ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2019 elections , donald trump , Kentucky elections , Kentucky politics , Matt Bevin , Mississippi elections , Virginia elections

Old 6th November 2019, 04:59 PM   #41
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A great evening last night in Kentucky and Mississippi for the Republican Party with 13 BIG WINS, including a Governorship in Mississippi. Congratulations to everyone!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 05:02 PM   #42
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't a republican president being excited about hanging on in Mississippi a sign they have already lost?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 05:15 PM   #43
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Isn't a republican president being excited about hanging on in Mississippi a sign they have already lost?

Nope. And he isn't really excited. He just keeps you busy.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:15 PM   #44
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trumptrash and Magascum are on notice. Real Americans are energized against their kind.
Old 6th November 2019, 05:26 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A great evening last night in Kentucky and Mississippi for the Republican Party with 13 BIG WINS, including a Governorship in Mississippi. Congratulations to everyone!
If Kentucky was a great win for the GOP, I wonder what a defeat would look like..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 05:36 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I know that both parties try to put as good a spin on a bad setback as possible, but, describing last night's events as a "great" outcome for the GOP is really,really, stupid. But then can we expect anything else.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:22 PM   #47
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Bevin in Kentucky is a total Alpha Hotel;but his request for a recanvass..pretty much the same as a recount...in the election is perfectly reasonable. In many states an election this close would trigger an automatic recount.
But his contesting it before the state legislature would be an outrage,a clear attempt to overturn an election. Even it it succeeded, it would be a disaster for the GOP Nationwide. It would confirm everything the Dems are saying about them.
I would not be surprised if some in the Nkational Party leadership are trying to convince Bevin not to go that route.
Last time it happened was in 1899,and one of the candiates was assisanited...

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th November 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #48
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I hope that all the people saying the impeachment would hurt Democrats feel real dumb right now.
I Am The Scum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 09:44 PM   #49
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If Kentucky was a great win for the GOP, I wonder what a defeat would look like..
They did get 6 of 7 elections, but at the same time, this is Kentucky. It might have Bluegrass, but the Red goes deep, Trump took the state by 30 points, there should have been no question over any of the victories. Bevin was polling 5 points ahead before Trump arrived (not 15 behind as Trump claims) and he lost that lead!

Bevin turned the Governorship into a referendum on Trump and the Impeachment, and discovered some really bad news.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:11 PM   #50
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I very much support Democrats gerrymandering blatantly and transparently wherever they can to provoke more challenges to gerrymandering at the Supreme Court: they can clearly state that what they actually want is independent districting commissions all across the country, and that the only way to show why they are necessary is to handicap Republican voters in their states until these voters put pressure on their party representative to change the rules in Congress, potentially via a Constitutional Amendment.
In the past decisions, it has been obvious that the current SC takes gerrymandering much less serious if it benefits the GOP.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:30 PM   #51
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump Tweets

A Republican won in Mississippi? Wow, what a BIG WIN.

Looking at the numbers, the 52 - 46 win was the narrowest victory by a Republican gubernatorial candidate since 2003, when a Republican challenger beat the Democratic incumbent by roughly the same numbers. All the elections since then have been Republican victories by roughly a 60 - 40 margin or bigger.

Then again, I suppose you can get some shine out of a turd if you polish it enough.
Old 7th November 2019, 05:54 AM   #52
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Just read a story that although Kentucky and Virginia get the headlines, the real bad news for Trump might be in a number of Surburban elections in Pennslyvania, where the GOP suffered severe setbacks.
Yup. Losing Bucks and Montgomery counties will happen, but the GOP has controlled Delaware county since the Civil War and Lehigh county for ages.

The GOP spent a lot of money on negative ads to keep Delaware county. They didnít seem very effective.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 06:40 AM   #53
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Bevin in Kentucky is a total Alpha Hotel;but his request for a recanvass..pretty much the same as a recount...in the election is perfectly reasonable. In many states an election this close would trigger an automatic recount.
Yeah, I have zero problem with him requesting a recount or the like. I would do that too given how close the results are. So close in fact, I assumed that it would have triggered an automatic recount. It's a long shot that it would change the end result, given the average change in vote counts after a recount, but I totally understand it.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 06:52 AM   #54
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Didn't take long, grumbling about "irregularities" in KY are now serving as pretext for Republicans to steal the election.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ys/4174103002/

The Republican state senate head is openly flirting with using KY law to allow the legislature to decide the election, which would almost certainly result in the losing candidate getting the office in direct repudiation of the voters.

Similar chicanery occurred in the KY gubernatorial election of 1899. The election stealing governor was assassinated and only served as governor for 4 days. Seems like an instructive example.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:57 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Of course it does. Just like last time.
A small difference might be that no one has illusions about what kind of person and president Trump is, and what kind of party the GOP is.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 07:01 AM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

Hey, for CE a Trump vs Gabbard race wold be perfect:no matter who loses, Putin wins.
Has there been any indication that Clinton's accusation holds any water?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #57
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nope. And he isn't really excited. He just keeps you busy.
Trump isn't that smart, comrade.

Old 7th November 2019, 07:09 AM   #58
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Didn't take long, grumbling about "irregularities" in KY are now serving as pretext for Republicans to steal the election.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ys/4174103002/

The Republican state senate head is openly flirting with using KY law to allow the legislature to decide the election, which would almost certainly result in the losing candidate getting the office in direct repudiation of the voters.

Similar chicanery occurred in the KY gubernatorial election of 1899. The election stealing governor was assassinated and only served as governor for 4 days. Seems like an instructive example.
Good opportunity for the Kentucky legislature to put on a good dog and pony show by selecting the Democratic winner of the election for Governor- thus proving how "fair" and "impartial" they are.
Old 7th November 2019, 07:25 AM   #59
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm torn. On the one hand, we really do need people in office who really believe in the principles of democracy. But on the other hand, when one side has completely abandoned reason and normalcy, we need to do something about them.

If they're going to complain about the changes being unfair, no matter how fair they actually are, then maybe we should just say **** it, and show them what real unfairness looks like. Maybe then they'll be glad to get back to real fairness.
...the GOP's voter suppression has been pretty transparently racist for the past...well, century really, but they've been standouts for the past 20 years in particular on outright oppressing black and Native American voters.

Y'all really think people will sit by quietly if dems decide to shutter voting locations, DMV offices, and the like in white-majority areas almost exclusively? Think the same GOP that screamed about the New Black Panthers intimidating white voters by standing outside a single voting place in a black neighborhood won't lose their minds and stoke even more white supremacist hatred than they've been doing lately?

Best to towards minimizing any such efforts. Reenact the VRA that the Roberts court foolishly gutted a while back, set up independent commissions for redistricting, and make them as impervious as possible to partisanship and racism at the state level. The rest will work itself out for the most part.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 07:27 AM   #60
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Good opportunity for the Kentucky legislature to put on a good dog and pony show by selecting the Democratic winner of the election for Governor- thus proving how "fair" and "impartial" they are.

And then passing laws that shift power from the Governor to the legislature, like other states with Republican legislatures have done after the election of a Democrat Governor.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 11:50 AM   #61
Armitage72
Illuminator

A very minor election that happened in Virginia is amusing.
The new supervisor for the Algonkian District in Loudoun County, Virginia is Juli Briskman, the woman on the bicycle who was photographed flipping off Trump's motorcade in 2017.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 11:52 AM   #62
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
A very minor election that happened in Virginia is amusing.
The new supervisor for the Algonkian District in Loudoun County, Virginia is Juli Briskman, the woman on the bicycle who was photographed flipping off Trump's motorcade in 2017.
Turns out flipping off Trump is a good thing.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 05:11 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't think she is a conscious, deliberate Russian Asset, but a lot of her foreign policy actions are very troubling and would benefit Putin.. Like her praise and cozying up to Assad.
I think she is just pretty naÔve, and a "peace at any price" person.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 7th November 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 7th November 2019, 06:28 PM   #64
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's just really weird how popular she is with the Alt Right. And other things, like how she tends to run down other Democrats and repeat Republican talking points.

Personally I'm agnostic for now. We'll find out eventually if she decides to run as a third party (or independent) candidate, after repeatedly saying that she would never do that:

Why Don't You Believe Tulsi Gabbard?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics