ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Milo Yiannopoulos , racism issues , racisms incidents , Richard Spencer , white nationalists

Old 6th November 2019, 10:31 AM   #41
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

If these two ******** held hands and jumped off a cliff it would be a great day for America.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
If these two ******** held hands and jumped off a cliff it would be a great day for America.
I'm not sure I'd rate Milo anywhere near as bad as Spencer, though.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:26 AM   #43
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Yeah, but if you're going to flush the toilet anyways, you might as well get rid of the little turds as well as the big ones.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:29 AM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, but if you're going to flush the toilet anyways, you might as well get rid of the little turds as well as the big ones.
This thread is getting more erotic by the hour!
Old 6th November 2019, 11:52 AM   #45
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
More infighting, and this article states that the recent airing of dirty laundry is part of a longer feud going on within the far right.

Spencer's right hand man has been doxxed. Apparently doxxing their own people is the weapon of choice for these goons when it comes to fighting among themselves.
Well, when your followers are murderous even towards trivial attributes like religion or skin color, guess how they they treat perceived betrayers to their "cause".

Eh. One's a truly genocidal megalomaniac, the other simply wishes to whip up genocidal idiots to line his pockets. What's the real difference?
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 11:53 AM   #46
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Eh. One's a truly genocidal megalomaniac, the other simply wishes to whip up genocidal idiots to line his pockets. What's the real difference?
One of them is not a genocidal maniac.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:01 PM   #47
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
^Bingo!^

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:11 PM   #48
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

From some perspectives that makes that one worse, as he hasn't even sincerity in believing something dreadful.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:18 PM   #49
Mumbles
Philosopher

And?

Let's say that him and his white nationalists were like any other pack of powerless lunatics. They show up to events, rant and rave, and everyone simply ignores them.

So? That's the Black Israelites, or people who sneak off every now and then to put on robes and burn a cross deep in the woods. Unless you let them get to you emotionally, those guys can be safely ignored.

Now, let's say the same for Milo Yeahimasnitch. No college tours, no doxxing or death threats against women game devs or anything.

Again, who cares?

Instead, both are given major political and media platforms to spread their hateful message around. One goes on CNN, one goes on HBO, both are given softball interviews. One uses a famous white nationalist website to hype up the other's genocidal movement, and sees his boss become a White House senior adviser. And of course, both have been tied to at least one attempted murder by their followers.

Again, why should we care about the distinction here, as far as politics go? Yes, I'll care if I'm diagnosing their mental illnesses or some such, but aside from that, who cares?

Last edited by Mumbles; 6th November 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:22 PM   #50
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

And?

Let's say that him and his white nationalists werre like any other pack of powerless lunatics. ZTHey show up to events, rant and rave, and everyone simply ignores them.

So? That's the Black Israelites.

Now, let's say the same for Milo Yeahimasnitch. No college tours, no doxxing or death threats against women game devs or anything.

Again, who cares?

Instead, both are given major political and media platforms to spread their hateful message around. One goes on CNN, one goes on HBO, both are given softball interviews. One uses a famous white nationalist website to hype up the other's genocidal movement, and sees his boss become a White House senior adviser. And of course, both have been tied to at least one attempted murder by their followers.

Again, why should we care about the distinction here, as far as politics go? Yes, I'll care if I'm diagnosing their mental illnesses or some such, but aside from that, who cares?
I have to agree. At some point, the abhorrence meter is just saturated. Sure, someone like Spencer, who is an explicit ethno-nationalist, is probably worse than an opportunistic far-right grifter like Milo, but both are extreme enough that the difference really isn't that significant.

Both of them are utter turds and unredeemable. I celebrate both becoming public disgraces, hoping that either will not longer be as effective in spreading fascism and other far-right radicalism.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th November 2019 at 12:24 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 12:28 PM   #51
Belz...
Fiend God

And?
You asked for a difference. I think it makes a significant difference if one wants to exterminate other humans, and the other not.

Don't you? How abhorrent must someone's ideas be before that person is the equivalent of Hitler, to you?

Old 6th November 2019, 12:34 PM   #52
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

You asked for a difference. I think it makes a significant difference if one wants to exterminate other humans, and the other not.

Don't you? How abhorrent must someone's ideas be before that person is the equivalent of Hitler, to you?
Some are more open about their beliefs than others. Plenty of them play games, masking some of the more extreme views in order to pander to a wider public. Grifters like Milo stick more to dogwhistling and tiptoeing around the edges open fascism, but I don't really see that as being meaningfully less extreme. They all play their part in incremental radicalization.

Pure Nazis, PR-sensitive nazis, the difference is practical, not ideological.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:43 PM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

Some are more open about their beliefs than others. Plenty of them play games, masking some of the more extreme views in order to pander to a wider public. Grifters like Milo stick more to dogwhistling and tiptoeing around the edges open fascism, but I don't really see that as being meaningfully less extreme. They all play their part in incremental radicalization.

Pure Nazis, PR-sensitive nazis, the difference is practical, not ideological.
I have to admit I'm not greatly acquainted with Milo's ideology, mostly because he usually annoys me, but what it is specifically that makes you think he's of the same cloth as Spencer?

Old 6th November 2019, 01:05 PM   #54
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I have to admit I'm not greatly acquainted with Milo's ideology, mostly because he usually annoys me, but what it is specifically that makes you think he's of the same cloth as Spencer?
I see him as being among the wider group of the alt-right community, in which ethno-nationalists are only one faction.

The alt-right is littered with transitional figures, people like Milo, Stefan Molyneux, Tucker Carlson, Proud Boys, etc. They aren't quite open nazis, but they traffic in the adjacent ideologies like misogyny, transphobia, homophobia, racism, anti-semitism, or just general provocation. They dog whistle and wink at the audience, drawing them further down the path of right wing radicalization.

These people are all fellow travelers, their frequent run-ins together aren't coincidence.

Milo's career at Breitbart was largely as a mechanism to launder and mainstream nationalism and other far right ideologies. Buzzfeed has an excellent article detailing how Milo regularly collaborated with folks from the extreme right while producing watered-down nationalism for the general public:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...te-nationalism

Ironically enough, Milo seemed to have struggled to solidify his place among the alt-right, seemingly because many saw his an an unreliable, opportunistic grifter that wasn't committed to the cause.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th November 2019 at 01:07 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:07 PM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

Ironically enough, Milo seemed to have struggled to solidify his place among the alt-right, seemingly because many saw his an an unreliable, opportunistic grifter that wasn't committed to the cause.
That alone should put him in another category.

I get that he holds abhorrent views but I seriously disagree that not-genocide and genocide are indistinguishable.

Old 6th November 2019, 01:12 PM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More infighting, and this article states that the recent airing of dirty laundry is part of a longer feud going on within the far right.

Spencer's right hand man has been doxxed. Apparently doxxing their own people is the weapon of choice for these goons when it comes to fighting among themselves.

https://itsgoingdown.org/alt-right-t...-in-woke-band/

As far as I can tell, there is a rift opening among the fascists between the Richard Spencer faction and the Nick Fuentes faction, largely due to support of Trump and the old "optics vs purity" conflict. I fully expect more doxxing and nastiness between these fine folks. It's a damn shame.

Yeah, in the extreme right, there is constant splintering because everybody wants to be the Fuehrer.
And it is not just the Neo Nazis. The KKK types are just the same. You have around a dozen differend Klan organization out there, each proclaiming themselves to be the one and only true Klan.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:12 PM   #57
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

That alone should put him in another category.

I get that he holds abhorrent views but I seriously disagree that not-genocide and genocide are indistinguishable.
Milo has spent his career advancing the ideologies in which genocide is the logical conclusion. He hasn't explicitly advocated a policy of genocide, but the reasonable conclusion is that he is at least tolerant of the idea.

You can't assess these people's statement in a vacuum. Milo collaborates and mainstreams neo-nazism, he just takes efforts to hide it more than someone like Spencer.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:15 PM   #58
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see I am not the only one to think of "The Avengers" when watching Spencer's "King of the F----g World" rant. A number of people, in comments section on Spencer's tirade, have posted the video of Loke "Pathetic lost creature" and the Hulk's ragdolling of him that followed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 01:17 PM   #59
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see I am not the only one to think of "The Avengers" when watching Spencer's "King of the F----g World" rant. A number of people, in comments section on Spencer's tirade, have posted the video of Loke "Pathetic lost creature" and the Hulk's ragdolling of him that followed.
Spencer's rant is largely consistent with my own view of the recent history of the alt-right as a political force. The murder at Charlottesville was a disaster for the alt-right and probably marks the high-water mark for their movement. Spencer is correct to be upset.

The salt is delicious.
Old 6th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #60
Mumbles
Philosopher

Milo has spent his career advancing the ideologies in which genocide is the logical conclusion. He hasn't explicitly advocated a policy of genocide, but the reasonable conclusion is that he is at least tolerant of the idea.

You can't assess these people's statement in a vacuum. Milo collaborates and mainstreams neo-nazism, he just takes efforts to hide it more than someone like Spencer.
Co-Sign. Basically, he's the guy saying "What? White nationalists? Those guys aren't a factor. Now let's all attack Leslie Jones with racial slurs because she was in the latest Ghostbusters movie. Isn't it weird how these trannies and blacks seem to be taking over everything and pushing you out, my cis white male friends?"
Old 6th November 2019, 01:52 PM   #61
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Co-Sign. Basically, he's the guy saying "What? White nationalists? Those guys aren't a factor. Now let's all attack Leslie Jones with racial slurs because she was in the latest Ghostbusters movie. Isn't it weird how these trannies and blacks seem to be taking over everything and pushing you out, my cis white male friends?"
Exactly how could anyone possibly think that was racist of him?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 06:13 PM   #62
Venom
Illuminator

Spencer would be the one organizing and participating in the public lynchings.

Yiannopoulos would be in the audience.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2019, 08:10 PM   #63
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Spencer would be the one organizing and participating in the public lynchings.

Yiannopoulos would be in the audience.
Or the victim, complete with yellow star armband.
Old 6th November 2019, 08:38 PM   #64
Thermal
Philosopher

The leaders all share in blame. No matter how they fire up the latent racists, they are firing them up. But the followers feeling normalized are the bigger problem. All the Milos in the world do nothing without a willing army.

Still, it warms the heart to see that these twats go to war with each other by...repeating the words that come out of their mouths. Not by exposing deep secrets or something dignified. Just what they openly say.
Old 7th November 2019, 04:07 AM   #65
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or the victim, complete with yellow star armband.
Pink Triangle surely.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 09:18 AM   #66
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Pink Triangle surely.
Yes, thought of that after I posted.
Old 7th November 2019, 12:18 PM   #67
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I want to make this my ringtone, or use it in place of one of those alarm thingies you can use to scare the **** out of an attacker.

What the hell was he so mad about anyway?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 01:10 PM   #68
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
What the hell was he so mad about anyway?

People exposing the fundamental nature of his movement.
Old 7th November 2019, 01:14 PM   #69
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I am ashamed by how much I enjoyed some of those video mash up with Spencer getting punched. Good tunes and good timing were just too alluring.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2019, 02:58 PM   #70
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I am ashamed by how much I enjoyed some of those video mash up with Spencer getting punched. Good tunes and good timing were just too alluring.
The one set to Hollaback Girl was my favorite
Old 7th November 2019, 05:04 PM   #71
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yes, thought of that after I posted.
I love to annoy Neo Nazis by reminding them of Ernst Rohm..

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th November 2019, 01:01 PM   #72
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think groups like the one described in this article are more dangerous then more obvious and high profile ones like Spencer.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...cid=spartandhp

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th November 2019, 05:33 AM   #73
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

He's also gay and Jewish, which I imagine doesn't sit well with a not inconsiderate portion of his target audience.
Old 10th November 2019, 01:32 PM   #74
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He's also gay and Jewish, which I imagine doesn't sit well with a not inconsiderate portion of his target audience.
Well, yes, the comments section in his "The Alt-Right are just cheerful happy kids!" essay was filled with "alt-right" folks carefully explaining that they wanted to gas him for being gay and jewish. The fact that he's as obvious a grifter as, say, Candace Owens doesn't help matters.
Old 10th November 2019, 03:59 PM   #75
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction: Milo will soul search, undergo a political conversion, write a book, go on an apology tour, and he will still be full of bs though it will be less hateful.
Old 10th November 2019, 04:14 PM   #76
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Prediction: Milo will soul search, undergo a political conversion, write a book, go on an apology tour, and he will still be full of bs though it will be less hateful.
And *may* be accepted by mainstream press for it. He has long claimed that he had been sexually assaulted as a teen by a priest (which, for reference, may have happened, and he has my sympathy for that if it's true), and right before his big break as a champion of Gamergate he was openly contemptuous of gamers, so he's perfectly willing to change his position for money and fame.

For the moment it's not working well - he got banned from a furry convention because people flat out don't want him around, and his numerous hate/harrassment campaigns are going to be tough to overcome - and outright impossible for people who aren't straight white guys. But he certainly has some of that audience (Bill Maher, who I brought up before, being a great example - recall that he was set to be the keynote speaker at CPAC right up until that Joe Rogan interview came up again), and there's a good deal of access that comes with that.
Old 10th November 2019, 04:28 PM   #77
p0lka
Graduate Poster

I have to agree with some small part of Milo's gripe. It is a bit silly that he was deplatformed from pretty much every social media site while people like Spencer remain online.

All these folks should have been exiled to Gab-land years ago.
I don't agree with his politics at all, but I don't get why he suddenly became deplatformed just because he talked about being abused as a minor and being ok with it, personal experience is personal experience after all. Was he supposed to lie about his own experiences?

Last edited by p0lka; 10th November 2019 at 04:34 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #78
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
I don't agree with his politics at all, but I don't get why he suddenly became deplatformed just because he talked about being abused as a minor and being ok with it, personal experience is personal experience after all. Was he supposed to lie about his own experiences?
It's less that, and more that he

a) stated that it's perfectly fine for men to have sex with underaged boys (meaning 12-13 years old);

b) shielded the identities of men that he had supposedly seen molesting "very young" boys (strongly implying well below 12-13 years old).
Old 11th November 2019, 04:58 AM   #79
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Milo was banned from twitter prior to his pedo comments, after a history of reprimands for harassment. Whipping up social media harassment campaigns was his thing, with Gamergate being his big debut as a right-wing hero. He was permanently banned during the all-female Ghostbusters backlash for racist and sexist tweets he sent to Leslie Jones, a black actress.

His benefactors didn't drop him until the whole pedophile interview, and I have a feeling we aren't getting the whole story. I suspect that was just a convenient excuse to get rid of someone they didn't see as valuable anymore. Milo had essentially a single benefactor, the Mercer family via Breitbart, so his career was largely beholden to their whims.

So yeah, his comments about being sexually groomed by an older man is probably among his least despicable. I can easily see these comments as someone trying to rationalize his own sexual exploitation. Then again, empathy isn't really what the far-right is known for, so I'm not holding my breath for a nuanced take on this.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th November 2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11th November 2019, 08:28 AM   #80
Donal
Illuminator

His benefactors didn't drop him until the whole pedophile interview, and I have a feeling we aren't getting the whole story. I suspect that was just a convenient excuse to get rid of someone they didn't see as valuable anymore. Milo had essentially a single benefactor, the Mercer family via Breitbart, so his career was largely beholden to their whims.
I've mentioned this sort of thing before. A lot of these grifters are competing for the same sugar daddies. Whether it be a PAC, a "civic organization", or directly from the sugar daddies, they need to keep someone in power pleased. Once Trump came to power, they probably hit the point of diminishing returns. They are going to cut each other's throats for those dollars. And, then you have to ones who are in it for the ideology.

Candace Owens and Tomi Lahren got into it not too long ago. Dave Rubin has never been fully embraced by the alt-right. Ben Shapiro has been throwing shade at some of his contemporaries. The tap is getting closed an d they are all still thirsty. Outrageous stunts ain't gonna cut it any more (still encouraged though). You have to prove yourself as the one true real one. That means taking out the competition.

Still waiting on the Charlie Kirk vs Candace Owens blow up.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics