ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , border issues , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th September 2018, 04:53 PM   #1521
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Another update:

Quote:
he Trump administration is planning to shift more than $260 million to cover the rising cost and strain of housing thousands of undocumented immigrant children in their custody -- including millions of dollars from programs like cancer research and HIV/AIDS prevention.

The request comes as the program has been strained by record-high levels of children in custody, driven in large part by new policies that are holding kids longer and making it more difficult for them to be released to adults, such as family members.

It also comes amid news that the Department of Health and Human Services once again could not locate 1,500 children it had released over a three-month period.

There are more than 13,000 children currently in HHS custody, spokeswoman Evelyn Stauffer told CNN. The number fluctuates daily, but that is higher than the record-setting 12,800 in custody last week.
Linky.
Old 20th September 2018, 05:34 PM   #1522
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Another update:

Linky.

Not only do we lead the world in the number of adults incarcerated by the government, many for victimless crimes, I suspect we lead the world in the number of children taken from their families and put into concentration camps and cages for no good reason.

Let's all stand for the National Anthem. "Land of the free".

No kneeling, or you'll lose your job.

Last edited by quadraginta; 20th September 2018 at 05:35 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2018, 09:06 PM   #1523
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not only do we lead the world in the number of adults incarcerated by the government, many for victimless crimes, I suspect we lead the world in the number of children taken from their families and put into concentration camps and cages for no good reason.
There's no way I can think of that we don't.
Old 21st September 2018, 03:12 AM   #1524
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
There's no way I can think of that we don't.
Is it worth pointing out that there are outright genocides occurring? I find it quite possible that we don't in light of that, though I wouldn't make a bet about it.
Old 21st September 2018, 12:26 PM   #1525
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Is it worth pointing out that there are outright genocides occurring? I find it quite possible that we don't in light of that, though I wouldn't make a bet about it.
Yeah, that's worth pointing out. Ugh.
Old 21st September 2018, 02:56 PM   #1526
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

If you're looking for a low bar to compare us to that's a pretty good place to start, but I'd like to think we could strive for something just a tiny bit higher than comparisons to brutal third world autocracies just to make us feel better about the way our government behaves.

You know, being the Leader of the Free World and all that.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2018, 08:52 PM   #1527
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you're looking for a low bar to compare us to that's a pretty good place to start, but I'd like to think we could strive for something just a tiny bit higher than comparisons to brutal third world autocracies just to make us feel better about the way our government behaves.

You know, being the Leader of the Free World and all that.
Oh, I quite think that we should be striving to be, quite frankly, incredible, and that we quite certainly have the power to do so. With that said, I was only making the point that we might well not, in fact, be the worst when it comes to the specific things noted, contrary to kellyb's thoughts at that time. I was not, in any way, actually trying to make anyone feel better about the way that our government have been behaving, though. That I felt it reasonable to invoke Genocide Watch in response is already a seriously bad sign, after all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics