ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th November 2019, 06:07 AM   #361
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I’m not sure one could win a court case in this particular matter. This is a county of 140,000 people 1000 miles from New York City. The library asked for funds to subscribe to the online edition of The NY Times. It could be easily argued that the library budget needs to be spent on state and local news instead of national and international news with a New York City slant. After all, the vast majority of items covered by the Times can be found in other online news sources without paywalls.
Personally, I don't find it to be particularly concerning that those guys chose not to subscribe, despite the fact that it was requested, for reasons much along those lines. The whole "I'm a supporter of President Trump, so I hate that publication" and "Fake News" lines of reasoning that were the main arguments actually presented when it came to the reasoning, however, are abhorrent. Not illegal and fairly should not be illegal, but abhorrent.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:11 AM   #362
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
An interesting legal question. If one is not taking a government salary, is one a government employee?
Old 6th November 2019, 06:13 AM   #363
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That is what could be claimed, but did they just not claim that it's because Trump called it fake news?
First, we should be paying attention to what they're actually doing if you want to invoke legal action. They're declining to purchase a non-essential product. That's it. Their reasoning may be nonsense, but that actual action should not be met with legal consequences. On the other hand, kicking them out of their jobs there would not be amiss.
Old 6th November 2019, 06:15 AM   #364
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Personally, I don't find it to be particularly concerning that those guys chose not to subscribe, despite the fact that it was requested, for reasons much along those lines. The whole "I'm a supporter of President Trump, so I hate that publication" and "Fake News" lines of reasoning that were the main arguments actually presented when it came to the reasoning, however, are abhorrent. Not illegal and fairly should not be illegal, but abhorrent.
Agreed on all counts.

I was trying to point out how easy it would be to backpedal on the issue and assert, “we promise to never again decline requests for money for The NY Times because of our respect for President Trump. Instead will will decline the request for money for these other very legitimate reasons...”
Old 6th November 2019, 06:15 AM   #365
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

An interesting legal question. If one is not taking a government salary, is one a government employee?
IANAL but IMO if one has a government employment contract and/or are holding a government job, the level of renumeration is unimportant.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:17 AM   #366
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IANAL but IMO if one has a government employment contract and/or are holding a government job, the level of renumeration is unimportant.
Does he have a government employment contract? Does he work for his father directly or for the White House?
Old 6th November 2019, 06:19 AM   #367
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Does he have a government employment contract? Does he work for his father directly or for the White House?
Doesn't matter, Donald Trump has a government job:

Quote:
Office of Government Ethics-

2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.

An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of relatives.
It's a product and Donald Jr is a relative.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:58 AM   #368
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Has anyone told him Donny is equally reviled and laughed at outside the USA too?

Foreign leaders constantly approach Trump at meetings and tell him "Sir, it's terrible how badly people treat you in your country." Trump said so himself, so it must be true.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:04 AM   #369
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I read a bunch of the comments.
I was most fascinated by the President Trump supporter who challenged the liberals to “try to explain why DON is so f popular abroad but TRASHED nonstop back in America?”

I have no idea how representative that guy is, but that is another drop in the This-will-not-end-well bucket.
I have said this before and say it again: it's really hard to find a middle ground when people live in such very different realities.

The best example is the survey that showed that a majority of Trump supporters believe that white Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US. This survey came out literally at the time when Trump was trying to ban Muslims from entering the US on the fact that they were Muslim. And still, the real victims were white men.

It's a completely different reality. White Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US and Trump is extremely popular abroad. Where do you even start?
Old 6th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #370
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I know it's shocking and gross. Don't blame me for that.

When we say that Lindsey Graham kisses Trump's ass, that's a figure of speech of course. Never mind that. Doctors have determined that Graham has somehow physically melded with Trump's sphincter, and subsequently achieved regular, brief detachment, allowing Sphincter Graham to conduct interviews and what have you. (They re-attatch nightly.)

Last edited by varwoche; 6th November 2019 at 08:48 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:11 AM   #371
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I know it's shocking and gross. Don't blame me for that.

When we say that Lindsey Graham kisses Trump's ass, that's a figure of speech of course. Never mind that. Doctors have determined that Graham has somehow physically melded with Trump's sphincter, and subsequently achieved regular, brief detachment, allowing Graham to conduct interviews and what have you. (They re-attatch nightly.)
Trump is the front of a human centipede.
Old 6th November 2019, 07:19 AM   #372
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

If one chooses to donate his salary, he is still an employee, still being paid a salary and using it as he chooses.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:38 AM   #373
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you to Kurt Volker, U.S. Envoy to Ukraine, who said in his Congressional Testimony, just released, “You asked what conversations did I have about that quid pro quo, et cetra. NONE, because I didn’t know there was a quid pro quo.” Witch Hunt!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:38 AM   #374
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I have said this before and say it again: it's really hard to find a middle ground when people live in such very different realities.

The best example is the survey that showed that a majority of Trump supporters believe that white Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US. This survey came out literally at the time when Trump was trying to ban Muslims from entering the US on the fact that they were Muslim. And still, the real victims were white men.

It's a completely different reality. White Christian men are the most discriminated against group in the US and Trump is extremely popular abroad. Where do you even start?
The most recent example.

Fox News ran a story about the CIA being upset about the Obama White House being too PC

https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/sta...46877497348097

The complaint was that the during the Obama presidency, "they spent a lot of time in the White House doing nonstop PC [political correctness] meetings."

Someone wrote that, and actually believed it.

Instead of the reality, where the PC stands for "principles committee." You know, the main people in the administration running the country? To think that they actually met regularly!
Old 6th November 2019, 07:51 AM   #375
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

You start by arming up and getting ready for when they try to start Civil War II. When they've exhausted all legal options, they'll turn upon the nonbelievers. They answer only to a god of vengeance. Prepare to defend yourself and your family against them.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #376
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Sondland is far more engaged with reality than anyone in the White House bubble, and far more comfortable with it, given that he's independently very wealthy. I'm sure he's got more than his money's worth of enjoyment out of his time in European high society, but he's no appetite for the downside that has emerged and wants out from under. He's hardly likely to think that he owes Trump any loyalty because of what he's already enjoyed. What does Trump have to offer him now? Blood, sweat, and tears. Exit stage left, in a cloud of dust and small pebbles ...
Pursued by a bear?
Old 6th November 2019, 07:58 AM   #377
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

The most recent example.

Fox News ran a story about the CIA being upset about the Obama White House being too PC

https://twitter.com/RobbieGramer/sta...46877497348097

The complaint was that the during the Obama presidency, "they spent a lot of time in the White House doing nonstop PC [political correctness] meetings."

Someone wrote that, and actually believed it.

Instead of the reality, where the PC stands for "principles committee." You know, the main people in the administration running the country? To think that they actually met regularly!

They likely were, and PC culture is a poison
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:58 AM   #378
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
You start by arming up and getting ready for when they try to start Civil War II.
Sorry, that's not how we name sequels nowadays. It's got to have a subtitle, like "Civil War Reprise" or something.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 07:59 AM   #379
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
They likely were, and PC culture is a poison
You do realise that the "PC" in your post doesn't stand for "political correctness", right?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #380
shemp

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Sorry, that's not how we name sequels nowadays. It's got to have a subtitle, like "Civil War Reprise" or something.
How about "Civil War II: Trump's Reckoning"?
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:03 AM   #381
Belz...
Fiend God

I SAID NO NUMBERS!

Old 6th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #382
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

CIVIL WAR II
The Wrath of Con
Old 6th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #383
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Civil War: Covfefe Like A Dog
Old 6th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #384
shemp

I SAID NO NUMBERS!
Fug off, it's my war, go start your own!
Old 6th November 2019, 08:09 AM   #385
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The next civil war will be over what to call the next civil war!
Old 6th November 2019, 08:11 AM   #386
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yeah, well, fine. I'll go build my own war, with blackjack and hookers! In fact, forget the war!
Old 6th November 2019, 08:13 AM   #387
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

You do realise that the "PC" in your post doesn't stand for "political correctness", right?
You realize that being a Grammar Nazi isn't very politically correct is it, Grammar Goebbels? Shaddap.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:15 AM   #388
Belz...
Fiend God

You realize that being a Grammar Nazi isn't very politically correct is it, Grammar Goebbels? Shaddap.
We're not talking about grammar, mate.

You clearly didn't understand the post you were replying to. FOX either made a stupid mistake or deliberately misled their viewers by conflating two completely different terms with the same acronym.

Old 6th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #389
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It stuns me whenever I see one of his rallies. The attendees must have a combined IQ in the double digits.
But look what happened when he went in front of a non self selected group of USA folk, boos and chants of lock him up. Don't be without hope!
Old 6th November 2019, 08:25 AM   #390
Armitage72
Illuminator

We're not talking about grammar, mate.

You clearly didn't understand the post you were replying to. FOX either made a stupid mistake or deliberately misled their viewers by conflating two completely different terms with the same acronym.

It reminds me of a joke I heard years ago. A patient looks at his doctor's notes while he's out of the room, and starts yelling at him when he returns to the room. The doctor responds "First, you shouldn't be looking at my notes on your own. Second, it stands for Short of Breath."

Given his general health, we can probably describe Trump as SOB.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:26 AM   #391
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But look what happened when he went in front of a non self selected group of USA folk, boos and chants of lock him up.
Twice.

Old 6th November 2019, 08:27 AM   #392
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

You're not very good at this, are you?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:33 AM   #393
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted that there is "a lot of winning in Kentucky"

He's right, there is a new Democrat governor.

He hasn't mentioned Virginia where Democrats have won control of both house and senate in the state legislature

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th November 2019 at 08:35 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:33 AM   #394
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Trump is the front of a human centipede.
And back. He eats his own.........
Old 6th November 2019, 08:58 AM   #395
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted that there is "a lot of winning in Kentucky"

He's right, there is a new Democrat governor.

The Republican hasn't conceded yet, and it was mentioned in the 2019 election thread that there's a small chance of the Republican legislators actually deciding the winner.

He might mean there will be a lot of winning, if they do things right.
Old 6th November 2019, 09:19 AM   #396
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The Republican hasn't conceded yet, and it was mentioned in the 2019 election thread that there's a small chance of the Republican legislators actually deciding the winner.

He might mean there will be a lot of winning, if they do things right.
Well that will set a good precedent for the future, and ensure that the GOP is safely insulated from demographic issues.

Gerrymander the state legislature so that you get, say, 70% of the seats with 30% of the vote.

Contest the results of any statewide election (such as the Gubenatorial race) for unspecified reasons, no matter what the margin of victory (I wonder if Senatorial races could be similarly decided).

Allow the state legislature to appoint the winner.

As long as the gerrymander is good enough, a tiny proportion of the vote could continue to yield a majority in the state legislature which in turn would control redistricting (for state legislature and House gerrymandering) and allow the Governor (and others ?) to be appointed.

Genius ! It's not fair, but if it's legal then the GOP have found a way to stay in power.
Old 6th November 2019, 10:07 AM   #397
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Stock Markets (all three) hit another ALL TIME & HISTORIC HIGH yesterday! You are sooo lucky to have me as your President (just kidding!). Spend your money well!

“Based on the things I’ve seen, the Democrats have no case, or a weak case, at best. I don’t think there are, or will be, well founded articles of Impeachment here.” Robert Wray, respected former prosecutor. It is a phony scam by the Do Nothing Dems!
@foxandfriends
Old 6th November 2019, 10:15 AM   #398
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Stock Markets (all three) hit another ALL TIME & HISTORIC HIGH yesterday! You are sooo lucky to have me as your President (just kidding!).
Wait, did he really write that?

Quote:
“Based on the things I’ve seen, the Democrats have no case, or a weak case, at best.
Which is to say, he's not watching the news.

Old 6th November 2019, 10:31 AM   #399
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Sondland is far more engaged with reality than anyone in the White House bubble, and far more comfortable with it, given that he's independently very wealthy. I'm sure he's got more than his money's worth of enjoyment out of his time in European high society, but he's no appetite for the downside that has emerged and wants out from under. He's hardly likely to think that he owes Trump any loyalty because of what he's already enjoyed. What does Trump have to offer him now? Blood, sweat, and tears. Exit stage left, in a cloud of dust and small pebbles ...
Doesn't seem to be going that way. Even when he admitted suggesting a quid pro quo was in effect, he said that he had merely presumed it to be so, not that he was told by anyone it was so. This gives Trump some deniability.

Mind, it could be the truth too.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:32 AM   #400
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
A recount can be a double edged sword though. Its almost as likely to increase a majority as it is to decrease it or overturn it.
538 says

Quote:
Some statewide races that have undergone recounts have far fewer votes than the closest states in the 2016 presidential race, but even in percentage terms, the average swing was 0.2 percentage points

Not clear if the .2 average swing is in state races or not, but it's probably close enough. The Kentucky race is a difference of .4%.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics