IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 07:09 AM   #8481
DennyT
Illuminator

I'll thank you to keep your point of pedantry in your pants and just research the foxy assistant issue.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:16 AM   #8482
wheunis
Thinker

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
I'll thank you to keep your point of pedantry in your pants and just research the foxy assistant issue.
How do we know that the foxy assistant even exists? I mean, it could just be a man in a suit transvestite!

I mean, if you look at the way it walks, it just doesn't look real foxy. Nowhattameen?!
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 06:33 PM   #8483
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by wheunis View Post
How do we know that the foxy assistant even exists? I mean, it could just be a man in a suit transvestite!

I mean, if you look at the way it walks, it just doesn't look real foxy. Nowhattameen?!
I have always wondered about the Strike Button ?

Meanwhile:

Based upon new analysis of all the "frames" I have now come to a "reasonable degree of squatchy certainty" that this so called Patty is wearing "falsies".

Based upon the blur it still seems foxy to me ? So.. either they enhanced Bob.. or a male BF.. Patty into the 55D or fake BF in suits wearing falsies are .. well nevermind. I guess what I am getting at is this : The PGF is "enhanced" one way or another !?
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:31 PM   #8484
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by AttorneyTom View Post
I have always wondered about the Strike Button ?

Meanwhile:

Based upon new analysis of all the "frames" I have now come to a "reasonable degree of squatchy certainty" that this so called Patty is wearing "falsies".

Based upon the blur it still seems foxy to me ? So.. either they enhanced Bob.. or a male BF.. Patty into the 55D or fake BF in suits wearing falsies are .. well nevermind. I guess what I am getting at is this : The PGF is "enhanced" one way or another !?
Falsies?? C'mon if you look close you can see that she's getting excited by the presence of so many alpha males. That look over the shoulder was a coy, come hither look. What happened next is rightly shielded from the innocent.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:43 PM   #8485
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Falsies?? C'mon if you look close you can see that she's getting excited by the presence of so many alpha males. That look over the shoulder was a coy, come hither look. What happened next is rightly shielded from the innocent.
Well, tsig

I guess I will have do a total re examination of this evidence (sigh).

Is it okay if I get back to you on this at a certain time and date that might be appropriate ? I cannot say when.. I will have the rent paid though.. I promise !
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 07:56 PM   #8486
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Every 'Footer of note has played some kind of angle. Grover Krantz had the dermal ridges. Merldumb is pushing the mid-tarsal break. Munns is doing film analysis. Ketchum is serving up DNA hokum, etc.

Byrne's insight with his primary financier was to catalogue reports over five years in order to establish migration patterns. Once established, ideal field locations could be secured, with Byrne at the ready in his chopper, dart gun in the back and assistant bent over in front.

I have not seen his book, out of contempt I guess - but it would gain insights, possibly the most important of which is going to be pictures with that assistant.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th May 2012, 08:03 PM   #8487
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
Every 'Footer of note has played some kind of angle. Grover Krantz had the dermal ridges. Merldumb is pushing the mid-tarsal break. Munns is doing film analysis. Ketchum is serving up DNA hokum, etc.

Byrne's insight with his primary financier was to catalogue reports over five years in order to establish migration patterns. Once established, ideal field locations could be secured, with Byrne at the ready in his chopper, dart gun in the back and assistant bent over in front.

I have not seen his book, out of contempt I guess - but it would gain insights, possibly the most important of which is going to be pictures with that assistant.
I agree ABP

I would like to see atleast some blurry pictures and/or footage of this so called "assistant" before I make the call and or bra sizing ?
Old 10th May 2012, 11:02 PM   #8488
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Just a point of pedantry because Byrne's book was my sole window into the world of bigfoot in the 1970s, but Byrne brags in his book about his field vehicle - an International Scout. The Scout was a first-generation SUV designed and marketed to compete with JEEPs.
I too used his book as part of the basis of my youth's Bigfoot interest. As I remember it, it was written well enough to take heed in. That is, if Bigfoot was interesting to you. Being the good con man he is, I definitely got the impression he was being straight and 'honest'. One reason his shtick stuck so well was he so seemed like the perfect 'the guy' to be out hunting for such a thing as Bigfoot. Exotic big game hunter with visions of grandeur. If he can't find Bigfoot, nobody can. It's non-ironically ironic that that's proven to be completely true?!

Also as I remember it, he never claimed to have seen hide nor hair of the beast himself. He was always looking for something only others had seen. He saw the obligatory prints and casts and some suspiciously Bigfooty things of course, but never claimed anything resembling an actual creature (that I remember). Now it's clear that was on purpose from the beginning. Short of an actual creature, he was never going to 'see' the beast himself. I can understand how it was important to his con that he never had to lie about that aspect.

In a non-post I didn't make Tuesday because I-somehow-bungled-it-like-a-spaz-and-totally-lost-it, I too mentioned the 4WD International Scout™ Bigfoot Veracity Tour vehicles he was so proud of. Bigfoot wasn't gonna be out of reach for these guys. They got rugged 4WD vehicles with winches that can jerk on other winches' winches if necessary. If Bigfoot was up a tree, he was toast cause those 4WD International Scout™ Cripes They're Buying It Tour vehicles went up trees too. And his mentioning them as regularly as he did made it clear they were donated with his 'only good words' mentions being the stipulation. Sounds like just another one of perks of the scam to me. I mean, donated vehicles can only help the con right?!

"We're out out here bustin' our hump 24/7 looking for Bigfoot, with our donated Coleman™ lanterns, Bausch & Lomb™ scopes and 4WD International Scout™ Carcass Retrieval Tour vehicles, how much more legit do we gotta be?"
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 05:15 AM   #8489
wheunis
Thinker

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
He saw the obligatory prints and casts and some suspiciously Bigfooty things of course, but never claimed anything resembling an actual creature (that I remember). Now it's clear that was on purpose from the beginning. Short of an actual creature, he was never going to 'see' the beast himself. I can understand how it was important to his con that he never had to lie about that aspect.
Clever indeed of the rat, to deny the existence of the cat while at the same time keeping an eye out for him.

Bad analogy lol. I really do need to work on those...

But I can see how never claiming an actual sighting with descriptions, would save a lot of backpedaling.
Nobody can turn around and say X years later "what about that your description doesn't match {insert another footer here}'s sightings?"
wheunis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 01:21 PM   #8490
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Short of an actual creature, he was never going to 'see' the beast himself. I can understand how it was important to his con that he never had to lie about that aspect.

I think this is correct. I saw one reference that claimed he had a sighting back in the late 1940's, but it was not a direct quote from him. He did find footprints.

Byrne's tactic of posing as a master but playing dumb at the same time has become a standard. Munns pretends not to know splicing is done between frames instead of through them. Merldumb pretends he doesn't know how an occasional human print could have that mid-tarsal hump when anyone who has ever walked on a beach has seen them.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 11th May 2012, 05:41 PM   #8491
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
I think this is correct. I saw one reference that claimed he had a sighting back in the late 1940's, but it was not a direct quote from him. He did find footprints.

Byrne's tactic of posing as a master but playing dumb at the same time has become a standard. Munns pretends not to know splicing is done between frames instead of through them. Merldumb pretends he doesn't know how an occasional human print could have that mid-tarsal hump when anyone who has ever walked on a beach has seen them.
Madame Woo, sees all, knows all, tells nothing.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th May 2012, 09:00 PM   #8492
AttorneyTom
Muse

Can someone atleast ask her about the sizing ??
Old 1st June 2012, 05:46 AM   #8493
mustbeso
Critical Thinker

For what it's worth, Bigfoot Evidence is posting a clip of a film that is supposed to proove that PGF is a hoax. The trailer appears to present Greg Longs version comeplete with interviews with Bob H, his mother and the suit maker, Morris. The surreal part of this is that it is brought to us by none other than Tom Biscardi. Perhaps all of this should be re-packaged as a soap opera called As the Bigfoot Turns.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 09:34 AM   #8494
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mustbeso View Post
For what it's worth, Bigfoot Evidence is posting a clip of a film that is supposed to proove that PGF is a hoax. The trailer appears to present Greg Longs version comeplete with interviews with Bob H, his mother and the suit maker, Morris. The surreal part of this is that it is brought to us by none other than Tom Biscardi. Perhaps all of this should be re-packaged as a soap opera called As the Bigfoot Turns.

I was interviewed on Biscardis show a while back when I published that article on the footprints. Ho agreed with the claims I made about the footprints, and is also very outspoken about the PGF being a hoax and has been for years. Not surprising to see him put something together. I actually liked Biscardi after speaking with him a couple of times. Really nice guy.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2012, 10:07 AM   #8495
DennyT
Illuminator

I wonder what Biscardi is planning to do with his film. Sounds like he is diggin kitakaze's potatoes, so to speak.

I know, I know..
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2012, 05:58 PM   #8496
AttorneyTom
Muse

So... a Biscardi on the Rocks ? This could get interesting.
Old 20th June 2012, 03:51 PM   #8497
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I'm upping this thread on behalf of our under-educated newcomer, OntarioSasquatch.

OS, please read through this thread from page 1 before commenting further on the PGF. And before you commence to complain as to its length, let me just say: tough. I read 200+ pages of the BF threads here before my very first post.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 05:45 PM   #8498
AttorneyTom
Muse

That is a good thought.

I did the same. It was alot of work and I still missed things but if I had presented myself as someone that was really into BF and believed in the phenomenon I would have really looked naive or not understanding about the JREF or what has been discussed previously.
Old 20th June 2012, 07:55 PM   #8499
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Only 200+ pages doesn't quite tell the story..

We have 411 In the first PGF thread.. Here..

Then for some reason, the 2nd thread only made it to 27 pages ..

Here..

Which brings to the 200+ pages of part 3 ..

It's unfortunate that all the links to the old BFF are dead ... There were some great discussions there..

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 20th June 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 08:15 PM   #8500
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

What good is discussing it with people who aren't even open to the idea of it existing. It would mean no matter how much material is discussed I would always get the same opinion from the other side.

I'm open to the PGF being hoaxed. If the proper evidence can be brought forward showing it's a hoax then i'm all for it, but right now the film and BobH's contradictions speak differently.
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 08:21 PM   #8501
Jodie
Philosopher

Well the PGF just made my eyes roll up into my skull even when I was a proponent. Os you are welcome to your opinion, and even after reading more details you may still have the same opinion.

But at least be open to both sides. If the PGF interests you then start checking the validity of what people say rather than just taking their word for it. That includes those on either side of the argument.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 08:40 PM   #8502
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
What good is discussing it with people who aren't even open to the idea of it existing. It would mean no matter how much material is discussed I would always get the same opinion from the other side.
That isn't an answer for why you don't read the previous threads.

Quote:
I'm open to the PGF being hoaxed. If the proper evidence can be brought forward showing it's a hoax then i'm all for it, but right now the film and BobH's contradictions speak differently.
Translation: "I refuse to read the evidence, but if it were brought forward...."

They just did. Three separate threads. And you dodged answering why you won't read them. Out of courtesy to the others here.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:47 PM   #8503
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

I'm open to evidence. BF's existence isn't a matter of opinion, it's subject to the standards of scientific inquiry.

The "good in discussing" the subject with skeptics is simple: education. When I came to the JREF, I knew less about bigfoot than I know now. I hope that you, OS, will benefit from your time here as I have.

Yay! Start with SkepticalGreg's links in post #8499. See ya in a month.

Meanwhile, never mind Bob H. Assume for the time being that he is a liar, or grossly mistaken. His involvement is immaterial, IMO.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2012, 10:51 PM   #8504
River
Illuminator

Here's a link to an article I wrote about the footprints.

http://pgfhoax.blogspot.com/

This image is just a funny, but it does roughly point some interesting things about the suit.

River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 02:55 PM   #8505
Óðinn
Muse

Originally Posted by River View Post
Here's a link to an article I wrote about the footprints.

http://pgfhoax.blogspot.com/

http://werd.us/riv3r/pe.gif
Geez it's been awhile since I posted here. River, here's a composite from a graphic from your blog. On the right I added an expanded view of Roger casting the track.

1) Where is the stick/shadow in the 2nd reel frame?

2) Do you expect me to buy that Roger moved all that debris (bottom left in frame) before he shot the 2nd reel footage? Really? Why???

Óðinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 04:37 PM   #8506
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Óðinn View Post
Geez it's been awhile since I posted here. River, here's a composite from a graphic from your blog. On the right I added an expanded view of Roger casting the track.

1) Where is the stick/shadow in the 2nd reel frame?

2) Do you expect me to buy that Roger moved all that debris (bottom left in frame) before he shot the 2nd reel footage? Really? Why???

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...39711e79d8.gif
I still await your bug video.

1) the stick/shadow is not present in the footage showing an overview of the prints.

2) I don't expect you to buy anything. Why did Roger have to move it? Could it have been Gimlin? The wind? A passing raccoon? Who knows what or who moved it. It's not present. The locations are the same.

Last edited by River; 21st June 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 21st June 2012, 07:36 PM   #8507
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

All that debris ?

Why move it?

Why not ?

What's so hard about believing someone moved bits of trash out of a film site?
Old 21st June 2012, 07:38 PM   #8508
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Maybe because that is the right opinion? It doesn't matter HOW MUCH material you bring, it is the quality that matters.

Quote:
Translation: The PGF is a really crappy film of a still unproven-to-exist creature taken by some shady guys under shady circumstances and that is good enough proof for me!

People are telling you to read the probably 500 pages or so discussing this film. That isn't really necessary. Just find the bits with SweatyYeti and his(?) analysis of proportions of Patty and Bob H.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 07:41 PM   #8509
GT/CS
Illuminator

Never mind. I don't want to give away the surprise.

Last edited by GT/CS; 21st June 2012 at 07:44 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2012, 07:42 PM   #8510
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
You're right, Sweaty's analysis will definitely prove to anyone who reads it that Patty is a bloke in a suit!!!
Damn it. Don't give away the surprise.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:02 AM   #8511
fleabeetle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
It's unfortunate that all the links to the old BFF are dead ... There were some great discussions there..
If I have things rightly, it has become sort-of possible to get at the old BFF's archives once more. Very much "sort-of": one needs to be registered on BFF, and to get BFF "premium membership". This both involves paying a fee, and requires one to have a "new BFF" post count of at least 100. Frustratingly, that cuts me out; I spend a certain amount of time on BFF and occasionally post there, but my post count is only 60-some.
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:20 AM   #8512
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

All that debris ?

Why move it?

Why not ?

I believe you can still see the trash or remnants of it on the edge of the frame in the video.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fs8xhnsele85s6l

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:24 PM   #8513
Óðinn
Muse

All that debris ?

Why move it?

Why not ?

Not only move it, but smooth out the area you took it from so it would seem like nothing was moved. That's nuts. Same goes for the stick/shadow. Do you see ANY disturbances suggesting anything was moved? Didn't think so. Why move anything? What would be the motive? Don't you think there is enough doubt here so that River's blog is false advertising? Do YOU think this is proof the PGF was hoaxed?

Last edited by Óðinn; 22nd June 2012 at 01:26 PM.
Óðinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:27 PM   #8514
Óðinn
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I believe you can still see the trash or remnants of it on the edge of the frame in the video.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fs8xhnsele85s6l
Really???
Old 22nd June 2012, 01:36 PM   #8515
fleabeetle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fleabeetle View Post
If I have things rightly, it has become sort-of possible to get at the old BFF's archives once more. Very much "sort-of": one needs to be registered on BFF, and to get BFF "premium membership". This both involves paying a fee, and requires one to have a "new BFF" post count of at least 100. Frustratingly, that cuts me out; I spend a certain amount of time on BFF and occasionally post there, but my post count is only 60-some.
Have just learnt -- BFF's requirement here, has been (as of 15th June) reduced to a count of 75 posts. Here, this puts me in with a chance !
fleabeetle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 02:06 PM   #8516
River
Illuminator

Not only move it, but smooth out the area you took it from so it would seem like nothing was moved. That's nuts. Same goes for the stick/shadow. Do you see ANY disturbances suggesting anything was moved? Didn't think so. Why move anything? What would be the motive? Don't you think there is enough doubt here so that River's blog is false advertising? Do YOU think this is proof the PGF was hoaxed?
Sure is.

Maybe I should expect Gimlin to sue me at any moment. (or Pat Patterson) Bring it.

Last edited by River; 22nd June 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:23 PM   #8517
Óðinn
Muse

Sue you? For not proving the PGF was a hoax? You forget Superman, we don't have X-ray vision like you. Tho I'd prefer to have "airport scanner vision".
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:22 PM   #8518
Volsquatch
Scholar

Sue you? For not proving the PGF was a hoax? You forget Superman, we don't have X-ray vision like you. Tho I'd prefer to have "airport scanner vision".
Why? You already have "Bleever Vision", which is even better.
Volsquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:59 PM   #8519
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Volsquatch View Post
Why? You already have "Bleever Vision", which is even better.
That depends on whether you read his posts here or on the BFF.
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:40 PM   #8520
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

We already discussed that the area may have been raked...

With pics.

But I don't want to upset you.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal