IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 08:19 PM   #8681
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Óðinn View Post
Geez, Patty didn't have such a big butt after all.
That really is a shame.

And with the Morris suit in the museum, try to get rough dimensions. Pay attentions to the hands and feet. How many pieces make up the total suit. What the fur is made out of. How much it cost to make, how much it sold for. Ask how he got it "back" from the P and G. Did he buy it? Offer a refund? Steal it? How much does it weigh? Ask if you can sniff it. Ask if there are any pictures of Bob H. in or with that suit. Ask if Bob H. has ever come by to see it or commented on it. Ask if you can put on the mask, or any portion of it. Maybe try to just talk to Morris about Bigfoot in general. See how far his interest in knowledge of the subject goes. Maybe ask employees off the record what they think about Morris' claims about the PGF.

Sorry if this is a lot. I just think the more information the better. You never know what might be useful. And for what it's worth, I don't believe it is the suit. I don't trust Morris and don't know if I can trust Bob H. The more I read about everyone involved the more I am reminded of the Minnesota Iceman.

ETA: Patty's fur reminds me of something... I'll try to post a picture later.

Last edited by I am Bigfoot; 4th July 2012 at 08:21 PM.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 08:27 PM   #8682
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by I am Bigfoot View Post
Ask if there are any pictures of Bob H. in or with that suit.
Here's one

OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 08:31 PM   #8683
Jodie
Philosopher

That really is a shame.

And with the Morris suit in the museum, try to get rough dimensions. Pay attentions to the hands and feet. How many pieces make up the total suit. What the fur is made out of. How much it cost to make, how much it sold for. Ask how he got it "back" from the P and G. Did he buy it? Offer a refund? Steal it? How much does it weigh? Ask if you can sniff it. Ask if there are any pictures of Bob H. in or with that suit. Ask if Bob H. has ever come by to see it or commented on it. Ask if you can put on the mask, or any portion of it. Maybe try to just talk to Morris about Bigfoot in general. See how far his interest in knowledge of the subject goes. Maybe ask employees off the record what they think about Morris' claims about the PGF.

Sorry if this is a lot. I just think the more information the better. You never know what might be useful. And for what it's worth, I don't believe it is the suit. I don't trust Morris and don't know if I can trust Bob H. The more I read about everyone involved the more I am reminded of the Minnesota Iceman.

ETA: Patty's fur reminds me of something... I'll try to post a picture later.
Well those were my thoughts and why I asked for suggestions. I'm pretty good at getting people to talk so we will see what will come of it if I can even get in the place.

I had no idea the place was so close to where I lived or I would have gone way before now. That's what I get for not being interested in the PGF.

I'm thinking this is a suit like the one Patterson bought, not the actual suit. I also sew so I think I can at least get some kind of idea of how easy it would have been to change it.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 09:20 PM   #8684
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I'm going to go have a look at this suit type that is claimed to be the suit used in the PGF. If not open, maybe they will let me have a look anyway, no harm in calling and asking after the holiday. So if they do let me in to look, is there anything in particular that I need to take note of, ask about, or do while examining it?
Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. I Am Bigfoot covered most of the bases (although I doubt they'll let you try it one or know much about it), but you should definitely get some pictures of the feet and of any signs making specific claims about the suit.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 09:53 PM   #8685
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
That picture is remarkable by comparison to anything that is bigfoot "evidence". It is a crystal-clear close-up with the suit partially on/partially off to give both perspectives at the same time - both human and suit proportions.

I noticed our proponent has not done a comparison at-distance with the same resolution. You'd have to back off 50 feet and use a much lower resolution camera than above to compare to the PGF frames.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 10:59 PM   #8686
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Earlier I said I'd post a picture of something Patty's "fur" reminds me of.

Here is a bison.

But this is originally what I was thinking about:

It is a fur blanket I got as a gift and has crumpled up and smushed the hair down to get the desired effect. To me it looks like Patty's "fur" is matted or smushed down or maybe clumpy like the bison.
I am Bigfoot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th July 2012, 11:30 PM   #8687
Night Walker
Critical Thinker

So if they do let me in to look, is there anything in particular that I need to take note of, ask about, or do while examining it?
If you get a chance could you please examine and photograph the butt - inside padding and external appearance?

Be sure to brush the fur down. Thanks.
Night Walker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 12:10 AM   #8688
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Ladies and Gentlemen! For your viewing pleasure I present to you, for the first time ever the 8th wonder of the world, bigfoot!
I call her Pat Plus +

It's a bit rough. I photoshopped the mask onto his head and cut out the part of the picture too mangled for me to feel worth the effort to gussy up nice. I fixed the right shoulder a bit so it more closely matched the left. I put white in for the eyes instead of the creepy gaping black holes. Finally I tried to touch up the parts where the mask and the hand covered part of the suit.

Here is the obligatory PG f'd version. Note: The only changes between this one and the one above is that it is smaller (16 mm of course!) and blurry.

I don't think this proves anything. It was just an amusing activity.
Old 5th July 2012, 04:26 AM   #8689
Correa Neto
Philosopher

OMFG!

Those eyes!

Its zombie bigfoot!!!!

Run to the hills! Run for your lives!
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 04:56 AM   #8690
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Óðinn View Post
I never liked that comparison because the scale was wrong. This one's closer.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...tmidpoint2.gif

Geez, Patty didn't have such a big butt after all.
As a standard male Brazilian, I consider myself a bit of an expert in female butts. That is indeed a big butt. If that's standard size for you, you live in place where obesity is an issue. My veredict, I believe it to be more precise than Meldrum's mid-tarsal-break talk.

By the way, you noticed that at your comparison, the cameras were at different angles, thus inducing perspective issues?

Oh, note also it shows that certain claims regarding Patty´s limbs proportions being impossible to reproduce with costumes are flawed.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 08:57 AM   #8691
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
If Patty had no hair, many of us would be in for a surprise
No we wouldn't...

From the same people that brought you the ' chicken walk ' ...
Old 5th July 2012, 03:21 PM   #8692
Jodie
Philosopher

That just does not look normal. It's more frightening with the hair off of it....

So I called the number on the web site. Evidently it is the store, the museum is only open seasonally. Not only that, but they have moved the suit to corporate headquarters and it is not available for public viewing. I'll call corporate tomorrow when it is not my lunch hour and see if I can get anywhere with my request.

After I hung up, I let my imagination wonder a bit about why they moved the suit out of the museum to corporate. Do you think they get aggravated by bigfooters calling? Was it a nuisance to have it in the museum next to the store with people asking to see it all of the time? Was theft a concern?
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 03:24 PM   #8693
Jodie
Philosopher

duplicate post
Old 5th July 2012, 04:14 PM   #8694
AtomicMysteryMonster
Graduate Poster

So I called the number on the web site. Evidently it is the store, the museum is only open seasonally. Not only that, but they have moved the suit to corporate headquarters and it is not available for public viewing. I'll call corporate tomorrow when it is not my lunch hour and see if I can get anywhere with my request.

After I hung up, I let my imagination wonder a bit about why they moved the suit out of the museum to corporate.
I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with kitakaze's documentary.

You can fool too many of the people too much of the time. - James Thurber
AtomicMysteryMonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2012, 04:39 PM   #8695
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by AtomicMysteryMonster View Post
I can't help but wonder if this has anything to do with kitakaze's documentary.
It would make sense for him to contact them.

BUT it would seem that the HQ would likely be in NC. From what I gather, Kitakaze implies that the suit he's looking at ain't too far from Yakima.
Old 7th July 2012, 07:36 AM   #8696
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

New MK Davis stabilization on YouTube. This looks great when cranked up to 1080p and fullscreen.

Every time he does this kind of thing he gives skeptics a big boost. Never before has Patty looked more like a guy walking in a Bigfoot costume.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:02 AM   #8697
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Good find..

Davis apparently has an excellent copy of the film. Looks better than anything I have seen from Munns..

Does Munns intentionally share low quality stuff, or does he actually not have as good a copy ?

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 7th July 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2012, 09:24 AM   #8698
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Or maybe Davis is better than Munns when it comes down to image processing software.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:50 AM   #8699
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
New MK Davis stabilization on YouTube. This looks great when cranked up to 1080p and fullscreen.

Every time he does this kind of thing he gives skeptics a big boost. Never before has Patty looked more like a guy walking in a Bigfoot costume.
I would not be surprised if the bleevers on BFF were already using this to point out why it can't be a bloke in a suit.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2012, 11:06 AM   #8700
GT/CS
Illuminator

Correa Neto;
"Or maybe Davis is better than Munns when it comes down to image processing software."
Attached Images
File Type: gif Muttley-small.gif (12.6 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by GT/CS; 7th July 2012 at 11:08 AM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2012, 12:04 PM   #8701
Castro
Muse

Thanks for the link. Nice fringe on the upper part of the right thigh. It looks like Patty was wearing garters.

Last edited by Castro; 7th July 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th July 2012, 02:12 PM   #8702
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

Does anyone else look at that and think Patty's right arm swings more than her left for the most part?

Also towards the end it looks like there's much less pep in her step.

Last edited by I am Bigfoot; 7th July 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:51 PM   #8703
Jodie
Philosopher

I don't know how all of you see all of this stuff in this video.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:29 PM   #8704
River
Illuminator

Jodie there are a few skeptics with very good copies of the PGF. (myself being one of them)

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 12:14 AM   #8705
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I agree.

A poorly made costume, too.

Particularly the head.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 02:00 AM   #8706
Castro
Muse

I don't know how all of you see all of this stuff in this video.
I was just pointing out that the "thigh line" is very clear on MKD stabilization (from 0:00 to 0:06). Nothing new, it has been discussed many times before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (44.6 KB, 3 views)
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:09 AM   #8707
Jodie
Philosopher

I see what you are saying when you point it out, but from a sewing point of view, I can't see how that would work as a seam or edge of a piece of costume. Are you saying that is a fold in a loose costume?
Old 8th July 2012, 06:50 AM   #8708
Correa Neto
Philosopher

There are a number of ways to build a gorilla costume. Sure, some make more sense than others. PGF images allow a number of interpretations. Again, some will make more sense than others. Some features can be interpreted as seams within a piece or limits between pieces or folds in the costume.

Given the poor quality of the images, IMHO, one can not go beyond the "I believe this feature is a..." point. Guesstimates, gut feelings, etc. Yes, one could use an argument like "in my experience, building costumes in that way..." to give more weight to the claim, but the truth is the data to actually back it in a solid way is just not there. As an alternative, one could rely on what the people who participated in the hoax spoke about the costume. But, as we know...

Nothing at those images, however, can be interpreted as real muscles, hernia, etc., unless you are wearing believer googles.
Old 8th July 2012, 08:02 AM   #8709
River
Illuminator

I see what you are saying when you point it out, but from a sewing point of view, I can't see how that would work as a seam or edge of a piece of costume. Are you saying that is a fold in a loose costume?

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 8th July 2012 at 08:04 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 08:13 AM   #8710
Castro
Muse

This "straight line" is odd. It looks like there is a discontinuity in the fur that doesn't match with any muscle outline or any articulation.
So what is it? Just a flaw in the suit? the junction between two parts of the suit, the upper part covering the lower?
Anyway, nothing natural IMO.

Last edited by Castro; 8th July 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 8th July 2012, 03:16 PM   #8711
Jodie
Philosopher

Yes, exactly Castro, you would be hard pressed to say what it is really. It's definitely an unnatural looking line on the thigh.
Old 8th July 2012, 03:17 PM   #8712
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by River View Post
Jodie there are a few skeptics with very good copies of the PGF. (myself being one of them)
Once you get to know me better, do you think I could see it some time?
Old 8th July 2012, 03:28 PM   #8713
River
Illuminator

Jodie: If you're ever in north Georgia around lake lanier area, sure. My girl and I could meet you at a public place for dinner and I could bring a laptop for viewing. The scans I have of the individual frames are large image files. Bill Munns posted some of those scans and also some composite images he made from them at this link on his website. That can give you an idea of the resolution and image size.

Old 8th July 2012, 03:30 PM   #8714
Jodie
Philosopher

Well, I live close, and do pass through Georgia going to visit my daughter or for conferences in Atlanta. I'll let you know the next time I'm headed that way. Going to check your link out right now.
Old 8th July 2012, 03:59 PM   #8715
River
Illuminator

Sure thing, feel free to hit up my inbox.

Old 8th July 2012, 04:21 PM   #8716
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Good Lord what an indictment. All the road show audiences had was the unstablilized version.

When you compare the two, it demonstrates how hard Roger worked to conceal what he was doing. And he practiced with a camera, no disputing that, and practice makes perfect.

To my knowledge (limited!), nobody has calculated the distance between tracks implied by the film. I counted once, and got 18 steps, or nine strides. Men average in step length about 31 inches or 62 inches per stride. Patterson reported 81.5 inches per stride.

If both of them do 9 strides, one travels 46.5 feet, and the other travels 61.125 feet. That's almost a fifteen foot difference! People have done all kinds of measurements on height and I wonder if this one has been checked. Because if the tracks are claimed to be 81.5 inches in stride, whereas the PGF "creature" strode closer to 31", then the tracks were not made by the PGF creature. Roger made his tracks. Duh.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 04:57 PM   #8717
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

What are the limitations placed on you with regards to what you can and cannot do with your copy?

For instance, I assume you couldn't give private screenings and charge tickets but you can apparently do private free screenings. What rights do you have with the video?
Old 8th July 2012, 06:11 PM   #8718
RayG
Master Poster

Once you get to know me better, do you think I could see it some time?
Might have to try that line at the local bar some night.

And my mind goes straight back to the gutter.

RayG

Last edited by RayG; 8th July 2012 at 06:13 PM.
RayG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th July 2012, 06:43 PM   #8719
River
Illuminator

What are the limitations placed on you with regards to what you can and cannot do with your copy?

For instance, I assume you couldn't give private screenings and charge tickets but you can apparently do private free screenings. What rights do you have with the video?
I have no rights to the film. I have a copy just like many others do. It is the same as owning a physical copy of the film itself. (mine as high res scans that came from part of Bill Munns inventory) The copyright lays with the copyright owner. I could show it to anyone I choose, just like playing a VHS movie copy of it or DVD. The rights are the same as any copy of a movie you might have rented or purchased.

Old 8th July 2012, 06:55 PM   #8720
I am Bigfoot
Critical Thinker

I have no rights to the film. I have a copy just like many others do. It is the same as owning a physical copy of the film itself. (mine as high res scans that came from part of Bill Munns inventory) The copyright lays with the copyright owner. I could show it to anyone I choose, just like playing a VHS movie copy of it or DVD. The rights are the same as any copy of a movie you might have rented or purchased.
Ahh. Alright. I was just wondering if you there were special conditions you had to agree to or something.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal