ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism , anti-semitism incidents , Belgium incidents , Belgium issues

Old 24th February 2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Belgian city of Aalst says anti-Semitic parade 'just fun'

This is really bizarre to me, to see such flagrant anti-semitism on display in Europe in this century. What is going on here? Clearly something more than "just fun".

Belgian city of Aalst says anti-Semitic parade 'just fun'
Old 24th February 2020, 10:06 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Meh, it's only childless leftists like me who are triggered by this. I find both the mockery of orthodox Jews and the cheering of fake Nazis in poor taste.

Real men hold free speech above all rights other than that to own guns (or gnus, I forget ) and would have no problems with it at all.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 10:21 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is Belgium the place they put all the people who were too rude for France?
Old 24th February 2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Can you puritanical sectarians stay away from a good catholic carnival?

As the article says, it's a doubling down from the previous year so what happened there must be taken into consideration first. wikipedia says:

Originally Posted by Carnival of Aalst
In 2019, the carnival group De Vismooil'n entered a float that depicted two Orthodox Jews with hook noses and beards, wearing shtreimels (the fur hats worn by some Hassidic Jews), standing amid bags of cash and guarding a safe, one with a rat on his shoulder. The title of the float was "Sabbatical Year", in reference to the carnival group's decision to save money by recycling elements of previous displays, with a pun on "sabbath" and the anti-Semitic trope of Jewish miserliness. The same figures had been used the year before, then representing crusaders, and one hook-nosed head had originally been created as a caricature of a local far-right politician.

Oh, how terrible. And that cost them their UNESCO world heritage status so this year we got this. Maybe if the Jews don't like to be parodied as whining, they should stop it and take it like a boss as the other mocked entities like the Nazis, the Queen, Jesus and even Saint Greta Thunberg apparently did.
Old 24th February 2020, 12:14 PM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Just so you understand what this is about, here is a video from the parade that happened yesterday.

late edit: The "anti-semitic" group comes around the corner at 7 minutes into the video, followed by what apparently is an "anti-osmanic" group and many other outrages.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th February 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:26 PM   #6
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post

As the article says, it's a doubling down from the previous year so what happened there must be taken into consideration first. wikipedia says:

Oh, how terrible. And that cost them their UNESCO world heritage status so this year we got this. Maybe if the Jews don't like to be parodied as whining, they should stop it and take it like a boss as the other mocked entities like the Nazis, the Queen, Jesus and even Saint Greta Thunberg apparently did.
Anti-semitism is okay because mocking Jews is no different from mocking Nazis and public figures.

Got it.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Is Belgium the place they put all the people who were too rude for France?
This is in the Flemish part of the country, so if anyone's to be blamed it's the Dutch.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's possible to make fun of jews without coming off as a anti-semite.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:44 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
This is in the Flemish part of the country, so if anyone's to be blamed it's the Dutch.
Whatever, Austin Power's Dad.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 12:54 PM   #10
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Evidence?
Old 24th February 2020, 12:57 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've got a book about humor in Nazi Germany. There's a whole chapter on jokes Jews would tell each other, finding humor in their grim circumstances.

Here's one example (my paraphrase, not verbatim from the book):

Two German Jews cross paths in Sub-Saharan Africa. "Shlomo!" says one. "I'm glad to see you, old friend! But what are you doing here in Africa?"

"Well," replies Shlomo. "I came here to seek my fortune. My plan is to hunt elephants and profit from the ivory trade. But what a coincidence that you are here as well! What's your story?"

"Much the same as yours," says Baruch. " I'm here in Africa to make a fortune trapping crocodiles and selling their hides. But what about Ezra?"

"Oh, Ezra! He likes to live on the wild side. He stayed in Germany!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #12
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I've got a book about humor in Nazi Germany. There's a whole chapter on jokes Jews would tell each other, finding humor in their grim circumstances.

Here's one example (my paraphrase, not verbatim from the book):

Two German Jews cross paths in Sub-Saharan Africa. "Shlomo!" says one. "I'm glad to see you, old friend! But what are you doing here in Africa?"

"Well," replies Shlomo. "I came here to seek my fortune. My plan is to hunt elephants and profit from the ivory trade. But what a coincidence that you are here as well! What's your story?"

"Much the same as yours," says Baruch. " I'm here in Africa to make a fortune trapping crocodiles and selling their hides. But what about Ezra?"

"Oh, Ezra! He likes to live on the wild side. He stayed in Germany!"

We all know that Jews like to make fun of each other. Can you tell me any scenario more harmless than this one, with a city nobody heard about except maybe for their centuries long anarchic carnival tradition ruthlessly mocking everything, where a street carnival group in financial troubles decided to recycle their hook-nosed figures as Jews making some jokes on stereotypes? Who exactly can make fun of Jews (if they aren't Jews) without "coming off" as "anti-semitic" if not these people?
Old 24th February 2020, 01:40 PM   #13
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

You're whining in this very post.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:42 PM   #14
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
You're whining in this very post.

Not even closely.
Old 24th February 2020, 01:46 PM   #15
carlitos
"más divertido"

A serious comment on this parade accompanied a video of people dressed in ridiculous nazi costumes and pippi longstocking braids as "nazi officers marching in Belgium again." Get a grip.

Nazi Officers Marching in Belgium Again:

Last edited by carlitos; 24th February 2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: video, not photo
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 01:50 PM   #16
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A serious comment on this parade accompanied a photo of people dressed in ridiculous nazi costumes and pippi longstocking braids as "nazi officers marching in Belgium again." Get a grip.

https://i.imgur.com/YuZkHLX.jpg

Do we see the "cheering of fake Nazis" here as The Don fantasized after reading the BBC propaganda, or is it something else? Will the ghost of Ernst Röhm be flattered? And how will the average Nazi watching Belgian carnival parades react?

Get a grip indeed.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:19 PM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A serious comment on this parade accompanied a video of people dressed in ridiculous nazi costumes and pippi longstocking braids as "nazi officers marching in Belgium again." Get a grip.

https://i.imgur.com/YuZkHLX.jpg

This looks more like taking the piss out of Nazis and of anti-semitism

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:28 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not going to pass judgement on what the Aalstenaar do for fun in their own city. But I'm sure as hell not going to try to excuse it or justify it, either.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:31 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Taking the piss out of something extremely offensive by presenting an extreme example of it is difficult to get right. Also, if your attempt at satire fails, "I was only pretending to be retarded" is almost never going to rescue it.
Old 24th February 2020, 02:38 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the Belgian PM had a Jewish Mother. Not a smart move, guys.....
And that probably drives the Ghost of Leon Degrille insane....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 24th February 2020 at 02:39 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:50 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Taking the piss out of something extremely offensive by presenting an extreme example of it is difficult to get right. Also, if your attempt at satire fails, "I was only pretending to be retarded" is almost never going to rescue it.
I agree.

I think they need to take lessons from Monty Python or Hale & Pace... they were all very, very good at making light and taking the piss of offensive ideas, keeping it funny, without being offensive themselves.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 02:58 PM   #22
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I agree.

I think they need to take lessons from Monty Python or Hale & Pace... they were all very, very good at making light and taking the piss of offensive ideas, keeping it funny, without being offensive themselves.

I think they are doing just fine without some "smart" advise from what is known as humour south central.

Having grown up a catholic in a village with strong carnival tradition only a cruise missile shot away from Aalst (and unaware of its existence before last year's "outrage"), loving it as a child, hating it as a teenager and being gone as an adult, I know you can't even begin to understand what is going on there in that parade. Adorable.
Old 24th February 2020, 03:34 PM   #23
sackett
Philosopher

I think they are doing just fine without some "smart" advise from what is known as humour south central.

Having grown up a catholic in a village with strong carnival tradition only a cruise missile shot away from Aalst (and unaware of its existence before last year's "outrage"), loving it as a child, hating it as a teenager and being gone as an adult, I know you can't even begin to understand what is going on there in that parade. Adorable.
Go sharpen the Pikel on your Haube.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 03:35 PM   #24
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

One thing going on is anti-Semitism. Excuse it or minimize it all you want, that's still what it is.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #25
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly they are not doing "just fine" when they are doubling down on an offensive stereotype. This is like a white person putting on blackface and doing a minstrel show routine and then complaining about being called a racist.
Old 24th February 2020, 04:10 PM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Clearly they are not doing "just fine" when they are doubling down on an offensive stereotype. This is like a white person putting on blackface and doing a minstrel show routine and then complaining about being called a racist.

They are doing just fine telling the UNESCO to go where the sun doesn't shine and after outrage-mongering just continue to do what they do despite BBC propaganda and your robotic "concerns" about it. Nobody is impressed, everybody is amused.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th February 2020 at 04:13 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 04:15 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
One thing going on is anti-Semitism. Excuse it or minimize it all you want, that's still what it is.
Yeah, but it's the "just for fun" kind of anti-Semitism. Not the serious, for realsies kind.
Old 24th February 2020, 04:22 PM   #28
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Yeah, but it's the "just for fun" kind of anti-Semitism. Not the serious, for realsies kind.

See #11,#12,#18,#19.

LOL
Old 24th February 2020, 04:34 PM   #29
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I agree.

I AGREE
Add Mel Brooks to that list....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 04:38 AM   #30
caveman1917
Philosopher

It's taking the piss out of the Flemish far-right nationalist party NVA in specific. They're satirical representations of various NVA politicians in Nazi outfits.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2020, 07:37 AM   #31
carlitos
"más divertido"

Shh, don’t tell anyone that.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events