IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags genes

Old 19th April 2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Pimp My HOX Genes!

PZ had a few interesting ideas.

Anyone have a few of their own to add?

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

A non-Rockstar Rambler and dissector of Doggerel
Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th April 2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Heck, greater regenerative capacity and get rid of the hard cap on aging. That'd take care of 75% of the problems. Maybe add one new organ, a small organ in the body that's designed to be shielded by water, bone, and tissue, with heavy-duty filter systems on everything coming into it, that stores "template" stem cells (the organ doesn't have to be large). The body could use these to repair genetic damage, by restructuring back to the template. Would also make genetic modification easy, because you could simply modify the template cells, put em back in, and let the body do the rest.
Old 19th April 2006, 01:50 PM   #3
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

As a long time gamer...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th April 2006, 04:42 PM   #4
hammegk
Banned

My specuation is this:

Which is more likely to occur, first?

A major asteroid impact or supervolcano explosion.

Global thermonuclear/biological/chemical war.

A 100% fatal, airborne, supervirus emerging from some gene manipulation lab, or naturally.
hammegk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2006, 06:49 AM   #5
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

It seems hammy can't even stay on topic when it comes to humorous threads.

Warning: Beware of contaminated water supplies! Suspected source of contamination: Sarah-I

Bronze Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2006, 07:08 AM   #6
hammegk
Banned

Heck, I thought 4. was implicit ....

4. The 4-legged critter emerges from said gene lab and breeds true ... will these be Slaves, or Masters?
hammegk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st April 2006, 07:37 AM   #7
Bronze Dog
Copper Alloy Canid

Stay on topic, please.

Old 22nd April 2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Smart_Cookie
Muse

Hi BronzeDog:

I really liked PZ's original post. But I didn't have an idea to contribute at first. But ....

How about prehensile feet? I like it.

SC

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology