ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:43 PM   #41
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Always surprises me when I here these US cheque stories that they still use them.

It is supposed to be one of the most forunner countries in technology but can't just do automatic payments from one account to another over night
Good points. Can’t remember the last time I used a check. Everything is done by direct deposit, bank transfers, or cards.
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:54 PM   #42
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

100k really they got him looking like a complete fool in the write ups which is probably what they were going for

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 23rd January 2020 at 06:56 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:56 PM   #43
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Only one of Thomas's checks was under $10,000.
Nope - read again! All three checks were over $10k.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:58 PM   #44
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

They made no mention of race just his angry lookin pic
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:02 PM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tbf to the bank it is a bit of an odd situation.

Tbf to the dude they should have just made a few phone calls and not be such dim.

Tbf to the cops they shouldn't have to deal with such stupid call outs.

Tbf to the ex-employer at least they just paid out quick by the sounds for whatever they did.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:15 PM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The most interesting thing about this story is the black bank manager who tried to railroad a black customer. What's up with that?
Banks is banks. I once was party in a suit against a bank (long story and old history) and the lawyer in the affair put it succinctly, I think: "never underestimate the rapacity of banks."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:16 PM   #47
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Banks in the U.S. are required to report transactions over $10,000 to the IRS for (in theory) detection of of tax evasion and money laundering. Because of this, they're generally also on the lookout for situations where it looks like someone is trying to evade the reporting and detection by using multiple checks, each under $10,000, for the same transaction.

Only one of Thomas's checks was under $10,000. The other two (had the bank accepted them) would have been reported normally. But it's possible that "oh, look, three checks at the same time from the same issuer to the same person" triggered a reflexive response regardless of the specific amounts. Which could explain their suspicion that something fraudulent was going on.

And what explains their calling the police, instead of just reporting the "suspicious" transaction(s) as required to the IRS? My guess for that would be, racial discrimination.
Actually, banks are required to report cash deposits of $10,000.00 or more, not transactions involving checks. Structuring involves making cash deposits in amounts less than $10,000.00 in order to avoid avoid reporting requirements.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:16 PM   #48
marting
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Actually, banks are required to report cash deposits of $10,000.00 or more, not transactions involving checks. Structuring involves making cash deposits in amounts less than $10,000.00 in order to avoid avoid reporting requirements.
Right. And banks also are required to report suspicious cash or cash equiv transactions of sizes well under $10,000. Unlike the 10k transactions, banks are forbidden from informing the customer but secretly file Suspicious Activity Reports with the Feds. Most money laundering and "structuring" charges come about from these SARs, not the 10K filings. See former House Speaker Haster's great adventure.
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:30 PM   #49
Checkmite

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Why does the US still use so many cheques?
No idea, honestly. It is a painfully slow and inefficient process.

If I had to make up a reason, I would say that checks are their own physical receipts and that characteristic may come in handy for evidentiary purposes. But since digital forensics and bank records exist, it is an outdated practice even for that purpose.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:36 PM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

If I had to make up a reason, I would say that checks are their own physical receipts and that characteristic may come in handy for evidentiary purposes. But since digital forensics and bank records exist, it is an outdated practice even for that purpose.
Fair call.

I suppose the other thing given the size is that you can't just make a blanket "new" way for family businesses etc.

Easy here as we are piddly relatively.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:37 PM   #51
Baylor
Philosopher

Not everyone has a bank account and it's not possible to transfer funds electronically to a non-existent bank account. So getting rid of checks would have a negative impact on low-income communities.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 08:43 PM   #52
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Not everyone has a bank account and it's not possible to transfer funds electronically to a non-existent bank account. So getting rid of checks would have a negative impact on low-income communities.
That is actually a point I hadn't thought of and a good one.

I suppose if someone has no permanent address eg bank accounts are an issue. (Are here tbf)

Old 23rd January 2020, 08:55 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The guy just won a racial discrimination suit; he told the bank this fact, and what does the bank do - it discriminates against him again

I guess "stupid" and "tone deafness" must be job requirements to work at that bank!?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:18 PM   #54
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
That's true, although the trend in modern times in such cases is for the payor to still provide the money in the form of a prepaid debit card. That is the default means by which social security payments are made to individuals with no bank account, IIRC. I believe you can specially request paper checks, but they are discouraged because it's much easier for a paper check to be lost or stolen and cashed by someone else.
Old 24th January 2020, 02:13 AM   #55
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningSome bickering has been moved to AAH. Please keep to the topic of the thread, thank you.
Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 03:20 AM   #56
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by fritznien View Post
lets hope he does better with his next settlement checks.
He should go to the same branch of the bank to deposit them and when they treat him the same way...

He could be on a lucrative money making scheme!

More seriously : can banks publicly disclose how much money you have in your account?
Old 24th January 2020, 03:21 AM   #57
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Let me get this straight. This guy wanted to cash a $13,000 check when his account only had 52 cents in it. Yes, I know the check wasn't drawn on his account, but one of the ways banks protect themselves from check-kiting schemes is to place a hold against your account for the amount of the check cashed. Pretty obvious problem there.
Which he said was fine.
Old 24th January 2020, 06:45 AM   #58
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marting View Post
Right. And banks also are required to report suspicious cash or cash equiv transactions of sizes well under $10,000. Unlike the 10k transactions, banks are forbidden from informing the customer but secretly file Suspicious Activity Reports with the Feds. Most money laundering and "structuring" charges come about from these SARs, not the 10K filings. See former House Speaker Haster's great adventure.
They are required to REPORT it. And it's no different here in Europe too. You get a large deposit for whatever reason, some agency gets an automatic notification, which in turn may decide to investigate it.

They are NOT however required to give you a hard time about it, or decide to call the cops instead. It's not the bank's job to investigate, really.

In fact doing so is going against the whole idea of it being done secretly and refraining from informing the customer. Once they refused to take your money and called the cops on you, it's not much of a secret any more, is it?

In fact, it's downright stupid, as attempts to supposedly prevent fraud and money laundering go. If there is some investigation into some fraud or money laundering scheme in progress, and you start basically informing the people involved by starting to refuse taking their money and whatnot, you may have actually compromised that investigation.
Old 24th January 2020, 06:51 AM   #59
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Sounds like a pretty amateur bank. Was it the one from that stupid old Xmas movie?
Old 24th January 2020, 07:55 AM   #60
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sounds like a pretty amateur bank. Was it the one from that stupid old Xmas movie?
That wasn't a proper bank. It was a savings and loan and it went down in a scandal in the 90s.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:02 AM   #61
carlitos
"más divertido"

Underscoring the plain simple truth of this, a disgusted Thomas finally stopped trying to argue his case at TCF and closed his account, taking his "suspicious" checks and walking a block down the street to a Chase bank, where he did not have an account.
Quote:
Thomas closed his TCF account that day and left the premises. Within an hour, he deposited the checks into a new account at a Chase bank in Detroit. They cleared within 12 hours. Thomas, who had no car and walked to work, used the money to buy a 2004 Dodge Durango.
He may walk to work, but he probably didn't walk to a Chase bank in Detroit. Livonia is a suburb about 20 miles outside of Detroit.

Last edited by carlitos; 24th January 2020 at 08:03 AM.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:06 AM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If you want into a bank and try to cash 13,000 dollars, three times over from the "Ted's Pawnshop" that's one thing.

But this was a federal settlement. Which means these were government checks. Government checks are A) practically cash and B) piss easy to verify.

If it was really about "Oh they were just suspicious and doing their job" the story would have began and ending with him sitting in the lobby for 15 minutes tops while they made one phone call to verify the checks.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:11 AM   #63
Belz...
Fiend God

So, on the advice of his attorney, Thomas is suing the bank.
If he wins, he should go back to that bank to deposit the settlement checks, just to see how far this chain of suits can go.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:11 AM   #64
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If he wins, he should go back to that bank to deposit the settlement checks, just to see how far this chain of suits can go.
They don't cash them, so he sues them, then goes to another bank.

Soon he's worth several trillion dollars but it's all locked up in uncashed checks.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:30 AM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

Only one of Thomas's checks was under $10,000.
According to the OP the smaller check was 13,000.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:40 AM   #66
Thermal
Philosopher

When a guy with less than a dollar in his account suddenly walks in with tens of thousands of dollars in multiple checks and tries to cash one, it's absolutely fair to throw up your antenna.

But I can't think of a legit reason in the world to not deposit the funds as requested, and allow them to process and clear, like any other transaction.

Some banks, though, credit your deposit as cash for the first $100 (my bank) to $250 (my wife's). Since the man was also asking for a new debit card, they may have been playing defense for this type of lower-end hustle. Still wrong, as they are sure to find out from Julie in Legal right pronto.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:54 AM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Banks is banks. I once was party in a suit against a bank (long story and old history) and the lawyer in the affair put it succinctly, I think: "never underestimate the rapacity of banks."
Banks is banks, but banks is also people. She's a branch manager for a consumer services bank. There's not a lot of scope for rapacity in that job, regardless of how rapacious the parent institution may be. I'd expect her to be a decent human being, working a decent job and taking home a decent paycheck. I'd not expect her to be some Wall Street Gordon Gecko type raptor of innocent customers.

And thus I'd expect that her reaction was not because she's the avatar of a rapacious institution.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 08:57 AM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Barely acceptable:
"There's no way one of you people could have gotten this much money legitimately. You sit right there while I make some calls... Well, it looks like these checks are okay. I'm going to process the deposit, but I'm keeping my eye on you."
Unacceptable:
"There's no way one of you people could have gotten this much money legitimately. These checks are fake. I'm calling the cops."
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 09:00 AM   #69
Thermal
Philosopher

Barely acceptable:
"There's no way one of you people could have gotten this much money legitimately. You sit right there while I make some calls... Well, it looks like these checks are okay. I'm going to process the deposit, but I'm keeping my eye on you."
Unacceptable:
"There's no way one of you people could have gotten this much money legitimately. These checks are fake. I'm calling the cops."
Um...no. Not even barely.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 09:04 AM   #70
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Barely acceptable:
I'd file that under "Unacceptable." "Acceptable" starts with "This is a little irregular so I hope you don't mind if I make a few checks," and ends with "Everything appears to be in order, sir, my apologies for the delay." As soon as the cause for the enquiries even appears to be the race of the customer rather than the nature of the transaction, the line has been crossed.

Dave

- Myriad

Last edited by Dave Rogers; 24th January 2020 at 09:06 AM.
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 09:15 AM   #71
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Banks is banks, but banks is also people. She's a branch manager for a consumer services bank. There's not a lot of scope for rapacity in that job, regardless of how rapacious the parent institution may be. I'd expect her to be a decent human being, working a decent job and taking home a decent paycheck. I'd not expect her to be some Wall Street Gordon Gecko type raptor of innocent customers.

And thus I'd expect that her reaction was not because she's the avatar of a rapacious institution.
Actually, unless "rapacious" started meaning something else than basically very greedy, I fail to see why people think that it is synonymous with frikken stupid. Even without being a decent human being at all, if you want to make a lot of money as a bank, being abusive to your customers is NOT the way to go about it. Being nasty to customers and getting into news of this kind isn't conducive to satisfying greed.

And I'm not talking just about whatever they didn't get from this guy or what they'll lose in the settlement. We're in an age where companies care very much about their public image, which in turn also depends on who they do business with.

I would expect that the muppet who did this will get fired and possibly even sued by the bank, just so the bank salvages as much as they can of their image. Precisely BECAUSE they are a rapacious institution. Because if they stay in the news as "the racist bank", they'll lose a lot of accounts from people who don't want to end up being publicly associated with "the racist bank". And losing a bunch of accounts is plainly counterproductive towards satisfying that rapaciousness.
Old 24th January 2020, 09:39 AM   #72
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also it's 2020. The idea that there's still points where a bank is looking at a check and going "Oh jeez there's no way of knowing if this check is valid or not" and it taking more time then... no time at all to get out of that dilemma is insane.
Old 24th January 2020, 09:56 AM   #73
Thermal
Philosopher

I don't think banks are in the habit of calling each other up to discuss the legitimacy of individual checks in the 21st century. I think they rather intentionally discourage that, and encourage allowing the check to clear through their usual overnight (or however long) processing system. I further think allowing tellers to single people out to verify individual deposits is just begging for harassment suits.

Old 24th January 2020, 01:12 PM   #74
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I don't think banks are in the habit of calling each other up to discuss the legitimacy of individual checks in the 21st century. I think they rather intentionally discourage that, and encourage allowing the check to clear through their usual overnight (or however long) processing system. I further think allowing tellers to single people out to verify individual deposits is just begging for harassment suits.
"He was acting strangely!"
"How so?"
"Well, he was a black guy, and tried to deposit a very large check."
Old 24th January 2020, 03:12 PM   #75
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I am still calling bs and am keeping my TCF account. It’s a good bank and unlike you, not afraid to work in the ghetto.

You actually can’t call in checks anymore because banks don’t have time for it. I worked at a check cashing place and cashing large fraudulent checks was mainly a white mans game. Blacks generally went for smaller checks

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 24th January 2020 at 03:18 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 03:23 PM   #76
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I seem to remember cashing a 25k check that a bunch a black kids brought in. They said that their dad owned a Burger King. For sure I would have called it in though
Old 24th January 2020, 03:28 PM   #77
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Check cashing places cash probably 2500 buck a day in bad checks but make around 25k. I doubt a ghetto bank makes that in a month
Old 24th January 2020, 03:33 PM   #78
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

You are saying that people who live in ghettos have to go to a dirty dangerous expensive check cashing place because there’s no bank. I am mortally offended
Old 24th January 2020, 03:33 PM   #79
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I am still calling bs and am keeping my TCF account. It’s a good bank and unlike you, not afraid to work in the ghetto.
You're "calling bs?" Well, as long as you've got the facts on your side!

Also, "unlike" whom? Do you really know that much about the people posting in this thread to so confidently declare what they are and are not afraid to do?

*You* should probably start using the quote system if *you* are going to use the word "you" so much.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2020, 03:36 PM   #80
Checkmite

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Check cashing places cash probably 2500 buck a day in bad checks but make around 25k. I doubt a ghetto bank makes that in a month
A quick trip around Livonia on StreetView shows that it is the opposite of a ghetto. Less than 8% of the residents of Livonia are below the federal poverty line.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events