing abortion travel costs for their employees due to R v W being overturned including Disney, Microsoft, Meta, Zillow, Amazon, Dick's Sporting Good, Levi Strauss, JP Morgan, Starbucks, Apple et al.

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 12:05 PM   #6
Warp12
Banned

Last edited by Warp12; 24th June 2022 at 12:18 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 12:08 PM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Many companies are providing abortion travel costs for their employees due to R v W being overturned including Disney, Microsoft, Meta, Zillow, Amazon, Dick's Sporting Good, Levi Strauss, JP Morgan, Starbucks, Apple et al.

Great that they are doing that

Would be even better if they decided (as much as possible) to close any offices or manufacturing plants in any state that limits abortion. Sadly I doubt they will do so.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 12:09 PM   #8
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The number of homeless is growing. Resources are limited. And what do they do? Make the problem worse.

How so? I think this is just a drop in the bucket, as far as that goes. I don't see the number of homeless as being impacted significantly by this ruling.

Last edited by Warp12; 24th June 2022 at 12:19 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

I saw a couple of these, I didn't realize it was quite that wide spread.

Governor Dip****, of my home state of Missouri, is bragging that we are the first state in the nation to outlaw abortions. I'm contemplating whether it is better to fight or flight.
Old 24th June 2022, 12:51 PM   #10
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
How so? I think this is just a drop in the bucket, as far as that goes. I don't see the number of homeless as being impacted significantly by this ruling.
One more homeless person is significant if you're that one. These judges are insensitive selfish POS.
Old 24th June 2022, 01:32 PM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by esquel View Post
I don't normally post here, but this scares the crap outta me. I went to sleep in the US, and woke up in Gilead. I believe that this is the top of a greased slope, where rights are going to be under fire at an ever quickening pace (unless it involves guns).

Anyone have a good vetted list of places to donate to help people in trouble because their state has forbidden abortion?
Just wait. I give it less than a year before the SCROTUS outlaws abortion nationwide, regardless of state laws. The usual idiots are no doubt preparing suits against states where abortion is legal as we speak.
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.
Old 24th June 2022, 01:32 PM   #12
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You gotta love these morons on the court. Gun violence is a problem. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.

Voting rights across the country are being violated. So what do they do? Make the problem worse.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 01:36 PM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The first one...I forget exactly what it was called. But it was getting a lor more traffic then this one.
I don't know what the hell the mods are doing.
I think merging the two Roe threds is an excellent idea, but that is not what is being done here.
You know you could have just read the mod box when the threads were split. Some people were tired of being reminded how they voted in the poll. But mostly it made sense to have a pre-decision and a post decision thread.

Not sure why that bothers you. I'm fine with it.

Never mind. I see you are talking about one thread in US politics and one in social issues/current events.

I'm neutral but probably it should be one or the other.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th June 2022 at 01:40 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 01:38 PM   #14
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Just wait. I give it less than a year before the SCROTUS outlaws abortion nationwide, regardless of state laws. The usual idiots are no doubt preparing suits against states where abortion is legal as we speak.
And then there's C. Thomas, who wants to overturn same sex marriage and outlaw birth control as well.
One year seems awfully quick, but it's coming. So we get back to a thread like this one with a poll but on the subject of a federal ban?
Old 24th June 2022, 01:42 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's already being called "Dark June
because of all the crap that has gone down this month.
And we still have a week left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 01:43 PM   #16
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, they won't do that. The court doesn't have that authority. Roe v Wade established that one had a constitutional right to bodily autonomy that couldn't be violated by State's rights. The Constitution doesn’t mention abortion. For abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states would have to be made by bill.
Old 24th June 2022, 01:48 PM   #17
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

No, they won't do that. The court doesn't have that authority. Roe v Wade established that one had a constitutional right to bodily autonomy that couldn't be violated by State's rights. The Constitution doesn’t mention abortion. For abortion to be made illegal in all 50 states would have to be made by bill.
Oh, you’re expecting consistency with no hypocrisy?
Old 24th June 2022, 01:57 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A basic law of politics will come into play:when people find out the ballot box if useless as a means of protest, they will find other means..including the cartridge box if necessary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 02:02 PM   #19
Donal
Philosopher

Unless they decide that the 5th Amendment prohibits abortion
Old 24th June 2022, 02:16 PM   #20
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
I mean, if we get into full rights for the unborn...

14th amendment Equal protection argument that if the state bans the intentional killing of another they can't make an exception for the unborn.

That's sort of stupid, but, well...
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 02:21 PM   #21
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
I mean, if we get into full rights for the unborn...

14th amendment Equal protection argument that if the state bans the intentional killing of another they can't make an exception for the unborn.

That's sort of stupid, but, well...
It's not stupid if fetal personhood becomes recognized by the SCOTUS in some way.
Old 24th June 2022, 02:22 PM   #22
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

It's a 2nd Amendment issue. The right to own a firearm is being infringed by not being allowed to be born.
Old 24th June 2022, 02:39 PM   #23
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

How exactly do they do that?
Old 24th June 2022, 02:42 PM   #24
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

A basic law of politics will come into play:when people find out the ballot box if useless as a means of protest, they will find other means..including the cartridge box if necessary.
Is that a Scott Roeder quotation?
Old 24th June 2022, 02:58 PM   #25
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

J...
I doubt if he wants to overturn Loving.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 03:07 PM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.

Last edited by acbytesla; 24th June 2022 at 03:40 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 03:12 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Is that a Scott Roeder quotation?
Maybe, unsure of the source.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th June 2022, 04:22 PM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Now, nobody should ever say voting doesn't matter. Imagine how different things would be if Hillary had won in 2016.
And Gore in 2000. I wish this all the time.
Old 24th June 2022, 04:50 PM   #29
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Roving gangs of feminists, gunning down Republican legislators....
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 05:16 PM   #30
Pacal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
I doubt if he wants to overturn Loving.
Actually Thomas does think Loving was "wrongly decided". The guy is such a piece of work.
Pacal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 05:31 PM   #31
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Pacal View Post
Actually Thomas does think Loving was "wrongly decided". The guy is such a piece of work.
You spelled **** incorrectly.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 05:40 PM   #32
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Roving gangs of feminists, gunning down Republican legislators....
That’s a good start.
Should have begun long ago.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 06:08 PM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And Gore in 2000. I wish this all the time.
That's 2 elections that the popular vote went for Democrats and yet resulted in 5 SCOTUS judges. The only Republican appointee that was the result of a properly elected POTUS was Thomas.
Old 24th June 2022, 06:19 PM   #34
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

We wouldn't be living a freaking nightmare for one thing.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 08:19 PM   #35
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Roe VS Wade overturned on Biden's watch. Congrats?
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 08:34 PM   #36
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Oh, no. Trump deserves all the blame for this one.
Old 24th June 2022, 09:14 PM   #37
Lurch
Master Poster

Yep. A People gets the Government it deserves.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:13 PM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Look up the School House Rock, "Three Ring Circus" Video. It will explain the the branches of government. I could suggest some other books but a children's cartoon with catchy music seems more your speed.
Old 24th June 2022, 10:19 PM   #39
Leumas
Banned

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Oh, no. Trump deserves all the blame for this one.
Actually I blame the democrats who have had many opportunities to make it law and failed to do it.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th June 2022, 10:21 PM   #40
Leumas
Banned

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Yep. A People gets the Government it deserves.
Actually ... not in America... they get what the Electoral College and gerrymandering chicanery gives them.

Edit to add: and of course the SCOTUS itself when they decide who is president.

Last edited by Leumas; 24th June 2022 at 10:48 PM.
Leumas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics