ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 30th June 2020, 02:20 PM   #801
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Who do you believe? Your own eyes or the Trumpers and Bernie Bros?
Imagine being a Biden bro.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:51 PM   #802
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
1. Manipulated video, deepfake!!
2. Biden's dementia is so bad it's come through the other side and he's deluded himself into believing he's a whole different person who doesn't have dementia!!
3. He's not demented yet, but will snap any second!!
4. Hillary Clinton's emails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. See #4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. All of the above simultaneously, especially the ones that contradict the others!!
BEN GHAZI !!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 04:35 PM   #803
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I watched Biden's presser today on CNN (missed the beginning but watched about the last 45 minutes). He was very clear, precise and focused for someone who "obviously has dementia".
No evidence of dementia. His prepared presentation was fine, and he answered questions directly and cogently. But he was about as low-energy as anyone can be and still stand up. He's been in public life a long time, and it's obvious that he's lost some steps. It can only be downhill from here. I wanna crush Trump, but I'd feel better if the nominee was Warren, Cuomo, Newsom, even Sanders, maybe even somebody we haven't heard of. Imagine Trump debating Warren. If Biden screws up one time, particularly in the debates, Trump will be all over it.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 04:43 PM   #804
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Imagine being a Biden bro.
Please, no.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:15 PM   #805
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
No evidence of dementia. His prepared presentation was fine, and he answered questions directly and cogently. But he was about as low-energy as anyone can be and still stand up. He's been in public life a long time, and it's obvious that he's lost some steps. It can only be downhill from here. I wanna crush Trump, but I'd feel better if the nominee was Warren, Cuomo, Newsom, even Sanders, maybe even somebody we haven't heard of. Imagine Trump debating Warren. If Biden screws up one time, particularly in the debates, Trump will be all over it.
What we don't need is someone who continues the carnival barker, loudmouthed 'high energy' rally type that sits in the WH now. Obama wasn't 'high energy' in that way either. Calm and dignified is what we need now. We've seen where the Orange Clown's 'energy' has gotten us.

You may have preferred Warren, Cuomo, Newsom, even Sanders but that isn't what you're getting so it's time to move on. Frankly, Sanders' constant yelling and outrage 'high energy' irritated me to the point I couldn't watch him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 07:42 PM   #806
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What we don't need is someone who continues the carnival barker, loudmouthed 'high energy' rally type that sits in the WH now. Obama wasn't 'high energy' in that way either. Calm and dignified is what we need now. We've seen where the Orange Clown's 'energy' has gotten us.

You may have preferred Warren, Cuomo, Newsom, even Sanders but that isn't what you're getting so it's time to move on. Frankly, Sanders' constant yelling and outrage 'high energy' irritated me to the point I couldn't watch him.
Yes, tone is of utmost importance.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 08:37 PM   #807
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think Biden is probably the best one to defeat Trump and become president. (Not that I think he'd be the best democrat to BE president... just that there are certain strengths in his campaign.

First of all, during the primaries he had the strongest appeal to African-Amerrican voters. Now, I recognize that the Democrats were probably going to win the majority of these voters anyways. But, in 2016 many of them stayed home, perhaps enough to tip the election. For whatever reason (his association with Obama), he'll probably get more showing up to vote in 2020.

More importantly though, Biden is also starting to chip away at the Republican hold on seniors.

In 2016, Trump beat Democrat Hillary Clinton among seniors by a margin of 52-45 percent. Today, Trump is trailing in most polls of Americans 65 and over, by two points in a recent New York Times/Siena College Poll and 8 points in a Quinnipiac University poll released June 18.

Seniors had been a key part in the republican success over the past decade or so... they preferred the republicans, and they also were more reliable voters than younger ones. If Biden is actually taking away some of those voters, it will be huge. I really couldn't see any of the progressive candidates (such as Sanders) having the same sort of success. And when Trump insults Biden (such as calling him 'sleepy joe'), there are millions of Seniors who might take offense at Trump insulting one of their own.

Yes, Biden will make gaffes... but the people that will care most are the people that were going to vote for Trump in the first place. And yes, he will have troubles taking some of far left/progressive vote... but stealing one senior vote from Trump is better than convincing one BernieBro to vote Biden, because the senior is more likely to vote in the first place, and decreasing Trump's vote share also benefits Biden.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #808
Venom
Illuminator

Uh oh. Looks like some on the left will be ready to cancel Noam Chomsky for saying Sanders made the right decision in supporting Biden.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:51 AM   #809
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's why none of them have standards and are oddly proud about it. It means they never commit the cardinal sin of having things you believe in that you can't live up to 100%.

This has been the weird sort of mentality they've been trying to really solidify as a central argumentative, this idea that trying and failing to do good or even trying to do good and only achieving "Mostly good" is some form of hypocrisy and their "LOL we have no standards, burn the whole thing down" mentality is somehow superior because of it.

It's why all their criticisms are based on some variation on "You tried to do X but only achieved 90% of X, I don't even care about X therefore I'm more morally consistent than you and therefore better."

You aren't as smart as you think you are, I'm an anti-intellectual proudly ignorant idiot, therefore I'm better.

You occasionally aren't "woke" enough as you think people should be, I'm an an outright racist, therefore I'm better.

You occasionally have corrupt people in your party, our demi-God is every from of corrupt imaginable, therefore I'm better.

They have argumentatively weaponized "I'm better than you because I don't try while you try and sometimes fail."
They've worked out that having no shame and behaving like playground bullies can actually work very well politically.

I've thought about another thing, though: it also protects them from counter-arguments. We've all had weird things we believed in at some point or another, be it the supernatural, some edgy political idea, or putting too much trust into some charismatic, but dishonest person online, and often we were saved from them by counter-arguments and reason from the people we tried to discuss them with.

When trumpkins derail threads with whataboutisms and personal attacks and in general try to "control the conversation", they also, intentionally or not, reduce the chance someone will post something that proves them wrong and make them think. If they can make their opponents waste time pointing out simple and obvious things like "yes, Obama lied, too, but there's a diffference between Obama's 20 or so lies through eight years and the 18 000+ lies of Trump", you reduce the risk of running into actual counter-arguments.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics