IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Will Trump be indicted for Federal or State crimes?
Yes 62 62.00%
No 38 38.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th August 2022, 02:30 PM   #1
Hercules56
Philosopher

Will Trump be indicted?

Trump is facing possible indictment for Federal crimes. He's also facing possible indictment for election crimes in Georgia.

Will he be indicted? I say its 50/50.

What say you?
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 02:53 PM   #2
arayder
Illuminator

I hate to say it but it makes a difference what he gets indicted for.

If he gets it for January 6 it might well set off the ultra MAGA boys and start civil unrest.

On the other end of the scale is an indictment for federal tax crimes. "Hell, everybody gets in tax trouble. We ain't going to war over this.", the MAGA boys might say.

Next most inflammatory thing is a charge over the documents.

Then, up the scale, is an election fraud charge. This goes to the stolen election lie and would inflame his base.

One prosecutorial strategy would be to continue to engage Trump and subsequently nail him for making false statements, perjury, lying to a grand jury etc.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:00 PM   #3
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Voted no, hope I'm wrong.
Old 14th August 2022, 03:32 PM   #4
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I voted no, but hope to be mistaken.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:34 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My standard caveat is still in effect. He might be on a technical level, but not in a way that matters.
Old 14th August 2022, 03:36 PM   #6
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Trump is facing possible indictment for Federal crimes. He's also facing possible indictment for election crimes in Georgia.

Will he be indicted? I say its 50/50.

What say you?
I voted, now I am going to paint a Red heart on one of My buildings with The Blue Letters FBI inside it, and see how many Bullet Holes I get.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:36 PM   #7
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I voted yes. I'm usually what I'd call a 'realisist' vs a pessimist but in this case, it's too important not to indict the POS. There is ample evidence of his many criminal activities. And screw the idea that he can't indict him out of fear of the Maga idiots who resort to violence. Most of them are all talk and no action and/or cowards. And those that do resort to violence: throw the book at them with everything the law allows.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:43 PM   #8
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I voted yes. I'm usually what I'd call a 'realisist' vs a pessimist but in this case, it's too important not to indict the POS. There is ample evidence of his many criminal activities. And screw the idea that he can't indict him out of fear of the Maga idiots who resort to violence. Most of them are all talk and no action and/or cowards. And those that do resort to violence: throw the book at them with everything the law allows.
I have lived with that Violence since 2008, they haven't killed me yet.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 03:47 PM   #9
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Voted no, hope I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I voted no, but hope to be mistaken.
I voted yes and hope I'm not.
Old 14th August 2022, 03:59 PM   #10
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

I voted "No". It's very difficult to get a conviction against someone who can afford top lawyers. Especially with the crimes for which Trump is being investigated being fairly complex. If it was easy to get convictions against someone like Trump, he would probably already be in jail. Given the ramifications of Trump being acquitted, a prosecutor would have to be extremely confident of getting a conviction before putting Trump on trial.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 14th August 2022 at 04:00 PM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 04:01 PM   #11
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
I voted "No". It's very difficult to get a conviction against someone who can afford top lawyers. Especially with the crimes for which Trump is being investigated being fairly complex. If it was easy to get convictions against someone like Trump, he would probably already be in jail. Given the ramifications of Trump being acquitted, a prosecutor would have to be extremely confident of getting a conviction before putting Trump on trial.
Indictment is not conviction.
Old 14th August 2022, 04:37 PM   #12
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I voted yes. The DoJ is playing Game of Thrones here. They have to indict at this point. You don't just search a former president's home and walk away, not after you leave with boxes of classified information.

Last edited by Craig4; 14th August 2022 at 04:38 PM.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 04:44 PM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I voted yes. The DoJ is playing Game of Thrones here. They have to indict at this point. You don't just search a former president's home and walk away, not after you leave with boxes of classified information.
I think the magic word here is "nuclear"; he could have gotten away with any other kinds of documents, but not those related to nuclear weapons. Those are automatically a Very Big Deal. A line that can't be safely crossed.

Completely unrelated: I would not be in the least surprised if he dies of natural causes in the next few weeks.
Old 14th August 2022, 04:50 PM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

He should be. He won't be.
Old 14th August 2022, 05:15 PM   #15
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the magic word here is "nuclear"; he could have gotten away with any other kinds of documents, but not those related to nuclear weapons. Those are automatically a Very Big Deal. A line that can't be safely crossed.

Completely unrelated: I would not be in the least surprised if he dies of natural causes in the next few weeks.
I'd be okay if it was unnatural causes for that matter, as long as the end result is a permanent spot on his golf course.
Old 14th August 2022, 05:23 PM   #16
Hercules56
Philosopher

I think there will be some indictment
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:52 PM   #17
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
But being able to convict is a key factor in deciding to indict. Prosecutors generally don't indict if they think they can't convict.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 05:53 PM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't think they would until recently. The NYAG, the Fulton County DA, have him in their sights. Not to mention the January 6th Committee. For a year and a half the case against Trump has been building. The search really should be no big deal. But the DOJ crossed the Rubicon. Too much has been happening.

At what point is enough?
Old 14th August 2022, 06:17 PM   #19
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
The point that I was trying (apparently not successfully) to make is that prosecutors will be hesitant to indict Trump unless a conviction is almost guaranteed since there could be huge political consequences if Trump is acquitted. I believe that one promising investigation has already resulted in a decision not to press charges because the head DA decided that the probability of obtaining a conviction wasn't high enough.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:20 PM   #20
TellyKNeasuss
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
But being able to convict is a key factor in deciding to indict. Prosecutors generally don't indict if they think they can't convict.
Because of Trump's political prominence, I think that the standard for indicting him will be higher than for most other people.

Old 14th August 2022, 06:21 PM   #21
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I sure hope not. That might be all that's needed to ensure he runs again.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:31 PM   #22
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Absolutely yes. They would have never gone as far as they already have gone without an indictment down the road that was 100% bulletproof. I predict it will be close to a year from now, by August 2023. He is clearly a criminal and a threat to our safety and to our security
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:33 PM   #23
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Because of Trump's political prominence, I think that the standard for indicting him will be higher than for most other people.
You mean they may refuse to indict even if they think they can convict? I'd like to hope that not all of the four (that I recall now) entities going after him don't all have that attitude if any of them do.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:35 PM   #24
Apathia
Philosopher

I'll Be satisfied with anything that puts him out to pasture where he can't run for any office again and must eek out a retirement based on charity from what remains of his cult.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 06:37 PM   #25
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

If he’s indicted, I would guess it’ll happen on the state level …and probably New York.
Old 14th August 2022, 06:42 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Voted no. He won't be around to be indicted. When it all gets too tough and the walls close in too close, Trump will take his usual coward's way out: flee, throwing everyone else under the bus. To somewhere with a golf course, and no extradition treaty or taxes.

So plenty of his flunkies will get indicted, but probably not Donny.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 07:33 PM   #27
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Voted no. He won't be around to be indicted. When it all gets too tough and the walls close in too close, Trump will take his usual coward's way out: flee, throwing everyone else under the bus. To somewhere with a golf course, and no extradition treaty or taxes.

So plenty of his flunkies will get indicted, but probably not Donny.
Just curious, would he still be eligible for Secret Service protection if he did so? (fled to another country)
Old 14th August 2022, 07:42 PM   #28
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

True...but the DOJ and the NY and Georgia DA's seem very much intent of indicting and they understand the level of proof they have to meet.

As I mentioned previously to those who were nay saying Merrick Garland indicting: he knows what level of proof he needs to meet and he's getting all his ducks in a row which takes time.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 07:47 PM   #29
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Voting 'yes' gives one hope. I think some people are voting 'no' to pre-empt disappointment if he's not indicted. "I never thought he would be" is a form of self-protection.
Old 14th August 2022, 09:04 PM   #30
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just curious, would he still be eligible for Secret Service protection if he did so? (fled to another country)
Don't know for sure, but as he would have forfeited his US citizenship, I'm guessing not.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 09:06 PM   #31
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Voting 'yes' gives one hope. I think some people are voting 'no' to pre-empt disappointment if he's not indicted. "I never thought he would be" is a form of self-protection.
Although I voted no, even as a non-American, I would find it deliciously satisfying to see Donny perp-walked out of a hole in the ground in a Texas hovel, and dragged off into custody...somewhere like Gitmo.
Old 14th August 2022, 09:39 PM   #32
stanfr
Master Poster

Yes! For reasons previously stated--DOJ would not have gone as far as they did if they did not have really good evidence of crimes. While it will be dangerous for all to indict, it would be more dangerous to ignore.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 09:52 PM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Objectively, the DOJ has gone all that far: Mar-a-Lago is not, as Trump claims now, a private Home: from his tax filings, we can see very clearly that it is not, according to him.

At best, this was a search warrant executed at one of many Places of Business, highly targeted and very limited in scope.
If there every was a surgical DOJ intervention, this was it.

I don't see the DOJ on a Path of No Return.
Old 14th August 2022, 10:46 PM   #34
Lurch
Master Poster

Until a couple or few weeks ago I would have pessimistically said no. But the FBI op and Garland's recent presser have reignited my hope for some small dose of sanity to prevail down there in Crazy Town.

That sanity being the realization that fear of political consequences cannot stay the hand of justice if society is to prevail.

Everyone knows Justice is at least two-tiered. The rich and powerful enjoy a leniency the hoi polloi do not. And the office of the Presidency historically has been delicately treated as more like that of a king's throne. But it is clear that this POSOTUS has crossed the threshold of leniency in too many ways to ignore. To decline to indict would be fatally injurious to the very meaning of law in a nation that claims it as foundational. To brush off the matter might touch off a fury that could eclipse that of the MAGAts with an indictment.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 11:40 PM   #35
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Until a couple or few weeks ago I would have pessimistically said no. But the FBI op and Garland's recent presser have reignited my hope for some small dose of sanity to prevail down there in Crazy Town.

That sanity being the realization that fear of political consequences cannot stay the hand of justice if society is to prevail.

Everyone knows Justice is at least two-tiered. The rich and powerful enjoy a leniency the hoi polloi do not. And the office of the Presidency historically has been delicately treated as more like that of a king's throne. But it is clear that this POSOTUS has crossed the threshold of leniency in too many ways to ignore. To decline to indict would be fatally injurious to the very meaning of law in a nation that claims it as foundational. To brush off the matter might touch off a fury that could eclipse that of the MAGAts with an indictment.
Agreed. Especially this:
"That sanity being the realization that fear of political consequences cannot stay the hand of justice if society is to prevail."

NOT indicting him would have far worse consequences than anything the MAGA crowd could throw at us.
Old 15th August 2022, 02:09 AM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Yes! For reasons previously stated--DOJ would not have gone as far as they did if they did not have really good evidence of crimes. While it will be dangerous for all to indict, it would be more dangerous to ignore.
I don't think the only reason the FBI executed a search warrant was because the documents were there. I suspect the real reason is that Trump was doing something with those documents.
Old 15th August 2022, 02:40 AM   #37
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Don't know for sure, but as he would have forfeited his US citizenship, I'm guessing not.
If his sanctuary country is Russia or Saudi Arabia, then I’d say the odds of a USSS detail are mighty slim. Brazil - he’d probably be eligible, but his paranoia might lead him to send them away.
Old 15th August 2022, 02:47 AM   #38
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I don't think the only reason the FBI executed a search warrant was because the documents were there. I suspect the real reason is that Trump was doing something with those documents.
He might have been handing Alex Jones secret Documents for over a year now for all we know, maybe on America's Neutron Bomb Research.
Old 15th August 2022, 04:29 AM   #39
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
He should be. He won't be.
Seconded!

While I quite agree that Trump should be indicted for his most recent crime, however I seriously doubt if Trump will actually be indicted for any of this various crimes (including his most current crime).
Old 15th August 2022, 04:59 AM   #40
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by stanfr View Post
Federally, after the search warrant business at Mar-a-lardo, I can only see two possibilities...

1. Trump is indicted and goes to trial
2. Trump is not indicted, and Merrick Garland is forced to resign as AG

If Garland fails to gain an indictment against The Fat Orange Turd for at least one of the Federal crimes he is being investigated for, his continued service as AG could become untenable. This one is like a game of political "chicken", and as Captain Bart Mancuso (Scott Glenn) said in The Hunt For Red October.... "The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to flinch!"

Statewise, the New York investigation will be interesting. The 440 times he invoked his fifth amendment right against self incrimination could work against him. In a criminal trial, a jury is not allowed to infer anything from this, but in a civil trial, the jury can infer wrongdoing when a witness or defendant takes the fifth.

In the Georgia election fraud case (which is a criminal investigation) it seems that the Fulton County DA Fani Willis is determined to keep going after him Also, everyone thought the Manhattan case was dead in the water when it seemed that the Manhattan DA, Alvin Bragg was not interested in pursuing the investigation, but two days ago, a Manhattan judge declined to throw out the case against The Fat Orange Turd's family business and its CFO Allen Weisselberg. Looks like that will go to trial late next month.

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics