ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th June 2019, 07:37 PM   #1
xjx388
Philosopher

Just saw the ISS...

Wow. My wife and I are freaking out because we just saw ISS. We saw a bright star looking thing passing slowly over us and we knew it wasnít a plane or helicopter. I pulled up the Night Sky app and -wow! ISS!

Sorry. Nerding out!
Old 7th June 2019, 08:29 PM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Nonsense! Hoax! It doesn't exist! The earth is flat!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 08:29 PM   #3
foophil
Graduate Poster

I remember the first time I saw it with my naked eye. I was geeking out too. Hell, I still do. Had it set for a while to text my phone when it was flying over.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Fidelio
Muse

A few years ago we had a nearly 90 degree altitude pass, with nice weather, just after dark, with an absurdly huge magnitude of -3. something.

All this on Halloween while giving candy to kiddos in the front yard and pointing out that technological/political wonder traversing the heavens.

Life is good.
Old 7th June 2019, 10:56 PM   #5
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
A few years ago we had a nearly 90 degree altitude pass, with nice weather, just after dark, with an absurdly huge magnitude of -3. something.

All this on Halloween while giving candy to kiddos in the front yard and pointing out that technological/political wonder traversing the heavens.

Life is good.
I assume you mean the NWO/Illuminati illusion, right?
Old 7th June 2019, 11:05 PM   #6
Fidelio
Muse

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I assume you mean the NWO/Illuminati illusion, right?
Well just between us, I do run one of the hologram projectors. How else to arrange such a sweet pass?

In retrospect though I probably should not have done a replay 20 minutes later.
Old 7th June 2019, 11:47 PM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Some of the Iridum satellites can be seen almost every night, conditions permitting.

still waiting to see these guys:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/25/1...ek-netherlands
Old 8th June 2019, 10:40 AM   #8
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post

Life is good.

I think that was it for us, just realizing the technological and political things that had to happen in order to send humans from different countries hurtling around the globe in space together, all in the name of scientific inquiry. Itís inspiring.
Old 8th June 2019, 10:41 AM   #9
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Some of the Iridum satellites can be seen almost every night, conditions permitting.

still waiting to see these guys:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/25/1...ek-netherlands

That would be cool to see!
Old 8th June 2019, 11:51 AM   #10
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That would be cool to see!
I also would like to see the Starlink satellites, although with some trepidation, because I fear this is just the beginning of a time when satellites outnumber visible stars in the sky: A future I very much due for.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 12:10 PM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
I also would like to see the Starlink satellites, although with some trepidation, because I fear this is just the beginning of a time when satellites outnumber visible stars in the sky: A future I very much due for.
There are are over 9,000 stars visible to the naked eye. There are only about 5,000 total artificial satellites in Earth orbit. This is nowhere near the beginning of the time you fear.

It's kind of depressing to see such a degree of unreason in a forum supposedly dedicated to rational inquiry. Did you mean to make your post on Facebook? Or Twitter, like Dr Degrasse Tyson often does?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2019, 12:56 PM   #12
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There are are over 9,000 stars visible to the naked eye. There are only about 5,000 total artificial satellites in Earth orbit. This is nowhere near the beginning of the time you fear.

It's kind of depressing to see such a degree of unreason in a forum supposedly dedicated to rational inquiry. Did you mean to make your post on Facebook? Or Twitter, like Dr Degrasse Tyson often does?

The complete plans for Starlink call for about 12,000 satellites to be deployed.

Perhaps you were unaware of that, but you could have checked before mocking another member's concerns as prima facie irrational.
Old 8th June 2019, 04:08 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't seen it in a while so I thought I'd go look to see if we had anything coming up. Turns out NASA has upgraded (read: completely borked) the site I've been using. Dang. Nothing soon for me anyway, near as I can tell.
I've tried repeatedly to catch it in the telescope but failed. Even with 10x50 binocs, however, it's not just a point of light.
Old 8th June 2019, 04:19 PM   #14
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

One morning when I still smoked I was outside one of our mirrored glass buildings noticed a reflected light moving across the windows. I immediately recognized it as the ISS because of how it was moving and the lack of flashing or colored lights. I used to catch it serendipitously about once every six months.

My first Iridium flare was a pretty wild experience. I even posted a thread about here.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=89754
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.

Last edited by UnrepentantSinner; 8th June 2019 at 04:21 PM.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 05:55 AM   #15
steenkh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The complete plans for Starlink call for about 12,000 satellites to be deployed.

Perhaps you were unaware of that, but you could have checked before mocking another member's concerns as prima facie irrational.
Thanks.

And Starlink is not the only company planning to put up thousands of satellites.

But to go back the topic, my wife and I have often seen the ISS, when my SkySafari program has given me a warning a few minutes before, but the most wonderful appearance was last summer when we - and lots and lots of other people were waiting to see a lunar eclipse. The Moon had not yet made its appearance, but lots of people did not know that, and could not understand why it was not visible. It was still quite bright, but it was possible to see Mars and Jupiter, and we entertained the impatient spectators with this sight, when the ISS appeared on one of its rare passes where it goes right over our heads. It was unexpected, and fantastic.

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 04:59 PM   #16
elgarak
Illuminator

Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
Thanks.

And Starlink is not the only company planning to put up thousands of satellites.

But to go back the topic, my wife and I have often seen the ISS, when my SkySafari program has given me a warning a few minutes before, but the most wonderful appearance was last summer when we - and lots and lots of other people were waiting to see a lunar eclipse. The Moon had not yet made its appearance, but lots of people did not know that, and could not understand why it was not visible. It was still quite bright, but it was possible to see Mars and Jupiter, and we entertained the impatient spectators with this sight, when the ISS appeared on one of its rare passes where it goes right over our heads. It was unexpected, and fantastic.
Hey, I'm just a bit south of you and have seen it the same night! I had seen it before a couple of times, but in this night the weather was good, and the path in my location just right to see it for a long time. Gave me a warm fussy tingle.
elgarak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2019, 05:23 PM   #17
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Somebody famous said that.

Sure, there are just over 9,000 visible stars in the sky...from both hemispheres.

Dunno about you, but I can't separate my eyes. Can you?

Surely, you might ask, that means also 2,500 satellites? Pro-rata and all.
Nope, because satellites have orbits and stars don't. Thus, On any given clear night of observation, while the same stars remain visible, the same satellite may overfly you several times. Hell, the ISS has an orbital period of 92 minutes. Now parameters might dictate that you simply cannot observe the second or subsequent passes. But you could. In fact, on a stargazing night I had one of the Korean sats twice at one sitting. KO-52 I think from memory? I can look it up.

The point is that (excluding geo stats) satellites are hurtling through our skies more than stars are.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2019, 12:17 PM   #18
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Lies, damned lies and statistics. Somebody famous said that.

Sure, there are just over 9,000 visible stars in the sky...from both hemispheres.

Dunno about you, but I can't separate my eyes. Can you?

Surely, you might ask, that means also 2,500 satellites? Pro-rata and all.
Nope, because satellites have orbits and stars don't. Thus, On any given clear night of observation, while the same stars remain visible, the same satellite may overfly you several times. Hell, the ISS has an orbital period of 92 minutes. Now parameters might dictate that you simply cannot observe the second or subsequent passes. But you could. In fact, on a stargazing night I had one of the Korean sats twice at one sitting. KO-52 I think from memory? I can look it up.

The point is that (excluding geo stats) satellites are hurtling through our skies more than stars are.
I think it bears pointing out that, even with 10's of thousands of satellites orbiting, only a fraction of them will be visible at any given time. To be visible, a satellite needs to be over the night side of the earth, but in sunlight itself. This is a fairly narrow band, wider for higher orbits, but a satellite in a higher orbit will reflect less light and be harder to see. I suspect it will be some time (if it ever happens) before visible satellites will outnumber visible stars.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #19
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The best ISS sighting I had was one that had it as a very bright, steady, and slow moving light that come up from the south western horizon about 2-3 hours after dark, and then at the highest peak of the transit it just vanished. Poof!

I figure that a lot of people seeing it would be thinking "UFO! Aliens!" but in reality the Station had just passed from the sunlight and into the Earth's shadow.

Checked it out on Heavens-Above as soon as I got inside, and yup, it had predicted the sighting perfectly.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:25 PM   #20
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Thus, On any given clear night of observation, while the same stars remain visible
I know this is probably shorthand but it's also wrong.

Certain stars will remain visible throughout the night, depending on where you live, but unless you live directly on the Northern or Southern Poles, there will be some stars that set and others that rise throughout the night.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology