IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags evps , ghost hunting , ghosts

Old 26th February 2005, 01:07 PM   #1
mayday
Graduate Poster

Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Hey man, like dig, me and the kids and our trusty dog are heading to a local cemetery tonight to try for some EVP's and photos. I will be more than happy to post anything we get. I'm going to use my old fashioned tape playing recorder rather than my digital recorder because the digital recorder picks up so much background noise.
I will call Staples and Office Max to see if they have a program that will let you transfer your recordings onto a computer.
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2005, 01:17 PM   #2
Vortex
Thinker

Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Originally posted by mayday
Hey man, like dig, me and the kids and our trusty dog are heading to a local cemetery tonight to try for some EVP's and photos.
Ho-hum.
Quote:
I will be more than happy to post anything we get.
I already hear crickets.
Quote:
I'm going to use my old fashioned tape playing recorder rather than my digital recorder because the digital recorder picks up so much background noise.
Oooh, yeah, that'll bring out da spooks... lol.
Vortex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
DangerousBeliefs
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Hey man, like dig, me and the kids and our trusty dog are heading to a local cemetery tonight to try for some EVP's and photos. I will be more than happy to post anything we get. I'm going to use my old fashioned tape playing recorder rather than my digital recorder because the digital recorder picks up so much background noise.
I will call Staples and Office Max to see if they have a program that will let you transfer your recordings onto a computer.
Good for you mayday. 59 posts and no evidence. Will be nice to see (or hear).

Do keep in mind with photos that we're well aware of smoke/mist and dust particles being mis-identified as ghosts.

Fuji Film explains dust particles
Old 26th February 2005, 01:44 PM   #4
Vortex
Thinker

Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Originally posted by DangerousBeliefs
Do keep in mind with photos that we're well aware of smoke/mist and dust particles being mis-identified as ghosts.
Indeed. That reminds me of a friend who was showing me a couple of pictures that he claimed had "orbs" on it. I told him they were just dust particles so I then shook out the rug and had him immediately take a digital pic of it... sure enough, "orbs" all over the image.
Vortex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Vikram
Muse

Quote:
I am extremely interested in taking a listen to the data you obtain.
Old 26th February 2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Quote:
Just go to http://www.allsoundrecorder.com/ and you will find lots of links to free software to record your tape as a mp3. All you'll need to do is plug your tape recorder into your sound card and record. (Normally it's just a simple cable with two 3.5 plugs, one goes into the "line out" of your tape recorder, one goes into the "line in" on your PC/audio card. If you then need somewhere to host it on line drop me a PM and I’ll send you details that will let you upload it to some spare webspace of mine.)
Old 26th February 2005, 09:28 PM   #7
The Mighty Thor
Muse

Quote:
A fun night out for the kids What do you plan next -- an ouija session followed by an exorcism?

I think what you mean about your recording is that the digital recorder is not producing what you want to hear -- it's too "clear".

Why would EVP only appear on tape?

Sir Walter Scott
[/size]
The Mighty Thor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Chocolate Chip
Muse

Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Thor
A fun night out for the kids What do you plan next -- an ouija session followed by an exorcism?
Perhaps she will be checking the bigfoot traps she has set.
Quote:
I was wondering because I am in the planning stanges of building a trap to catch Bigfoot. It will have to be a very strong trap because Yeti has escaped everytime someone has tried to catch it.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...threadid=52280
Old 27th February 2005, 09:56 AM   #9
Nex
Forum Turnip

There's trollin' afoot here at the JREF ranch.

Old 27th February 2005, 10:53 AM   #10
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Quote:
Hey man, like dig, me and the kids and our trusty dog are heading to a local cemetery tonight to try for some EVP's and photos.
The quality of your evidence may be improved if you limit the number of entities (kids) that might intentionally or unintentionally make noise on your recording.

Just saying.
Old 27th February 2005, 11:28 AM   #11
mayday
Graduate Poster

I guess anyone who doesn't share your little world view is a troll.

I was feeling very depressed last night and didn't make it to the cemetery. Feeling depressed today but might get out there this evening. The more depressed I get, the more weight I gain, and the more weight I gain, the more depressed I get. maybe some of you scientists understand the depth of this problem and can help me...I used to be a fair looking person, now I think you couldn't tell the difference between me and Kirstie Alley from behind. Funny, someone told me once I reminded them of her...now I guess I do even moreso.
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2005, 11:49 AM   #12
Vikram
Muse

Quote:
The more depressed I get, the more weight I gain, and the more weight I gain, the more depressed I get. maybe some of you scientists understand the depth of this problem and can help me...
Unfortunately, weight and depression often form a well-recognised vicious cycle. You should seek help for that. A doctor or therapist might help get to the root of it and help you formulate a good dietary plan to control your weight. Hey - Oprah did it, who can't you? :-)
Old 27th February 2005, 11:54 AM   #13
Lisa Simpson

Quote:

I was feeling very depressed last night and didn't make it to the cemetery. Feeling depressed today but might get out there this evening. The more depressed I get, the more weight I gain, and the more weight I gain, the more depressed I get. maybe some of you scientists understand the depth of this problem and can help me...I used to be a fair looking person, now I think you couldn't tell the difference between me and Kirstie Alley from behind. Funny, someone told me once I reminded them of her...now I guess I do even moreso.
Actually, going for a walk is pretty good for depression (but do go to the doctor as well). So maybe tonight, even if you are feeling down, go for that walk looking for ghosts. Hope you feel better.
Lisa Simpson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2005, 05:15 AM   #14
The Mighty Thor
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Simpson
Actually, going for a walk is pretty good for depression (but do go to the doctor as well). So maybe tonight, even if you are feeling down, go for that walk looking for ghosts. Hope you feel better.
Agreed.

Remember, mayday, one in five of us will suffer depression at some time in our lives. It is not something that can be self-treated. Nobody nowadays is likely to say "pull yourself together" or suchlike. Most people know someone who has suffered from depression, or have suffered themselves.

It can seem like a dark hole.

But it CAN be treated. It needs to be treated.

Take care of yourself.

I wish you well

Sir Walter Scott
[/size]
The Mighty Thor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2005, 06:41 AM   #15
Ashles
Pith Artist

Quote:
I guess anyone who doesn't share your little world view is a troll.

I know depression is a very serious issue and you have my sympathy for that Mayday.

But does it not strike you as odd that with all your beliefs in the afterlife and souls and eternal life, they don't seem to help you with your depression?
If I was convinced in all these abilities and knew the afterlife was real I would be ecstatic all day every day.

But what we often find is people with strong belifs in paranormal ability often have great depresion and emotional issues.

In the past it has led me to wonder if emotional issues and depression may not often be the actual root cause in leading to a greater need to believe in something more. A belief that is unfortunate in that it never has any evidence to back it up.

Again it is part of a cycle.

As genuine advice I am not sure that an obsession with looking for audio proof for the afterlife will help you a great deal in the long run.
I have met several people who immersed themselves too much in looking for paranormal and 'alternative' phenomena when they had pressing personal issues that they were avoiding.
I hope that doesn't apply to you Mayday.

But depression can be treated and it really can get better (although it doesn't feel like it at the time). Again I know people who have suffered from it dreadfully and are now much, much better.

If you do all the EVP stuff as a fun hobby then fair enough Mayday.

But if you feel there are some personal issues that you don't feel strong enough to deal with at the moment, then I would really recommend that you talk to someone who can help. Concentrate on making yourself feel better, rather than distracting yourself with trying to find proof of the paranormal.

Maybe you have had a bad experience with a counsellor or psychologist before. If so then try another - there will be one who can help.
And talking to trusted friends or relatives will help too.
Old 28th February 2005, 06:57 AM   #16
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Having failed to get a really good rise on various JREF type topics, bigfig (sorry, mayday) now reverts to the "poor-me" tactics.

Anything to get some attention.

Hans
Old 1st March 2005, 06:23 AM   #17
mayday
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashles
I know depression is a very serious issue and you have my sympathy for that Mayday.

But does it not strike you as odd that with all your beliefs in the afterlife and souls and eternal life, they don't seem to help you with your depression?
If I was convinced in all these abilities and knew the afterlife was real I would be ecstatic all day every day.

But what we often find is people with strong belifs in paranormal ability often have great depresion and emotional issues.

I don't necessarily believe in an afterlife, I just think it is a possibility. And even if I was sure there was an afterlife, no, that wouldn't help with the depression. It goes deeper than that. I am certain it has something to do with your brain chemistry. There are times when I have nothing at all to feel depressed about. I want to feel happy, but even thinking happy thoughts I feel like there is a dark oppressive cloud weighing me down. Depression works in odd and mysterious ways.

MRC Hans, you creep. You're so cynical it's kind of sad. I think it would help my depression a great deal if I could take one of my empty Lexapro bottles and stick it up your...
Old 1st March 2005, 06:41 AM   #18
Ashles
Pith Artist

Quote:
I don't necessarily believe in an afterlife, I just think it is a possibility. And even if I was sure there was an afterlife, no, that wouldn't help with the depression. It goes deeper than that. I am certain it has something to do with your brain chemistry. There are times when I have nothing at all to feel depressed about. I want to feel happy, but even thinking happy thoughts I feel like there is a dark oppressive cloud weighing me down. Depression works in odd and mysterious ways.
Well I hope you find someone who can help you with it.

Depression is awful. It quite literally sucks the life out of you and the will to even get out of bed.
Many times it is just your own brain chemistry very unhelpfully working against you. When that happens it totally bypasses any ability you have to "feel positive" or "do something nice" etc. that people recommend.
Depression laughs in the face of such attempts to fight it. It just smothers you and won't let go.

But it can be treated.

It is important to find out whether it is because of any particular aspects of your life that needs changing, or whether it is directly and solely a chemical imbalance.

Good luck.

(I hope it doesn't mean you can't still post the EVP recordings )
Old 1st March 2005, 06:49 AM   #19
Blondin
Muse

Minor derail

"You can fool with your brother, but don't mess with a Missionary Man" - Pope John-Paul

I could have sworn that was Annie Lennox.
Blondin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2005, 07:05 AM   #20
Flo
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by MRC_Hans
Having failed to get a really good rise on various JREF type topics, bigfig (sorry, mayday) now reverts to the "poor-me" tactics.

Anything to get some attention.

Hans

Why change a recipe that proved, and still proves, successfull ?
Flo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2005, 07:35 AM   #21
Ashles
Pith Artist

Re: Minor derail

Quote:
Originally posted by Blondin
"You can fool with your brother, but don't mess with a Missionary Man" - Pope John-Paul

I could have sworn that was Annie Lennox.
It is really.
I just thought it would sound more interesting if the Pope declared it by papal decree.
Old 1st March 2005, 08:59 AM   #22
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vortex
Indeed. That reminds me of a friend who was showing me a couple of pictures that he claimed had "orbs" on it. I told him they were just dust particles so I then shook out the rug and had him immediately take a digital pic of it... sure enough, "orbs" all over the image.
Here is a picture of my cat being followed by ghosts:
http://members.aol.com/plittle/catorbs.jpg
Here is a close up of the ghost:
http://members.aol.com/plittle/orbcloseup.jpg
More can be found here:
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/Auror...on/entries/934

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 09:10 AM   #23
mayday
Graduate Poster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8wight
Here is a picture of my cat being followed by ghosts:
http://members.aol.com/plittle/catorbs.jpg
Here is a close up of the ghost:
http://members.aol.com/plittle/orbcloseup.jpg
More can be found here:
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/Auror...on/entries/934
I'm not impressed with orb pics. I have actual full body images from photos taken at my farm, and I know they are real because I was the one who took them.

I still haven't made it out to the cenetery yet, but I hope to soon. Yesterday I went and got a couple of small Oscar fish to brighten up my aquarium and thought it would put me in a better mood, those monsters ATE EVERY ONE of my tetras and now they are picking on my catfish! They keep that up they will go on a tour of the septic tank.
Old 2nd March 2005, 09:15 AM   #24
Blondin
Muse

Mayday, have you or can you post your photos somewhere so we can see them?
Blondin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 09:45 AM   #25
jambo372
Graduate Poster

Can you see the faces in the pictures ?
Old 2nd March 2005, 10:06 AM   #26
jmercer
Penultimate Amazing

How's that golem research coming, Jambo?
jmercer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 02:32 PM   #27
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
I'm not impressed with orb pics. I have actual full body images from photos taken at my farm, and I know they are real because I was the one who took them.
Can you post them?

Quote:
Yesterday I went and got a couple of small Oscar fish to brighten up my aquarium and thought it would put me in a better mood, those monsters ATE EVERY ONE of my tetras and now they are picking on my catfish! They keep that up they will go on a tour of the septic tank.
Did you not do any research before buying a new species of fish to add to your aquarium? No, don't answer that, I can see that you didn't. You didn't bother to look closely at the web page I directed you to either.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2005, 05:12 PM   #28
Vikram
Muse

Hi Mayday,

Any progress in the Ghost Hunt?
Old 3rd March 2005, 08:50 AM   #29
mayday
Graduate Poster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:

Did you not do any research before buying a new species of fish to add to your aquarium? No, don't answer that, I can see that you didn't. You didn't bother to look closely at the web page I directed you to either.
I did look at the webpages you posted. What do you want me to say? They looked like dust particles to me, but that is a cute kitty cat.
Old 3rd March 2005, 09:31 AM   #30
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
I did look at the webpages you posted. What do you want me to say? They looked like dust particles to me, but that is a cute kitty cat.
Interesting response...

...in that you completely ignored the first point, and my request regarding it, which echoed the request made by another poster...

...hello, are you there?

Don't worry about making a long, drawn out reply. Just select from this list:

a) I don't know where the pictures are right now, so I can't post them.

b) I don't have a scanner, so I can't post them.

c) It doesn't matter if I post them or not, you nasty skeptics will just pick them apart, so I won't post them.

d) The dog ate them.

Old 3rd March 2005, 12:47 PM   #31
Vikram
Muse

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:
Don't worry about making a long, drawn out reply. Just select from this list:

a) I don't know where the pictures are right now, so I can't post them.

b) I don't have a scanner, so I can't post them.

c) It doesn't matter if I post them or not, you nasty skeptics will just pick them apart, so I won't post them.

d) The dog ate them.
This list is unfair. There's no option for 'The cat ate them.'
Old 3rd March 2005, 01:05 PM   #32
jmercer
Penultimate Amazing

That's because the cat's currently on Planet X.
jmercer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2005, 02:02 PM   #33
Palimpsest
Ergaster Homo

Quote:

Uh... Extra-Vehicular Perception?

(google, google)

Oh! Electronic Voice Phenomena. Right. That makes more sense.
Palimpsest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2005, 04:51 PM   #34
Vikram
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by jmercer

I'm curious - how and when did this concept of 'Planet X' originate? I see it mentioned quite a lot on this forum, especially in reference to polls.
Old 3rd March 2005, 07:15 PM   #35
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Quote:
Originally posted by jmercer
I thought the cat was in the box...

Old 4th March 2005, 07:33 AM   #36
Yaotl
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I thought the cat was in the box...
It may or may not be.
Old 7th March 2005, 05:26 AM   #37
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ghost Hunt Tonite!!! Be there or BeWare!

Quote:

I still haven't made it out to the cenetery yet, but I hope to soon. Yesterday I went and got a couple of small Oscar fish to brighten up my aquarium and thought it would put me in a better mood, those monsters ATE EVERY ONE of my tetras and now they are picking on my catfish! They keep that up they will go on a tour of the septic tank.
Well, predatory fish tend to do just that. Anything small enough to swallow is food in their book.

So, you are a person who don't cannot even manage to look up the eating habits of the fish you consider putting into your aquarium. And now you want to punish the poor things for following their nature. So why exactly do you expect us to think you have a clue about other things?

Well, it is hard to be depressed, but seeking things that exist only in never-never land won't help you. Perhaps you should work on getting a grip on your life before you try to catch ghosts, let alone Bigfoot.

Or, if you need to make small-talk on the internet, do that, but then cut out all the other crap.

Hans
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:19 PM   #38
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Last edited by El Greco; 2nd November 2021 at 03:21 PM.
El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:04 AM   #39
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I expect that her ghost hunting endeavor went about as well as her cheerleading endeavor.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 08:12 AM   #40
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

On the other hand, this thread appears to have come back from the dead.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal