ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mediums , psychics

Closed Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Cris
Banned

How to explain this fact?

The medium created the drawing, in my house and in the presence of twenty witnesses of the portrait of a young woman who had been dead for eighteen months and whom he did not know, a portrait recognized by the young woman's father present at the session.
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:19 PM   #2
Cris
Banned

translation correction
a man with mediumship drawing.

Last edited by Cris; 13th November 2019 at 04:21 PM.
Cris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:21 PM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

who cares?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:22 PM   #4
Cris
Banned

How to explain this fact?
Old 13th November 2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
who cares?
what is the cause of this fact?
can you explain?
Old 13th November 2019, 04:39 PM   #6
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Confirmation bias.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:45 PM   #7
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Confirmation bias.
This. Draw a vague picture and a bereaved will think it kinda resembles a dear departed.

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:50 PM   #8
sphenisc
Philosopher

T'internet.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:57 PM   #9
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
This. Draw a vague picture and a bereaved will think it kinda resembles a dear departed.
wrong, only the father knew what his daughter looked like.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:59 PM   #10
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
T'internet.
only the father knew.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:59 PM   #11
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by Cris View Post
The medium created the drawing, in my house and in the presence of twenty witnesses of the portrait of a young woman who had been dead for eighteen months and whom he did not know, a portrait recognized by the young woman's father present at the session.
... but had seen pictures of.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:05 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

only the father knew.
Did he keep her in a locked room her whole life?

The simplest explanation is that the medium researched the guest list ahead of time, practiced a bit with the drawing, and used well known psychological patterns to sell the trick during the session.

Do you have a better one?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:11 PM   #13
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Did he keep her in a locked room her whole life?

The simplest explanation is that the medium researched the guest list ahead of time, practiced a bit with the drawing, and used well known psychological patterns to sell the trick during the session.

Do you have a better one?
wrong.
You cannot generalize.
and the session was free.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:17 PM   #14
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Um, yeah, selling the trick isn't about money.

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:18 PM   #15
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

Did the father happen to have a photo/picture of the daughter with him that could be compared with the drawing?
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:19 PM   #16
Pope130
Illuminator

There are several unsupported statements and assumptions in your story.

The first is that you are reporting a real event as you remember it. Which I will accept.
The second is that you remember it correctly.
Third, that the father in the story did recognize the portrait as his daughter.
Fourth, that the daughter existed.
Fifth, that only the father had ever seen her.
Sixth, that the medium had never seen a photo, or heard a description of her.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:26 PM   #17
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by Myles View Post
Did the father happen to have a photo/picture of the daughter with him that could be compared with the drawing?
not
only the father knew the daughter.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:28 PM   #18
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

what is the cause of this fact?
can you explain?
Yes. I can perform feats of apparently impossible mind reading that nobody can work out using trivially easy techniques. This has over time developed into a tradition of me providing a miracle after christmas dinner. Every year, I have to come up with a new magical feat. I am currently practicing the boggling feat for this years christmas dinner. Last weekend, I gave it a trial run to my eldest child. He knows in advance that I am pulling a fast one, so when he says "How the <bleep> did you do that?" I am on the fast track to another successful stunt. This is how the illusionist works.Most of the time it all depends on the performer knowing things that the audience does not. or has forgotten. Or has been intentionally misdirected about. Or was not paying attention to to.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:32 PM   #19
Shrinker
Graduate Poster

So none of the 20 witnesses, including you, could verify the likeness in the drawing?
Shrinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:45 PM   #20
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yes. I can perform feats of apparently impossible mind reading that nobody can work out using trivially easy techniques. This has over time developed into a tradition of me providing a miracle after christmas dinner. Every year, I have to come up with a new magical feat. I am currently practicing the boggling feat for this years christmas dinner. Last weekend, I gave it a trial run to my eldest child. He knows in advance that I am pulling a fast one, so when he says "How the <bleep> did you do that?" I am on the fast track to another successful stunt. This is how the illusionist works.Most of the time it all depends on the performer knowing things that the audience does not. or has forgotten. Or has been intentionally misdirected about. Or was not paying attention to to.
You should not generalize.
Try another explanation.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:47 PM   #21
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by Shrinker View Post
So none of the 20 witnesses, including you, could verify the likeness in the drawing?
I already said only the father knew the daughter
what is your explanation?
Old 13th November 2019, 05:49 PM   #22
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

We have to, because -- as you probably well know -- we do not and cannot have access to all the facts. We cannot develop evidence on our own to investigate. We have no way of knowing whether the facts you are recounting are your best recollection, are true and complete, or -- as your colleague Ricardo showed us -- intentionally made up to stump us.

If you're not willing to be satisfied with general answers, don't make us try to explain second- or third-hand anecdotes.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:49 PM   #23
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

not
Did you happen to take a photo of the portrait that you could share here?
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:50 PM   #24
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

What is yours?
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:00 PM   #25
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Utter rot. I have no choice but to generalise. Why? Because your anecdotes are so vague that I must perforce guess your intended meaning. If, as you claim, you are unable to make yourself plainly understood, Ricardo, then the problem is yours and yours alone. Not anyone else's.

Try another explanation.
There are no explanations that either...
A. you would accept

and

B. vaguely understand.

What would be the point?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:07 PM   #26
Cris
Banned

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
We have to, because -- as you probably well know -- we do not and cannot have access to all the facts. We cannot develop evidence on our own to investigate. We have no way of knowing whether the facts you are recounting are your best recollection, are true and complete, or -- as your colleague Ricardo showed us -- intentionally made up to stump us.

If you're not willing to be satisfied with general answers, don't make us try to explain second- or third-hand anecdotes.
It is not an invention.
I have other evidence.
but for you it's just anecdotal evidence.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:09 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

wrong.
You cannot generalize.
and the session was free.
Of course you can generalize. It's a generalized scenario. Give specific details, if you want a more specific explanation.

And "selling" in this case means "making a convincing show", not "exchanging for money".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #28
Cris
Banned

What is yours?
the spirits.
they drew the girl through the person with mediumship

Now what is your explanation of this fact?
what is the cause?
Old 13th November 2019, 06:10 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

not
Not plausible.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:13 PM   #30
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

the spirits.
So all this attempt at discussing the roots of skepticism and the moral nature of mediumship was a sham. You're a believer in spirits and mediums.

Quote:
Now what is your explanation of this fact?
what is the cause?
I say you made the story up. I have as much evidence for that explanation as you do that some "spirit" drew the picture. Except mine is more parsimonious.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:17 PM   #31
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It is not an invention.
I have other evidence.
but for you it's just anecdotal evidence.
Yes, you're playing the standard believer's game of giving us a the cherry-picked version of an anecdote just so you can make a point of others' inability to find a prosaic solution. The last guy who tried that, your fellow countryman, finally had to admit he made it all up. So the first thing you have to do is prove to us that none of the details of this story are made up. Get to it.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:18 PM   #32
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

the spirits.
Don't generalize.

Old 13th November 2019, 06:23 PM   #33
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Do you have any evidence at all that any of this happened?

Do you have contact information for the medium?

Do you have contact information for the father?

Do you have contact information for the twenty witnesses?

Do you have the picture that was drawn?

Can the father provide a likeness of his daughter apart from the picture?

Can you explain how the daughter went her whole life without having a picture taken of her?

Can you explain how the daughter went her whole life without ever interacting with anyone who could describe her appearance?

I pick a person from the audience. I ask him to pick a card but not tell me or show the audience. I throw the whole deck in the air. I catch one card. I show it to the person and he confirms that was his card. Can you explain how I did it?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:24 PM   #34
Cris
Banned

Yes, you're playing the standard believer's game of giving us a the cherry-picked version of an anecdote just so you can make a point of others' inability to find a prosaic solution. The last guy who tried that, your fellow countryman, finally had to admit he made it all up. So the first thing you have to do is prove to us that none of the details of this story are made up. Get to it.
All you can't explain is invention.
stop generalizing.
admit that you cannot explain this fact.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:24 PM   #35
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

No one knew the daughter. Did you know the father?
It sounds like he was a stranger to the rest of the audience. Can you tell us anything more about how you all came to be together?

One simple explanation is fraud. The father was a plant.

You said that the session was free, but was he selling other services?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:26 PM   #36
Shrinker
Graduate Poster

My explanation is that the likeness wasn't all that remarkable, but the guy spoke up anyway in the hope/fear that this was his one chance to connect with his dead daughter. You and 20 or so people lapped it up despite having no idea whether the drawing resembled the girl or not.
Shrinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:31 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Plot twist: Cris is the father.

The "father" is actually Mother Gothel, and the daughter is actually Rapunzel. It's actually true that nobody knows what she looks like. And the explanation really is magic, because it's a fairy tale world after all.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:36 PM   #38
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

All you can't explain is invention.
Meaningless gibberish.

Quote:
stop generalizing.
Asked and answered. As long as all you have is a vague description of an event that may or may not have happened, only general, speculative answers are possible. No one is obliged to meet a standard that is incompatible with the quality of the evidence.

Quote:
admit that you cannot explain this fact.
You haven't shown that it's a fact. All we have is your story. Provide the evidence Loss Leader asked for, or admit that you refuse.
Old 13th November 2019, 06:40 PM   #39
Matthew Ellard
Master Poster

Scan in and post the drawing and a photo of the girl.

If you can't, we will assume it never happened.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:50 PM   #40
Cris
Banned

Meaningless gibberish.

Asked and answered. As long as all you have is a vague description of an event that may or may not have happened, only general, speculative answers are possible. No one is obliged to meet a standard that is incompatible with the quality of the evidence.

You haven't shown that it's a fact. All we have is your story. Provide the evidence Loss Leader asked for, or admit that you refuse.
I'm going to study skepticism
better not continue on this subject about spirits
I can learn about skepticism here in this forum
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal