ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , hillary clinton , presidential candidates , Russia conspiracies , Tulsi Gabbard

Old 18th October 2019, 01:39 PM   #41
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
She should make tutorial videos of how to put on makeup to look human.

She does:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 18th October 2019, 01:41 PM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
She should make tutorial videos of how to put on makeup to look human.
That would certainly be of some help to Donald Trump.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 01:41 PM   #43
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I get that Hillary Clinton will never be president, but what's the deal with putting her on a political ice floe? Do you really believe that now she's lost her last presidential election, her opinions and insights on politics in America no longer matter? That she no longer has anything of value or significance to say on that subject?
I thought that of her when she was running, I'm hardly going to grant her more importance now.
Old 18th October 2019, 01:49 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought that of her when she was running, I'm hardly going to grant her more importance now.
Okay, that's fair.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:24 PM   #45
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Tulsi has apparently said something herself about those smears in the recent "debate" - I'm sure many residents have watched it. Why not add the information? Better thread title:

Tulsi Gabbard calls the "Russian asset" smears against her "completely despicable"

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 18th October 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:35 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now Tulsi is calling CLinton "Queen Of Warmongers".

This is becoming "All About Eve".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:35 PM   #47
ahhell
Master Poster

What ever you think of Clinton or the suggestion that Gabbard and Stein are being used by the Russian, I hope you'll admit, this isn't going to do Clinton any good. It makes her seem a bit conspiratorial.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:48 PM   #48
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now Tulsi is calling CLinton "Queen Of Warmongers".

This is becoming "All About Eve".

Killary under Obama's eyes has been responsible for the major catastrophes we have to cope with today when she was Secretary of State from 2008-2012. The whole fake "Arab Spring" is on her watch, with the destruction of Libya, the recycling of those Jihadist freaks in the war on Syria coordinated by that guy who was killed in Benghazi, Egypt where the outcome of the color revolution was "corrected" when a Muslim Brotherhood guy was the choice of the people, Yemen where the "color revolution" succeeded with the old "skilled" dictator out and a new total Saudi puppet in which has led to the greatest human suffering in this century, far greater than in Libya and Syria, and all we got from her was a "we came, we saw, he died HAHAHA" psychopathic moment. This despicable person earned her "Killary" nickname while she was in power, even if all of the older legends about "Clinton death count" were wrong - and I doubt that they are.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 18th October 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:53 PM   #49
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

She did talk about a vast right-wing conspiracy some years ago. Is it paranoia when they really are out to get you?

Mostly stories like these make me wonder what tricks the Dems have up their sleeves.

So should the candidates do any back-pedaling?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 02:54 PM   #50
applecorped
Suspended

Hillary is in free fall, it must have been that thermite sandwich
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:02 PM   #51
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

She's ruled out a third party run.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/29/polit...ntv/index.html

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:04 PM   #52
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
What ever you think of Clinton or the suggestion that Gabbard and Stein are being used by the Russian, I hope you'll admit, this isn't going to do Clinton any good. It makes her seem a bit conspiratorial.
Will probably end up making neither Clinton or Gabbard look good now the Gabbard has fired back with a personal attack. Mud usually flies in both directions.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 18th October 2019 at 03:07 PM.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:05 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
She's ruled out a third party run.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/29/polit...ntv/index.html
Which was the smart thing for her to do, but she might have slipped up in the personal attack on Hilary. Costs her the high ground now they are on the same level.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:06 PM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
She did talk about a vast right-wing conspiracy some years ago. Is it paranoia when they really are out to get you?

Mostly stories like these make me wonder what tricks the Dems have up their sleeves.

So should the candidates do any back-pedaling?
If they made a mistake, yes.
I think people are sick and tired of Donnie's whole "Never admit you made a mistake, and always double down instead" philosophy and want to hear politicians who admit they are not infallible.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:08 PM   #55
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Hahaha, this is what Tulsi actually tweeted:

Originally Posted by Tulsi Gabbard
Great! Thank you @HillaryClinton. You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. From the day I announced my candidacy, there has been a ...

... concerted campaign to destroy my reputation. We wondered who was behind it and why. Now we know — it was always you, through your proxies and ...

... powerful allies in the corporate media and war machine, afraid of the threat I pose.

It’s now clear that this primary is between you and me. Don’t cowardly hide behind your proxies. Join the race directly.

LOL this is bold and what she should do now. Even braindead talking heads on CNN from which Captain America might have gotten the news are quite uncomfortable.

This is the perfect moment for Bernie to move out of the way and endorse Tulsi.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 18th October 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:09 PM   #56
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I skimmed the linked CNN article a couple times, but didn't see a personal attack. What was it?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 03:19 PM   #57
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I skimmed the linked CNN article a couple times, but didn't see a personal attack. What was it?

Do you mean my CNN video? They doubted Killary's wisdom which is daring for the Clinton News Network and, like I said, seems to have made them uncomfortable.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:51 PM   #58
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If I were the DNC chairman I would want them both to STFU about this.. It's not making the party look good.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 03:56 PM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If I were the DNC chairman I would want them both to STFU about this.. It's not making the party look good.
I'll put you down under "Hillary Clinton still matters."
Old 18th October 2019, 04:01 PM   #60
llwyd
Muse

I would just say whatevs, this little quarrel won't change anything. It's just another part of the largely boring phoney war before the primaries where actual people cast actual votes. And none will go to Hillary and only pitifully few to Gabbard.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 05:20 PM   #61
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
and....that's about as far as most people can get into your post.
You should really keep reading. How else will you find out what Vlad wants you to think?

CE has been heavily favoring Gabbard for some time now. I don't know how witting of an asset Tulsi is, but she's definitely Moscow's candidate.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 05:32 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You should really keep reading. How else will you find out what Vlad wants you to think?

CE has been heavily favoring Gabbard for some time now. I don't know how witting of an asset Tulsi is, but she's definitely Moscow's candidate.

I don't like Tulsi very much, but just because CE likes her is no sing she's Moscow's Canidate.
Gabbard's problem is she is trying to grab the niche that belongs to Sanders, and is failing miserably.
ANyway, this whole dust up will provide some entertainment value but will be a one week wonder. Still, not a good look for the party.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 06:01 PM   #63
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think "personification of rot in the Democratic party" qualifies.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th October 2019, 06:02 PM   #64
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently that isn't quite the dumbest thing Hillary said in that interview:

Quote:
“Every, you know, every Hackathon that happens, you know, 10-year-olds are hacking our voting systems and the networks that connect them.”
And then they get hired by Jukt Micronics? Ironically, another Democrat made a similar claim and got smacked down by Politifact recently.

Quote:
"We have to take seriously the security of our elections because of the vulnerabilities that exist — still, now — that really have the ability to undermine our democracy. There’s a hacking conference that’s held every year in Las Vegas, where I think a 14- or 15-year old-girl from Florida hacked into a replica of Florida’s election system in less than 15 minutes."
The irony is that Tulsi Gabbard made that claim. Politifact explains:

Quote:
First, there wasn’t hacking into a replica of the election system — but rather a website made to look like Florida’s Secretary of State website that reports preliminary election results. In other words, not the system that receives and counts actual votes.

And second, what was hacked into was not even a replica — as in an exact copy of the website — because it did not contain the proprietary security features that the Secretary of State website has.

As the National Association of Secretaries of State said at the time:

"While it is undeniable websites are vulnerable to hackers, election-night reporting websites are only used to publish preliminary, unofficial results for the public and the media. The sites are not connected to vote counting equipment and could never change actual election results."
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:18 PM   #65
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Tulsi is used by the Kremlin as a propaganda tool - primarily for Domestic purposes: she is hyped as an American Democrat not in line with the anti-Russia sentiment of the rest of the party.
This is supposed to show Russians that there is no consensus about Russian Interference in 2016 and that the rest of the Dems are insane.
Whether Tulsi might be useful to help Trump win in 2020 is really not that important for the Russian propaganda machine.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:40 PM   #66
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I don't like Tulsi very much, but just because CE likes her is no sing she's Moscow's Canidate.
Gabbard's problem is she is trying to grab the niche that belongs to Sanders, and is failing miserably.
ANyway, this whole dust up will provide some entertainment value but will be a one week wonder. Still, not a good look for the party.
I don't think she's going for Bernie's portfolio.

Her bizarre threats to 'boycott' the last debate when it looked like she wasn't going to make it that evaporated when she made the cutoff sure makes her seem the kind to hold a grudge, and be a poor sport. Then in the debate the language of grievance she kept using around criticisms of her supported that view.

And finally her staggering labeling of all the conflicts she cited as 'regime change wars', which is also factually wrong, and her odd lashing out about the media, had shades of Trump arguments.

Now I'm not saying she's siding with Russia, nor that she's as bad as Trump, nor that she shouldn't be at the debates. I am listing reasons why she would be attractive to Russian ops to attack the US again.

I thought Pete's counter to her might have been the best part of the last debate.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 06:54 PM   #67
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Tulsi is used by the Kremlin as a propaganda tool - primarily for Domestic purposes: she is hyped as an American Democrat not in line with the anti-Russia sentiment of the rest of the party.
This is supposed to show Russians that there is no consensus about Russian Interference in 2016 and that the rest of the Dems are insane.
Whether Tulsi might be useful to help Trump win in 2020 is really not that important for the Russian propaganda machine.
Literally anyone who counters anti-Russian hysteria will be "useful" to Russia.

I know Russia engages in dishonest propaganda, but so does the blob, and honestly, the blob's propaganda is a lot kookier, more dishonest, and frankly dangerous.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:54 PM   #68
Venom
Illuminator

I like Tulsi but my respect for her is slipping.

It's one thing to say we shouldn't intervene in Syria. It's quite another to imply that the Syrian opposition is monolithic and just all terrorist groups. That's license to bomb indiscriminately, as the regime and it's Russian backers have done for years in the region.

I generally get annoyed when people feel the need to preface their comments by saying they don't always agree with X before condemning X's enemy Y, but Gabbard could try a little harder to shake these rabid anti-Americans and Russophiles off of her.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 07:59 PM   #69
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's 2019, does anybody care what Hillary Clinton says about anything?
Gabbard did.
Old 18th October 2019, 08:21 PM   #70
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Gabbard seems to have the rhetoric down cold:
Quote:
Gabbard Tweets -
You, the queen of warmongers, embodiment of corruption, and personification of the rot that has sickened the Democratic Party for so long, have finally come out from behind the curtain. Link
At the recent Democratic debate Gabbard said:
Quote:
Just two days ago, The New York Times put out an article saying that I’m a Russian asset and an Assad apologist, and all these different smears.
The Times denied that. The Times article Ms. Gabbard referenced, however, notes that the congresswoman is a frequent topic of Russian state news media; there is no inference that she is a Russian asset. In that article the Times actually reported there was NO evidence of any ties between Gabbard and the Russians:
Quote:
An independent analysis of the Russian news media found that RT, the Kremlin-backed news agency, mentioned Ms. Gabbard frequently for a candidate polling in single digits, according to data collected by the Alliance for Securing Democracy, a group that seeks to track and expose efforts by authoritarian regimes to undermine democratic elections. Disinformation experts have also pointed to instances of suspicious activity surrounding Ms. Gabbard’s campaign — in particular, a Twitter hashtag, #KamalaHarrisDestroyed, that trended among Ms. Gabbard’s supporters after the first Democratic debate, and appeared to be amplified by a coordinated network of bot-like accounts — but there is no evidence of coordination between these networks and the campaign itself. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 08:35 PM   #71
Bob001
Philosopher

For someone as politically experienced as Clinton, she demonstrates over and over that she has a tin ear, her comment about "basket of deplorables" being exhibit no. 1. Calling Gabbard a "Russian asset" is basically like accusing her of willful treason. It would have been less controversial and more effective if Clinton had said Gabbard was well-intentioned but too inexperienced to understand the issues, that her position was the same as the Russians', etc. Clinton's real point was that the Russians are trying to screw with the election, and taking a shot at a fellow Democrat distracts from that message. And Gabbard's over-the-top response sounds ridiculous. She would have been more effective if she had just said "The Clinton campaign put Trump in the White House. Her advice doesn't carry much weight with me."
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 08:38 PM   #72
Mumbles
Philosopher

I'm amused by the fact that the hit dog hollered, but I was never really considering Gabbard to begin with, due to her many previous votes and her general whininess.

The fact that she went on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour to credulously discuss a James O'Keefe "sting" video is enough to rule her out for good, even if I had been considering her, though.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 08:45 PM   #73
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
For someone as politically experienced as Clinton, she demonstrates over and over that she has a tin ear, her comment about "basket of deplorables" being exhibit no. 1. Calling Gabbard a "Russian asset" is basically like accusing her of willful treason. It would have been less controversial and more effective if Clinton had said Gabbard was well-intentioned but too inexperienced to understand the issues, that her position was the same as the Russians', etc. Clinton's real point was that the Russians are trying to screw with the election, and taking a shot at a fellow Democrat distracts from that message. And Gabbard's over-the-top response sounds ridiculous. She would have been more effective if she had just said "The Clinton campaign put Trump in the White House. Her advice doesn't carry much weight with me."
They both sound ridiculous.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 09:21 PM   #74
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

The elephant in the living room here is that Hillary wouldn't be saying any of this if Tulsi had endorsed her and not Sanders in 2015/2016.

Yes, it's that petty.

America, these are your ruling elites.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 09:44 PM   #75
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Van Jones elaborates further. Correctly.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:01 PM   #76
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

"The threat I pose" she says. You can see that she is up to something by the fact that Trump has no nickname for her. Because she is the only one who can beat him with her left arm tied. And should be supported by everyone who wants the USA (not the Empire) go into a benevolent direction. Which includes me, Putin, Roger Waters and PewDiePie.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:06 PM   #77
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I've been saying Tulsi is a crazy Russian plant for months. Go look it up. And I'm on record as believing Stein was their 2016 spoiler. But Tulsi was going to be their real prize. As an actual Democrat they could get her onto the debate stages to spout crazy propaganda.

Which she has done! I mean did anyone watch the last debate?

Moderator: Do you support Medicare for all?

Tulsi: We need to stop endless regime change wars, specifically in Syria where all mighty master Assad and his glorious regime will bring peace to the people, also I was in the army.....all hail Assad!

Moderator: Let's move on to wacky friends!

Anyways, Tulsi seemed a dream come true, obviously corruptible and willing to spout nonsense and physically attractive enough to lure in thirsty dunceheads that would white knight for her in the message boards and comment sections. Kudos to Hillary for blowing up their plan by calling it out.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2019, 10:10 PM   #78
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The elephant in the living room here is that Hillary wouldn't be saying any of this if Tulsi had endorsed her and not Sanders in 2015/2016.

Yes, it's that petty.

Asshats and duncebags, the lot of them.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:11 PM   #79
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I've been saying Tulsi is a crazy Russian plant for months.

And you empowered us to make judgements about your statements for a dozen of years.
Old 18th October 2019, 10:11 PM   #80
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post

Yes, it's that petty.

The elephant in the room is that quitting for insane reasons was the first tell that Tulsi was engaging in the long game. She bought a lot of irrational support from the Bernie crowd by doing that and she knew she could run as basically a Republican (she hates gays and loves dictators people!) and they would stand by her. In a way despicably brilliant.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics