ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 2nd November 2019, 10:48 AM   #1
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The Trump Presidency: Part 18

Mod Info This is a continuation from the previous edition of this thread; you may quote posts contained in Part 17 (or indeed, any of the previous threads).
Posted By:Agatha

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Smugglers are using $100 power tools to cut through Trump's border wall in a matter of minutes

The way the slats are attached only at the top means that it only requires one cut to allow the slat to be pushed out of the way enough for a person to get through the gap. It's difficult to detect once done, because the slat just hangs there.

Wow!!!

Nobody saw that coming.

Well, nobody whose eyes were obscured with Trump feces. Everybody else pointed it out right away.

Also other obscure, esoteric, high tech gizmos like ... ladders.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by Agatha; 2nd November 2019 at 02:14 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Louisiana has a chance to have a really great Governor in @EddieRispone. Auto insurance costs and taxes will be coming way down with Eddie, and your 2nd Amendment will be protected. Current Democrat governor has done a really poor job! VOTE EARLY FOR EDDIE!

A great new book by Howie Carr, “What Really Happened, How Donald J. Trump Saved America From Hillary Clinton,” is on sale now. Howie is a talented New England force who was there at the very beginning!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:59 AM   #3
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
My right wing brother was complaining about all the Californians moving to Oklahoma . . .
I don't think that he understood Steinbeck.

(And I have no idea if that's a real trend or not. )
Anecdotally yes: this is a thing. If they make a state more liberal in which *every county* has gone red for the last three presidential elections, that'd be a good thing.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:43 PM   #4
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Anyways... random news!
Though I like reading your links it occurs to me that they’re not really random. Virtually all of them seem to be from the Daily Kos and a good percentage of those are from the “community” - i.e., not vetted by staff. The only reason that bothers me is that I don’t want to only read stuff I’m already inclined to agree with. Because generally I don’t seek out pro-Trump media, and I develop a skewed sense that a large majority of people agree with me.

The last thing anti-Trumpers need is a false sense of security. That helped put Trump in office IMO.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 01:02 PM   #5
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Guffaw!
Quote:
According to his longtime personal pastor, Paula White-Cain, Trump in 2006 was taking steps to build a glass cathedral.

“He wanted to build a house of God,” she told us. “He said, ‘Let’s do this, let’s build this before we’re too old,’” said White-Cain told Secrets.

Trump had an architect in place and was eager to have her take charge of the church...
Otherwise known as: Trump blowing smoke up her ass because it earned him praise on the spur of the moment. I strongly suspect the "architect" was on the investigative team that Trump dispatched to Hawaii.
Old 2nd November 2019, 01:11 PM   #6
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Anecdotally yes: this is a thing. If they make a state more liberal in which *every county* has gone red for the last three presidential elections, that'd be a good thing.
To hear my brother tell it, it's an affront for liberals to move into a conservative state and still remain liberals. I simply have no words to describe just how stupid this notion is.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim
Smugglers are using $100 power tools to cut through Trump's border wall in a matter of minutes

The way the slats are attached only at the top means that it only requires one cut to allow the slat to be pushed out of the way enough for a person to get through the gap. It's difficult to detect once done, because the slat just hangs there.
Sounds like it was made in China.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:15 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sounds like it was made in of China.
FTFY
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:47 PM   #9
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Guffaw!
Otherwise known as: Trump blowing smoke up her ass because it earned him praise on the spur of the moment. I strongly suspect the "architect" was on the investigative team that Trump dispatched to Hawaii.
Wut?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 02:56 PM   #10
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
To hear my brother tell it, it's an affront for liberals to move into a conservative state and still remain liberals. I simply have no words to describe just how stupid this notion is.
Of course it's a stupid notion. But you couldn't pay me to live in OK or several other overwhelmingly red/Trump supporting states. I'd feel completely out of place and disgusted daily by all the MAGA crap I'd be exposed to.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:04 PM   #11
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Of course it's a stupid notion. But you couldn't pay me to live in OK or several other overwhelmingly red/Trump supporting states. I'd feel completely out of place and disgusted daily by all the MAGA crap I'd be exposed to.
My poor mother just had to move to Missouri/Kansas because she couldn't afford the rent in California anymore. The stories she tells of the MAGA crowd are terrifying. I told her that she'll be visiting me, not the other way around. I'll gladly pay her way if I can avoid that mess.
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:17 PM   #12
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Though I like reading your links it occurs to me that they’re not really random. Virtually all of them seem to be from the Daily Kos and a good percentage of those are from the “community” - i.e., not vetted by staff.
This is true, much as I consider it to be more of an easy gathering point. Nearly all the posts that I link have links to the source material, which is spread across a wide range of sources. I fully admit to misusing the word "random," either way.

The only reason that bothers me is that I don’t want to only read stuff I’m already inclined to agree with.
Which is fair, much as I'm mostly poking at things that I think are of noteworthy interest in their own right. I've poked at the Democrats a number of times, but... really, that the Republicans are just that overtly bad is something that should not be equivocated about.

Because generally I don’t seek out pro-Trump media, and I develop a skewed sense that a large majority of people agree with me.

The last thing anti-Trumpers need is a false sense of security. That helped put Trump in office IMO.
It did help put Trump in office. With that said, though... I may just be an oddity, but... I don't think I've ever really had a false sense of security about Trump and his odds. I'm not likely to until he's actually out of office, though, one way or another, and even then, I always considered him a symptom of the larger underlying problems. He's a serious problem, in and of himself, but getting rid of him doesn't address how we got him in the first place at all or how he's made those problems so much worse and added more problems on top of those. The failure to appreciate the underlying problems has more to do with a false sense of security, IMO.

A couple not really all that random things to poke at then.

Exclusive: U.S. withholding $105 million in security aid for Lebanon - sources

Without actually giving any reason for such, of course. With that said, an Israeli news outlet might have an explanation.

After Israeli plea, US cutting $105 million in military aid to Lebanon — report
Reported decision by State Department comes day after Israeli officials said diplomats had asked allies to condition funds on action against Hezbollah missile program

If true, why we would need to go to Israeli news to learn why is plenty problematic in and of itself.

Whistleblower Reveals Flawed Construction at North Dakota Gas Plants Where Massive Spill Was Downplayed

This article is from earlier October. 'Downplayed.' They reported 10. The actual number was more like 11,000,000. Also...

Quote:
This puts the release, in terms of gallons spilled, on par with the infamous 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska and secures Garden Creek a spot as one of the largest industry spills in U.S. history. ONEOK has not received any fines from North Dakota regulators for the spill.
Not even a fine. That's pretty clear reason to believe that something's very broken in ND - because of fossil fuel industry corruption of the government, fairly certainly.

RNC Knew When Wikileaks Would Dump the Emails In 2016.

And coordinated with that. Also, Trump said to get the e-mails from Russia and it looks like Flynn said that he would indeed try to do so.

Sure sounds like collusion to me.

DOE Delaying Study That Shows $80 Billion In Net Benefits Of Coast-to-Coast “Super-Grid”

Quote:
A new analysis by the Department of Energy shows that such a grid would cost $80 billion, but would return more than twice that amount in economic gains. It would allow for renewable energy generated during sunny California afternoons to power the evening electricity load on the East Coast, and evening winds that whip across the plains to smooth out the West Coast’s nighttime peak.

It would be a boon, in other words, for the renewable energy industry.

Which is probably why the DOE still hasn’t released the two-year study, which, as E&E reports, has apparently “been finished for a while,” according to Vibrant Clean Energy LLC CEO Christopher Clack.
The Trump Administration, trying to prevent the death of the coal industry at immense cost to everyone but the owners of the coal companies.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd November 2019 at 03:31 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:21 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
My poor mother just had to move to Missouri/Kansas because she couldn't afford the rent in California anymore. The stories she tells of the MAGA crowd are terrifying. I told her that she'll be visiting me, not the other way around. I'll gladly pay her way if I can avoid that mess.
My husband and I are nearing retirement and we've discussed how much better off financially we'd be if we moved to a state with lower housing prices, etc. Trouble is, they tend to be red states or have the worst winters possible. I think I'd prefer colder than hell winters to having neighbors who fly Trump flags, wear MAGA hats, etc.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:23 PM   #14
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim

OK, here's an example of an ad using Trump's words against him:

Show clips of Trump with all his comments about how you can't get over his big beautiful wall juxtaposed with people climbing over and cutting through the wall.

It could end with some stats about tax dollars spent on the wall vs how effective other methods have been.
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:36 PM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

The Whistleblower has disappeared. Where is the Whistleblower?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:38 PM   #16
chrispy
Muse

My husband and I are nearing retirement and we've discussed how much better off financially we'd be if we moved to a state with lower housing prices, etc. Trouble is, they tend to be red states or have the worst winters possible. I think I'd prefer colder than hell winters to having neighbors who fly Trump flags, wear MAGA hats, etc.
This ^^^^ (minus the nearing retirement part )
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Armitage72
Illuminator

I just wanted to share this charming photo I found, and this seemed like an appropriate place.

Larger Image
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:10 PM   #18
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Wut?
To prove birther conspiracy, he sent imaginary investigators to Hawaii. Because he constantly foists imaginary people, I have little doubt the church architect is also imaginary. Hence, I'm imagining the architect having been on the crack team dispatched to Hawaii. On top of their architectural duties of course.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Show clips of Trump with all his comments about how you can't get over his big beautiful wall juxtaposed with people climbing over and cutting through the wall.

It could end with some stats about tax dollars spent on the wall vs how effective other methods have been.
That's a good one because it doesn't just show how Trump lies, but how his lies are costing the tax payers a lot of money for ineffective fences.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:20 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I just wanted to share this charming photo I found, and this seemed like an appropriate place.

https://i.imgur.com/q1s84Ad.jpg

Larger Image
FAKE NEWS! Probably a photo made up by some librul to frame honest, red blooded American MAGA patriots!
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:20 PM   #21
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.

In a similar vein... Clips of Trump bragging about the tax cut helping the middle class. Then the clip of him telling the bigwigs gathered at Mar a lago how much money he made them.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:24 PM   #22
Cain
Straussian

https://i.imgur.com/q1s84Ad.jpg

Larger Image
I hope the kid in the middle doesn't aspire for public office.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:29 PM   #23
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I hope the kid in the middle doesn't aspire for public office.
Or the other 2.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:36 PM   #24
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Schiff will change the transcripts just like he fraudulently made up the phone call. He is a corrupt politician!
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:49 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's a good one because it doesn't just show how Trump lies, but how his lies are costing the tax payers a lot of money for ineffective fences.
And it shows how he's conning the voters, not just someone in his past. There is a thing about people being able to ignore things if they can believe that it only happens to the other guy.

This is also how one gets more effective response from ads of Trump lying, you have to make it personal, he lied to you, not just to that other guy.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:50 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yes.

In a similar vein... Clips of Trump bragging about the tax cut helping the middle class. Then the clip of him telling the bigwigs gathered at Mar a lago how much money he made them.
Old 2nd November 2019, 04:52 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Schiff will change the transcripts just like he fraudulently made up the phone call. He is a corrupt politician!
Interesting. Is this Trump imagining he can release a faked transcript? He must really believe those minions around him are loyal enough to do this.
Old 2nd November 2019, 05:12 PM   #28
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump claiming several times that Baghdadi was whimpering, crying and screaming and then the generals and officials saying they can't corroborate that or they don't know what his source for that is.

Play this heavily in Michigan:

"If I’m elected, you won’t lose one plant, you’ll have plants coming into this country, you’re going to have jobs again, you won’t lose one plant, I promise you that.”

Play videos of the closing of the Warren GM plant with commentary like this:

“I liked that he said the jobs would stay here. That made me feel more secure,” Nuculaj said. “But then I hear [about the plant closing]. What the hell is going on?” Nuculaj added that she would not vote for Trump in 2020.
Old 2nd November 2019, 05:13 PM   #29
Armitage72
Illuminator

Interesting. Is this Trump imagining he can release a faked transcript? He must really believe those minions around him are loyal enough to do this.

I guessed that was his intention when he was talking about reading the transcript to the public in a televised "fireside chat". He would read a transcript that only barely resembled the real one, while claiming it was what was actually said.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 05:27 PM   #30
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump could release a "transcript" that was written in crayon, in his handwriting, that was written on the back of an old pizza box and claim it was the real transcript and his followers would believe him; either literally or with a "well technically" or "whatabout da demmiecrats..." excuse.

Trump knows we're in a post-truth world.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 05:37 PM   #31
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump could release a "transcript" that was written in crayon, in his handwriting, that was written on the back of an old pizza box and claim it was the real transcript and his followers would believe him; either literally or with a "well technically" or "whatabout da demmiecrats..." excuse.

Trump knows we're in a post-truth world.
If it were written in crayon on McDonald's wrappers, that would be proof he'd written it.
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:36 PM   #32
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs

Come to Cali if you aren't already here. It's the most expensive state in the continental US. You can't get much more left wing either. We don't have electricity though, or clean water, or good schools, but it's Paradise - oh wait, that burned down last year.

GooooOOO BLUE!!!!!

Last edited by mgidm86; 2nd November 2019 at 06:38 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:52 PM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Come to Cali if you aren't already here. It's the most expensive state in the continental US. You can't get much more left wing either. We don't have electricity though, or clean water, or good schools, but it's Paradise - oh wait, that burned down last year.

GooooOOO BLUE!!!!!
I love California. The people, the weather. Stanford is a great school as is the University of California, Caltech is one of the finest schools in the world. California is not just the home of the center of the computer and semiconductor industry, it is the most valuable agricultural state in the country. And the fact that real estate values are high demonstrates just how much people want to live there.

No, you're right we should all want to live in Mississippi or Alabama or Arkansas where morons don't believe in evolution or science. Where a fairy tale dictates how one should live. Where they hate gays and people of color. But hey, you can buy a shack with an outhouse for next to nothin.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.

Last edited by acbytesla; 2nd November 2019 at 07:13 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 06:57 PM   #34
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't really trying to derail the thread into a discussion of whether red states or blue states were better when I took a dig at the state where I was raised. Honest.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:02 PM   #35
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/stat...28762370142208

Quote:
“…surrounded by enemies and spies catching and perverting every word that falls from my lips or flows from my pen, and inventing where facts fail them.” -Thomas Jefferson’s reflections on Washington, D.C. in a letter to his daughter Martha.
Some things never change, dad!
https://twitter.com/Zeddary/status/1189955309659398144

Quote:
You're quoting Jefferson's denial that he'd raped and impregnated a girl he kept as property. Which he did, in fact, do.
Fun fact: the person in question was his wife's half-sister.
Even more fun fact: when he says "girl" he doesn't mean "woman", he means "15 or 16 year old girl who had been Jefferson's slave since she was an infant".

I'm not sure Ivanka really thought that one through.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:11 PM   #36
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

First Trump claimed it was all a crock because the military aid WASN'T withheld. When that didn't sell he switched to claiming it didn't matter because the Ukrainians NEVER KNEW it was being withheld. That was debunked so now his new line seems to be, 'Schiff made the whole thing up!'

Once again, Donnie gives stupid a bad name.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:21 PM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump claiming several times that Baghdadi was whimpering, crying and screaming and then the generals and officials saying they can't corroborate that or they don't know what his source for that is.

Play this heavily in Michigan:

"If I’m elected, you won’t lose one plant, you’ll have plants coming into this country, you’re going to have jobs again, you won’t lose one plant, I promise you that.”

Play videos of the closing of the Warren GM plant with commentary like this:

“I liked that he said the jobs would stay here. That made me feel more secure,” Nuculaj said. “But then I hear [about the plant closing]. What the hell is going on?” Nuculaj added that she would not vote for Trump in 2020.
Old 2nd November 2019, 07:24 PM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I guessed that was his intention when he was talking about reading the transcript to the public in a televised "fireside chat". He would read a transcript that only barely resembled the real one, while claiming it was what was actually said.
The more I think about it, this is one of Trump's fantasies that he imagines happening. There is no such innocence-proving transcript and there will never be a fireside chat.

It's like imagining you could beat up the bully but you really can't.
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:18 PM   #39
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

The more I think about it, this is one of Trump's fantasies that he imagines happening. There is no such innocence-proving transcript and there will never be a fireside chat.

It's like imagining you could beat up the bully but you really can't.
Or more accurately for POTUS, imagining you can be up the bully so overwhelmingly that people cheer you, and strong men cry, and everyone says “sir, you as the best bully-beater-upper in the country - no, in the world - no, in all of history.”

ETA
and as you walk toward the bully rolling up your sleeves, he is whimpering and crying.

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd November 2019 at 08:21 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2019, 08:34 PM   #40
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Like Bill “This is not the Mueller Report you’ve been looking for” Barr?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics