ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , protest incidents , US-Denmark relations

Old 24th August 2019, 12:51 AM   #281
dann
Philosopher

Conan now on Greenland, "getting mixed messages" from Greenlanders about their being sold to the USA: https://www.facebook.com/teamcoco/vi...9384222447132/
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 24th August 2019 at 01:23 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2019, 11:41 AM   #282
dann
Philosopher

Mette Frederiksen no longer nasty!

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump called Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen a "wonderful woman," two days after he canceled a visit to the country and slammed her for dismissing his idea of buying Greenland as "absurd."
(...)
In another sign of increased U.S. interest in Greenland, the Trump administration is planning to establish a consulate in the capital Nuuk in part of a broader plan to increase the U.S. presence in the Arctic, according to a letter obtained Friday by the Associated Press.
Trump praises Danish PM after calling her ‘nasty’ in Greenland row (politico.eu, Aug. 24, 2019)

+ Conan in Greenland: MAGA = Make America Greenland Also.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 02:56 AM   #283
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

FB_IMG_1566725004783.jpg
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 04:44 AM   #284
dann
Philosopher

How Donald Trump’s proposal to buy Greenland really went down in Denmark (The Conversation, Aug. 23, 2019)

Trump cancels Denmark trip after PM dismisses Greenland buy (MSCBC, Aug. 24, 2019)

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - Trump buying Greenland (1:00) (great Melania/Greenland joke!)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It’s no surprise that RT loves the story:
RT: Trump wants to buy what? Greenland? Really? (3:31)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The Guardian: Why Trump wants to buy Greenland ... and what the people have to say about it (1:00)
I AGREE

Last edited by dann; 25th August 2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:47 AM   #285
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

I don't know if it is about his mental health as much as it is about Trump being Trump. This looks crazy, and we'd all have been speechless had it been Bush or Obama, but he'll come up with some other crazy idea next week and we will have forgotten all about him trying to buy Greenland.

Then again, that's his MO, of course, do and say so many crazy things that he can always use the trolling as an excuse. "Trump failed to close an umbrella, tried to buy Greenland and cancelled a trip when the Scandis called it absurd, and said the Americans captured airports in the Revolution? He's just trolling, you stupid libtard".
Old 25th August 2019, 10:32 PM   #286
dann
Philosopher

Danish politician goes viral with video offering Trump 'great deal' on windmills (The Local, Aug. 23, 2019)

The Mormons are with Trump all the way:
Trump’s idea of buying Greenland is far from absurd (DeseretNews, Aug. 25, 2019)
Somebody should tell them that the world has changed quite a bit in the last 100 years.

ETA:
Quote:
Trump appears to feel an affinity for Scandinavia and the Nordic countries. Even if he doesn't really have Swedish blood, it's almost as if he feels he does. He is proud of their successes and disappointed in their failures, as if they were his family.
Now, if only he could buy a piece of Denmark...
Why Trump is so obsessed with Scandinavia (CNN, Aug. 22, 2019)

Last edited by dann; 26th August 2019 at 12:23 AM.
Old 25th August 2019, 10:55 PM   #287
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

What would be a reasonable price for Greenland?

Certainly more than Trump could get Congress to approve.
Old 25th August 2019, 11:24 PM   #288
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Danish politician goes viral with video offering Trump 'great deal' on windmills (The Local, Aug. 23, 2019)

Trump’s idea of buying Greenland is far from absurd (DeseretNews, Aug. 25, 2019)
Somebody should tell them that the world has changed quite a bit in the last 100 years.
Another place to send missionaries! I can just see 2 man teams of 18 year olds in black suits, ties, and white shirts on bikes riding through the snow bringing the word of Adam Smith to the Greenlandic Inuits.

Vi er bror John og bror Brigham, der bringer dig de gode nyheder!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2019, 11:39 PM   #289
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
What would be a reasonable price for Greenland?

Certainly more than Trump could get Congress to approve.
Even if a price were agreed and a deal done, would Denmark or Greenland see any of the money or would they, like many Trump suppliers, get stiffed ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 03:53 AM   #290
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

That's a syndicated column. The Post ran the same column.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #291
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Even if a price were agreed and a deal done, would Denmark or Greenland see any of the money or would they, like many Trump suppliers, get stiffed ?
I would assume that the trade was not with Mr. Trump, but with the United States of America. I expect there is still a difference.

Anyway, Greenland, or any other part of Denmark is not just real estate. Just in case someone is in doubt, allow me to explain the difference between real estate and national territory:

I could, if I had that kind of money, purchase a piece of real estate in, say, USA. I would now own it, but it would still be US territory. US laws and regulations would apply, and any people living there would remain US citizens.

However, I don't expect it is that kind of acquisition Mr Trump has in mind ....

Hans
Old 26th August 2019, 11:25 PM   #292
dann
Philosopher

You probably do have that kind of money: Foreclosed Homes As Low As $10,000.
Old 26th August 2019, 11:46 PM   #293
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I would assume that the trade was not with Mr. Trump, but with the United States of America. I expect there is still a difference.

Anyway, Greenland, or any other part of Denmark is not just real estate. Just in case someone is in doubt, allow me to explain the difference between real estate and national territory:

I could, if I had that kind of money, purchase a piece of real estate in, say, USA. I would now own it, but it would still be US territory. US laws and regulations would apply, and any people living there would remain US citizens.

However, I don't expect it is that kind of acquisition Mr Trump has in mind ....

Hans
True.

And that is why Private individuals or comanies can own real estate in another country, but nation states can't (embassies, military bases and such excepted). At least not that I know it.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:33 AM   #294
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
True.

And that is why Private individuals or comanies can own real estate in another country, but nation states can't (embassies, military bases and such excepted). At least not that I know it.
Oh piffle. What do facts have to do with anything? Don't you know there's a clause in the Constitution that says the president can declare new facts?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 07:53 AM   #295
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Had the USA actually bought Greenland, I wonder if Trump would have rounded up the inhabitants and deporting them as illegal immigrants?
Old 27th August 2019, 07:55 AM   #296
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Had the USA actually bought Greenland, I wonder if Trump would have rounded up the inhabitants and deporting them as illegal immigrants?
Only the brown ones.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 08:41 AM   #297
dann
Philosopher

True.

And that is why Private individuals or comanies can own real estate in another country, but nation states can't (embassies, [hilite]military bases[hilte] and such excepted). At least not that I know it.

There are some of those and there have been more that are now abandoned (inhabitat.com, Jan. 15, 2018). The Greenlanders aren't too happy about it. I guess the U.S. should have sent a squad from St. Thomas to teach them to play oil drums before they left.

I AGREE

It would be interesting to hear some Calypso-Inuit fusion.

I AGREE
Old 27th August 2019, 10:03 AM   #298
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Oh piffle. What do facts have to do with anything? Don't you know there's a clause in the Constitution that says the president can declare new facts?
Sorry. You’re right.
What was I thinking?

Old 27th August 2019, 10:16 AM   #299
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
True.

Through sovereign wealth funds, they can. But then it works just like any other investment, it doesn't entail political control.
Old 27th August 2019, 10:59 AM   #300
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

The NRCC (National Republicans Ceepin' it Classy) just made a new t-shirt.

"Support President Trump and his efforts to help America grow!”

https://contribute.nrcc.org/got-greenland-shirt/

Old 27th August 2019, 11:17 AM   #301
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post

https://i.imgur.com/f54TMEH.png

Note the absence of Puerto Rico.
Old 27th August 2019, 02:07 PM   #302
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Note the absence of Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico doesn't have the right whatever.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 04:40 PM   #303
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just more proof how subservient to Dear Leader the GOP has become.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 06:34 PM   #304
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

On their site, it says,

Quote:
Employment Information
Federal law requires us to obtain and report your occupation and the name of your employer.
Is there some law I haven't heard of? Or is this just blatant phishing like most GOP appeals for bucks?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 08:14 PM   #305
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
On their site, it says,

Is there some law I haven't heard of? Or is this just blatant phishing like most GOP appeals for bucks?
I was wondering that as well. I'm still not entirely convinced the graphic is genuine, either. Can't make that site line up with just going to the NRCC.
Old 30th August 2019, 10:56 AM   #306
dann
Philosopher

Blaze TV: Greenland is Ours, Deal with It Denmark:
I AGREE

And now, the Weather with Conan O’Brien:
I AGREE
Old 30th August 2019, 12:02 PM   #307
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"BlazeTV" is apparently not the same as The Blaze!
Old 30th August 2019, 12:10 PM   #308
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The big day is almost upon us. Good luck, Denmark! Here's hoping your democratic freedoms are not disrespected too much during the visit!
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 01:48 PM   #309
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The big day is almost upon us. Good luck, Denmark! Here's hoping your democratic freedoms are not disrespected too much during the visit!
Uh, didn't you notice? He cancelled it. After we told him part of our country was not for sale, he didn't want to come. And if I had anything to say, he won't be invited again.

Hans
Old 30th August 2019, 02:10 PM   #310
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Uh, didn't you notice? He cancelled it. After we told him part of our country was not for sale, he didn't want to come. And if I had anything to say, he won't be invited again.
Oh well. I suppose Trump can always disrespect your democratic freedoms from afar.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2019, 10:26 PM   #311
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

What's the insider scoop on the Poland visit and the meet-up with the leaders of Ukraine? What wouldn't they sell us? Was he trying to get the patent for pirogis? Borscht?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 01:24 AM   #312
dann
Philosopher

"BlazeTV" is apparently not the same as The Blaze!

No, I hope it's a parody!
Old 31st August 2019, 01:37 AM   #313
dann
Philosopher

What's the insider scoop on the Poland visit and the meet-up with the leaders of Ukraine? What wouldn't they sell us? Was he trying to get the patent for pirogis? Borscht?

In Poland, I guess he would have supported the anti-EU sentiment, but he might have ruined it by proposing to buy Danzig.
In the Ukraine, he'll probably tell them that Crimea belongs to Putin and the Night Wolves.
Old 31st August 2019, 01:59 AM   #314
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is still upset with Ukraine because they gave all the bribes to Manafort and Cohen instead of him directly.
Old 31st August 2019, 05:21 PM   #315
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is still upset with Ukraine because they gave all the bribes to Manafort and Cohen instead of him directly.
Trump: Manafort? I may have met him once in passing. Cohen? Never heard of the guy.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 05:46 PM   #316
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In Poland, I guess he would have supported the anti-EU sentiment, but he might have ruined it by proposing to buy Danzig. [/url].
Buy it? Why not just send a battleship on a friendship visit like that other guy?
Old 31st August 2019, 11:50 PM   #317
dann
Philosopher

There is going to be an Anti-Trump protest in Copenhagen tomorrow. Trump won't be here, but the Trump Baby balloon will!
One MP, a Social Democrat, isn't happy about it. He calls it 'bullying of an adult.'
Now the permit is there. The Trump balloon will be in the air above Copenhagen (TV2 Lorry, Aug. 27, 2019)
Old 1st September 2019, 12:10 AM   #318
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

There is going to be an Anti-Trump protest in Copenhagen tomorrow. Trump won't be here, but the Trump Baby balloon will!
One MP, a Social Democrat, isn't happy about it. He calls it 'bullying of an adult.'
Now the permit is there. The Trump balloon will be in the air above Copenhagen (TV2 Lorry, Aug. 27, 2019)
"Adult".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:59 AM   #319
dann
Philosopher

That's what the Trump Baby balloon is there for!
Old 2nd September 2019, 01:08 AM   #320
dann
Philosopher

Many political, environmental, anti-racist and anti-sexist organizations support the demonstration this afternoon in Dag Hammerskjöld Allé in front of the U.S. embassy, for instance:

We are all anti-fascists
Black Lives Matter – Denmark

Quote:
# MEDARRANGØRER / CO-HOSTS
350 Klimabevægelsen i Danmark
Black Lives Matter Denmark
Center for Dansk-Muslimske Relationer
Close the Camps DK
Danmark for Alle
Den Grønne Studenterbevægelse
Extinction Rebellion Denmark
Fællesinitiativet mod Racisme og Diskrimination
Fridays for Future Danmark
Greenpeace Danmark
HUMrådet på KU
LFS - Landsforeningen for socialpædagoger
Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke
Racismefri By - Odense for Mangfoldighed
Refugees Welcome, Danmark
Sex og Samfund
SlutWalk Copenhagen
Stop Diskrimination (KBH)
Velkommen til flygtninge
Venligboerne København
WOC CPH
Women's March Copenhagen
# ANBEFALERE / UNAFFILIATED ENDORSERS
SFU - SF Ungdom
Alternativets Unge
Kommunistisk Parti
Feministisk Initiativ
Internationale Socialister
STOP TRUMP DK

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics