ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags barack obama

Old 1st November 2019, 12:13 PM   #41
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wonder how they reconcile their "good deeds are required for salvation" philosophy with forcibly separating children from their parents and then caging those children in concentration camps for months on end?
As long as you repent before the end, it's all ok.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 03:17 PM   #42
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Historically speaking he could have easily been a Rockefeller Republican in the 60's and 70's. I mean even the ACA was originally a Republican idea. Nixon was economically certainly to the left of him.
Heck, I was a Rockefeller Republican and I'm probably left of Obama now. I never left the Republican Party, it left me.
Old 1st November 2019, 04:07 PM   #43
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
why don't Republicans embrace Obama?
I don't know. I can't think of a single thing about him that's unlike any other President before or since...
I heard he's a thin-skinned narcissist. I also heard he was born in Kenya.
"People are saying."

For those whose irony meters have broken: I'm suggesting my sources may have been disreputable.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 04:41 PM   #44
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't know. I can't think of a single thing about him that's unlike any other President before or since...
It's almost like Republicans don't understand politics...or the English language when spoken by someone literate.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 04:52 PM   #45
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Sorry, I find it both humorous and shocking as a non American watching, you and others blatantly see things from such a one eyed partisan view point.
I find it somewhat humorous that a non American thinks their own viewpoint is relevant.

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Stick Republicans and Democrats in a different country and most would probably be extremes in the same party.

Political Compass
That's not right. You see, most of the World is to the left of the real center...
Old 1st November 2019, 05:35 PM   #46
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Further commentary, first up an article in the Washington Post.

Quote:
Former president Barack Obama offered some advice earlier this week to young people hoping to change society: participating in cancel culture isn’t the way to do it.

“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically woke and all that stuff, you should get over that quickly,” the 58-year-old said Tuesday while speaking at the Obama Foundation Summit in Chicago. “The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws.”

Obama’s pointed warning that social media enables “woke” people to be “as judgmental as possible” went viral Wednesday, drawing praise from both the left and right. By early Thursday, clips of Obama shared on Twitter had been viewed millions of times as many stressed that all social media users needed to hear his message.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ulter-gabbard/

And from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, who have been dealing with the whole 'best way to counter speech you don't like is with an air horn' nonsense from both sides of politics.

Quote:
Former President Barack Obama specifically discussed college campuses in remarks this week about the “danger” of “call-out culture” and the importance of being willing to hear opposing viewpoints.

FIRE appreciates his remarks based on the calls for censorship we see too often on college campuses, which regularly result in the punishment of a student or professor for their views.

https://www.thefire.org/campus-censo...l-out-culture/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 07:45 PM   #47
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
Further commentary, first up an article in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ulter-gabbard/

And from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, who have been dealing with the whole 'best way to counter speech you don't like is with an air horn' nonsense from both sides of politics.

https://www.thefire.org/campus-censo...l-out-culture/
Here's why I'm pushing back on these editorials:

Jibberish terms like "cancel culture" and "woke culture" ("culture"? What is their art style? What are their coming-of-age rituals, their marriage traditions, their music styles?) are, in reality, reactionary code-speak for "the kids/darkies are acting up!", and are correctly identified by just about every left-wing activist as such. They also recognize that the supposed horrible actions are, in fact, the exact same tactics that we can easily find from reactionaries - social media sites like Twitter have seen Leslie Jones get dogpiled by Nazi wannabes, Gamergate was essentially about screaming at women game developers, asinine phrases like "get woke, go broke" are used to claim that no series featuring women or minorities can possibly succeed on it's own, and so forth. For the matter, youtube "skeptics" seem to specialize in bigoted nonsense.

What's worse, though, is that Obama doesn't actually discuss these badly-defined "cultures", but rather telling people that activism isn't just yelling at people on Twitter or signing a petition. What it's not, is him signing on to conservative framing of actual protestors organizing against issues like police brutality or transgendered people being kicked out of the military. But, since writers are foisting reactionary buzzterms onto him, we get silliness like "Barack Obama is a Republican...", as well as Bernie Bros and the like howling and shrieking about it instead of doing their research.

("Woke" and "cancelled" are, as far as this conversation goes, slang terms invented by black youth, that reactionaries, as usual, mangled into nonsense terms and projection - much like every other time they attempt to imitate black people, their condescension prevents them from doing so credibly.)

ETA: and I say all this while wearing my "Nobody Gets Canceled" shirt...

Last edited by Mumbles; 1st November 2019 at 07:49 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2019, 09:28 PM   #48
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I've never seen or heard this "cancel" thing before. When & where was I supposed to?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:10 AM   #49
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I've never seen or heard this "cancel" thing before. When & where was I supposed to?
Stand in as a bogey man for those conservatives who are afraid of consequences for bad actions, but that’s literally it. There are no actual long term consequences.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:21 AM   #50
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I wonder how they reconcile their "good deeds are required for salvation" philosophy with forcibly separating children from their parents and then caging those children in concentration camps for months on end?
They're brown children, so don't really count.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:24 AM   #51
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Oh, I really love this point - a totally bizarre transformation if you think about the starting and end positions... History is weird.
Well, if you look at the starting and ending points, then it's no more bizarre than the transformation from worshipping a god of war into a religion that espouses universal peace and love.

In fact, locking foreign children in cages is pretty close to the original ethos of "kill all the men, rape all the women, take all the children for slaves, and steal all their goods", which you find if you really go back to Christianity's origins.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:53 AM   #52
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Just as an independent overseas observer it is going to be funny as **** on here when Trump wins again.
Go ahead and laugh.

When Trump puts sanctions on your ******** country the laughter will cease.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 02:51 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Go ahead and laugh.

When Trump puts sanctions on your ******** country the laughter will cease.
Hey, he is a Kiwi, many of them have this idea nothing that happens in the outside world can every impact them.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 03:50 PM   #54
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Further commentary by Jerry Coyne, this time on a NYT editorial that tries to argue that Obama should not be listened to because he forgot to 'check his priviliage'...

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress...ileged-boomer/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics