ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags newbies , welcome , welcome posts

Old 3rd January 2020, 01:49 PM   #3081
Masque
Student

Hello, all,

I have been a lurker in these parts since the days when Randi was active on the JREF board. Never got around to joining; now I have. No more getting "members only" when I click on links! Hurray!!

BTW, "Masque" refers to BBQ, not Red Death.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:54 PM   #3082
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Hello, all,

BTW, "Masque" refers to BBQ, not Red Death.
Well, I'm disappointed. Welcome!
Old 3rd January 2020, 02:35 PM   #3083
Masque
Student

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
Well, I'm disappointed. Welcome!
I suppose I could make some overly spicy tomato-based bbq sauce and name it "Red Death", then we'd have "The Red Death of Masque", probably enough to turn old Edgar over in his grave.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2020, 04:45 PM   #3084
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I suppose I could make some overly spicy tomato-based bbq sauce and name it "Red Death", then we'd have "The Red Death of Masque", probably enough to turn old Edgar over in his grave.
I'm in Baltimore, so I could keep an eye on the grave.
Old 6th January 2020, 11:19 PM   #3085
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
That sounds like a seller.

Welcome!

You could do another version called "The Black Death" to segue back to eleanor1 our new med student and andersonfd (Catherine) who joined on the previous page.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:16 PM   #3086
richardm
Philosopher

Hi there. Itís been a while since I posted here; I just drifted by on a sudden whim. Wonderful to see so many familiar names still here.

How have we all been?
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2020, 08:21 PM   #3087
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

We've been really good, richardm. Most of us. Thanks for asking.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 10:35 PM   #3088
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

It’s nice seeing familiar avatars.
Old 27th January 2020, 10:36 PM   #3089
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
Itís nice seeing familiar avatars.
Welcome back! Again, I say, this time in the proper place.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 01:10 PM   #3090
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Itís nice seeing familiar avatars.
My foot taps for you.
Old 28th January 2020, 07:42 PM   #3091
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Welcome back! Again, I say, this time in the proper place.
Thank you! Thought it might be appropriate to pop into this thread after the long absence. And see the new folk, too!

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
My foot taps for you.
And a splendidly synchronous foot it is. Hi!
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:13 AM   #3092
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Hello! I've been lurking here a while and decided to finally join. To be up front about it, I would be more of a general nonbeliever than a dedicated skeptic, but I find the skeptical coverage very useful. I would like to thank you guys for your efforts.
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:58 AM   #3093
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Hello! I've been lurking here a while and decided to finally join. To be up front about it, I would be more of a general nonbeliever than a dedicated skeptic, but I find the skeptical coverage very useful. I would like to thank you guys for your efforts.

Welcome StillSleepy, glad you decided to belly up to the bar so to speak. Not really sure of the distinction between a general nonbeliever and a dedicated skeptic but as long as you find the discussions useful, I'm sure many here appreciate your thanks.

Welcome everyone.
Old 2nd February 2020, 11:34 AM   #3094
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Welcome StillSleepy, glad you decided to belly up to the bar so to speak. Not really sure of the distinction between a general nonbeliever and a dedicated skeptic but as long as you find the discussions useful, I'm sure many here appreciate your thanks.

Welcome everyone.

I think a 'dedicated skeptic' is one who has completed all the relevant training, been initiated to the proper mysteries and ceremonies, taken the required oath, and been officially consecrated.

Oh, yeah ... and gotten enough box-tops for the secret decoder ring.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:10 PM   #3095
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I think a 'dedicated skeptic' is one who has completed all the relevant training, been initiated to the proper mysteries and ceremonies, taken the required oath, and been officially consecrated.

Ah that's it, I keep forgetting to renew my certifications before they expire, can never remember the secret handshake and that dang decoder ring never fits right.
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:29 PM   #3096
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

Huh, slacker. In my day we had to stand a night's vigil by a copy of Randi's Flim Flam.
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:39 PM   #3097
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Huh, slacker. In my day we had to stand a night's vigil by a copy of Randi's Flim Flam.

You aren't supposed to reveal the sacred mysteries and ceremonies.

Have you forgotten your oath of secrecy so easily?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:48 PM   #3098
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Back in my day we had a goat. But someone got annoyed and we had to get rid of it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 3rd February 2020, 04:35 AM   #3099
Wudang
BOFH

Back in my day we had a goat. But someone got annoyed and we had to get rid of it.
I helped curry that goat.

Bury, I meant bury. Honest.
Old 4th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #3100
Davidonapond2020
New Blood

I guess this is the thing to do as a new member, so hello all. I'm the new guy.

Name's Dave, from Rhode Island. For those of you not familiar with the state, it's the smallest in the nation, nestled in between Connecticut and Massachusetts. It's not part of Long Island, which for some reason a lot of people seem to think.

I used to have a membership here years ago, but lost my username and log in information, so it's a fresh start.

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
Davidonapond2020 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 02:13 PM   #3101
Davidonapond2020
New Blood

Where are the rest of the threads?

Hello, trying to understand how this works. According to the info on the index page for the various forums, there are in some cases, thousands of threads.

Why then do I only see about 14 or 15 when I go into one of the forums?

Thank you.
Davidonapond2020 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #3102
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

It's probably showing just the last month. Click on the forum you are interested in and then go down to the bottom of the page and see if you can find "Display Options". You can control the order and time frame there. Sorry, can't post a screen shot right now.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 4th February 2020 at 02:28 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:56 PM   #3103
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Davidonapond2020 View Post
I guess this is the thing to do as a new member, so hello all. I'm the new guy.

Name's Dave, from Rhode Island. For those of you not familiar with the state, it's the smallest in the nation, nestled in between Connecticut and Massachusetts. It's not part of Long Island, which for some reason a lot of people seem to think.

I used to have a membership here years ago, but lost my username and log in information, so it's a fresh start.

Looking forward to some interesting discussions.
You may want to check with a mod about this. It is a big no-no to have two accounts. I'd hate to see you shown the door over such a mistake.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2020, 08:51 PM   #3104
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

It's been so long, I've forgotten why we talk about goats. Please don't flame me.

Hello, new peoples.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:29 AM   #3105
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

It's been so long, I've forgotten why we talk about goats. Please don't flame me.

Hello, new peoples.
It's a new age/supernatural trope, that 'old goats' (disbelievers) have a negative impact on positive supernatural outcomes.

Welcome, everyone.
Old 10th February 2020, 12:01 PM   #3106
Davidonapond2020
New Blood

I'm not sure if I have two accounts, as that account hasn't been used in a few years or so, and I don't even have access to it. It's basically inactive. I have no plans or interest in ever using the old one no matter what.
Old 10th February 2020, 12:02 PM   #3107
Davidonapond2020
New Blood

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's probably showing just the last month. Click on the forum you are interested in and then go down to the bottom of the page and see if you can find "Display Options". You can control the order and time frame there. Sorry, can't post a screen shot right now.
That's what it was. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2020, 08:58 PM   #3108
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
It's a new age/supernatural trope, that 'old goats' (disbelievers) have a negative impact on positive supernatural outcomes.
I believe that it was a "grumpy atheist" image on one of the old parody sites the name of which I no longer recall.

- Randall Munroe
Old 11th February 2020, 09:22 PM   #3109
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Recently, the kids gave the word "goat" a new meaning, and I suggest we merge the meanings.

So that makes me a (the?) Greatest Of All Time grumpy atheist/disbeliever.

Yes, I quite like that.
Old 20th February 2020, 07:07 AM   #3110
lambent
Scholar

Smile

Hello, venerable members of the International Skeptics Forum!

My name is Alexander.

I am Russian.

I live in one of the Moscow districts.

I wish you health, joy and prosperity (I hope you are not skeptical about these things).
lambent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 09:13 AM   #3111
Wudang
BOFH

Welcome Alexander.
Old 20th February 2020, 10:34 AM   #3112
Cheetah
Master Poster

Hi Alexander, right back at ya.
Old 20th February 2020, 02:19 PM   #3113
lambent
Scholar

Smile

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Welcome Alexander.
Thank you, Wudang!

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Hi Alexander, right back at ya.
Hi, Cheetah!

Thank you very much.
lambent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 05:20 PM   #3114
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Welcome lambent. So nice to hear from Russia.

- Randall Munroe
Old 20th February 2020, 11:59 PM   #3115
lambent
Scholar

Smile

Welcome lambent. So nice to hear from Russia.
Thank you very much, arthwollipot!

Nice to meet you too.
Old 7th March 2020, 07:05 AM   #3116
Dystopian person
New Blood

Newbie here. What's the idea behind this forum? Never seen it before. I found it searching for a specific topic, which led me to a post on the forum here.
Dystopian person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2020, 08:33 AM   #3117
Pixel42
SchrŲdinger's cat

Originally Posted by Dystopian person View Post
Newbie here. What's the idea behind this forum? Never seen it before. I found it searching for a specific topic, which led me to a post on the forum here.
It was originally the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) Forum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_...nal_Foundation

I think it was originally started specifically for discussions of applications for the JREF Million Dollar Challenge, and claims of the paranormal/supernatural generally, though like with most forums additional subforums for other topics (and just general chat) were added as the members got to know each other.

JREF was more or less wound up when Randi retired, and a forum member volunteered to continue to host the forum, which was consequently renamed.
Old 7th March 2020, 08:37 AM   #3118
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Welcome! Please stick around and join the fun.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:43 AM   #3119
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Good evening.

Lurked round here off and on for many moons now, but finally decided to do something more. Some of you will know me under another name from other bits of the web, but that name was taken here, so a new name was needed.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 01:19 PM   #3120
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Welcome,CFK. What are your interests here?

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Welcome!