IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Closed Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 06:34 PM   #10281
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

AlaskaBushPilot wrote:
Quote:
So it is hard to hide my contempt for it all.

And....easy to understand your contempt for it all, ABP.

I have much less 'contempt' for the idea of such human-like creatures existing....based on my direct conversations with a few alleged eyewitnesses...and because of the Patterson Film.

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 16th December 2012 at 06:37 PM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 07:13 PM   #10282
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by SweatyYeti View Post
Nice call, Vort....check out the difference between Patty's 'arm proportion' and a human's... ...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ndthensome.gif
That has to be the most useless comparison ever used, it shows nothing but a superimposed guy over a picture that has never been verified for size, stuff like that is just junk.
Old 16th December 2012, 07:51 PM   #10283
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
That has to be the most useless comparison ever used, it shows nothing but a superimposed guy over a picture that has never been verified for size, stuff like that is just junk.

How many 'arm proportion' comparisons would you like, Slocie?

The difference between Patty's and an 'average human's' (upper-to-lower) arm proportion is great enough....but, the difference is even greater when an 'extension' is added onto a human (lower) arm...

tyr13: "There is no proof of bigfoot so there is no proof that bigfoot isn't a bear."

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 16th December 2012 at 07:58 PM.
SweatyYeti is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 08:04 PM   #10284
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How many 'arm proportion' comparisons would you like, Slocie?
I would assume Slocie is looking for a comparison that actually compares something.

That'd be my guess.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 08:27 PM   #10285
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

AlaskaBushPilot wrote:

I have much less 'contempt' for the idea of such human-like creatures existing....based on my direct conversations with a few alleged eyewitnesses...and because of the Patterson Film.
But you can travel to anywhere they are alleged to exist, and it is pretty easy to set up camp and hang out for a good while... not a day trip like Finding Bigfoot shows, but a real committment. Soooo.... Why not?

Take Kitikaze's wonderful photo above for example, with his current target species. My last expedition for one of those took three months. It was a live capture program, and I do have a type specimen.

I'm trusting what he says about Munns, it wasn't necessary to hear his comment to know that. I can understand washing your hands of 'footery and moving on to his live capture program. The futility of working with Munns... sheesh, what a frustration that would be.

If I am to understand his journey, it was to start as a 'footer, to become a skeptic, to try for years in vain to bring other 'footers into the skeptic fold and to finally end up realizing the futility of that endeavor.

What that points to is an open field now with a fresh approach to Al DeAtley being necessary. Can anyone imagine Munns actually contacting DeAtley to ask for access to the suit his whole con game depends on not existing?
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 08:29 PM   #10286
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I would assume Slocie is looking for a comparison that actually compares something.
Thank you

Sweaty ~ I don't poke my head in very much on these PGF threads because I see them as pretty much useless when it comes to trying to find any conclusion about the film, I was a 7 year old kid when it came out, I have seen so many attempts at trying to solve the secret if you will, one thing I have always laughed at has been this superimposing of pictures over the picture of Patty, since no one knows the original specs of the film it seems very useless in trying to take measurements of any kind no matter how good one thinks they are at it.
Ya my thinking might seem dumb or stupid but unless you have the correct specs on Patty everything is just a guess, and since no one has them then I see no point in all this.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:23 PM   #10287
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

The difference between Patty's and an 'average human's' (upper-to-lower) arm proportion is great enough....but, the difference is even greater when an 'extension' is added onto a human (lower) arm...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...ongArmsAG6.gif
This overlay is such a poor match that it's useless to compare proportions, but I have to marvel at:

1) How cheesy Patty looks when overlayed with a Rick Baker suit, and

2) The irony of comparing Patty with a suit that's capable of performing the full range of movements you claim to see in the PGF... brow and eyes, lips and mouth, fingers.
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:39 PM   #10288
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Slocie's View Post
Thank you

Sweaty ~ I don't poke my head in very much on these PGF threads because I see them as pretty much useless when it comes to trying to find any conclusion about the film, I was a 7 year old kid when it came out, I have seen so many attempts at trying to solve the secret if you will, one thing I have always laughed at has been this superimposing of pictures over the picture of Patty, since no one knows the original specs of the film it seems very useless in trying to take measurements of any kind no matter how good one thinks they are at it.

Ya my thinking might seem dumb or stupid but unless you have the correct specs on Patty everything is just a guess, and since no one has them then I see no point in all this.

We absolutely do know what Patty's 'body proportions' are, Slocie...(and, hence...they can be compared with a human's).....because they are independent of her 'body height'.

Old 16th December 2012, 09:47 PM   #10289
AttorneyTom
Muse

We absolutely do know what Patty's 'body proportions' are, Slocie...(and, hence...they can be compared with a human's).....because they are independent of her 'body height'.
I am still attracted to her.. and . well.. she deflated a few weeks ago due to some sort of a malfunction with the fur but anyway.. she is still fetching to me .
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:51 PM   #10290
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
But you can travel to anywhere they are alleged to exist, and it is pretty easy to set up camp and hang out for a good while... not a day trip like Finding Bigfoot shows, but a real committment.

Soooo.... Why not?
Because, I don't have the 'free time' to "hang out for a good while", in the forests of Upstate New York.

I do have time to attend meetings of Bill Brann's Bigfoot Research Group, in the Whitehall area, though. Brian Gosselin is a member...and, he is one of the eyewitnesses I have had the pleasure to meet, and talk with, about an alleged Bigfoot sighting.

Brian and Bill Brann have been good friends ever since 1976, when Bill first investigated his sighting, on Abair Road. And Brian has been actively involved in searching for Bigfoot since his sighting...many years ago.

Old 16th December 2012, 09:53 PM   #10291
StankApe
Banned

I have been actively searching for Christina Hendricks in my bedroom,(trust me) and though i have had a few close calls and near sightings, she has continued to elude me.....
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:55 PM   #10292
AttorneyTom
Muse

The air is just seeping out of these things !
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th December 2012, 09:56 PM   #10293
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Please explain how we know this and who is responsible for calculating them. I would appreciate an answer that didn't include someone that is pro BF if you can.

Thank you
Old 16th December 2012, 10:04 PM   #10294
AttorneyTom
Muse

The suit as advertised never existed.. oh.. and Happy Holidays !
Old 17th December 2012, 12:59 AM   #10295
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

Because, I don't have the 'free time' to "hang out for a good while", in the forests of Upstate New York.

I do have time to attend meetings of Bill Brann's Bigfoot Research Group, in the Whitehall area, though. Brian Gosselin is a member...and, he is one of the eyewitnesses I have had the pleasure to meet, and talk with, about an alleged Bigfoot sighting.

Brian and Bill Brann have been good friends ever since 1976, when Bill first investigated his sighting, on Abair Road. And Brian has been actively involved in searching for Bigfoot since his sighting...many years ago.
I see, thanks. Bill Brann has this Northern Bigfoot Research Society with a dictatorship over who and what kind of "research" people can do in their by-laws:

http://www.northernbigfoot.net/

A couple guys in my school knew I was into the outdoors, so they invited me to a Boy Scout meeting once. It was in a church. They were doing crafts that day. I made a hot-plate for my mom. I never went to the Boy Scouts again.

This seems to be the same sort of deal. It's so contrary to the ostensible purpose. Meetings are in buildings and the thing you are after is in the woods. You really can go, even if you live in a crowded city, if you just try.

Even guys like Ted Bundy and Gary Ridgeway got out in the woods quite a bit despite not being outdoorsmen per se.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 02:52 AM   #10296
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

...Brian and Bill Brann have been good friends ever since 1976, when Bill first investigated his sighting, on Abair Road. And Brian has been actively involved in searching for Bigfoot since his sighting...many years ago.
I've resisted biting so many times before.

Once it was clear what your real shtick was - and I admit it took me a little bit - it's been pretty funny since, watching you so passionately pretend you're seeking some kind of 'truth'. 'Cause, as you would agree, and as your past posts could prove, you already know the truth. You're past truth. Truth is like so 1967.

Like in your quote above. You actively avoid the obvious truth. That suspiciously huge length of time with zero success means to you the exact opposite that it means to me. I have no doubt you somehow see it as hopeful, as virtuous, as winning. Especially given there's neither an allusion to nor contemplation of the notion that the beast's non-existence could <gulp> possibly <gulp> be the culprit. No. It's that your pal Brian is now a very wise and highly experienced 'Bigfoot hunter', who'd probably be closing in on the beast as we speak if he could just find a cheap muffler and 2 gallons of gas for his '76 Chevy Blazer.

Am I wrong? '75 Blazer?

Yet, and luckily for Bigfoot, he's got the exact same number of real Bigfoot sightings/kills/convictions that I do (none), and I've never hunted for or been arrested by Bigfoot in my life. At what point does the Mayor of Clueville's call finally go through? Seriously, 36 years of being "actively involved in searching for Bigfoot", yet - and this is the real important part - he's got nothing to show for it (Bigfooty) other than his original 'sighting' 36 years previous? Really? Not even a suspicious wooden foot? Wait, does he have a freezer? So it can only baffle my must-be feeble mind how 36 continuous years of utter failure at Bigfooting (or anything else) could be looked upon as anything other than La Loo La Zer. It's certainly not 'winning'. Then again, I'm probably just an overachiever.

Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
I see, thanks. Bill Brann has this Northern Bigfoot Research Society with a dictatorship over who and what kind of "research" people can do in their by-laws:

http://www.northernbigfoot.net/...
Is that website satire?
"The Northern Sasquatch Research Society
Mission Statement
1. BELIEF in the existence of the awe inspiring hominid creature known alternately as Sasquatch or Bigfoot.

2. WONDER that such a magnificent and elusive creature co-exists with us humans on this planet at this time.

3. DISCOVERY of who or what Sasquatch is, what its purposes are, how to contact and communicate with it, and to ultimately obtain an indisputable photographic or video record of its existence.

4. INVESTIGATION of reported sightings of both the creature and the tracks and other spoor it has left behind and of recorded auditory phenomena associated with its presence.

5. EDUCATION of the general public to accept that Sasquatch exists, has remained mysterious but harmless to us, when encountered needs to be treated with respect and admiration, and then engaged with the purpose of an exchange of knowledge and understanding.

6. PROTECTION of the hominid creature by both encouraging the public to accept it fearlessly and also through supporting legal restrictions against hunting or trapping or otherwise harming it in the Northeast and elsewhere.
"
That is verbatim. I didn't make any of it up.

Last edited by HarryHenderson; 17th December 2012 at 02:54 AM.
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 05:45 AM   #10297
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Too bad we don't (and probably will never) have the suit; then we'd see what's what! Could take all kinds of measurements and ****.

As it stands, all we have is a fuzzy film of the suit upon which one may draw all kinds of delusional lines in a variety of colors.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 05:59 AM   #10298
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
Is that website satire?
"The Northern Sasquatch Research Society
Mission Statement
1. BELIEF in the existence of the awe inspiring hominid creature known alternately as Sasquatch or Bigfoot.

2. WONDER that such a magnificent and elusive creature co-exists with us humans on this planet at this time.

3. DISCOVERY of who or what Sasquatch is, what its purposes are, how to contact and communicate with it, and to ultimately obtain an indisputable photographic or video record of its existence.

4. INVESTIGATION of reported sightings of both the creature and the tracks and other spoor it has left behind and of recorded auditory phenomena associated with its presence.

5. EDUCATION of the general public to accept that Sasquatch exists, has remained mysterious but harmless to us, when encountered needs to be treated with respect and admiration, and then engaged with the purpose of an exchange of knowledge and understanding.

6. PROTECTION of the hominid creature by both encouraging the public to accept it fearlessly and also through supporting legal restrictions against hunting or trapping or otherwise harming it in the Northeast and elsewhere.
"
That is verbatim. I didn't make any of it up.
Until I began reading the Bigfoot threads here, I thought all footery was satire; boy was I wrong.
Old 17th December 2012, 06:13 AM   #10299
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

This is no kind of news. Bigfoot is a religion, not an animal. A cult, specifically, as we all know. Just like there are Scientologists that are not nuts or social rejects, there are people who believe in Bigfoot, are not cultish, and are quite fun and cool people to know. Some of the finest people I have known in the last six years fall into this category. On the flip hand, the deeply religious, the society washouts, the people you'd dread to encounter at a dinner table, these are the ones that toil away in a piteous state of religious belief affirmation OCD behaviour. By my faith and all-encompassing devotion to soaring maverick thinker status, I offer to you Deity Patty, this fine gif I have made for you. With this gif, I smite filthy non-believers, scoftics, and the unwashed who do not know your powerful truth. I give this to you and I am crushing their heads.

Sunshine, soft skin, snowfields, fresh air, family love, see the world? No, my Deity Patty has called to me on my computer communication system and I have to show a moving mouth to change the world. Being a Soaring maverick thinker is no easy life.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 06:36 AM   #10300
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

AlaskaBushPilot wrote:

You're missing so much of the maverick truth of the world by neglecting the Reptoid, Mothman, Dogman witnesses. They want to talk to you, Sweaty. They want to share their stories. Yahweh and UFO's and Bigfoot is not enough. You need to branch out to be a true force of maverick thought.

Ghosts! Shadowmen! Truth!

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 07:08 AM   #10301
tsig
a carbon based life-form

There's that unflinching search for truth that has been the highlight of bigfoot research.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 07:30 PM   #10302
AttorneyTom
Muse

That's Entertainment !
Old 17th December 2012, 07:44 PM   #10303
StankApe
Banned

I have this vision where Sweaty walks into a talent agency, pulls out a projector and presents his amazing technicolor ape show and after the last slide drops off the wall he turns and goes THE ARISTOCRATS!!!!!!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th December 2012, 07:55 PM   #10304
AttorneyTom
Muse

I can see that.. and I would only add Ethel Merman singing a tune !
Old 17th December 2012, 08:05 PM   #10305
SweatyYeti
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kitakaze View Post
You're missing so much of the maverick truth of the world by neglecting the Reptoid, Mothman, Dogman witnesses. They want to talk to you, Sweaty. They want to share their stories. Yahweh and UFO's and Bigfoot is not enough. You need to branch out to be a true force of maverick thought.

Ghosts! Shadowmen! Truth!

'Doll-Hand Illusions'!!! ...

kitakaze "believed in" the 'dolly-hand illusion'...until I showd him it were pyur crap...

Would you like me to re-post your statements of glowing approval of it??

Last edited by SweatyYeti; 17th December 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 17th December 2012, 08:08 PM   #10306
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Resume View Post

As it stands, all we have is a fuzzy film of the suit upon which one may draw all kinds of delusional lines in a variety of colors.
That has been my take on it all along, I thought maybe Bills work cleaning it up would solve some issues but it didn't happen, it is what it is.
Old 19th December 2012, 05:26 AM   #10307
Locknar
Sum of all evils tm

Mod InfoDue to size, this thread has been closed. A continuation thread has been set up and discussion from 18 DEC 2012 and beyond can be found here.
Posted By:Locknar

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal