ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 19th April 2019, 11:23 PM   #881
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I think we will see something come about. It's a process and it's not going to be easy. There is a plan in place and we're at step one, secure the border. I hope to see more steps taken by this President. I don't care who does it but I hope to see it get done.
"Something" came about years ago - the group that prevented it from being enacted were the republicans in the House. And now the idiot in chief has joined in on them when the dems put forward "something", because he prefers his xenophobic vanity project to any sort of effective solution to "illegal" immigrants (and yes, I'm intentionally putting the word in quotes because refugees are *not* here illegally).

Quote:
If there is some way Trump can get the border secured, that sets the table for immigration reform.
But Obama did this already, and House republicans balked because "AHHH! Real Brown People!" Want to get actual immigration reform? Step 1 is drive the current GOP out of office, they're irrational on this issue.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 01:21 AM   #882
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I think we will see something come about. It's a process and it's not going to be easy. There is a plan in place and we're at step one, secure the border. I hope to see more steps taken by this President. I don't care who does it but I hope to see it get done.

If there is some way Trump can get the border secured, that sets the table for immigration reform. Ideally, I'd like to see amnesty for all who have been inside the US for the past 10 years and have committed no crimes other than coming here illegally. I'd like to see all those waiting to enter approved en mass. To be fair I do think there should be a cut off point of 10 years, where those that have been here less than 10 years have to go out and come back in legally. It could be done and their cases could be expedited especially if they have relatives here in the US.

In the meantime, Green cards for all, get everyone here legal then begin the process of citizenship for those who want it. If someone has been working without paying taxes, they should pay a penalty but no more than any American would have to pay for delinquent taxes.

That's my wish list. I voted for Trump and I'm not ashamed of it. So far I'm happy with the actions he has taken to secure the border. His actions on immigration reform will determine whether I vote for him again in 2020. Everyone before Trump had promised immigration reform and none have come thru. If Trump doesn't get something done he's no better than those who came before him.

Chris B.
Chris,
You've been hoodwinked by an insincere narcissist who has NO interest in the matter outside of riling up his base in order to retain power. Have you not been following his pattern of promising a deal and then welching? A bipartisan solution was presented at one point, after he'd asked for one and pledged support if plopped on his desk. But then he capriciously reneged.

He's gone from reasonably decent proposals to ever worse ones, pissing on each in turn. All he wants is the fight. He has zero investment outside of that. Don't you see that?

Anyone satisfied with Trump's approach must either willfully blind to his real priorities/agenda, or they tacitly support a one-dimensional policy based on outright rejection and cruelty.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 02:33 AM   #883
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I can't believe how dumb this is.
I think that was the point.

Quote:
Finally, someone came up with a solid argument.
And what's your excuse?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:52 AM   #884
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Chris,
You've been hoodwinked by an insincere narcissist who has NO interest in the matter outside of riling up his base in order to retain power. Have you not been following his pattern of promising a deal and then welching? A bipartisan solution was presented at one point, after he'd asked for one and pledged support if plopped on his desk. But then he capriciously reneged.

He's gone from reasonably decent proposals to ever worse ones, pissing on each in turn. All he wants is the fight. He has zero investment outside of that. Don't you see that?

Anyone satisfied with Trump's approach must either willfully blind to his real priorities/agenda, or they tacitly support a one-dimensional policy based on outright rejection and cruelty.
This was the same angle discussed on conservative talk radio yesterday. The host stated that politicians don't want solutions. If they presented actual obtainable solutions and implemented them, the voting populace wouldn't need politicians. Instead, politicians use fear and division. They use a couple different methods to create that fear and division.

One of those methods is Identity Politics, which is divisive by its very nature. If you can convince a voter that society is rigged against them, they are more likely to vote for the politician who promises to fix this corrupt system and restore fairness that will personally benefit that voter.

Another method is causing voters to fear "the other side." As a result of that fear, citizens will vote for the politicians whom promise to protect them.

The point of this is so that Politicians can retain power which is then used to build their personal wealth.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:58 AM   #885
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Counties along the US Mexico border in New Mexico and Arizona have declared States of Emergency as a result of the surge of migrant presence.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 07:39 AM   #886
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
Counties along the US Mexico border in New Mexico and Arizona have declared States of Emergency as a result of the surge of migrant presence.
How many counties?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 08:21 AM   #887
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
How many counties?
AFAIK 2 total, 1 in each state.

Originally Posted by Custom Border Patrol Stats Released March 2019
Family Unit Aliens (FMUA) are crossing our borders in record numbers. This fiscal year to date, CBP has seen a more than 300 percent increase in the number of family units apprehended compared to the same time period in fiscal year 2018.

“We are currently facing a humanitarian and national security crisis along our southwest border. The vast increases in families and children coming across our border, in larger groups and in more remote areas, presents a unique challenge to our operations and facilities, and those of our partners, including the NGOS who work to assist these individuals and families throughout their immigration proceedings,” said CBP Commissioner Kevin K. McAleenan.
Source

I regularly check the news. The media has been focusing on Russia and Trump. It would also appear that a large amount of our politicians time and resources have been used on investigating Russia and Trump.
Old 20th April 2019, 08:29 AM   #888
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Source

I regularly check the news. The media has been focusing on Russia and Trump. It would also appear that a large amount of our politicians time and resources have been used on investigating Russia and Trump.
300% increase can mean it went 10 to 40.

And states of emergency can mean they need more money/resources. It doesn't mean they need money for a wall.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 20th April 2019 at 08:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 09:43 AM   #889
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

So....2 counties.

And last I checked there were 4 states on the Mexico border.

Texas alone has 13 counties on the border.
Arizona has 4
New Mexico has 6
California 2

So out of 25 counties 2 have declared emergencies.

And reading their declarations they are more concerned with getting the customs points manned than walls.

Quote:
Source

It’s like the President being in the pocket of a foreign powers is concerning or something.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 10:24 AM   #890
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Most administrations manage to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Only Trump gets wound up in whatever the latest news cycle is and completely ignores other issues.
Old 20th April 2019, 04:44 PM   #891
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Maria Bartiromo
‏Verified account
@MariaBartiromo

Happening now: @LindseyGrahamSC "we are working on a package to change the immigration laws & asylum laws. We will introduce this when I am back from recess. We will no longer hide in the corner. This border issue is too dangerous. @SundayFutures @FoxNews
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:23 PM   #892
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Maria Bartiromo
‏Verified account
@MariaBartiromo

Happening now: @LindseyGrahamSC "we are working on a package to change the immigration laws & asylum laws. We will introduce this when I am back from recess. We will no longer hide in the corner. This border issue is too dangerous. @SundayFutures @FoxNews
Wait - Lindsey Graham has been hiding in the corner? Is that supposed to make him look good?

What does that even mean?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2019, 06:41 PM   #893
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Wait - Lindsey Graham has been hiding in the corner? Is that supposed to make him look good?

What does that even mean?
It means, "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" but also, "Grr! I'm tough!"

Basically, Lindsey is gettin' all Roar on us:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Upchurch; 20th April 2019 at 06:50 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 11:13 AM   #894
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It means, "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" but also, "Grr! I'm tough!"

Basically, Lindsey is gettin' all Roar on us:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
A little bored, are we ?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 03:40 PM   #895
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Maria Bartiromo
‏Verified account
@MariaBartiromo

Trump is at recess? Is that a golfing term?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 06:44 PM   #896
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
No. It's where 10 year olds go so quite appropriate for Trump.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:17 PM   #897
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Source

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
300% increase can mean it went 10 to 40.

And states of emergency can mean they need more money/resources. It doesn't mean they need money for a wall.
And the source is the CBP website. If they say there's a drought, I'd bring a raincoat. They can arbitrarily ratchet up or down the number of detainees using their broad discretionary powers. When all they're reporting is number of detainees, arrests, etc... the indication of a "crisis" or "emergency" would be number of border crossings/attempted crossings. With the CPB and ICE, they can and will detain anyone. They are political hacks and if Donnie and Stephen say "need more apprehensions" they can deliver arbitrarily.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 09:25 PM   #898
Baylor
Philosopher

You obviously have not been to the southern border recently.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 10:43 PM   #899
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

People living on the border for the most part don't see an emergency. There are some pockets with problems that Trump is making worse, probably on purpose. And there are a lot of areas where people are fine and do not want Trump's wall or meddling.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st April 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2019, 11:32 PM   #900
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

People living on the border for the most part don't see an emergency. There are some pockets with problems that Trump is making worse, probably on purpose. And there are a lot of areas where people are fine and do not want Trump's wall or meddling.
What people on the border see is irrelevant. If Trump says there's an emergency then there is one. If Trump forgets there's an emergency and says there isn't one, it never happened.

You may find this reasoning hard to follow, but for committed partisans it's easy. Whatever your leader says 'trumps' whatever anyone else says, including what he may have said in the past. Facts are meaningless, observations irrelevant, the only thing that matters is this:- whatever the leader currently says is true, and anything that contradicts it is fake news.
Old 22nd April 2019, 01:02 AM   #901
Baylor
Philosopher

Border Patrol saying there's been a massive increase in illegal crossings.

Don't listen to border patrol, they need to make up numbers because there's not enough illegal aliens trying to get into the US (lol)

People living on the border for the most part don't see an emergency.

What people on the border see is irrelevant.... Facts are meaningless, observations irrelevant.

That was a bizarre exchange.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:06 AM   #902
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

We took a friend down to catch the bus to Kuala Lumpur a couple of weeks ago.

(So there!)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM   #903
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Border Patrol saying there's been a massive increase in illegal crossings.

Don't listen to border patrol, they need to make up numbers because there's not enough illegal aliens trying to get into the US (lol)

People living on the border for the most part don't see an emergency.

What people on the border see is irrelevant.... Facts are meaningless, observations irrelevant.

That was a bizarre exchange.
Indeed!

Quote:
Immigration detention centers nearly empty as Trump claims border crisis

Facilities for parents and children had nearly 2,000 empty beds last week while the administration says the border is at ‘breaking point"

US detention centers that hold migrant parents and children have been nearly empty for months, despite Donald Trump’s administration repeatedly warning that the US-Mexico border is at a “breaking point” because of the surge in Central American families fleeing poverty and violence.

There were nearly 2,000 empty beds in two detention centers last week, with a facility in Dilley, Texas, at 26% capacity and a facility in Berks county, Pennsylvania, at 19% capacity. On 1 April, the third family shelter was temporarily changed into a facility for adult women only.

This, combined with reports of aid agencies at the border overwhelmed by the food, shelter and medicine needs of migrants, has advocates warning that the government could be manufacturing a crisis to justify its hardline immigration policies.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-border-crisis
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:01 AM   #904
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That's a national emergency?

How come?
I think in Baylor's mind, people need to be segregated by skin color. If latinos move into black neighborhoods, it is like a genocide of black people in his view. Y'know, typical racism type of stuff.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #905
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
No. It's where 10 year olds go so quite appropriate for Trump.

I think a time out would be more appropriate for Trump.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #906
xjx388
Philosopher

I live on the border in South Texas. McAllen, Texas. If you are following this story, you've heard of us. My view is that there is nothing fundamentally different going on that hasn't been happening for decades. The one thing that is a bit different are the numbers; we hadn't really seen waves of unaccompanied minors and family units like we have in recent years. Like, so many people we don't really know where to put them when CBP releases them. Can't really blame that on Trump because it started during the Obama admin. When you speak to these people, and I do speak to them because I volunteer at the respite center, they are good people who are trying to flee really bad situations. They have some stories that will send shivers down your spine. When you ask them why they are coming now in such numbers, they tell you that they are afraid if they don't act now, they won't be able to later. During the Obama admin, they would have told you that they wanted to get their kids into the US to take advantage of DACA before they couldn't anymore. Basically, they hear rumors/exaggerations/distortions in their home countries of what the US is doing and are looking for any excuse to get the hell out of a bad situation. That's why things have been a little differently lately, but not CRISIS EMERGENCY different. Thanks to organizations like Catholic Charities and the citizens of the Rio Grande Valley . . . we got this.

Funny story: There was a group of doctors and administrators who came from the Cleveland Clinic for a conference. My wife knows them well so we met them for drinks. They REALLY wanted to go get a look at the border to see the "crisis" for themselves. Where is the wall being built? We told them, there really isn't anything to see there; it's just a border with a lot of traffic. But they wanted to see it for themselves. So we took them right up to river. They were amazed we were allowed to get right up to the river and there was only a regular chain link fence.

Them: "But they can climb right over that!"
Me: "Do you see anyone climbing?"
Them: "Uh no . . . "
Me: "Do you see a massive BP presence just waiting to grab them?"
Them: "No . . . but I've seen the videos of masses of people trying to get in. Where are they?"
Me: "Not here, obviously. I think those were isolated incidents."

At that point, a BP patrol car pulled up and asked what we were doing there. While they were taking pictures, I told the BP dude: "Just dispelling myths about what's happening on the border. We'll be out of your hair in 5 minutes." He chuckled and drove away.
Old Today, 06:36 AM   #907
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mexico’s Soldiers recently pulled guns on our National Guard Soldiers, probably as a diversionary tactic for drug smugglers on the Border. Better not happen again! We are now sending ARMED SOLDIERS to the Border. Mexico is not doing nearly enough in apprehending & returning!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #908
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

A very big Caravan of over 20,000 people started up through Mexico. It has been reduced in size by Mexico but is still coming. Mexico must apprehend the remainder or we will be forced to close that section of the Border & call up the Military. The Coyotes & Cartels have weapons!

Can anyone comprehend what a GREAT job Border Patrol and Law Enforcement is doing on our Southern Border. So far this year they have APPREHENDED 418,000 plus illegal immigrants, way up from last year. Mexico is doing very little for us. DEMS IN CONGRESS MUST ACT NOW!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics