ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th September 2019, 11:22 AM   #41
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I was curious who exactly this "Joe Gooding" was. Some sort of respected journalist? Long time political associate with some inside information?

Nope.... he's a blogger. Specifically, he has an anti-vaccine blog on wordpress. (And not even a well-designed blog either.)

That should tell you everything you need to know about Trump... he needs feels the need to reference someone who is an anti-science nitwit.
You mean like "climate change is a China hoax" nitwit Trump?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:22 AM   #42
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I was curious who exactly this "Joe Gooding" was. Some sort of respected journalist? Long time political associate with some inside information?

Nope.... he's a blogger. Specifically, he has an anti-vaccine blog on wordpress. (And not even a well-designed blog either.)

That should tell you everything you need to know about Trump... he needs feels the need to reference someone who is an anti-science nitwit.
It also tells me he's spending a hell of a lot of time reading what people on Twitter are saying about Trump. That must seriously cut into his time watching TV to see what people are saying about Trump. I notice he hasn't even had time for golf this week.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:22 AM   #43
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
There is no transcript for such phone calls because they are not recorded. This has been policy since 1974.

1974, huh? I wonder why the policy would have changed then.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:29 AM   #44
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
1974, huh? I wonder why the policy would have changed then.

my guess:

because Trump can't remember what he said five minutes ago, and even if he did would lie about it.
The State Department and everyone else engaged with foreign states needed a way to know what the sTrumpet had told them.
They didn't want to rely on the transcript the other country made.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:38 AM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You mean like "climate change is a China hoax" nitwit Trump?
Come on Windmills cause Cancer is better Trump Science.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:44 AM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Is there a single day that goes by now without a Trump scandal?
IT"S ALL FAKE NEWS! DEAR LEADER CAN DO NO WRONG!

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:45 AM   #47
Belz...
Fiend God

It's like during the Obama Administration. Scandal after scandal after scandal... Dijon mustard, tan suits, Michelle's bare shoulders, Obamacare.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:46 AM   #48
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's like during the Obama Administration. Scandal after scandal after scandal... Dijon mustard, tan suits, Michelle's bare shoulders, Obamacare.
A tan suit? Outrageous!
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:47 AM   #49
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Liddle’ Adam Schiff, who has worked unsuccessfully for 3 years to hurt the Republican Party and President, has just said that the Whistleblower, even though he or she only had second hand information, “is credible.” How can that be with zero info and a known bias. Democrat Scam!
"Liddle"? What is he, two years old?

Après le whistleblower, le déluge.
Pas certain de comprendre la référence.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:47 AM   #50
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Come on Windmills cause Cancer is better Trump Science.
Let's not forget 'beautiful, clean coal'.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:50 AM   #51
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
A tan suit? Outrageous!
Not nearly as terrifying as brown skin.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:52 AM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

A tan suit? Outrageous!
It's pretty rich that right-wingers are complaining about the Trump scandals being much ado about nothing when they attacked Obama and his family on such petty nonsense.

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Not nearly as terrifying as brown skin.

Old 26th September 2019, 11:54 AM   #53
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The complaint alleges that the POSOTUS abused power by using Intelligence Department servers to hide politically messy information.
That is not only criminal, but outright despotic.
I'm not arguing that the administration did nothing wrong.

I was only saying that the acting DNI has done nothing that appears sinister to me. He might have made some regrettable choices. Some folks think he shouldn't have contacted White House attorneys, for instance. So far, whether he made mistakes or not, I'm willing to say he tried to fulfill his duties best he knew how.

I have less confidence in the Justice Department's handling of the matter, but it's also deeper in the legal weeds where my intuition is shaky.

Trump's behavior on the phone call is beyond the pale. I've always loathed Trump, so I admit some bias here, but this sure looks impeachable to me.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 11:55 AM   #54
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
Après le whistleblower, le déluge.
Pas certain de comprendre la référence.
After this whistleblower revelation, I think there's going to be more that comes out. I'm hoping the gates open and more people come forward to reveal Trump's illegal actions. Cuz you know there are.
Old 26th September 2019, 11:57 AM   #55
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The whistleblower should sue Trump in civil court for damages - he would probably succeed.
No damages so long as he remains anonymous, I reckon.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:03 PM   #56
Belz...
Fiend God

After this whistleblower revelation, I think there's going to be more that comes out. I'm hoping the gates open and more people come forward to reveal Trump's illegal actions. Cuz you know there are.
When it rains, it pours, then?

Old 26th September 2019, 12:21 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Philosopher

When it rains, it pours, then?
Oui. Vous avez raison.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:23 PM   #58
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's like the spring of 1973, when you had a new Watergate bombshell almost every day.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:28 PM   #59
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Liddle’ Adam Schiff, who has worked unsuccessfully for 3 years to hurt the Republican Party and President, has just said that the Whistleblower, even though he or she only had second hand information, “is credible.” How can that be with zero info and a known bias. Democrat Scam!
Your own Inspector General found it credible, you moron.

Besides which, since we can now read most of what the whistle blower actually wrote, we can see that a hell of a lot of it has been confirmed, and in some cases confirmed by Trump and his toadies themselves, in complete contradiction to all the cries of "Fake News!" coming out of the White House.

Whoever this person is, they have far more credibility than anyone publicly siding with the Trump administration.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:30 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The full whistleblower complaint is here: It's only 9 pages, worth a read.

https://intelligence.house.gov/uploa...nt_unclass.pdf
Wow, a whole other charge about gaining access to the DNC servers? That hasn't been discussed much yet. Sounds like that was left out of the fake summary of the call. Or that was part of the manufactured charge against the DNC.

What's so not credible about that is if that stuff really was on the DNC servers instead of just in Trump's imagination, it would have been leaked to Wikileaks during the election or even after to interfere with Mueller's investigation.

"Where's the real transcript? Lock him up."
Old 26th September 2019, 12:33 PM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is that tweet what you meant to cite? It doesn't say that there was a transcript aside from the "rough transcript" we've received.
It does say there is a word for word transcript in the released whistleblower complaint. And that it has been scrubbed off the usual server and put on a more secure one inappropriately.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:35 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Besides which, since we can now read most of what the whistle blower actually wrote, we can see that a hell of a lot of it has been confirmed, and in some cases confirmed by Trump and his toadies themselves, in complete contradiction to all the cries of "Fake News!" coming out of the White House.

Whoever this person is, they have far more credibility than anyone publicly siding with the Trump administration.
Bernie Madoff has more credibility than Trump and his cronies.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:37 PM   #63
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

"Liddle"? What is he, two years old?

I'm pretty sure he referring to G. Gordon Liddy. But we know the moron can't spell.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:49 PM   #64
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Is there a single day that goes by now without a Trump scandal?

I'm guessing you mean aside from the scandal of such a person getting elected and holding the office of POTUS.

We have to suffer that on a daily basis as well.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 12:54 PM   #65
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'm pretty sure he referring to G. Gordon Liddy. But we know the moron can't spell.
Option (1): He used "liddle" to make it sound like part of a childish nickname, thereby infantilizing Schiff.

Option (2): He is referring to a figure in the Watergate scandal from 40+ years ago, one working for the Republican in the White House.

I gotta go with (1). Historic references from Trump are limited to Pocahontas and he learned about her from Disney.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:57 PM   #66
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Option (1): He used "liddle" to make it sound like part of a childish nickname, thereby infantilizing Schiff.

Option (2): He is referring to a figure in the Watergate scandal from 40+ years ago, one working for the Republican in the White House.

I gotta go with (1). Historic references from Trump are limited to Pocahontas and he learned about her from Disney.
Don't forget his favorite president was Jackson under whom the Trail of Tears occurred due to Jackson's Forced Removal policy.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:12 PM   #67
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I wonder what it means that Trump was willing to release the notes on this "We'd like you do to us a favor, though" call before he was willing to release his tax returns.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:14 PM   #68
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I wonder what it means that Trump was willing to release the notes on this "We'd like you do to us a favor, though" call before he was willing to release his tax returns.
That his tax returns reveal something potentially even worse. There's a reason he's fighting so hard not to have them released.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:15 PM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I wouldn't start trying to read too much into it. Trump's not strategizing or planning. He's probably hiding crap that he has nothing to hide and flaunting stuff he should keep hidden because he's pure Id, he just operates on whim.

Maybe his tax returns contain stuff, maybe they don't. But the fact that he's hiding them means less the nothing. This is a man who hides things nobody would care about but brings the skeletons from his closet out to meet you at dinner because that's just how his mind works.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:19 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I wouldn't start trying to read too much into it. Trump's not strategizing or planning. He's probably hiding crap that he has nothing to hide and flaunting stuff he should keep hidden because he's pure Id, he just operates on whim.

Maybe his tax returns contain stuff, maybe they don't. But the fact that he's hiding them means less the nothing. This is a man who hides things nobody would care about but brings the skeletons from his closet out to meet you at dinner because that's just how his mind works.
I totally disagree with that statement. Trump is pulling every string he can to hide those returns. You don't do that because there's nothing to hide and it's just a whim.
Old 26th September 2019, 01:29 PM   #71
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I totally disagree with that statement. Trump is pulling every string he can to hide those returns. You don't do that because there's nothing to hide and it's just a whim.
Sure, but what of plain EGO. How bad would it make him appear to have his income/losses made public? After all the grandiose claims of fabulous wealth?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 01:56 PM   #72
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sure, but what of plain EGO. How bad would it make him appear to have his income/losses made public? After all the grandiose claims of fabulous wealth?
Fake claims of grandiose wealth are a dime-a-dozen in the wannabe billionaire set. What he is frightened of is revealing how and where he got his income. Who were his benefactors propping him up. People who would not stop at using bone-saws if they were displeased about a few little exposures...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:04 PM   #73
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That could well be a possibility. His ego knows no bounds. Whatever it is, it's something that Trump does not want made known.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:14 PM   #74
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

In one of the other threads, someone pointed out that there is actually a second whistleblower who has reported to the House Ways and Means committee that Trump might have interfered with the audit of his personal tax returns.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=188

My initial thought was maybe "Trump just doesn't want people to see how poor he really is". But at this point I figure there's more to it than that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:25 PM   #75
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rod Blagojevich got 14 years for trying to barter a Senate seat for a donation.

Trump tried to use 400 million in aid to get a country to make up a false charge and help influence a Presidential election.

140 years, easy.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:32 PM   #76
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Quite possibly "The Trump Presidency: Part 17 and Last"!
If the momentum builds for impeachment such that the Senate has to consider it seriously, would they try for the 25th?

That could be very easy to get anytime, and would avoid inconvenient impeachment evidence coming to light.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:34 PM   #77
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Another Trump scandal that might have been mentioned already but has gotten waaaaaay too little coverage:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9117721.html

Egypt wanted to arrest a NYT journalist. The NYT asked the State Department to intervene, but Trump made sure that the US would not help the journalist against the Egyptian police state.
In the end, it took the efforts of Ireland to extract the Journalist.

Trump was probably thrilled to see a reporter from the NYT thrown in jail.
Just your common or everyday scandal. Meh.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 02:41 PM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
If the momentum builds for impeachment such that the Senate has to consider it seriously, would they try for the 25th?

That could be very easy to get anytime, and would avoid inconvenient impeachment evidence coming to light.
In another era a couple of senior Republicans would call upon Trump in his study, have a polite but frank chat about the obligations of a gentleman, and then leave him alone with a revolver.

However that would be unthinkable now; of all the things Trump's been accused of in his long and dreadful life, being a gentleman isn't one of them.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:43 PM   #79
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
In another era a couple of senior Republicans would call upon Trump in his study, have a polite but frank chat about the obligations of a gentleman, and then leave him alone with a revolver.

However that would be unthinkable now; of all the things Trump's been accused of in his long and dreadful life, being a gentleman isn't one of them.
Maybe "The Gentlemen" in the "Hush" episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer but no other kind.
And that is the problem. You have someone in the Oval Office who has no conscience, is only interested in his own self,thinks he is above the law, but is a good enough con man to convince his base that is the second coming.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th September 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:48 PM   #80
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Like someone said, with most Presidents, rather then formally invoking 25th a group of the party senior leaders would tell him in a private meeting it's time to go before he drags the party down with him.
Problem is Trump does not care about the GOP except as an instrument of his will. He is a pure narcissist.
ANd, anyway, the 25th was not designed to remove a President for corruption or wrongdoing,..that is what Impeachment is for..... but because he is unable to perform the duties of president due to physical or mental reasons.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 26th September 2019 at 02:50 PM.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics