ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , impeachment , Trump controversies

View Poll Results: Did Trump commit an "impeachable" offense?
No, he did absolutely nothing wrong. He's the 2nd coming of Jesus. 2 2.78%
He may have made mistakes, but it doesn't rise to the level of impeachment. 3 4.17%
It's unfortunate, but he did. 9 12.50%
Hell yes. Way too many to count. 58 80.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th October 2019, 04:02 PM   #1
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Do you believe that Trump committed a "high crime or misdemeanor"?

I posted this earlier and intended to include a poll. Given what you know about President Trump's presidency, do you believe he committed what the founders labeled a "high crime and ir misdemeanor"?

Whether his use of his properties constitutes a violation of the "phony Emoluments clause".
Or the facts laid out in the Mueller case regarding Russia. Or if stonewalling Congress and the courts is a clear case of Obstruction. Or extorting Ukraine with authorized military aid to damage political opponents to aid gis own campaign.

Please answer what you believe and why.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

He obstructed. Period.

Carroll Shelby
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 04:54 PM   #3
Cain
Straussian

If somebody itemizes the charges, I can count them.
Old 30th October 2019, 05:04 PM   #4
mgidm86
Philosopher

Did he or didn't he? My belief means nothing, and I try not to use that word. If he did and it can be proven then I will know he did.

It would not surprise me if he did.

Last edited by mgidm86; 30th October 2019 at 05:06 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 05:08 PM   #5
Venom
Illuminator

impeach the ************!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Given that "high crimes and misdemeanors" are not clearly defined in US law, that's a difficult question. Unless a legal person is going to set that definition straight?

I suspect because he has breached the Emoluments Clause so obviously and constantly, and has admitted frankly he has done so, that alone should be enough to bring some sort of legal handbrake or ejection process forward as a matter of urgency.

To use a current metaphor, he has used corked bat every time at the plate, everyone and the umpire has seen him do it, he has profited by it and has openly admitted he has done so then lied that he hasn't. Repeatedly. So perhaps it is time he stopped complaining when the umpires threaten to throw him out of the game, even though they should have done that the first time it happened.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 05:36 PM   #7
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Given that "high crimes and misdemeanors" are not clearly defined in US law, that's a difficult question. Unless a legal person is going to set that definition straight?

I suspect because he has breached the Emoluments Clause so obviously and constantly, and has admitted frankly he has done so, that alone should be enough to bring some sort of legal handbrake or ejection process forward as a matter of urgency.

To use a current metaphor, he has used corked bat every time at the plate, everyone and the umpire has seen him do it, he has profited by it and has openly admitted he has done so then lied that he hasn't. Repeatedly. So perhaps it is time he stopped complaining when the umpires threaten to throw him out of the game, even though they should have done that the first time it happened.
It really isn't a difficult question. Above all, it amounts to whether you believe Trump and his administration has engaged in corruption or abused the power of their office to the point where removal of office is the proper remedy/punishment. It can be reasonably determined that a President committed a crime, but that crime doesn't rise to the level of impeachment
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 06:14 PM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

LOCK HIM UP!!

LOCK HIM UP!!

LOCK HIM UP!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:50 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It would be easier to list the legal things he's done.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 08:59 PM   #10
Lurch
Muse

I voted for the last option (too many to count), but would have preferred a preceding option to have been interjected; a great many impeachable offenses.

I'm pretty certain Trump will be impeached, but fear that the gelatinous lickspittles comprising most of the GOP Senatorial body will adopt the "it was bad but undeserving of removal" stance. Such a silken wrist-slap would only embolden the orange fungus to new heights of abuse. If the sack of rotting yams then managed to win next year, he would be unconscionable to a degree we have not glimpsed, and perhaps not well imagined.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 09:24 PM   #11
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I voted for the last option (too many to count), but would have preferred a preceding option to have been interjected; a great many impeachable offenses.

I'm pretty certain Trump will be impeached, but fear that the gelatinous lickspittles comprising most of the GOP Senatorial body will adopt the "it was bad but undeserving of removal" stance. Such a silken wrist-slap would only embolden the orange fungus to new heights of abuse. If the sack of rotting yams then managed to win next year, he would be unconscionable to a degree we have not glimpsed, and perhaps not well imagined.
That's the general consensus. It makes all the sense too. And yet I have a funny feeling that more shoes are going to drop and that continuing to support Trump may become untenable. I just read a poll that 55 percent of America supports not only impeachment but Trump's removal and only 26 percent that oppose it. 66 percent of the US is against Republican stonewalling.

Now, I absolutely believe the Democrats could screw this up. But I lived through Watergate and this seems so similar it's almost spooky. Republicans stood firmly behind Nixon until the public hearings began. Now these are different times and Trump is very different. But frankly, Trump has committed far more impeachable offenses. This is going to get much uglier.
Old 30th October 2019, 10:43 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's the general consensus. It makes all the sense too. And yet I have a funny feeling that more shoes are going to drop and that continuing to support Trump may become untenable. I just read a poll that 55 percent of America supports not only impeachment but Trump's removal and only 26 percent that oppose it. 66 percent of the US is against Republican stonewalling.

Now, I absolutely believe the Democrats could screw this up. But I lived through Watergate and this seems so similar it's almost spooky. Republicans stood firmly behind Nixon until the public hearings began. Now these are different times and Trump is very different. But frankly, Trump has committed far more impeachable offenses. This is going to get much uglier.
It seems Trump hasn't got one Scooter Libby, he has a whole team of them. And himself.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2019, 10:54 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

There is just this niggling thought that keeps popping into my head.

During the time of Drunky McRapeface's SCOTUS confirmation hearing, I recall either reading, watching or hearing a news article which stated that he had given an opinion a few years ago in which he expounded his thoughts that the SCOTUS decision to rule Nixon had to hand over the WH recordings to Congress (a slam dunk 8-0 decision IIRC) was wrongly decided.

I wonder if that little gem will rear its ugly head sometime soon?

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th October 2019 at 10:55 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 04:37 PM   #14
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

What I am so disappointed about is the failure of Trump's defenders in this forum to answer the question with an argument. Did President Trump violate his oath of office and commit an impeachable offense? And if you don't believe so why?

Is it OK for the President to use 490 million taxpayer dollars allocated for military aid for his own personal use? If this isn't an impeachable offense, then what would be?
Old 1st November 2019, 08:38 PM   #15
Fidelio
Muse

What is this "oath" thing? It sounds like something out of a silent moving picture rather like "honor."
Old 1st November 2019, 08:49 PM   #16
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
What is this "oath" thing? It sounds like something out of a silent moving picture rather like "honor."
Presidential Oath of Office:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States

The argument is that Trump has not done that. In fact, he has done everything in his power to ignore and undermine the US Constitution. A week ago, Trump called a clause in the Constitution "phony".
Old 1st November 2019, 09:31 PM   #17
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Nevermind

Last edited by Ladewig; 1st November 2019 at 09:33 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 10:02 PM   #18
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

As the term "high crimes and misdemeanors" was used in the 1780's, absolutely. Doing anything as president that puts your own personal interests before those of the nation is a high crime.

Now, in a whole lot of scenarios people can and have argued that Trump's actions were in what he considered the best interests of the nation. Ripping families apart, deporting veterans, closing off immigration from largely muslim nations, nominating judges who don't believe in basic human rights - all of those things may be horrible, but at least there's an argument that, in the views of some, these were necessary to strengthen the country. Pressing a foreign government to investigate a political opponent? That enriches the person holding the office of president, at the very least much more so than it serves any legitimate purpose.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics