ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 27th September 2019, 06:32 AM   #161
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't believe that is all that clear.

The Justice Department has wide latitude to interpret the requirements of such laws and told the DNI that the whistleblower law didn't apply here. The DNI is bound to follow their advice.

Whether Justice came to the right conclusion may be debatable, but there's an argument that the whistleblower law was for finding issues in the intelligence community and the president isn't part of that community. There's an argument to be had there.
The Justice Department is run by Bill Barr, who Trump mentions by name in the "Transcript" as someone Trump will tell to call the Ukrainian government to "get to the bottom" of the Biden allegations.

Did Barr know about the DoJ going through the process to make that determination? Did he recuse himself from the discussion? Barr might argue that the DoJ decision was correct, but he should not have been the one making that decision in the first place.
Old 27th September 2019, 06:40 AM   #162
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
It is, after all, the crux of the biscuit.
Old 27th September 2019, 06:51 AM   #163
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

I don't believe that is all that clear.

The Justice Department has wide latitude to interpret the requirements of such laws and told the DNI that the whistleblower law didn't apply here. The DNI is bound to follow their advice.

Whether Justice came to the right conclusion may be debatable, but there's an argument that the whistleblower law was for finding issues in the intelligence community and the president isn't part of that community. There's an argument to be had there.
Maybe he was bound to follow their advice, but then maybe he should have written his own complaint about how the DoJ handled the situation to assist Trump's cover-up.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:56 AM   #164
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The President of Ukraine said that he was NOT pressured by me to do anything wrong. Can’t have better testimony than that! As V.P., Biden had his son, on the other hand, take out millions of dollars by strong arming the Ukrainian President. Also looted millions from China. Bad!
Trump & Zelensky had another phone call yesterday:

Zelensky: Gosh, those reporters over there are off the hook.
Trump: Fake News! Enemy of the people!
Zelensky: I am behind you 100%, and I'll support your story.
Trump: That's beautifully perfect and honorable!
Zelensky: Thanks. I wanted to talk to you about much more aid.
Trump: I don't know, I'm in a fight for my life right now.
Zelensky: It's OK, I get it. Wouldn't it be a shame if someone in my administration released the real transcript. But, I'll do everything I can to prevent it, if only I didn't have those damn Russians distracting me...
Trump:
Zelensky: It would be a shame if... well, I'm sure you can imagine...
Trump: You're a strong and powerful ally, I'll do what I can...
Zelensky: You are too kind, Sir. Keep your eyes on the ball... Sir.
Old 27th September 2019, 06:57 AM   #165
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oui. Vous avez raison.
Oui, comme d'habitude.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 06:59 AM   #166
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The whistleblower whose complaint has led to an impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump is a CIA officer, US media report.

So Trump was right: they are a spy!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 27th September 2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: To make it obvious that it was satirical
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:00 AM   #167
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Fake claims of grandiose wealth are a dime-a-dozen in the wannabe billionaire set. What he is frightened of is revealing how and where he got his income.
Of course he is. He lost all of daddy's money and only stayed afloat enabling Russian money laundering. He definitely doesn't want that out in the open. I don't think his ego would take it.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:05 AM   #168
Belz...
Fiend God

Why? there's a perfectly good Dambusters movie that will be more true to the events, ethos and spirit of the time than anything Peter Jackson could spew up.
Yes, and it was called Star Wars.

Old 27th September 2019, 07:07 AM   #169
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump's version would be the Dum Blusters.
Or Dumb Lusters?

Old 27th September 2019, 07:08 AM   #170
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
So Trump was right: they are a spy!

That's got to be a violation of some sort of non-disclosure agreement, right? That's exactly what Trump has been looking for to stop the impeachment in the courts.

Quote:
Speaking after arriving at Andrews Air Force Base, Trump questioned if the investigation could be halted through court action.

"What these guys are doing – Democrats – are doing to this country is a disgrace and it shouldn't be allowed," Trump said. "There should be a way of stopping it. Maybe legally through the courts."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 07:10 AM   #171
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Wait until Donny finds out that even Hannity thinks this is "really bad".

“It’s Management Bedlam”: Madness at Fox News as Trump Faces Impeachment
Oh, if Fox really is preparing for a post-Trump world, it's all but over for him.

Quote:
Looking forward to Trump declaring that Fox is fake news too.
Except this time, he won't control the narrative.

Old 27th September 2019, 07:28 AM   #172
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I re'eally do'n't se'e wha't th'e b'ig is'ssue i's. Perfectly understandable to me.
Dude, that completely changes the meaning of those words!

Old 27th September 2019, 07:53 AM   #173
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
He can't release them, he's being audited by the IRS.

Speaking of which, a rumor is spreading that a second whistleblower is surfacing, encouraged by the first, and this one's IRS. I doubt it's true but I mention it now so I'll look super prescient and smart if it happens.
Another one from the IRS?

Or is this the one from before this particular whistleblowing caught the attention of much more of the media, where the complaint was that Trump and his lackeys had been taking... distinctly inappropriate actions to influence the audit.
Old 27th September 2019, 08:20 AM   #174
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
The SFX in Dambusters are laughable by today's standards. I hear Peter Jackson was inspired to do better when he saw the canyon scene from Star Wars.
Real Lancasters!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 08:27 AM   #175
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Democrats are now to be known as the DO NOTHING PARTY!

Sounding more and more like the so-called Whistleblower isn’t a Whistleblower at all. In addition, all second hand information that proved to be so inaccurate that there may not have even been somebody else, a leaker or spy, feeding it to him or her? A partisan operative?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 08:35 AM   #176
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That's got to be a violation of some sort of non-disclosure agreement, right? That's exactly what Trump has been looking for to stop the impeachment in the courts.
Trump has never understood the Constitution and the system of checks and balances.

He doesn't know that Impeachment cannot be stopped by the courts. They don't have that authority. Now, theoretically, the Supreme Court could make some farcical ruling but it wouldn't be based on the law. At which point the whole system will have crashed. Because at that point, the House would have to ignore the court and there goes 200 years of judicial review or cave and give up any power the legislative branch has.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 08:44 AM   #177
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Speaking of which, a rumor is spreading that a second whistleblower is surfacing, encouraged by the first, and this one's IRS. I doubt it's true but I mention it now so I'll look super prescient and smart if it happens.
Actually if its the same case I'm thinking of, its already been mentioned on this forum before.

The other whistleblower is claiming that Trump is trying to illegally influence the audits of his personal tax returns. That case actually came first (reported in July), and unlike the Ukranian case, was reported directly to congress.

Hasn't made quite the same impact (yet)... maybe because the case is a little more difficult to build (they're still fighting to get Trump's tax returns), or maybe because of the personalities of the people involved.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...65f?ri18n=true

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 09:47 AM   #178
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump:
Quote:
I want to know who’s the person, who’s the person who gave the whistleblower the information? Because that’s close to a spy.
You know what we used to do in the old days when we were smart? Right? The spies and treason, we used to handle it a little differently than we do now.”
https://www.latimes.com/politics/sto...s-almost-a-spy

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th September 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:49 AM   #179
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump should consider what used to be done to unpopular and corrupt leaders before he pines for the good old days.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:51 AM   #180
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump isn't saying he didn't do any criminal acts.
He's saying that he wants to execute those who brought his criminal conduct to light.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:53 AM   #181
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?
Old 27th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #182
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

If that perfect phone call with the President of Ukraine Isn’t considered appropriate, then no future President can EVER again speak to another foreign leader!

IT WAS A PERFECT CONVERSATION WITH UKRAINE PRESIDENT!
Old 27th September 2019, 09:55 AM   #183
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think it's a safe bet that Trump is unfamiliar with the history and the play about it surrounding that particular event.
Old 27th September 2019, 09:56 AM   #184
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Iran wanted me to lift the sanctions imposed on them in order to meet. I said, of course, NO!
Old 27th September 2019, 09:58 AM   #185
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Trump Tweets

Iran wanted me to lift the sanctions imposed on them in order to meet. I said, of course, NO!
"Look, a squirrel!"
Old 27th September 2019, 10:20 AM   #186
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Geee, I can't understand why Iran would want to go into negotiations with an incompetent narcissist who regularly lies and breaks deals without getting some sort of conciliation first.

It takes a special type of stupid for a president of the U.S. to take Iran (you know, the country that held U.S. citizens hostage for several months, and contributes to middle eastern terrorism) and turn them into a somewhat sympathetic figure.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:30 AM   #187
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Perfect is an interesting description of a phone call with a foreign leader...

Perfect because a specific policy goal was achieved?
Perfect because we made a new ally?
Perfect because Trump didn't commit a terrible faux-pas?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:44 AM   #188
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Um.

So was the apostrophe an accent ague? Is the totally not misspelled word pronounced "lid-lay"?

Shame on CNN for thinking that the apostrophe didn't make everything just right.
I was thinking the same thing! What on earth was that mark there for? Neither an apostrophe nor an accent aigu make sense. Wait...I'm expecting Trump tweets to make sense? What was I thinking?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:45 AM   #189
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Perfect is an interesting description of a phone call with a foreign leader...

Perfect because a specific policy goal was achieved?
Perfect because we made a new ally?
Perfect because Trump didn't commit a terrible faux-pas?
Perfect because he didn't get strangled by the phone cord during the conversation?
Perfect because he managed to hang up the phone properly without accidentally crushing his own fingers under the receiver?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th September 2019, 11:49 AM   #190
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Haven't heard from Melanie lately...
She stood by her man giving everyone the evil eye responding to the impeachment beginning.
Old 27th September 2019, 11:52 AM   #191
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
"It wasn’t bad, it was very legal and very good."

He also seems to be doubling down on the 2nd grade vocabulary.The dementia-watchers interpret these as signs of his cognitive decline. If not that, then what? Does he do this purposefully because he thinks he's communicating with simpletons in his base?
"Very legal"? Something's either legal or not; there is no 'very' legal. He speaks and writes like a child.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:56 AM   #192
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Perfect because he didn't get strangled by the phone cord during the conversation?
Perfect because he managed to hang up the phone properly without accidentally crushing his own fingers under the receiver?
He finally figured out not to push the phone buttons while the conversation was still happening.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:56 AM   #193
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Having not actually read the law, and relying solely on second hand information, I'll bow to your more informed opinion.
I still hear folks more informed than me saying that Maguire should not have consulted the OLC, that the law required him to simply turn over the complaint once the inspector general had said it was urgent and credible.

So, do take my comments with a grain of salt. I don't know that there's a consensus on whether Maguire acted appropriately. Thus far, he seems to have done what he thought was right I think, but this is merely based on impressions from some of his comments during the hearing and so is also up for debate.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 11:58 AM   #194
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
The Justice Department is run by Bill Barr, who Trump mentions by name in the "Transcript" as someone Trump will tell to call the Ukrainian government to "get to the bottom" of the Biden allegations.

Did Barr know about the DoJ going through the process to make that determination? Did he recuse himself from the discussion? Barr might argue that the DoJ decision was correct, but he should not have been the one making that decision in the first place.
I don't know whether Barr interfered with the OLC determination. I think I've heard that he was out of the loop on that part of the review but not on the question of whether Trump's call might be a campaign finance law violation, but can't say where I've heard it.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 12:01 PM   #195
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Perfect because he managed to hang up the phone properly without accidentally crushing his own fingers under the receiver again?
fixed
Old 27th September 2019, 12:22 PM   #196
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"Very legal"? Something's either legal or not; there is no 'very' legal. He speaks and writes like a child.
He speaks how he thinks clever people sound when they speak
Old 27th September 2019, 12:29 PM   #197
Paul2
Philosopher

I still hear folks more informed than me saying that Maguire should not have consulted the OLC, that the law required him to simply turn over the complaint once the inspector general had said it was urgent and credible.

So, do take my comments with a grain of salt. I don't know that there's a consensus on whether Maguire acted appropriately. Thus far, he seems to have done what he thought was right I think, but this is merely based on impressions from some of his comments during the hearing and so is also up for debate.
My impression, FWIW, is that he was using standard operating procedure: when in doubt, get a superior to make a decision that you're happy to follow, especially since he had been on the job for - what, 3 seconds?

But the whole issue of checking to see if executive privilege would be an issue doesn't matter, because the law says, just send the damn thing to Congress in 7 days. If the White House wanted to assert executive privilege, that's their problem.

Executive privelge could very well be an issue for blowing the whistle on someone *other* than the President if that person had spoken to the president about the issue getting blown (not the most artful way of saying that, but you get the drift). So the law doesn't care one white about Executive privilege, the DNI has just got to send the damn thing along.

So Maguire made a bad judgment in a job he never sought and had just gotten after a long period of great service. Can't get tooo mad at him, especially since Congress has the info now.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 12:40 PM   #198
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I was thinking the same thing! What on earth was that mark there for? Neither an apostrophe nor an accent aigu make sense. Wait...I'm expecting Trump tweets to make sense? What was I thinking?
Neither does a hyphen. So (echoing your post), WTF was that there for?

Last edited by alfaniner; 27th September 2019 at 12:42 PM.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 12:49 PM   #199
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP!
Old 27th September 2019, 12:52 PM   #200
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump Tweets

I AM DRAINING THE SWAMP!
There is zero metaphysical possibility that he didn't tweet that while sitting on the toilet.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics