ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #441
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
He's got two conservative SC judges appointed...
Lets ignore the fact for a second that the only reason he got 2 appointments is because McConnell was playing dirty.

One of Trump's nominations was Drunky McRapeface. Now, in theory if the goal was to appoint a conservative Judge, there was a whole list that they could have picked. Yet they happened to pick an extremely polarizing figure.

And it may have backfired on Trump and the Republicans. While there were some claims that it somehow "energized" the bigoted base of the GOP, it may have caused them more harm...

From: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-885940
In the poll, which was conducted after last week’s Senate vote, 46 percent of voters said the Senate "made the wrong decision" in approving the controversial judge, while 40 percent said it was right to elevate him to the high court.... enthusiasm among Democratic voters has surged. More than 3 in 4 Democrats (77 percent) say they are “very motivated” to turn out and vote in the midterms — more than the 68 percent of Republicans who say they’re “very motivated.”

Granted, the Democrats were probably going to take the house anyways. But had Trump picked someone other than Drunky McRapeface for the supreme court, perhaps the Democrat's gains would have been smaller.
Quote:
He scrapped the horrible Iran deal.
Was there some other Iran deal besides the good deal that Trump scuttled? You know, the one that actually had widespread support among former American allies?
Quote:
He's increased energy production, and cut regulations.
Energy production was already increasing when Obama was in power.

Oh, and by the way, you know coal? The one Trump seems to love so much? Electrical production by coal has actually dropped since Trump got into office, despite all his attempts to prop up the industry.
Quote:
And as you said, the economy is doing well.
It was doing well under Obama too. In fact, the rate of job growth actually slowed in Trump's first year in power compared to Obama's. And for the most part the Dow has been stuck fluctuating over the past few months.

Of course, the big difference is that when Obama left office, the economy was growing but the deficit was shrinking. The economy may still be growing now under Trump, but the deficit has ballooned.
Quote:
There's a lot more for conservatives to like than just the tax cut.
True. There is the racism. Republicans gotta love the racism.

And more poor people will be without health care. That's probably gong to put a smile on republican faces. (Well, unless they were republicans who actually needed Obamacare, but they were idiots for supporting trump anyways.)
Quote:
As for the lack of more legislative accomplishments, who should Republican voters blame for that, Trump or Congressional Republicans? It makes more sense to blame the latter, but those are the very people you think should be saying Trump was the mistake.
No, you should blame Trump. If he were a true leader, he'd be able to encourage congress to follow a certain legislative agenda. The fact that he's spending his time being a dumb ass means that he's not going to get the respect that he needs to actually get legislation passed.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM   #442
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Huge if true.

Potentially more damaging than the Mueller report.
This is what the GOP has come to. Disgusting. My ex-moderate Republican, retired AF officer, ex-Spokane resident father would have been horrified to have a POS like Matt Shea represent him in Congress.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM   #443
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
If I were doing that crap, I’d either do it from a burner phone or at the end of every chat type something along the lines of “I enjoy venting. I’m not really going to go to an Antifa’s child’s day care” or even “for entertainment purposes only.”

But then again, I’m not the kind of guy who thinks we need to prepare for a war between the righteous and the supporters of abortion and same-sex marriage. Or advocating the murder of unarmed people: “If they [abortionist] do not yield, kill all males.” I’m assuming that means the male children as well. It is morally untenable on all levels and it is stupid on all levels.
But I'm sure there are some good people in that group.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM   #444
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nonsense. Trump has delivered NO RESULTS that any other Republican couldn't also deliver with a majority Congress. In fact I would argue that Trump has delivered much less.
No other republican president would have had the courage to veto the republican budget to shut down the government so that is a serious win for Trump.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #445
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
EVERY PRESIDENT gets his judges if he has a majority in the Senate. Are you saying Trump has anything to do with that?
Ah but every other president limits themselves to remotely qualified nominees, so that is also a win for conservatives under Trump.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #446
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Holy Crap.

I'd love to ask Stacyhs what they hell they have been putting in the water up there in the Pacific NW?
That's eastern WA. Totally different animal to the west side. It's as if, once you've crossed the mountains to the east, IQ's take a sharp dive, the guns come out and the necks get red. It's the same way in Oregon.
It's one of the main reasons my parents (retired AF), who had retired in Spokane and my sister (who had just left the Air Force) left for western Oregon. They couldn't stand the tea party mentality of eastern WA.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #447
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Huge if true.

Potentially more damaging than the Mueller report.
Why? Planning to kill liberal traitors is just normal gun owner behavior nothing criminal about it, see the dropping of all those charges for the coast guard lieutenant. Nothing weird or criminal there.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #448
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
US President Donald Trump will make a three-day state visit to the UK from 3 to 5 June, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Mr Trump will be a guest of the Queen and will also have discussions with the prime minister in Downing Street.

Theresa May said the visit was an "opportunity to strengthen our already close relationship".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48020410
Nah, it's just an opportunity for them to make fun of him but he'll be too stupid to recognize it. It's like those 'ugly girl proms'.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM   #449
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

trump Tweets

The Radical Left Democrats, together with their leaders in the Fake News Media, have gone totally insane! I guess that means that the Republican agenda is working. Stay tuned for more!

In the “old days” if you were President and you had a good economy, you were basically immune from criticism. Remember, “It’s the economy stupid.” Today I have, as President, perhaps the greatest economy in history...and to the Mainstream Media, it means NOTHING. But it will!
Is he unaware that Hillary had a husband?

I would say that it is a show of how little respect he has for his base, but I think it is is a show of how little respect he has for anyone, himself included.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #450
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Time well spent
Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #451
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Lets ignore the fact for a second that the only reason he got 2 appointments is because McConnell was playing dirty.
Do you think Republican voters are going to hold that against Trump?

I could go through the rest of your post, but there's really no point. All of it boils down to the idea that Republicans should view the world like Democrats do. But of course, they don't. And expecting them to is stupid.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #452
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Aww damn.

Donald Trump 'set for June state visit to UK'

I forsee protests galore, reappearance of the giant Trump Baby balloon, and massive hyperbole.
It's already being dusted off - and they're planning for a much bigger one this time, depending on permits
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...uk-state-visit
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #453
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets (In response to Jared's Time interview)

Great interview by Jared. Nice to have extraordinarily smart people serving our Country!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM   #454
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great golf champion & friend, Ernie Els (@TheBig_Easy), has done a tremendous job in assisting those w/ Autism through his Els for Autism Fdn, focusing on Education, Research, Global Outreach, Recreation Services, Therapy Services, & Adult Services. #NationalAutismAwarenessMonth
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #455
Cabbage
Muse

Of course not--The point is that Republican voters will be ignorant enough to credit Trump for it.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #456
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Republicans might not... but in order to be successful you need more than just your own voter base. You have to appease independents (which will have an impact on whether you get elected, and/or whether your fellow politicians get elected.)

Then there's the fact that if the Republicans show themselves to be scumbags, then the Democrats will have to deal with them on that level. The republicans (both in congress and in the white house) clearly cannot be trusted, so there is little or no value in any sort of bipartisanship from the democratic side. While you may be patting yourself on your back over the fact that the republicans managed to get a racist con-artist elected to the white house and Drunky McRapeface placed on the supreme court, eventually the republicans will lose power... and at that point, the Democrats can then feel free to use every dirty trick the republicans have been using for the past decade.
Quote:
All of it boils down to the idea that Republicans should view the world like Democrats do.
You are right... it seems like its a bit too much to assume that Republicans might actually think racism and bigotry are wrong, and that control of the U.S. by a foreign country is something that should be avoided.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #457
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

The Radical Left Democrats, together with their leaders in the Fake News Media, have gone totally insane! I guess that means that the Republican agenda is working. Stay tuned for more!

In the “old days” if you were President and you had a good economy, you were basically immune from criticism. Remember, “It’s the economy stupid.” Today I have, as President, perhaps the greatest economy in history...and to the Mainstream Media, it means NOTHING. But it will!

Does he remember that the Presidential candidate who said "the economy stupid” was impeached?
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #458
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Great golf champion & friend, Ernie Els (@TheBig_Easy), has done a tremendous job in assisting those w/ Autism through his Els for Autism Fdn, focusing on Education, Research, Global Outreach, Recreation Services, Therapy Services, & Adult Services. #NationalAutismAwarenessMonth
Clearly a fake tweet. Trump is likely to have nothing to do with any outreach programs by anyone.

Firstly, Trump cares about nobody but himself, and has never shown any interest in the subject of autism previously.

Secondly, the capitalisation and spelling of the big words are correct. And they used "tremendous" instead of the Trumpian standards "big" and "beautiful" (however inappropriate).

FAKE TWEET!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #459
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Trump Tweets (In response to Jared's Time interview)

Great interview by Jared. Nice to have extraordinarily smart people serving our Country!
I imagine it would be very nice too. Pity it isn't happening just now though.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #460
Stacyhs
Philosopher

[quote=Ziggurat;12673744]Do you think Republican voters are going to hold that against Trump?

QUOTE]

Is there ANYTHING Republican voters hold against Trump? Bullying? No. Attempted obstruction? No. Acting like a toddler? No. Brown nosing dictators? No. Lying to them in numbers unseen before? No. Adultery? No. Paying off women he cheated with? No. Nepotism? No. Taking the word of a Russian dictator over his own intelligence agencies? No. Separating babies and children from their parents? No. Shooting someone in Times Square? Has happened yet, but if it did....no.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #461
Stacyhs
Philosopher

trump Tweets

FAKE facts, Donnie:

Quote:
The economy is healthy but not one of the best in history. Also, there are signs it is weakening after a spurt of growth last year.

The economy expanded at an annual rate of 2.9 percent last year, a solid pace. But it was just the fastest in four years. In the late 1990s, growth topped 4 percent for four straight years, a level it has not yet reached under Trump. And growth even reached 7.2 percent in 1984.

Independent economists widely expect slower growth this year as the effects of the Trump administration's tax cuts fade, trade tensions and slower global growth hold back exports, and higher interest rates make it more expensive to borrow to buy cars and homes.
Fact check: Trump team's distortions on Mueller report Associated Press - Saturday, April 20, 2019
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM   #462
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Fact check: Trump team's distortions on Mueller report Associated Press - Saturday, April 20, 2019
Trump 'distorts' facts the way a wood chipper 'distorts' tree limbs.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #463
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump spent a "significant portion" of his meeting with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey complaining that he was losing followers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ey-white-house
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #464
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Great meeting this afternoon at the @WhiteHouse with @Jack from @Twitter. Lots of subjects discussed regarding their platform, and the world of social media in general. Look forward to keeping an open dialogue!
Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM   #465
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I read a lot of the comments under the WP article; every single one was anti-Trump. True, it IS the WP and Trumpers avoid it like the plague. It's outside their echo chamber.
Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM   #466
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Trump spent a "significant portion" of his meeting with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey complaining that he was losing followers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ey-white-house

In short:

Waaaahhhhh!

[insert thumb suck here]
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM   #467
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Trump Tweets

Great meeting this afternoon at the @WhiteHouse with @Jack from @Twitter. Lots of subjects discussed regarding their platform, and the world of social media in general. Look forward to keeping an open dialogue!

Translation:

Waaaahhhhh! I want my followers back!

[insert thumb suck here]
Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM   #468
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

You mean the Stock Market hit an all-time record high today and they’re actually talking impeachment!? Will I ever be given credit for anything by the Fake News Media or Radical Liberal Dems? NO COLLUSION!
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #469
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is ALWAYS running for election.
Yep, he officially started his re-election campaign the day after his inauguration.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #470
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Jared still hasn't brought Peace to the Middle East or solved the Opioid crisis.
Trump should fire his lazy ass.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #471
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
Translation:

Waaaahhhhh! I want my followers back!

[insert thumb suck here]
That wasn't him tweeting. No spelling or capitalization mistakes, no attacks, no namecalling. Either it was very much NOT a great meeting and his aides are hiding his phone again, or it was a VERY great meeting and we'll be hearing what it was about in a future impeachment proceeding.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #472
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Trump Tweets

Ah, Trump and his buddy Jack Twitter . . .
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM   #473
AnonyMoose
Critical Thinker

Trump Tweets

You mean the Stock Market hit an all-time record high today and they’re actually talking impeachment!? Will I ever be given credit for anything by the Fake News Media or Radical Liberal Dems? NO COLLUSION!

Translation:

Waaaahhhhh! Why hasn't my approval rating gone over 50%?!

[insert thumb suck here]
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #474
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/...38424091226112

Quote:
New: Bill Barr has received a waiver to participate in the probe of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB). The waiver could give him a window into an investigation in New York that involves the Trump Victory committee & potentially illegal foreign donations.
Article embedded in tweet.
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #475
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1120800030598868992

Quote:
Breaking: The Trump administration just missed a second deadline to turn over the president’s taxes. This is intensifying a standoff that will likely wind up in court.
Article embedded in tweet.
Old Today, 12:59 AM   #476
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
It's very important for Trump's defense for him to keep on Obstructing as a matter of course, otherwise he might be accused of doing it deliberately ...
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #477
TofuFighter
Master Poster

This is what the GOP has come to. Disgusting. My ex-moderate Republican, retired AF officer, ex-Spokane resident father would have been horrified to have a POS like Matt Shea represent him in Congress.
This is not "what the GOP has come to". This is what Matt Shea has come to.
Hopefully people will see this nasty piece of work for what he is, as several people have already done, and he will no longer be able to represent anyone publicly again.

My peeve, of course, is painting a large group with the actions of one person in that group. It's just not fair or accurate, and I think you know that, and there are plenty of GOP members who would view this behaviour of his just as dimly we you do.
Old Today, 06:11 AM   #478
Doubt
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Jared still hasn't brought Peace to the Middle East or solved the Opioid crisis.
Trump should fire his lazy ass.
Maybe he got confused while using Whatsapp and is trying to bring the opioid crisis to the middle east?

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #479
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The American people deserve to know who is in this Country. Yesterday, the Supreme Court took up the Census Citizenship question, a really big deal. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics