IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Robert Menard , Russia conspiracies

Reply
Old 10th March 2021, 06:23 AM   #1
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Is Menard a Russian Agent?

There's a conspiracy theory making the rounds which says Robert Menard is serving as an agent, or possibly just a "useful idiot", for Russian intelligence services.

The theory centers on Menard's insistence that Canadian law may be ignored by any individual who uses his methods. . .methods which have never worked. The theorists say these beliefs, if acted upon, would help to erode Canadian society . . just what the Kremlin wants!

It is pointed out that recently Menard has focused his propaganda efforts on young Canadians who are unaware of his decades of his failures. The CTers say that's just the sort of thing the FSB would advise Menard to do!

They point out what seems to be Menard's recently improved finances and his frequent references to "rich friends". Menard no longer starts go-fund-me pages for his efforts and even claims to have a fantastic new and expensive project in the works.

Who's putting up the cash for this new project? Theorists ask who Menard's new rich friends are? Russian agents funded with mounds of cash?

Who pays for Menard's bills?

Who put Menard in touch with Beth Martens?

Interesting questions, eh?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2021, 07:53 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
This edition of the newsletter is kind of meh, in my opinion. Now, if you were to run an interview with one of the conspiracy theorists, or an in-depth article about them and their theories, that would be different.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2021, 11:40 AM   #3
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Menard won't deny any connection to Russian intelligence services. Neither has he explained his financial connections to the infamous Wilfred Leger.

Inquiring minds want to know.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2021, 12:33 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Menard won't deny any connection to Russian intelligence services. Neither has he explained his financial connections to the infamous Wilfred Leger.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Who? Who are the inquiring minds? When you say a conspiracy theory is making the rounds, who's passing it around? Do they have names? Some online venue where they present and discuss their conspiracy theories? Can we read their theories for ourselves? Can we talk to them about their theories?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 12:36 AM   #5
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
It is widely believed that Wilfred Leger saved Bobby Menard's bacon after the latter was arrested in Ontario for impersonating a peace officer. Bobby, desperate for help, ran to Montreal and holed himself up in a house believed to be owned by Leger. When Bobby ran short of funds Leger helped promote the Ninja Goat. Subsequent promotions by Menard employed Leger as the "money man".

Leger has suspected ties to Russian financiers.

One might ask why Leger and his wealthy Russian associates would bother with a no account like Menard. But the reality is Russian anti-democracy, disinformation specialists routinely feed propaganda and meager funds to potential mouth pieces like Bobby Menard.

Bobby turned out to be cheap trick.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 12:49 AM   #6
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who? Who are the inquiring minds? When you say a conspiracy theory is making the rounds, who's passing it around? Do they have names? Some online venue where they present and discuss their conspiracy theories? Can we read their theories for ourselves? Can we talk to them about their theories?
You must do your own research.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 01:07 AM   #7
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire
 
bluesjnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Home.
Posts: 9,554
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
You must do your own research.
You made the claim, "Inquiring minds want to know". You've been asked to back it up.
__________________
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 03:34 AM   #8
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,098
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Who? Who are the inquiring minds?
Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
You made the claim, "Inquiring minds want to know". You've been asked to back it up.
Jesus you two... "Inquiring minds want to know" doesn't actually mean that there are any actual inquiring minds or that they want to know something. It is just a commonly used internet meme (used for dramatic effect) based on a quote by Sam Emerson, the protagonist in the 1987 Joel Schumacher movie "The Lost Boys"
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 07:09 AM   #9
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,405
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Jesus you two... "Inquiring minds want to know" doesn't actually mean that there are any actual inquiring minds or that they want to know something. It is just a commonly used internet meme (used for dramatic effect) based on a quote by Sam Emerson, the protagonist in the 1987 Joel Schumacher movie "The Lost Boys"
Ah hem.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 10:44 AM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,098
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Ah hem.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Yes indeed...

(and that's one too!)
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 11:48 AM   #11
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 18,923
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Jesus you two... "Inquiring minds want to know" doesn't actually mean that there are any actual inquiring minds or that they want to know something. It is just a commonly used internet meme (used for dramatic effect) based on a quote by Sam Emerson, the protagonist in the 1987 Joel Schumacher movie "The Lost Boys"

It was an 80s ad campaign slogan, for the National Enquirer.
__________________
A zÝmbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 11:51 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
You must do your own research.
It's not my research to do. These are your claims. It's up to you to support them.

And really, all I'm asking is, where you're getting your information. The most direct way for me to "research" that is to ask you, "where are you getting your information?"

For example:

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
It is widely believed that Wilfred Leger saved Bobby Menard's bacon
Widely believed by whom? Where are you getting this information from? Is there some online source where this belief is being discussed by those that believe or dispute it?

Quote:
Leger has suspected ties to Russian financiers.
Suspected by whom? Where are you getting this information from? Is there some online source where these suspicions are being discussed, along with the evidence for and against them?

Quote:
One might ask why Leger and his wealthy Russian associates would bother with a no account like Menard. But the reality is Russian anti-democracy, disinformation specialists routinely feed propaganda and meager funds to potential mouth pieces like Bobby Menard.
Without any sources or evidence, this just sounds like you're JAQ-ing off: Trying to insinuate that Menard is a Russian agent, and that there is substantial support for this idea among people who know things. But you don't actually name anyone or any group that knows anything about this. You don't provide any links to anyone who supports this idea.

You're moving from documenting a conspiracy theory from Menard, to promoting a conspiracy theory about Menard. If, as you insinuate, there is credible evidence that Menard is a Russian agent, then drop the insinuation and present the evidence. If subject-matter experts have good reason to believe this, name the experts and point us to where you found their good reasons laid out.

Quote:
Bobby turned out to be cheap trick.
As far as I can tell, a cheap trick is all he is. Just a garden-variety charlatan working a SovCit scam. As far as I can tell, you're the only one suggesting there might be more to it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 11:56 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Jesus you two... "Inquiring minds want to know" doesn't actually mean that there are any actual inquiring minds or that they want to know something. It is just a commonly used internet meme (used for dramatic effect) based on a quote by Sam Emerson, the protagonist in the 1987 Joel Schumacher movie "The Lost Boys"
The OP seems to be clear that "inquiring minds" is not simply a figure of speech. There are actual people out there with actual questions about Menard's situation. He's talking about actual CTers.

But I admit that I'm open to the possibility that it's all just empty cliches and JAQ-ing off.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 12:45 PM   #14
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
For the record, folks, I don't buy the theory that Menard is a Russian agent. He's just too big a loser for that.

But, I think it's perfectly possible that some internet trolls at a Russian troll farm have Bobby on their list a useful idiots. I have no information to back up this suspicion. It's just a hunch.

All one has to do to get on his friends list is tell him how wonderful he is. So it's not beyond the realm of possibility that some troll in St. Petersburg is paying Bobby's ego like a cheap fiddle.

Now whether the Russians are working with others to get Menard helpful life boosts is another question altogether. Ya' gotta' ask why an at least reasonably smart businessman like Wilfred Leger would pony up for Menard's housing and help back a couple of his schemes, including quite possibly putting up some money for the ninja goat, which any grade school kid could spot as a loser.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 12:50 PM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,405
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The OP seems to be clear that "inquiring minds" is not simply a figure of speech. There are actual people out there with actual questions about Menard's situation. He's talking about actual CTers.

But I admit that I'm open to the possibility that it's all just empty cliches and JAQ-ing off.
Stop taking things too literally.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vJd9khC
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 03:24 PM   #16
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Well we know Leger was the guy people were supposed to send money to in order to buy into a couple of Menard's schemes (including the ninja goat) when Bobby first got to Montreal. Menard was house sitting the house Leger had up for sale.

No, I am not going to post the links to this. Everybody following Bobby knows all about it.

When Bobby's call for investors in the ninja goat fell flat Bobby bragged that he had a financial backer for the project. Leger? A false boast?

But the real question one has is why Leger would latch on to a drunken loser like Bobby who, by his own admission, was depressed at the time. Sympathy for a charming loser on the skids? Lovers? Favors done for a Russian business associate?

Last edited by arayder; 11th March 2021 at 03:29 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 03:41 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Well we know Leger was the guy people were supposed to send money to in order to buy into a couple of Menard's schemes (including the ninja goat) when Bobby first got to Montreal. Menard was house sitting the house Leger had up for sale.

No, I am not going to post the links to this. Everybody following Bobby knows all about it.
Not everybody is following Bobby. Is your newsletter intended only to inform those who are already informed?

Does this conspiracy theory about Menard being a Russian agent exist anywhere online besides the OP of this thread?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 03:52 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Stop taking things too literally.
What things from the OP should I stop taking too literally? For reference, here's what I'm taking literally:

"There's a conspiracy theory making the rounds..."

Is that supposed to be figurative? Is there not a literal conspiracy theory being literally circulated?

"The theorists say..."

Are there not literal theorists? Is nobody literally saying what arayder attributes to them? If so, what is the correct interpretation?

"It is pointed out that..."

Is it not literally pointed out? Is nobody actually pointing out anything?

"They point out..."

Do they not literally point things out?

"Theorists ask..."

Are there not literal theorists? Are they not asking literal questions? Are they literally not asking questions?

If arayder isn't talking about literal theorists literally circulating a literal conspiracy theory, then what is the correct figurative interpretation of the OP?

---

And regardless of the correct figurative interpretation, the OP itself is a literal attempt to circulate a conspiracy theory, by the time-honored method of "just asking questions". arayder isn't saying there's a conspiracy. He's just saying that other people are saying there's a conspiracy. Except, apparently, there are no other people, and there is no conspiracy theory. Just arayder saying there is one... figuratively.

If this is what Menard-following has come to, drumming up rumors of conspiracy theories, then I don't really see the point of following the guy and reporting on his antics at all.

What's next? Florida Man is working for the Chinese government? (I'm not saying, I'm just saying...)
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 05:34 PM   #19
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Well we know Leger was the guy people were supposed to send money to in order to buy into a couple of Menard's schemes (including the ninja goat) when Bobby first got to Montreal. Menard was house sitting the house Leger had up for sale.

No, I am not going to post the links to this. Everybody following Bobby knows all about it.

When Bobby's call for investors in the ninja goat fell flat Bobby bragged that he had a financial backer for the project. Leger? A false boast?

But the real question one has is why Leger would latch on to a drunken loser like Bobby who, by his own admission, was depressed at the time. Sympathy for a charming loser on the skids? Lovers? Favors done for a Russian business associate?
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not everybody is following Bobby. Is your newsletter intended only to inform those who are already informed?
It is not for the ignorant.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Does this conspiracy theory about Menard being a Russian agent exist anywhere online besides the OP of this thread?
Yes.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 05:53 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 33,952
My knowledge of Menard comes entirely from this forum, but based on that, why would the Russkies want him for anything? He's from an unimportant country and has about two and a half followers.
Compare that with Trump, who got 75 million votes in the USA and they've had in their pocket for years.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 06:29 PM   #21
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My knowledge of Menard comes entirely from this forum, but based on that, why would the Russkies want him for anything? He's from an unimportant country and has about two and a half followers.
Compare that with Trump, who got 75 million votes in the USA and they've had in their pocket for years.
Consider that he's merely low hanging fruit for Russian trolls.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 06:41 PM   #22
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Consider that he's merely low hanging fruit for Russian trolls.
I'd rather debate these points with someone who actually believes them.

You're trying to start a fake argument with people who actually agree with you. I'm offering you a real argument instead. Isn't that better?

Last edited by theprestige; 11th March 2021 at 06:43 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 08:18 PM   #23
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
I'd rather not respond to a straw man argument.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 09:59 PM   #24
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,405
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What things from the OP should I stop taking too literally? For reference, here's what I'm taking literally:

"There's a conspiracy theory making the rounds..."

Is that supposed to be figurative? Is there not a literal conspiracy theory being literally circulated?

"The theorists say..."

Are there not literal theorists? Is nobody literally saying what arayder attributes to them? If so, what is the correct interpretation?

"It is pointed out that..."

Is it not literally pointed out? Is nobody actually pointing out anything?

"They point out..."

Do they not literally point things out?

"Theorists ask..."

Are there not literal theorists? Are they not asking literal questions? Are they literally not asking questions?

If arayder isn't talking about literal theorists literally circulating a literal conspiracy theory, then what is the correct figurative interpretation of the OP?

---

And regardless of the correct figurative interpretation, the OP itself is a literal attempt to circulate a conspiracy theory, by the time-honored method of "just asking questions". arayder isn't saying there's a conspiracy. He's just saying that other people are saying there's a conspiracy. Except, apparently, there are no other people, and there is no conspiracy theory. Just arayder saying there is one... figuratively.

If this is what Menard-following has come to, drumming up rumors of conspiracy theories, then I don't really see the point of following the guy and reporting on his antics at all.

What's next? Florida Man is working for the Chinese government? (I'm not saying, I'm just saying...)
It's the Internet.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2021, 10:22 PM   #25
Mojo
Mostly harmless
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Nor Flanden
Posts: 35,779
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
I'd rather not respond to a straw man argument.

I donít see anything posted in ALLCAPS.
__________________
"You got to use your brain." - McKinley Morganfield

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 06:22 AM   #26
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Let's all calm down. It's only a conspiracy theory.

Menard has yet another project in the works. He's suggested it's a big thing. I say big things are waaaay beyond Bobby's skill set. If the project gets going and is driven by Bobby's "rich friends", who Bobby has alluded to, it would be logical to ask who his friends are. If they're Russians or Russian stooges or have ties to Russia, it supports the CT, IMHO.

if the project turns out to be just another scam/fund raising effort that gets Bobby a case of Mooseheads and nothing more then the CT would be unsupported, IMHO.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Stay well.

Last edited by arayder; 12th March 2021 at 06:27 AM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 10:27 AM   #27
TheSupermeerkat
Graduate Poster
 
TheSupermeerkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,776
Bobby could just be lying you know. He's got form for that.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 10:56 AM   #28
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,817
I doubt Menard has the kind of influence that would warrant the attention of a foreign power. I would really doubt he would be worth the investment to flip. A track record of unmitigated failure. So if the Russians have targeted him, I guess that makes the rest of us safe.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 11:49 AM   #29
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Bobby could just be lying you know. He's got form for that.
Yeah, there's always that.

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I doubt Menard has the kind of influence that would warrant the attention of a foreign power. I would really doubt he would be worth the investment to flip. A track record of unmitigated failure. So if the Russians have targeted him, I guess that makes the rest of us safe.
Here in the states we've have well documented cases of Russian trolls filling up alt.right websites and Facebook pages with misinformation: Obama is a secret Muslim, Biden is a pedophile, Trump is coming back March 4th. . .

The idea is to diminish faith in the law and democracy. Stuff gets posted then shared and the troll's 2 minutes of effort goes viral.

So here's Menard telling Canadians their Constitution does apply to them and they don't have to follow the law because they never contracted to do so.

How much time would it take a troll at the St. Petersburg troll farm to friend Menard, tell him to keep it up, tell him he's saved his life and encourage him start another "project"?

Just a thought.

Last edited by arayder; 12th March 2021 at 12:05 PM.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 12:36 PM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
How much time would it take a troll at the St. Petersburg troll farm to friend Menard, tell him to keep it up, tell him he's saved his life and encourage him start another "project"?

Just a thought.
You're equivocating between this thought and the testable hypothesis you've actually put forth as your conspiracy theory:

Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Menard has yet another project in the works. He's suggested it's a big thing. I say big things are waaaay beyond Bobby's skill set. If the project gets going and is driven by Bobby's "rich friends", who Bobby has alluded to, it would be logical to ask who his friends are. If they're Russians or Russian stooges or have ties to Russia, it supports the CT, IMHO.

if the project turns out to be just another scam/fund raising effort that gets Bobby a case of Mooseheads and nothing more then the CT would be unsupported, IMHO.
So what's your actual proposal here? Are you just speculating that a Russian troll farm might be engaging in a relatively low-cost encouragement effort?

Or are you speculating that Russian agents might actually be spending substantial amounts of real money on him?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 03:11 PM   #31
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Another straw man argument. Do you have any other tricks in your bag? Or is our bag just a little tiny thang?
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 03:24 PM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Another straw man argument. Do you have any other tricks in your bag? Or is our bag just a little tiny thang?
Not a straw man at all. As the quoted passages show, you really are speculating about these things.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 04:22 PM   #33
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Another straw man argument. Do you have any other tricks in your bag? Or is our bag just a little tiny thang?
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not a straw man at all. As the quoted passages show, you really are speculating about these things.
Duh? CTs are speculation.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 04:26 PM   #34
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,742
Who is Menard, and why should I even begin to care?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 05:06 PM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 58,582
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Duh? CTs are speculation.
Like I said, you're speculating. For example, you're speculating that Menard might be getting paid for a future project by Russian sponsors. You even put this forward as a testable hypothesis.

Why are you speculating about CTs you don't actually believe?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 06:37 PM   #36
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Who is Menard, and why should I even begin to care?
Simply put Menard tells Canadians that by following his instructions they may opt out of the rule of law. That's a bald faced lie. Menard himself has been arrested, jailed, dragged into court by the very authority he fantasies don't exist.

He tells Canadians they can raid the national treasury while their neighbors work to build their families and their communities.

This sort of anti-democracy, anti-freedom, anti-personal responsibility tripe is exactly the sort of propaganda Canada's enemies o to love hear.

Bobby Menard is a traitor to Canada.

His daddy is rolling in his grave.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 09:30 PM   #37
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,085
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Simply put Menard tells Canadians that by following his instructions they may opt out of the rule of law. That's a bald faced lie. Menard himself has been arrested, jailed, dragged into court by the very authority he fantasies don't exist.

He tells Canadians they can raid the national treasury while their neighbors work to build their families and their communities.

This sort of anti-democracy, anti-freedom, anti-personal responsibility tripe is exactly the sort of propaganda Canada's enemies o to love hear.

Bobby Menard is a traitor to Canada.

His daddy is rolling in his grave.
There are lots of bad people in the world. Some of them are more consequential than Menard, whose days of even modest influence are long past. I'm kinda perplexed why you want to engage in this particular conspiracy theory, which you introduced as if other people were discussing but you were quite coy about who and where. Now the pretence seems to be gone and you're adding new "questions" about Russian funding and troll farms encouraging this pimple on a gnat's butt.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 09:42 PM   #38
arayder
Master Poster
 
arayder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
There are lots of bad people in the world. Some of them are more consequential than Menard, whose days of even modest influence are long past. I'm kinda perplexed why you want to engage in this particular conspiracy theory, which you introduced as if other people were discussing but you were quite coy about who and where. Now the pretence seems to be gone and you're adding new "questions" about Russian funding and troll farms encouraging this pimple on a gnat's butt.
Like I've said all along at best Bobby is just low hanging fruit.

The CT caught on in places, like Beth Martens youtube comments section, were she being loath to hear anything bad about Bobby, promptly look the gentlemens' conversations down.

But it made me wonder.
arayder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 09:59 PM   #39
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,742
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Like I've said all along at best Bobby is just low hanging fruit.

The CT caught on in places, like Beth Martens youtube comments section, were she being loath to hear anything bad about Bobby, promptly look the gentlemens' conversations down.

But it made me wonder.
OK, who is Beth Marten, and why should I care?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2021, 10:01 PM   #40
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 11,742
Originally Posted by arayder View Post
Simply put Menard tells Canadians that by following his instructions they may opt out of the rule of law. That's a bald faced lie. Menard himself has been arrested, jailed, dragged into court by the very authority he fantasies don't exist.
Sounds like he is getting what is coming to him already.


Quote:
He tells Canadians they can raid the national treasury while their neighbors work to build their families and their communities.

This sort of anti-democracy, anti-freedom, anti-personal responsibility tripe is exactly the sort of propaganda Canada's enemies o to love hear.

Bobby Menard is a traitor to Canada.

His daddy is rolling in his grave.
Blad-de-blah.

So who is Menard's daddy, and why should I care?
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:06 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.