ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 8th November 2019, 05:07 PM   #601
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
He wants to "invest" in creating rat-infested slums, morelike? He and his family have quite the history with that, after all.
I seriously don't understand why anyone would ever ever trust Trump and what he says. I'm dying to see some ads showing his promises against reality. I bet you could run a great series of anti-Trump ads on this theme.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:18 PM   #602
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ivanka tweeted

Today we met with Morocco’s Head of Government and Foreign Minister to sign implementing documents to further legal reforms in property rights that will actualize the economic empowerment of Moroccan women. #WGDP
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:19 PM   #603
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Donnie found some Uncle Toms.No surpise there.
Note the hatred for anything "Green". I honestly think it's because in Donnie's mind, Fossil Fuels are strong and manly, but Renweable Energies are wimpy and faggy.
Of course. One need only look at his quotes
Originally Posted by Yahoo News
Trump said he had asked miners whether they wanted to work in technology and “they almost threw up all over the place.”

“Can you imagine miners with massive arms, shoulders -- who love what they’re doing -- in a line with little tiny widgets?” he added. “They’re putting little tiny computer parts together. These big strong guys? They don’t want to be doing that.”
Old 8th November 2019, 05:20 PM   #604
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Just watched the video of Trumps kid pointing out stuff the women on "The View" have done, when they were slagging him off for having Trump for a dad through no fault of his own.

Was quite humorous
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:29 PM   #605
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why is she signing things?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:31 PM   #606
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Ivanka tweeted

Today we met with Morocco’s Head of Government and Foreign Minister to sign implementing documents to further legal reforms in property rights that will actualize the economic empowerment of Moroccan women. #WGDP

Is she calling a game of Buzzword Bingo?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:41 PM   #607
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Which means that once it's confirmed that the Democrat has become Governor, the legislature will probably start changing the rules to limit his power, like what happened in another state.
Yep: Wisconsin

ETA: Umm, maybe Michigan
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 05:49 PM   #608
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I'd like to know the rationale behind trump's retweeting this.
My guess is that he didn't write it. I wonder if any of the White House staff are 'bama grads.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 06:08 PM   #609
SezMe
post-pre-born

NY Attorney General Tweeted

NY AG James
@NewYorkStateAG
BREAKING: We’ve secured a court order forcing President Trump to pay $2M in damages after admitting to illegally using the Trump Foundation to help him intervene in the 2016 presidential election and further his own political interests.
No one is above the law.
This strikes me as a mere slap on the wrist. If he is as rich as he claims then he can find $2M in the sofa cushions. Is $2M any measure at all of the damage he's done both here and abroad? Not even close.
Old 8th November 2019, 06:11 PM   #610
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
This strikes me as a mere slap on the wrist. If he is as rich as he claims then he can find $2M in the sofa cushions. Is $2M any measure at all of the damage he's done both here and abroad? Not even close.
Notice how he turned that into "I decided to donate $2 million."
Old 8th November 2019, 06:42 PM   #611
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It may not be Kellyanne. But I can't see how it couldn't be her.
I can just imagine what it's like in her home after she comes home after spending a day with the loon.
I imagine she gets home, pours a gallon of wine, puts her feet up and rants away...and away...and away. Meantime, George has turned up the tape recorder, taking it all down and writing it up. On weekends, they proof it together, get giddy with wine and hosannas and finally head up to the bedroom to bring the latest chapter to a ...er...climax.
Old 8th November 2019, 08:03 PM   #612
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Err, thats JUST the Trump Foundation court action... a very small part of the totality of Dump's legal jeopardy
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 08:32 PM   #613
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I am wondering if this impeachment thing is really just an attempt to open up Trump's clogged Uranus with congress as the plumbers. <snip>

I imagine she gets home, pours a gallon of wine, puts her feet up and rants away...and away...and away. Meantime, George has turned up the tape recorder, taking it all down and writing it up. On weekends, they proof it together, get giddy with wine and hosannas and finally head up to the bedroom to bring the latest chapter to a ...er...climax.
Trump does have a talent for hot older women in his cabinet(period) Noted

Edited by Loss Leader:  Off topic comments snipped.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 8th November 2019 at 09:23 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2019, 09:04 PM   #614
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ivanka tweeted

And why the hell does she say 'we met to sign'? Does she have a political position in Morocco?
Old 8th November 2019, 09:35 PM   #615
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife just told me Trump hasn't tweeted in over 24 hours. Has someone taken his phone away?
Old 8th November 2019, 09:51 PM   #616
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And why the hell does she say 'we met to sign'? Does she have a political position in Morocco?
Concerning as that may be, there's also the larger question of... what, exactly, those legal reforms in property rights actually are and what the larger story is here.

Looks like AP News has a bit more about that.

Ivanka Trump meets with female landowners on Morocco trip

Quote:
Ivanka Trump is a senior White House adviser who works on women’s issues and has sought through an initiative to encourage developing countries to help women build wealth and financial independence by owning land or other property.

Morocco is one such nation. Working in partnership with the Millennium Challenge Corp., a U.S. aid agency, Morocco has updated its land titling laws and earned the three-day visit from the U.S. president’s daughter.

<snip>

She is visiting Morocco to promote the Women’s Global Development and Prosperity initiative, a U.S. government program she spearheads that has a goal of helping 50 million women in developing countries advance economically by 2025.
It does look like the overall cause is good. Ivanka's official role in it, on the other hand, is in a legal grey area, at best, though. I'm willing to count that particular initiative as one of the positives of the Trump Administration, either way.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:05 PM   #617
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Given the miniscule size of the Trump Foundation assets at its peak, $2 million is a lot.
Plus he can't serve on any charity board.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:45 AM   #618
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Fake News is reporting that I am talking to Mark Burnett about doing a big show, perhaps The Apprentice, after the presidency, which I would assume they mean in 5 years. This is not true, never had such a conversation, don’t even have time to think about it. False reporting!

Mark Levin blasts Adam Schiff, claims 'the law is on the president's side' on Ukraine
Old 9th November 2019, 04:48 AM   #619
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

House Homeland GOP
@HomelandGOP
Democrats are so obsessed with impeaching President Trump that they're doing nothing to fix real problems Americans care about, like border security.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:51 AM   #620
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Lee Zeldin
@RepLeeZeldin
This "evidence" would be thrown out of court so quickly for all of the right reasons. Here Taylor concedes to me that his ONLY substantive claim from his opening statement referencing Biden not only isn't first hand...it's not even second hand

he Dems/media are desperately relying on Taylor as their star witness to show there was an impeachable offense of quid pro quo. Aside from the fact he admits he has no idea what quid pro quo even means, Taylor also admitted to me his claims aren't based on 1st hand knowledge

The George Kent transcript was just released & once again there’s ZERO 1st hand info of US $ to Ukraine being linked to specific investigations. I'm sure the Dems & media would love to rely though on the unreliable here: Taylor told Kent that Sondland told Taylor, etc. etc. etc.

It appears Ambassador Yovanovitch did not accurately answer this question I asked her during her “impeachment inquiry” deposition under oath.

Real Cracker Jack reporting here. What actually happened in the room is Adam Schiff made up a new rule that day that NOTHING AT ALL can be asked related to the Intel Community. Very different line of questioning than what the AP inaccurately wrote here.

Volker confirmed to me during his interview that in no way, shape or form was there any quid pro quo whatsoever.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:52 AM   #621
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino Jr.
@Scavino45
On Thursday, 11/7/2019, the President signed into law:

S. 693, the “National POW/MIA Flag Act,” which honors service members who are Prisoners of War (POW) or Missing in Action (MIA) by increasing frequency of POW/MIA flag display on specified Federal properties.
Old 9th November 2019, 04:58 AM   #622
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino Jr.
@Scavino45

S. 693, the “National POW/MIA Flag Act,” which honors service members who are Prisoners of War (POW) or Missing in Action (MIA) by increasing frequency of POW/MIA flag display on specified Federal properties.

Does it add a second flag saying "I prefer soldiers who weren't captured"?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 05:24 AM   #623
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Concerning as that may be, there's also the larger question of... what, exactly, those legal reforms in property rights actually are and what the larger story is here.

It does look like the overall cause is good. Ivanka's official role in it, on the other hand, is in a legal grey area, at best, though. I'm willing to count that particular initiative as one of the positives of the Trump Administration, either way.
Yes it does seem to be a good cause. So good on her doing something useful.

Please, please don't let there be a story next week that the Trumps are building a new resort in Morocco!
Old 9th November 2019, 05:26 AM   #624
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Given the miniscule size of the Trump Foundation assets at its peak, $2 million is a lot.

Plus he can't serve on any charity board.
What charity apart from a "Give Trump money" charity would want him on their board?
Old 9th November 2019, 06:12 AM   #625
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What charity apart from a "Give Trump money" charity would want him on their board?
White Nationalist Charities?

ETA: They exist:

https://thinkprogress.org/white-supr...-c70e155872f7/
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 9th November 2019 at 06:13 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:17 AM   #626
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

People who seek to toady up to the president? Corrupt oligarchs, business men, foreign powers, whackadoodles, fundies to name but a few?
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 06:31 AM   #627
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

John Bolton
@AmbJohnBolton
Sep 10
As we reflect this week on the horrific 9/11 attack, it’s important to remember how far we’ve come in combatting radical Islamist terrorist groups but also how much work is left. We stand strong against regimes that sponsor terror & encourage violence against the US & our allies.

Trish Regan
@trish_regan
"#Coup has started.” Those were the words of the so-called “whistleblower’s” attorney, TWO-AND-A-HALF YEARS before the call with Ukraine. Tonight, It’s clear that the left’s disdain for #PresidentTrump has been simmering from the very beginning. #TrishRegan

Varney & Co.
@Varneyco
STU: "Voters everywhere have been rejecting costly climate dreams!" #NaturalGas #ClimateChange #Fracking #MyTake #VarneyCo
Old 9th November 2019, 06:53 AM   #628
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
As much as I don't like the present incarnation of the Republican party, it's important to have an honorable opposition.

Which is the problem with the GOP today. It has abandoned any honor it may have once had. Graham only a few weeks ago said if evidence became available that showed there was quid pro quo trading military aid and only a couple of days ago, Graham said he wasn't going to read the transcripts that prove that.

<snip>

To have an honorable opposition there needs to be someone in the opposition with honor. The GOP has long since abandoned any pretense to that, and indeed, strives to eliminate anyone with even vestiges of such a tendency from so much as running for office as a Republican.

Faced with a choice between acting with honor or keeping their positions within the GOP hierarchy at all costs they have, almost to a man, chosen the later.

If there is an honorable opposition to be found anywhere, it won't be within the GOP. Not this decade, and likely not the next.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:01 AM   #629
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yep: Wisconsin

ETA: Umm, maybe Michigan

North Carolina.

As soon as Roy Cooper was elected Governor in 2016 the GOP controlled General Assembly (our Senate and HoR) went into high gear, before Cooper had a chance to even take office, passing as much legislation as they could to emasculate the Governor's office. Since they held a super majority in both branches this continued to some degree until the last election when they lost the certain ability to override a Governor's veto. Many cases are still in court regarding some of the actions they took.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #630
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Me too.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 08:07 AM   #631
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=Captain_Swoop;12886087]Trump Retweeted

John Bolton
@AmbJohnBolton
Sep 10
As we reflect this week on the horrific 9/11 attack, it’s important to remember how far we’ve come in combatting radical Islamist terrorist groups but also how much work is left. We stand strong against regimes that sponsor terror & encourage violence against the US & our allies.

Bolton? They guy that was such a complete loser that Trump had to fire him?
Old 9th November 2019, 09:12 AM   #632
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Just finished reading my son Donald’s just out new book, “Triggered.” It is really good! He, along with many of us, was very unfairly treated. But we all fight back, and we always win!
Old 9th November 2019, 09:15 AM   #633
autumn1971
Illuminator

Trump Retweeted

Dan Scavino Jr.
@Scavino45

This is a subhuman scumbag just showing it off for his animals.

He has disrespected servicemen and women constantly. Now he is wrapped in what I assume is a pre-humped flag.

**** trump with a dead porcupine.
Sideways
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:39 AM   #634
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Trump Retweeted

John Bolton
@AmbJohnBolton
Sep 10

That was 2 months ago. Has Trump looked at the date and confused 11/9 with 9/11?
Old 9th November 2019, 09:41 AM   #635
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post

That was 2 months ago. Has Trump looked at the date and confused 11/9 with 9/11?
Maybe he was thinking of Rudy, who ALWAYS brought up 9/11.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:54 AM   #636
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump Tweets

Just finished reading my son Donald’s just out new book, “Triggered.” It is really good! He, along with many of us, was very unfairly treated. But we all fight back, and we always win!
Lies! Donald Trump has never read an entire book!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 09:59 AM   #637
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Yes it does seem to be a good cause. So good on her doing something useful.

Please, please don't let there be a story next week that the Trumps are building a new resort in Morocco!
Indeed.

Trump Tweets

*snerk*

Anyways, time to poke at a couple things of interest.

Houston Elects 19 Black Women Judges, so Texas Gov. and Legislature Move to End Judicial Elections.

More specifically, end judicial elections in very high population areas ONLY. In other words, city areas. In other words, areas that pretty much invariably vote Democrat. Looks like the Democrats managed to get them to partially back down on that - temporarily, at least, but this is just another in the long line of confirmations about how much Republicans are willing to support democracy.

Fox News is now blasting the liberal 'War on Thanksgiving'

A single blogger on HuffPo decided that it wouldn't be bad to recommend considering reducing one's carbon footprint by doing things like buying locally sourced food.

Fox decided that that is proof that liberals are at war with Thanksgiving.

As much as I support the 1st Amendment, I would have no qualms at all with Fox being shut down over the sheer dishonesty of so much of the propaganda they push.

Last edited by Aridas; 9th November 2019 at 10:01 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #638
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

He just flipped through that sucker like a deck of cards.
Old 9th November 2019, 10:30 AM   #639
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He just flipped through that sucker like a deck of cards.
And was really mad because some cards have colorful pictures!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #640
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Bringing the word “Nationalism” back into the mainstream - great job by Rich Lowry! Very important book.

Rich Lowry
@RichLowry
Excited to share that my new book, “The Case for Nationalism: How It Made Us Powerful, United, and Free” will be out November 5. It’s available for pre-order now https://amazon.com/Case-Nationalism-...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics